*** The Official August 2018 Thread*** - let's have some fun....

Joining in! Booked our "last minute" trip 2 weeks ago for August 14-19. I say last minute, bcuz usually I have our trips booked/planned almost a year in advance. :)
We originally were debating on October for an extended weekend trip, but when they released MNSSHP dates we decided to move it for the first party night. This way my kids wont miss any school, and they prefer it that way.
My DS6 and I have been to MNSSHP, but my teens have not, so we are excited for something new thrown in this trip.
We like to stay near the parks we visit, so:

Party- myself, DD16, DS14 and DS6.
Aug 14-16 Dolphin Premium Studio
Aug 16-18 CR CL TPV (first time at CR and first time CL, so very excited!)
Aug 18-19 AKKV (favorite, so we are squeezing it in for our AK day)

We are going to do the CL 90 day FPs, since it's a short trip, and not all of us going this trip so I can afford it!

I got lucky and got all my ADRs, using TP dining finder is a fantastic thing!
Not doing too many this trip, so we can get our moneys worth at CL. ;)
My teenagers haven't been to Ohana, so I want to take them this trip.

I threw this trip together so quickly, I haven't had time to adjust that we are going in a few months. :)

crazy times!! We just found out today my son was accepted into the Disney College Program Fall Advantage 2018...so he has to report-June 4. Since we already have a family trip planned for Aug.10-18th he will stay with us in the resort instead of his apartment and then commute to where ever he is assigned to work from there. My concern is all of my ADR's, the DVC moonlight magic and the MNSSHP on the 17th that I bought tickets for already. Not sure how his schedule will be so I guess it is all up in the air!!! Plus part of our large group trip are a family he lived with in Canada for hockey that he was going to be spending time with.
All good stuff to worry about, but does put a kink in my carefully laid out plans!!!

Very cool! I did DCP in the 90's and it was an incredible experience. Once he starts you should look to see if you can get a better room discount through him for your trip. Hopefully MNSSHP will work out with his work schedule, but you will likely have to change the party # for your ADRs. Unfortunately work comes first with DCP, and you don't usually get the ideal work shifts.

So everyone who has used ponchos in the past.... let's say you are on your way to an ADR, it's pouring rain and you have your poncho on. You get inside the restaurant; where do you put your wet ponchos? We tend to not carry big backpacks and just use cross-body purses. My hubby has carried nothing the past few trips. Do any of you wear something other than a poncho that works well but isn't super hot inside of it? Like a cute raincoat? :p Lame questions, I know.

Another question: I see the park hours show that the parks are closing around 8:30-9 PM on the nights were are there. Is this normal for August? I had thought MK stays open until late in the summer months?

crazy times!! We just found out today my son was accepted into the Disney College Program Fall Advantage 2018...so he has to report-June 4. Since we already have a family trip planned for Aug.10-18th he will stay with us in the resort instead of his apartment and then commute to where ever he is assigned to work from there. My concern is all of my ADR's, the DVC moonlight magic and the MNSSHP on the 17th that I bought tickets for already. Not sure how his schedule will be so I guess it is all up in the air!!! Plus part of our large group trip are a family he lived with in Canada for hockey that he was going to be spending time with.
All good stuff to worry about, but does put a kink in my carefully laid out plans!!!
Congratulations!! My DD did fall 2017, and is going back for summer alumni this year. We got APs last August when she started and I'm so glad we did-especially considering she is going back. If you think at all you may make another trip consider upgrading.
Also- as soon as he is able have him put time off requests in for when he must have off (like moonlight magic, party). Chances are he'll get at least a couple requests. The rest you can work around. My DD was custodial at a CBR. She was upset at first for not getting park, but it ended up working well as she usually got the days she requested off- including 3 during thanksgiving week. What is his role?
Very cool! I did DCP in the 90's and it was an incredible experience. Once he starts you should look to see if you can get a better room discount through him for your trip. Hopefully MNSSHP will work out with his work schedule, but you will likely have to change the party # for your ADRs. Unfortunately work comes first with DCP, and you don't usually get the ideal work shifts.
What year? Its DH and I were there spring '91! Are you part of alumni association?

So back on topic- we will be back August 6-9 for sure. May extend from August 4-9 if I can swing it. Looking at DS hotels right now- until DD can get on hub and see if any cm discount rooms. My ap expires August 6th, so works out well as the last day or two is spent getting DD packed up and out of apartment!

Hi All Question are Recreation Calendars for each resort vastly different between Spring and Summer? Can I use the April Recreation Calendars for AOA & AKL to plan resort activities for my August trip?

Thanks for any help

What year? Its DH and I were there spring '91! Are you part of alumni association?

Spring '95, one of the very first female Jungle Cruise skippers. And yes, I have my Alumni tee turned tank top, car sticker and cool post cards, but haven't been to any of the alumni events. It was such an amazing experience, i still have it on my resume, and I still keep in touch with some DCP friends.

It's weird mentioning it to CPs when at WDW though, they look at you like you are insane. I do sprinkle lots of pixie dust for my Jungle Cruise skippers and anyone that is extra nice in Adventureland. I also drag my family on the Jungle Cruise way too much.
:tinker:

So everyone who has used ponchos in the past.... let's say you are on your way to an ADR, it's pouring rain and you have your poncho on. You get inside the restaurant; where do you put your wet ponchos? We tend to not carry big backpacks and just use cross-body purses. My hubby has carried nothing the past few trips. Do any of you wear something other than a poncho that works well but isn't super hot inside of it? Like a cute raincoat? :p Lame questions, I know.
We usually take off our ponchos right before we go into a restaurant so we can shake them off, then we quickly roll them up and put them in a plastic bag.

Another question: I see the park hours show that the parks are closing around 8:30-9 PM on the nights were are there. Is this normal for August? I had thought MK stays open until late in the summer months?

I would imagine that park hours might be extended at HS once Toystory land opens. Last year Pandora at AK was open til 11pm til the third week of August, and then it was a 9pm closing during the last week. Epcot hours are usually 9pm.

Maybe MK hours will be extended till 10 possibly 11 on a few nights? It's hard to say, especially now that there are 3 MNSSHP dates in August. We've been going to DW in mid to late August for years. It was the norm many years ago for 11pm closings and EMH's til 2am, but the past few years 9 or 10 pm seems to be the norm.

I would imagine that park hours might be extended at HS once Toystory land opens. Last year Pandora at AK was open til 11pm til the third week of August, and then it was a 9pm closing during the last week. Epcot hours are usually 9pm.

Maybe MK hours will be extended till 10 possibly 11 on a few nights? It's hard to say, especially now that there are 3 MNSSHP dates in August. We've been going to DW in mid to late August for years. It was the norm many years ago for 11pm closings and EMH's til 2am, but the past few years 9 or 10 pm seems to be the norm.
Thanks so much for your responses! We are more late night people, so I was hoping for a few more late night MK closings. (well my girls and I like the late nights.... hubby, not so much ;)) We shall see!

I tried using a rain poncho one time. The problem for me is, I wound up sweating so much that it was just as wet inside the poncho as it was outside, and it *might* have smelled worse in there too lol. DW uses them, and carries them in either the plastic pouch they came in, or a zip lock bag. When we get to meals, she will take it off outside, shake it out a bit, roll it up and put it back in the bag.

In years past, it was typical for MK to close somewhere between 10 PM and 12 PM in August. Last year, if I remember correctly, the closing was at 10 PM for pretty much our entire August trip, with perhaps one or two 9 PM closings towards the end. Based on that, I would guess 10 PM might be what you should expect.

I tried using a rain poncho one time. The problem for me is, I wound up sweating so much that it was just as wet inside the poncho as it was outside, and it *might* have smelled worse in there too lol. DW uses them, and carries them in either the plastic pouch they came in, or a zip lock bag. When we get to meals, she will take it off outside, shake it out a bit, roll it up and put it back in the bag.

In years past, it was typical for MK to close somewhere between 10 PM and 12 PM in August. Last year, if I remember correctly, the closing was at 10 PM for pretty much our entire August trip, with perhaps one or two 9 PM closings towards the end. Based on that, I would guess 10 PM might be what you should expect.
Thanks Tom! 10 pm would be cool!

And I could see my hubby sweating up a storm inside the poncho too! I highly doubt he would wear one. I just don't want to sit inside a/c, wet and freezing.

Thanks Tom! 10 pm would be cool!

And I could see my hubby sweating up a storm inside the poncho too! I highly doubt he would wear one. I just don't want to sit inside a/c, wet and freezing.
Yeah, I came to the realization that I was going to be wet with, or without the poncho, and at least without, I smelled good lol.

My prelimary schedule. My over planning is kicking in.

August 15th -- late arrival/POP
August 16th -- pool day/5pm Saana
August 17th -- Animal Kingdom 10:30 Tusker House
August 18th -- EPCOT 12:30 Biergarten
August 19th -- MK 8:15 La Hacienda San Angel (Illuminations)
August 20th -- Relax/Pool Day
August 21st -- HS 11:35 Mama Melrose Fantasmic lunch
August 22nd -- AK
August 23rd -- EP 11:45 Coral Reef
August 24th -- MK MNSSHP ???
August 25th -- Relax/Pool Day 4:30 Raglan Road
August 26th -- AK
August 27th -- HS 5:15 Saana
August 28th -- MK
Flight out at 8:30 PM

My prelimary schedule. My over planning is kicking in.

August 15th -- late arrival/POP
August 16th -- pool day/5pm Saana
August 17th -- Animal Kingdom 10:30 Tusker House
August 18th -- EPCOT 12:30 Biergarten
August 19th -- MK 8:15 La Hacienda San Angel (Illuminations)
August 20th -- Relax/Pool Day
August 21st -- HS 11:35 Mama Melrose Fantasmic lunch
August 22nd -- AK
August 23rd -- EP 11:45 Coral Reef
August 24th -- MK MNSSHP ???
August 25th -- Relax/Pool Day 4:30 Raglan Road
August 26th -- AK
August 27th -- HS 5:15 Saana
August 28th -- MK
Flight out at 8:30 PM
I want to obsessively plan but need to see when/if FD is to see exactly where we are staying. Gah!
Only thing I know is we plan on going to MNSSHP the same night :)

Have you been to Saana before? I am guessing you have and that you liked it quite a bit to hop over to AKL twice to eat there :) I plan on trying it when I go on my 'girl's' trip in November.

I want to obsessively plan but need to see when/if FD is to see exactly where we are staying. Gah!
Only thing I know is we plan on going to MNSSHP the same night :)

Have you been to Saana before? I am guessing you have and that you liked it quite a bit to hop over to AKL twice to eat there :) I plan on trying it when I go on my 'girl's' trip in November.

I am hoping for room discounts.

Saana is our favorite. My kids requested it twice. We never spend all day at a park, so it's not much to hop to AKL for a meal.

I will be dropping a Be Our Guest dinner on August 26 at 6:35 pm for 4 people if anyone wants to try and coordinate.

The changes to the pricing and menu, don't work for us.

Well, not sure if we will keep this or not but I booked today! AP discounts for summer are out and I got a cabin for about $10 more a night than two rooms with an AP discount at Pop! I don't have to stress over FD now but am still keeping an eye out in case it is a better deal.

I didn't realize until after we booked, the last time we stayed at Ft. Wilderness was when my oldest turned 16. Maybe it is meant to be since this is also a sweet 16 trip :thumbsup2

Ok so I priced out a FD package given the rumors and the AP deal is better for us- so it is official we are staying at Ft Wilderness Aug 18th-25! So fun to start planning now that I have that settled!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter