*** The Official August 2018 Thread*** - let's have some fun....

I'm a little late to the party here, but August 2-7 we are heading to All Star Sports! We are having our second baby in October and decided to surprise our son with a trip to Disney as one last big fling as the only child. We aren't telling him until we get on the plane (mostly to save ourselves from the "is today the day we are going to Disney?" every single day!) The last time we were there was almost 4 years ago when he was in my belly!! I'm so excited!
What an awesome big brother surprise! We had planned a family trip for when my oldest turned five. She got a baby sister instead (literally 2 weeks after her 5th bday LOL). so we had to wait a couple years for her first trip-and we took the 16 month old too. Still one of our bestest trips ever!

So...have never done the dining plan, but spent about 2 hours yesterday calculating how we would likely eat (just us 2 adults), AP discounts, how we might eat with DDP...and for first time ever I do believe we would come out ahead on the DP! Have never used it before though so hesitant to add it. It never works out money wise when the kids come along (and I have the excel spreadsheet to prove it LOL).
Hmmm....

(Haven't been since before Pandora.)

WDW

Magic Kingdom
Ride: 2-way tie Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain
Show: The Muppets Present
Food: Sleepy Hollow Nutella Waffle

Epcot
Ride: Soarin'
Character: Baymax
Food: Less Halles Nutella filled donut thingy, or, the violet lemonade

Hollywood Studios
Ride: Star Tours
Character: Chewie
Food: n/a

Animal Kingdom
Ride: Kilimanjaro Safari
Show: All the musicians on the paths
Food: Yak & Yeti Local Food Cafe​

UO

Universal Studios
Ride: 3-way tie Mummy, Transformers, Gringotts
Show: Parade
Drink: Frozen Butterbeer (I really want to try some ice cream at Florean Fortescue's, though! Next time)

Islands of Adventure
Ride: 2-way tie Kong, Hulk
Show: Hogwarts night time lights show
Drink: Umm, Frozen Butterbeer, or Fire & Chata from Hogs Head

Non-Park Food Mention I can't leave out: At Portofino Bay hotel - Sal's Classic Italian sub at Sal's Market Deli (so delicious!)​

Last edited:
Hey August folks! 17 more days for us! I have been keeping up with the TP crowd calendars since our trip is coming up soon. According to them the crowds levels are low. Like yesterday it was a 3 resort wide CL. Fingers crossed for us that that remains the trend. If we are going to be sweating our butts off low crowds will make it more tolerable! :sunny:

Wow! This sounds good. I have been following some of the Disney bloggers who have been reporting lower than expected crowds for the morning EMH at DHS for Toy Story Land. Apparently, TSL has not experienced the mass of humanity that continues at Pandora.

Hey August folks! 17 more days for us! I have been keeping up with the TP crowd calendars since our trip is coming up soon. According to them the crowds levels are low. Like yesterday it was a 3 resort wide CL. Fingers crossed for us that that remains the trend. If we are going to be sweating our butts off low crowds will make it more tolerable! :sunny:

I arrive 2 days before that! whoop whooppp

Now stay away tropical systems! lol

I can definitely rock with those numbers. We have rarely experienced anything below a 6 or 7 and when we did it was during a Tropical Storm in 2012. Our first trip ever was actually Thanksgiving week so we hopped right in with some high crowds but really nice weather and the Christmas decorations. 6 or 7 to us is a luxury.

I can definitely rock with those numbers. We have rarely experienced anything below a 6 or 7 and when we did it was during a Tropical Storm in 2012. Our first trip ever was actually Thanksgiving week so we hopped right in with some high crowds but really nice weather and the Christmas decorations. 6 or 7 to us is a luxury.

Completely agree! We have previously gone the week before Easter, so 9/10/insanity levels, but on our last trip left two days earlier. We went to AK the evening we arrived on a predicted 6 day and it was amazing - i was actually giddy from it. I can't wait!!!

Does anyone else start thinking about weather related issues as your trip approaches? We haven't flown to Disney in over a decade, so my weather paranoia has escalated this year. I have all fingers crossed for us August folks to keep any nasty tropical system far out to sea for the remainder of the summer. I can deal with the Florida afternoon downpours, and furnace like heat, but I don't want flights disrupted, nor do I want to be trapped in our resort room watching Jim Cantore report on 'Hurricane Whatever ' as palm trees fly by the window. :scared1:
On a brighter note, this morning I completed our collection of travel size lotions and potions for the trip. The weather in my corner of the northeast is hazy, hot, and humid, so we're getting climatized for the Orlando inferno. :sunny:

Does anyone else start thinking about weather related issues as your trip approaches? We haven't flown to Disney in over a decade, so my weather paranoia has escalated this year. I have all fingers crossed for us August folks to keep any nasty tropical system far out to sea for the remainder of the summer. I can deal with the Florida afternoon downpours, and furnace like heat, but I don't want flights disrupted, nor do I want to be trapped in our resort room watching Jim Cantore report on 'Hurricane Whatever ' as palm trees fly by the window. :scared1:
On a brighter note, this morning I completed our collection of travel size lotions and potions for the trip. The weather in my corner of the northeast is hazy, hot, and humid, so we're getting climatized for the Orlando inferno. :sunny:

Yeah, I’m hoping for the rain to still be Park-friendly. If not, and palm trees are a-flying, I resolve to roll with it with a tasty beverage.

We have ponchos and flip flops ready. I’m resigning myself to not being bagless for this trip so I can take them into the park. Depending on the day’s outlook, anyway.

We are less than 2 weeks out so it is about that time I start thinking about the weather. We have not been there during a hurricane. We have been there during two named Tropical Storms. In 2012, we were there during Debby, which was an unusual storm in that it moved really slowly. It poured for 4 days. My children were 9 and 2 and they took turns splashing me by jumping into puddles. Then when I would say "Who splashed me?" they would both burst into laughter. We made the best of it we could I think. For a month after we got home, every time it rained my 2 year-old thought we were back in Florida.

One day when we approached Magic Kingdom, there was this gimornous puddle people were going through for the heck of it. My 9 year-old had on $1.00 Wal-Mart flip flops so when she asked, I said go for it. One came off and I wish I would have had a camera on her as she chased it. We were laughing so hard; but then my 2 year-old said, "Sister shoe a boat!" I don't know how long it was before we could walk again.

In 2013...yes, the following year, we had Tropical Storm Andrea. Right on June 1st, the first day of the hurrican season. It rained a day and a half and it was over. My daughter and I were like "Wow, Andrea was weak." :rotfl: I was glad though. I worried about the flooding people must have had the previous year.

I was glad in 2014 to only experience normal Florida rain spurts. Last year was totally crazy as it only rained when we were at our resort. It was our first trip without needing ponchos. Looking at the radar things are pretty quiet right now. I am praying it is a quiet season overall. There are some folks who have not recovered from the storms the last couple of years.

Our trip last year was in September, so we were there during the hurricane. It was more of an inconvenience than a scary experience, fortunately. We spent two days in our room eating boring food and watching the storm coverage. We never lost power, so that was nice. The storm that hit Disney wasn't even as bad as some thunderstorms and winds we get back home, so that was a relief. The good news was that it cleared out the parks pretty much for a couple days before and after. We did end up losing a day or two of ticket use though. We stayed at AllStar Music, and I would say they don't handle food and entertainment as well as some other resorts. To me neither is a given, but if you are going to have better options at nearby resorts, they should be offered at all resorts. A lot of cast members were really good through all of the chaos, but there were indeed some snippy/rude ones, who were probably just stressed out. Overall, I wouldn't avoid hurricane time again, but I certainly wouldn't want it to happen again.

Only 21 days now! I hope you have a great time! Where are you staying and for how long?
You must be getting really exctied! I know that I am! Our first 2 nights are at Pop, then heading down to south FL for some beach time for 3 days, then up to Poly for 8 nights. Where are you staying?

I have. I am two weeks away and its been creeping into my head. I have already accepted that rain will most likely be in the forecast at some point, I just don't want something tropical sticking around.

The last time I went to Disney was in the spring with wall to wall sunshine and not a cloud in the sky for 7 days, so I was spoiled ;/

I guess I figure I can't worry about what I can't control. Other than flights, I don't care much. We have 3 non park days to play with if there is a storm.

I guess I figure I can't worry about what I can't control. Other than flights, I don't care much. We have 3 non park days to play with if there is a storm.

I am in the same club as you! I was going to look up the possibility of a really disruptive storm mid-August out of curiosity but figured that would do no good whatsoever!

Does anyone else start thinking about weather related issues as your trip approaches?

trapped in our resort room watching Jim Cantore report on 'Hurricane Whatever ' as palm trees fly by the window. :scared1:
LOLOL! I was doing that-it is never good when you hear Jim Cantore is heading somewhere - but from home in MO as my DD was doing her first College Program last fall when Irma blew through. She was pretty chill about providing reports but I had to hear about kids in her housing complex out dancing in the storm from the parents page on Facebook-yeah-those were DD's roommates, and they had a great big gathering rest of night. In all seriousness-Disney does a fantastic job on keeping everyone safe and sound during these storms, and the CM's will get incentives to come in extra to clean up the parks and help. Disney also paid every single cast member for their shifts they lost when the place was closed for the 2 days.

I always look at weather but it is not accurate at all until 24-48 hours prior. Which kinds sucks when you want to plan a water park day :rolleyes1.

You do not need to ride ME since your bags come to the resort later on a different vehicle. If the tags are on the bags, they'll get to your room. (unless of course your bags go to Sacramento instead of Orlando as ours did once! lol)
I guess I'll just claim the suitcase myself and have them put in in the ME bus for the trip to WDW. :)

Same here. We will be there for about 9 days; but have 5 days worth of tickets right now. It's next to nothing to add more days once you're past 4 of 5 anyway. Also want to visit Blizzard Beach again. Last year I bought from a seller who had 2 day tickets with a free water park entry added on. It just had a restriction of going after 2pm. I figured it would be a good chance to try one. We loved it; but to go for one day is $200 for us while adding the water park and more option is $300. We don't usually hop; but there's no option for getting water park added on without hopping so going to make the decision once we are there and the weather is a bit more predictable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter