The Official What's For Dinner thread:Thursday 1-24-08? Recipe finder in OP. Enjoy! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL - DH just came in, took a taste, and said 'this needs italian sausage in it'

Man, I know him well!

Good Morning!

We are having lasagna, meatballs and sausage, salad, italian bread and apple/pear pie. Andrew was so excited last night...we cut up too many apples so I made apple sauce...he loves homemade applesauce.

Have a great day!

WFD?? Tonight is actually the fajitas that i was going to do last night, but instead went out to sushi...
I am happy its tonight because now I am going to make some guacamole to go along with it...YUM!
Have a great Friday everyone! It is BEAUTIFUL where I am in MA today!

I'm kind of stiff this morning, but I don't think I need to be x-rayed. I know I have a pulled muscle (or 2) in my left calf. My right knee is just bruised, but my left knee is still throbbing and a little shaky. I plan on staying off of it as much as possible. My wrist is sore, but workable. All in all, I think I am going to be fine, but today I feel like I have been hit by a bus. I iced everything last night and took plenty of Advil. I'm sure that helped.

Thank you to everyone for your concern.

Aimee your husband's response is exactly why I put the italian sausage in my recipe. My husband wouldn't think it was dinner either if there was no meat.

Lauren you never cease to amaze me girl. Homemade applesauce? My kids wouldn't even know what homemade applesauce looked like. Truly. However, I live in dread fear that they are going to out me on something like that one day. I was at a church pot luck several years ago and a child beside me asked her mother what something was in one of the dishes. Her mother told her it was macaroni and cheese (the baked kind, a southern tradition). She then asked LOUDLY "why isn't it orange all over like the kind you make?" (Kraft) :rotfl: The mother was mortified and I could see every old woman within ear shot shaking her head and contemplating calling the Department of Social Services.

Tonight's dinner was supposed to be creole shrimp bake, but I don't know if I want to stand up for the whole time it takes to fix it. If I feel like it, shrimp bake it is. Otherwise, I'll probably just saute the shrimp in some olive oil, garlic, white wine, etc and serve it over linguine. We'll see.

Happy Friday everyone!

LOL - DH just came in, took a taste, and said 'this needs italian sausage in it'

Man, I know him well!

:lmao:

Gretchen - I hope you are feeling better.:hug: Please take it easy today. Is the shrimp bake posted here?

I wouldn't even know how to make applesauce!!:rotfl2:

All in all, I think I am going to be fine, but today I feel like I have been hit by a bus. I iced everything last night and took plenty of Advil. I'm sure that helped.

Thank you to everyone for your concern.

Lauren you never cease to amaze me girl. Homemade applesauce?

Oh Gretchen, sounds like you need to relax with a drink...a hot toddy sounds like it would do you good. :hug:

Applesauce is very, very easy to make, Queen of Easy, easy. I think Becky posted a recipe a while ago. What happened last night is, everything was mixed (apples, pear, sugar, flour, etc) and it did not fit in the crust (I do not measure) so I put it in a pot with some water and let it cook down, adding water when neccessary. Mashed it when it was done. Usually, everything in my applesauce is what is in apple pie filling except the flour.

Gretchen - I hope you are feeling better.:hug: Please take it easy today. Is the shrimp bake posted here?

I wouldn't even know how to make applesauce!!:rotfl2:

The recipe isn't posted, but I'll post it tonight if you want.

Oh Gretchen, sounds like you need to relax with a drink...a hot toddy sounds like it would do you good. :hug:

Applesauce is very, very easy to make, Queen of Easy, easy. I think Becky posted a recipe a while ago. What happened last night is, everything was mixed (apples, pear, sugar, flour, etc) and it did not fit in the crust (I do not measure) so I put it in a pot with some water and let it cook down, adding water when neccessary. Mashed it when it was done. Usually, everything in my applesauce is what is in apple pie filling except the flour.

I think you're right, I'm having a drink tonight, but since it is still around 80 degrees, I think I'd prefer one of the cold variety (or 2 or 3 of the cold variety). :rotfl:

Thanks for the applesauce info. Now I don't feel so bad. ;)

Dinner last night was a hit!!! All the kids (even my picky Jacob) loved the lemon cream chicken. I'll post the recipe after I get back from bowling.

The best news is I found my recipe for toffee apple french toast! I was so afraid I'd lost it permanently!!! This is what we've had for breakfast the last 2 Christmas mornings, and my family loves it.

Toffee Apple French Toast

8 C. cubed French bread
2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
1 pkg. (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
3/4 C. packed brown sugar
1/4 C. granulated sugar
1 3/4 C. milk, divided
2 tsp. vanilla, divided
1/2 C. English toffee bits
5 eggs

Place half of the bread cubes in a freased 9 X 13-inch pan; top with apples. In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugars, 1/4 cup milk and 1 tsp. vanilla until smooth; stir in toffee bits. Spread over apples. Top with remaining bread cubes. In another mixing bowl, beat the eggs and remaining milk and vanilla; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees fro 30-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

Dinner tonight will be mac and cheese (the boxed kind:scared1: ) for the kids, and Alan and I are finally going out to dinner and to see Hairspray! I love that Katie is finally old enough to babysit!!!

Glyins, that toast sounds awesome! I just printed out the recipe.

Gretchen, I hope you feel better soon. That stinks that you fell.

Last night I ended up making huevos rancheros and refried beans. Here is a picture:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2206/1758187502_125b635349.jpg

They were so yummy, especially the beans. DH told me they were the best beans he has had since he was in Mexico!

Tonight I am making goat cheese stuffed chicken with a cognac pan sauce, mashed potatoes, and broccoli.

Happy Friday, everyone!

We are heading out of town tonight, so there will be no cooking today. But, I did cook last night so I thought I would share that recipe, if you don’t mind….

I went to Epcot’s Food & Wine Festival a few weeks ago and fell in love with the Quiche in France! :goodvibes I knew DH wouldn’t particularly care for it though because of the lack of meat, so I messed with the recipe a bit and came up with this. I’ll post both recipes though, because the original is really perfection!!

Goat Cheese & Bacon Quiche

8 Ounces Goat Cheese (the lumpy kind, not creamed)
6 to 8 Slices Thick Sliced Bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 7 Ounce Can Sliced Mushrooms, drained
1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Tomato, Basil & Garlic Blend Seasoning
4 Eggs
2 Cups Half and Half Cream
Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper to taste

1 9-inch Pie Shell, pre-baked

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Crumble goat cheese and sprinkle it over the base of the pie shell.

Place the crumbled bacon and mushroom slices on top of the cheese and sprinkle with the Mrs. Dash Seasoning Blend.

In a blender, process the eggs and half & half until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

Pour the liquid into the pie shell and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the custard is firm to the touch and golden brown. (I baked it in a deep dish pie pan, it took 50 minutes to completely cook.)

Allow the quiche to cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.

(I served it with asparagus on the side)

Now for the original! :love:

Goat Cheese and Sun Dried Tomato Quiche
Epcot, France
Food & Wine Festival 2007

1/4 Pound Goat Cheese
½ Cup Drained Sun-Dried Tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
4 Eggs
2 Cups Half and Half Cream
Pinch of grated Nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper to taste

1 9-inch Pie Shell, pre-baked

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Crumble goat cheese and sprinkle it over the base of the pie shell.

Place the sun-dried tomatoes on top of the cheese and sprinkle with the Herbes de Provence.

In a blender, process the eggs and half & half until smooth. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Pour the liquid into the pie shell and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the custard is firm to the touch and golden brown.

Allow the quiche to cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.

(I didn’t know what “Herbes de Provence” was, so I looked it up on-line…. This is what I found on Recipe Zaar.)

Recipe for Herbs De Provence

3 tablespoons oregano leaves
3 tablespoons thyme leaves
1 teaspoon basil leaves
1 teaspoon sage leaves
3 tablespoons savory
2 tablespoons lavender flowers
1 teaspoon rosemary

Combine and mix well.
Store the mixture in small airtight jars in a dark cool location.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Hmm. That quiche looks yummy.

Tonight we're having catered fajitas, beans, rice, etc. I am hosting a dinner for parents at church and catering it in. YUM!

I hope y'all enjoyed it.

Our dinner was not as good as I had hoped. I couldn't really do what I wanted because I was working with only one good hand. Tonight when I was leaving the gym, my knee went out and I went to the floor, hard. I have a lovely goose egg just below my knee which is hard to see since I also took all of the skin off of that area. However, the issue I'm most concerned about is my left wrist. I jammed it or something trying to catch myself. It is really sore tonight and a little swollen. I am hoping it is better by tomorrow because it sure is hard typing with one hand. I'm such a clutz. :sad2:

OMG, Gretchen, take it easy. I saw that you are sore so don't take chances.

Man, I know him well!

That would be the reaction in my home as well.

I am having issues today, somehow a virus got into the computer and it is dead in the water. I am afraid to tell Jeff, he is going to freak...he says I always do something to break it. Anyway I am using his laptop.....hope this does not break while I am using it.

Tonight we are going to have chicken salad sandwiches for supper. I have to get ready for Kady's Halloween Party tomorrow and have not gotten much accomplished yet. I will check back a little later.

Hi Everyone,

Just popping in quick to show you what I've been up to (and the reason I haven't been around as much).

Here's Caili's competition dress for tomorrow. I bought the dress, but it was plain. I added all the trim and sparkles.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2319/1762310695_292b35b5be_b.jpg

And the headband I made to go with it:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2137/1762310725_db1ba4a4db_b.jpg

Dinner last night was good...baked cod, broccoli and crusty rolls. I'm not sure what we're having tonight yet. I'll have to see what the kids are in the mood for.

I'll catch up later!

I adjusted my meatball recipe. Here is my Tomato Sauce/Gravy recipe (makes 3 - 4 family servings...great to freeze):

4 oz salt pork, cut in 2 or 3 big pieces
1 lb country spare ribs
6 - 8 sausage links, I like a mix of hot and sweet
meatballs (I put mine in raw to cook in the sauce, but precooked can be added)
1 large onion, finely diced
6 - 8 cloves garlic, cruched
2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 bay leaves
1/3 - 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, dried is OK too
1/3 - 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1 TBS dry oregano (I never buy this fresh but you can)
2 bay leaves
6 oz tomato paste
2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 28 oz can puree
1 28 oz can sauce
water
salt and pepper to taste

Brwon sausage in a pan and set aside (does not have to be cooked through - they will cook more in the sauce).

In an 8 quart pot, heat 1 - 2 tbs olive oil. Brown salt pork for about 5 minutes. Add ribs and brown on all sides for about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium/low.

Make room in the center of the 8 qt pot and add onions. Cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 3 minutes. Stir constantly.

Add paste and "fry" for about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of water and bring to a simmer. Add crushed pepper and 2 bay leaves.

Add all other tomatoes and 1/2 - 3/4 can of water, stir. Cut sausage to desired size and put in sauce.

Cover 3/4 of the pot with foil and simmer for at least an hour (2 - 3 hours is better). Stir every so often.

At this point, taste to see if salt is needed and discard salt pork (do not over salt since meatballs will ba added later). You can remove the ribs as well. This is your choice. The rib meat starts to fall off the bone after a while and is really yummy. Just make sure to remove the bones.

Add parsley, basil and oregano. Stir. Simmer another 1/2 hour. Add meatballs and gently simmer for at least 3 minutes 30 minutes.

Then its ready to serve.

I am having issues today, somehow a virus got into the computer and it is dead in the water. I am afraid to tell Jeff, he is going to freak...he says I always do something to break it. Anyway I am using his laptop.....hope this does not break while I am using it.

Nancy, I'm sure it's nothing you did.:hug: It may just need a good spyware scan.:confused3

I adjusted my meatball recipe. Here is my Tomato Sauce/Gravy recipe (makes 3 - 4 family servings...great to freeze):

WOW - Lauren this looks incredible. I've never seen salt pork and country ribs in a sauce recipe before. This is going on my to do list, unfortunately I've already gone grocery shopping for this weekend.

Laura, You did a beautiful job! :thumbsup2 Now we want to see pics of Caili in the outfit! hint hint! Good luck Caili!

Nancy, Hope your computer issues get resolved!

WOW - Lauren this looks incredible. I've never seen salt pork and country ribs in a sauce recipe before. This is going on my to do list, unfortunately I've already gone grocery shopping for this weekend.

These 2 things make this sauce the bomb! Little pieces of pork fall off into the sauce...it is soooo good. Its like getting a prize when you're eating your pasta.

I made a terrible mistake with the meatballs yesterday. I used very lean beef and they came out a little hard. That is me trying to be skinny...after I just ate a big piece of chocolate Tom brought me back from France...and Im gonna wash it down later with the vino he brought too! :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter