The Running Thread—2023

I thought I'd post this for all of us that didn't go to MW and aren't recovering from it....first, I should say that I have still never done MW because I bailed on my first attempt in 2022 due to omicron covid.

A couple of nights ago, I had a very frustrating dream. I was at an amusement park, although it's like I just knew that because I don't recall seeing anything distinctly amusement-park-like. I was with my mother and sister (my current family other than DH). I had signed up to do a 5k race there on one day and a HM on a later day. I had done the 5k and was happy with it.

But somehow I had forgotten which day and/or the time the HM was being held at. I was looking and looking for information about it - in "programs", online, and so on, but couldn't even find a mention of it. Finally I asked someone working at the park, and they told me that they thought the later races had been canceled because the race was leaking chemicals into the water supply. (This is where my dream took a really bizarre turn, and I have no idea why.) So apparently not only did they cancel the HM, but they basically erased all record of its existence. I didn't really accept this as the answer and kept trying to find out about the HM, and eventually I woke up without a resolution.

Dreams can be weird.:confused3

Edited to correct the year.

2023 goals: Have fun. Run a marathon - absolutely no time goal just enjoy the environment. Maybe do a fun race with my local running club.

@jmasgat have you run NYC already? I heard it's so much fun, which is why I'm running I'm planning on running it. :) Crossing off the last of my US world majors.

@lookingforsunshine sorry to hear! Hope you feel better soon. Hard to get your motivation back - but I think getting your shoes on for even a short run will help tremendously.

@avondale running dreams are always so weird and usually stressful (at least for me!)

ATTQOTD: I am not into goals just yet. I was gifted a coach with Luke Humphrey’s Running for Christmas. I’ve been waiting for Dopey before I get everything set up with them.
I’ll be interested to hear what you think about training with a coach. I've loved all of mine and find they really improved my overall fitness and performance.

ATTQOTD: I think I might try to break all of my previous PRs this year?? So 5K, 10K, 10M, HM.

10K and 10M should be pretty easy just because of what my previous times were. 5K and HM will be a little more of a challenge. I'm already registered for a 5K and 10M (Cherry Blossom Challenge in April), but will have to figure out what 10K and half I want to do, which is a project for another day.

@jmasgat have you run NYC already? I heard it's so much fun, which is why I'm running I'm planning on running it. :) Crossing off the last of my US world majors.

I ran my first NYC Marathon in 2022, and it definitely lived up to the hype. Though it was unseasonably warm for running, it was great weather for spectators, and New Yorkers were out in force to cheer on the runners. The course, the crowd, the field - it was all amazing and memorable. Highly recommended for any runner!

Congrats!!! That is a wonderful accomplishment. I didn't set a PR in Dopey when I ran in 2018, but I did BQ, so I get that totally jazzed feeling. (I'm old--the BQ times are slower! :) )
Thanks!!! I’m so pumped about and the fact that it ran a negative split. We’ll ignore the fact that it’s only due to a bathroom break during mile 11. Still is a negative split. And it doesn’t matter your age. A BQ is a BQ. I’m still 40 minutes off of my BQ time. Doubt I’ll make another 40 minute leap in 7 months like I did this time.

QOTD 2023 Goals:
A Goal: Get my fitness back. I put on dreaded sympathy weight waiting for the firstborn, so what can you do? (It's not like I didn't enjoy it!) DD is 6 months now, so getting back into the routine is much easier. I'm hoping to get a long way toward that goal between now and a half marathon in 10 weeks. I should be able to at least get to fighting weight by then, but it will take some discipline in the diet.

B Goal: I've always wondered what would happen if I completed a marathon training cycle... but didn't run a marathon! I go for it when I race, so I tend to really blow myself up, and it derails my consistency something awful. This time, I'm going to finish a round, maybe run a 5k or something short for yucks, then keep the momentum going into a second round for a goal race. (Hopefully Marathon Weekend.) I think I can knock it out of the park after a year like that.

For those of us not at Disney this weekend, things may seem a little quiet. So how about a
QOTD: What are you looking forward to with running this year? Otherwise known as 2023 Goals.

Given my increasing age and injury quotient and decreasing speed, I have to look at non-race based goals. I guess I'd like to be able to always be ready to run a half marathon. Whatever regular running keeps me in that shape is what I am aiming for.

I am trying to decide, though, if I should try one last "healthy" marathon (my last marathon was MW 22 and I was injured). I have guaranteed entry into New York this year, given that I broke my foot last year and had to cancel my registration. So I am thinking about signing up and giving it a go. I don't know if that is a great idea, but we'll see.

Finally, on a whim, I signed up to run the half at The Dramathon in Scotland in October.....could make a nice trip.
I love this question. Although goals can be focused on fun, it’s hard to quantify so a lot of goals are usually all about improving performance. This puts a happy twist and reminder that running is something we should look forward to. I’m looking forward to racing my first mile ever and then figuring out the rest of the year.

ATTQOTD: 2023 Goals

I'm glad I gave it a few days to contemplate post MW, because my goals have definitely changed. Coming off my second Dopey and third marathon, I want to step back to shorter distances that I actually have a shot at improving on. I struggle just to finish a marathon and it takes all my focus, so there is really no room to get better. And realistically the training is too much for me to fit in without disrupting daily life and causing issues with work and DH. So, my goals are:

1. Keep running even when not training for a race. 2-3 times a week is good.
2. Focus on the half marathon distance. Train toward becoming confident in this distance.
3. Find some races to practice and check-in on (maybe the new RnR SLC in August).
3. If things go well with goal 2, set a new PR for the half!

ATTQOTD re: 2023 goals
I don't really know that I'm ready to set any goals yet. The whirlwind of MW is still settling, and I don't know what it is that I want to accomplish. I have this tendency to feel like I need to continually one-up myself, and a 50k has been stewing in the back of my head, but I definitely do not know if I want to make that kind of training commitment, especially since those tend to be trail runs and I don't know if my foot/ankle can take that.

But things that I definitely need to accomplish:
1. Lose some weight. It's kind of horrifying that I'm in the 20# range for what I need/want to lose without being unreasonable.
2. Do my PT exercises 3 days a week.
3. Strength train.
4. Continue to run.
5. PR in a distance I've already run.
6. Support my SIL's training as she has decided to run a half and a full for time this year.

2023 goals

Run 100+ miles/month

PR all the distances - can check the big one off early with a marathon PR to finish off Dopey this past weekend 🎉🎉

Find more local races to fill in the calendar, currently my next one is Wine and Dine 2023 (hopefully registration goes well)

ATTQOTD: Also in the camp of not even being able to think about what I want to accomplish this year until MW weekend was done. As the soreness continues to subside, my mind has begun to wander to what's next for this year:

1) Remain consistent in my running - made great progress on this last year and want to keep it up.
2) Average >100 miles per month for the year - Will not cross that threshold for January as I want to give my body time to recover after Goofy, but even with that, I would like to make sure the average at the end of the year starts with 1 (and has three digits).
3) Run HM fast enough to get POT for future Disney races - While I've had a couple 2:10s over the last few years, I want to break 2:08 so I have a POT for whatever Disney race I decide to do next.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter