*** The Official August 2018 Thread*** - let's have some fun....

WDW
Magic Kingdom
Ride :Haunted Mansion
Show: Monsters Inc laugh floor
Food: LTT Ooey gooey dessert

Epcot
Ride: Test Track
Show: Jammitors
Food: pretty much anything from Flower&Garden, runner up-blood orange Margerita in Mexico

Hollywood Studios
Ride: Tower of Terror
Show: Indiana Jones. (I enjoyed backlot tour many moons ago)
Food: HBD lounge small plates and drinks!

Animal Kingdom
Ride: Expedition everest/Kilamanjaro Safari's/FoP (cannot pick one!)
Show: Festival of Lion King
Food: Nomad or Satu'li Canteen

UO (love this idea)

Universal Studios
Ride: Mummy/ Gringotts
Show: Blues Brothers-can't wait to check out new cinematic celebration.
Drink: Frozen Butterbeer

Islands of Adventure
Ride: Hulk/Forbidden Journey (especially walk through regular line!)
Show: Nighttime light show at Hogwarts/
Drink: anything from WWoHP eateries. (the best food is outside the parks on Citywalk-Toothsome-yumm!)

Same here. We will be there for about 9 days; but have 5 days worth of tickets right now. It's next to nothing to add more days once you're past 4 of 5 anyway. Also want to visit Blizzard Beach again. Last year I bought from a seller who had 2 day tickets with a free water park entry added on. It just had a restriction of going after 2pm. I figured it would be a good chance to try one. We loved it; but to go for one day is $200 for us while adding the water park and more option is $300. We don't usually hop; but there's no option for getting water park added on without hopping so going to make the decision once we are there and the weather is a bit more predictable.
Consider AP upgrade for one person? Get discounts, Memory maker and there is an AP special right now of $49 water park tickets. And $30 for Disney after DArk tickets.

36 more days until we are at Wilderness Lodge for the first time! Yay!!!

Magic Kingdom:
Ride: Splash Mountain
Show: Mickey's Philharmagic
Food: All American Sundae at the Plaza :P

Epcot:
Show: Illuminations
Food: Beer in Germany :D

Hollywood Studios:
Ride: Rock-n-Rollercoaster
Show: Fantasmic
Food: Sci-Fi restaurant

Animal Kingdom:
Ride: EE
Show: Festival of Lion King
Food: Tusker House

Hmmm...I was planning on purchasing Memory Maker so I am going to look into this.
I meant to type $30 off disney after dark tickets lol. They are still kinda pricy.
Most TS get 10% off meals, 20% most merchandise. And if you go back before AP expires you aren't tied to onsite as theme park parking included. It's a nice freedom :)

Forever Disney::MickeyMo...

Magic Kingdom:

7DMT
CoP & Astro Orbiter (tradition) :goodvibes
Dapper Dans
HEA/Tink
Dole Whip Float

EPCOT:

Soarin'
Spaceship Earth (tradition) :goodvibes
Mexico: pottery, silver jewelry
Illuminations
France: Grand Marnier Orange Slush

DHS:

Slinky Dog Dash (predict this will be our new fave)
Sci Fi Dine in Theater (tradition) :goodvibes
Citizens of Hollywood
Star Wars Galactic Spectacular
Carrot cake cookie/Trolley Car Cafe

Animal Kingdom:

FoP
Festival of the Lion King (tradition) :goodvibes
Pandora at night
Chicken fried rice & honey chicken @ Yak & Yeti

(Haven't been since before Pandora.)

UO

Universal Studios
Ride: 3-way tie Mummy, Transformers, Gringotts
Show: Parade
Drink: Frozen Butterbeer (I really want to try some ice cream at Florean Fortescue's, though! Next time)

Islands of Adventure
Ride: 2-way tie Kong, Hulk
Show: Hogwarts night time lights show
Drink: Umm, Frozen Butterbeer, or Fire & Chata from Hogs Head

Non-Park Food Mention I can't leave out: At Portofino Bay hotel - Sal's Classic Italian sub at Sal's Market Deli (so delicious!)​
Some people in my party are heading to HP and I have done zero research for them :scared: I don't even know what the Hogwarts night time lights show is - I better remind my eldest that mom is not taking care of their HP day for them...

Some people in my party are heading to HP and I have done zero research for them :scared: I don't even know what the Hogwarts night time lights show is - I better remind my eldest that mom is not taking care of their HP day for them...

Ha! You could send them to the UO section here; in addition to stickies and threads on the parks and rides generally, there’s some great stickies on the Harry Potter lands. https://www.disboards.com/forums/universal-studios-islands-of-adventure-forums.30/

Also, they can go to orlandoinformer. Tons of info, including a huge and very helpful section devoted to Harry Potter.
Main- https://orlandoinformer.com/universal
HP- https://orlandoinformer.com/universal#wwohp

The Hogwarts night time light show: https://www.undercovertourist.com/blog/nighttime-lights-hogwarts-castle/

Hello Everyone! I am late to arrive to this thread, but we planned our trip a little late, just over a month ago. We are going August 23-Sept 1. I'm taking two of my kids, DD13, and DS17, and we are all Disney veterans. But this year we also have my fiance, and his DD16 who have never been. So this should be a fun trip! Staying at AKL in a 1BR. It was either cram into a 1BR for 9 nights, or do the 2BR for 6, so we decided to stay longer. Also we have never been in August before, and I am preparing for less park time, and more breaks in the afternoon to get out of the heat. I just hope we don't regret taking an August trip. For 5 Adults and free dining, it was kind of our only choice. The kids would have had so much work to make up if I had taken them out of school. :(

Myself and my kids have been probably 20 times, so its hard to find stuff that we haven't done before. But we haven't been since 2/16, and that was before Avatar was open, so this will be new for us. We also booked a couple of meals we never have tried before - 50's Prime Time Cafe, Tutto Italia, and Tusker House for Dinner. Also trying the Star Wars Dessert Party. I haven't seen Illuminations for probably 20 years, so that will be like a new thing too. But going with 2 first timers should be a blast. My fiance just thinks its an "amusement park with all kiddie rides." You try to tell people that have never been that its just so much more than that, but they have to see it to believe it!

Lets go August!

We go in August every summer. It isn't that bad, you will have an amazing time.

I'm a little late to the party here, but August 2-7 we are heading to All Star Sports! We are having our second baby in October and decided to surprise our son with a trip to Disney as one last big fling as the only child. We aren't telling him until we get on the plane (mostly to save ourselves from the "is today the day we are going to Disney?" every single day!) The last time we were there was almost 4 years ago when he was in my belly!! I'm so excited!

Congratulations on the impending new arrival!

Does anyone else start thinking about weather related issues as your trip approaches?

Honestly, no. Way I figure it, I can't do anything about the weather. It will be what it will be, so I don't worry about it, we just go, and enjoy the trip, and what ever happens, we will deal with.

DH has diagnosed me with ' Disney Brain'.:crazy2: Can't think of much else right now.

OMG . . . . I've had that, and never knew what the diagnosis was. I am pretty certain I know what the treatment is though . . . more trips to Disney :)

I have limited dining experiences in the parks, so I stuck with desserts/treats for my food. After my upcoming trip, I'll have more to compare. But I definitely have a lot of snacking experience.

Magic Kingdom

Ride: Splash Mountain
Show: Happily Ever After
Food: Strawberry cupcake at Be Our Guest

Epcot
Ride: Soarin'
Food: School Bread

Hollywood Studios
Ride: Rock n Roller Coaster
Show: One Man's Dream film
Food: Peanut Butter Crunch Cupcake

Animal Kingdom
Ride: Dinosaur
Show: Finding Nemo
Food: Elephant Ear

Magic Kingdom
Ride: Buzz Lightyear
Show: Carousel of Progress
Food: Tiramisu at Tony’s Town Square

Epcot
Ride: Spaceship Earth
Food: Lamb Shawarma at Tangierine Cafe

Hollywood Studios
Ride: Toy Story Mania
Show: Beauty and the Beast Live (Although I’m very excited to see the Star Wars Galactic Spectacular for the first time)
Food: Carrot Cake Cookie (but I haven’t had the new version yet)

Animal Kingdom
Ride: Expedition Everest (Haven’t been since Pandora opened though...)
Show: Festival of the Lion King
Food: Flame Tree BBQ

Any other first week of August folks starting the packing process? It is going to be tricky here because my 8 year-old doesn't know we are going.

I'm starting with my 15 year-old. She had a bit of a growth spurt, partly puberty related so I had to replace all of her bottoms; but she hasn't really been doing much this summer other than periodic library visits. Our library is chilly so she's been wearing leggings. So I figured well, she'll have plenty of shorts and stuff for Disney. I went to my closet today where I had been keeping everything and made 3 piles. 1 has 3 pj sets (tank and shorts), another has shorts and the other shirts. Looks like about 2 weeks worth which is what we like to take for a trip this length so we can change out of sweaty clothes. That's as far as I have gotten.

I usually make a packing list; but I haven't done it yet. My son and I have been wearing our summer clothes so I will start the process for us after doing some laundry. That way we have plenty to wear even if I tuck some stuff away to pack. Not trying to wear anything Disney specific. Mostly concentrating on having comfortable material that wicks away moisture. That's what we did last year and it worked well.

I don't have much left I need to buy. Ds needs water shoes. Dd needs a couple of bathing suits. I did start making my list of things I want to order for the room as far as snacks, drinks and breakfast items. Also we are not on the dining plan; but we eat at the resort quite a bit so I was thinking of buying the mugs at least for dd and me. I didn't last year as we were only there 4 days; but I figure over 9 days considering the drinks can be around $3 each, being able to fill the mug instead of buying a drink each time would be better. Ds is 8 and drinks come with his meals; but I will still give him the option. Anyone not on the plan purchased the mug for their trip?

Any other first week of August folks starting the packing process? It is going to be tricky here because my 8 year-old doesn't know we are going.

I'm starting with my 15 year-old. She had a bit of a growth spurt, partly puberty related so I had to replace all of her bottoms; but she hasn't really been doing much this summer other than periodic library visits. Our library is chilly so she's been wearing leggings. So I figured well, she'll have plenty of shorts and stuff for Disney. I went to my closet today where I had been keeping everything and made 3 piles. 1 has 3 pj sets (tank and shorts), another has shorts and the other shirts. Looks like about 2 weeks worth which is what we like to take for a trip this length so we can change out of sweaty clothes. That's as far as I have gotten.

I usually make a packing list; but I haven't done it yet. My son and I have been wearing our summer clothes so I will start the process for us after doing some laundry. That way we have plenty to wear even if I tuck some stuff away to pack. Not trying to wear anything Disney specific. Mostly concentrating on having comfortable material that wicks away moisture. That's what we did last year and it worked well.

I don't have much left I need to buy. Ds needs water shoes. Dd needs a couple of bathing suits. I did start making my list of things I want to order for the room as far as snacks, drinks and breakfast items. Also we are not on the dining plan; but we eat at the resort quite a bit so I was thinking of buying the mugs at least for dd and me. I didn't last year as we were only there 4 days; but I figure over 9 days considering the drinks can be around $3 each, being able to fill the mug instead of buying a drink each time would be better. Ds is 8 and drinks come with his meals; but I will still give him the option. Anyone not on the plan purchased the mug for their trip?

We don't purchase the mugs but I wanted to wish you a great trip. We are not for a few more weeks - but get excited when we have a little over a week to go. We are decorating magic bands now. So exciting enjoy!

Slow day at work today, so:

Magic Kingdom
Ride: Jungle Cruise
Show: Wishes Fireworks (Happily Ever After is a new show for us this time)
Food: Crystal Palace breakfast buffet, with Eeyore :eeyore:

Epcot
Show: Matsuriza drummers
Food: Biergarten bratwurst and spaetzle with a Beck's

Hollywood Studios
Ride: Toy Story Mania
Show: Fantasmic! or Jedi Training Academy
Food: Sci-Fi - Oreo Milkshake

Animal Kingdom
Ride: Kilimanjaro Safari
Show: Festival of the Lion King
Food: Flame Tree Barbecue Ribs & Chicken Combo (Tusker House TBD)

17 days to go for me!! (9 until we start our trip in the Florida Keys!) I'm so excited. Just started figuring some packing today as the in-laws are driving and taking some of our stuff so I have to have that ready this weekend and the next couple of days are crazy between dance and tumbling for DD and baseball for DS - not too mention a trip or 2 to Cedar Point in there since the weather's been not so crazy now :)

Here's my favorites:
Magic Kingdom
Ride: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Food: it was the steak at BOG - unfortunately won't have that anymore! :( As of last night we're going to cancel our BOG also, not worth it for a picky 10 year old to pay $55!

Epcot
Food: snack in France - Champagne and the strawberry tart

Hollywood Studios:
Ride/Show: Toy Story Mania & Star Tours
Food: dinner at 50's PT (Although after seeing the previous posts it may now be the Strawberries & Ice Cream Funnel Cake - my favorite at Cedar Point!)

Animal Kingdom
Ride/Show: The Safari
Food: don't really have a favorite so I'll put the Mickey bars here :)

I’ve been thinking about packing. When we went to UO it was hot hot hot and we definitely needed to change to go back out after our mid day break. We were so sweaty and wet and so were our tees/shorts.

Two sets of clothes a day let us feel human. We are doing a split stay and I think I’ll do laundry before moving to our second resort, to cut down on how much we are bringing. Still, that’s a lot of clothes, though not taking up too much space, given the nature of the clothes.

We will each have a pair of flip flops for the pools and evenings back at the parks. We first tried this at UO and it felt nice in the late afternoons / evenings when we are not go-go-go to be in flips.

Anyone have a Star Wars party booked ? We do. I’m pretty excited about it; we did it when we went last and it was a highlight, though I believe it’s changed. I am not a huge movie fan, but oddly love everything about it; freaky stormtroopers, the lightsabers, chewie (omg my favorite meet!), all of it. :worship:

We are pretty light on table service this time. Part of my enjoyment of that is enjoying it with DH and he is not coming (he really does not like WDW - sad tears).

But we do have BoG as I love the west wing as a cool dark and funky respite, and I have a few others like an on-my-own breakfast at ale and compass while the kids are on the Pirate Cruise Adventure. I booked 1900 Park faire, too; I think the character interactions there look fun.

I’ve been thinking about packing. When we went to UO it was hot hot hot and we definitely needed to change to go back out after our mid day break. We were so sweaty and wet and so were our tees/shorts.

Two sets of clothes a day let us feel human. We are doing a split stay and I think I’ll do laundry before moving to our second resort, to cut down on how much we are bringing. Still, that’s a lot of clothes, though not taking up too much space, given the nature of the clothes.

We will each have a pair of flip flops for the pools and evenings back at the parks. We first tried this at UO and it felt nice in the late afternoons / evenings when we are not go-go-go to be in flips.

Anyone have a Star Wars party booked ? We do. I’m pretty excited about it; we did it when we went last and it was a highlight, though I believe it’s changed. I am not a huge movie fan, but oddly love everything about it; freaky stormtroopers, the lightsabers, chewie (omg my favorite meet!), all of it. :worship:

We are pretty light on table service this time. Part of my enjoyment of that is enjoying it with DH and he is not coming (he really does not like WDW - sad tears).

But we do have BoG as I love the west wing as a cool dark and funky respite, and I have a few others like an on-my-own breakfast at ale and compass while the kids are on the Pirate Cruise Adventure. I booked 1900 Park faire, too; I think the character interactions there look fun.
I am packing two outfits a day, making sure we have a second pair of shoes for the second half of the day makes sense too - good idea!

I have never done a dessert party, adds up quickly with our crew. They look like fun though!

We are doing the Star Wars dessert party on the 21st, the HEA dessert party on the 23rd and MNSSHP on the 28th! We are not actually big dessert people but we typically go to DL instead of WDW so we are going all out on this trip. I’m not sure when we are going to be back on the east coast, flights are long and expensive so we are making the most of this trip.

Does anyone else have BOG prix fixe dinner booked? I cannot wait to see the final menu!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter