The Running Thread - 2020

I can vouch for Twin Cities. Even though I didn't have the race I would've hoped for, due to having surgery 13 weeks prior and only really training for about 6-7 weeks, I thought it was a great race. The crowd support was really good. I don't really remember many stretches without people out there cheering you on. It's not the flatest course out there, but not super challenging either.
I don't mind hills. You should see the roads I train on. Some of the hills are ridiculous. Would I like flat for speed, sure, but I would shy away from a race because of hills.

ATTQOTD: I love coffee, but only hot and black. It can be good or bad or in between and I’ll drink it but no coffee flavored things, no fancy Starbucks, and no iced coffee. Hot, black, and strong even if it’s 100 degrees out. I will however say that my favorite I only had once and it was the crazy vacuum setup at Victoria and Alberts, so I’m guessing there is a lot to be said for really good coffee.

I have a question for everyone. I just looked and I have no kids on Wine and Dine weekend so I thought, maybe it's time to do another Disney race. Then i saw the price. Am I the only one that thinks the prices are getting out of control? I mean, I must be considering I am on a thread full of people who keep doing the races, but it just seems ridiculous now???
Prices are definitely out of control. I'm willing to do it because they're usually milestones for me (my first marathon, my sister's first half) and I don't do them super frequently, but I can't imagine doing all the races. The prices are definitely ridiculous.

I do think prices are getting a bit silly ($600 for Dopey!?!?) I am fortunate enough to have my wife and daughter willing to support me by going on an extra vacation or two, and after it’s all done the races are really a small add on to a trip we were taking already so this year I will do all the challenges. I don’t know that the bank or DVC points will allow that in the future. I’m thinking do it now and look for different races down the road.

ATTQOTD fresh ground French press is my go to at home. At work we have an automatic espresso machine that makes a passable americano. If I go to a cafe, I get a flat white, which is similar to a cappuccino but with less foam and more milk.

ETA occasionally we get Starbucks so I’ll get something flavoured and sugary as their regular coffee is rubbish!

So for todays question I would like to ask, whats your favorite method to brew coffee and where you get your coffee from?

My favorite method is having someone brew good coffee for me ;)
I use a Ninja coffee maker at home and really like it. I used to be a keurig user, but I find the ninja so much easier to use fresh ground coffee for 1 cup. My daily coffee is Pike Place or Veranda Blend. I occasionally like a flavored coffee, with my current favorite being anisette from a local roaster. I drink my morning coffee black, but love a Starbucks latte in the afternoon.

There's something about getting a cup of coffee at a restaraunt with dessert that is my favorite method of receiving coffee...but that may have to do more with the dessert part!!
YES. The first time I ordered this, I realized I had fully turned into my mother. :)

Speaking of international marathons, has anyone done the Niagara Falls International Marathon?

That was my first full in 2009. It may have changed since but it was a really great event.

They check your passport at packet pickup and you need it with you race morning when you cross back into the US. You can then leave it with the bag check so you don't need to run with it.

All that was as of when I did it so YMMV.

Fun Friday QOTD: I've recently started drinking coffee in a attempt to stop drinking Red Bull. For some reason I like to go all in on things, and when we went to Punta Cana we had coffee one morning from a french press. I thought it was the most amazing coffee I ever had! So for todays question I would like to ask, whats your favorite method to brew coffee and where you get your coffee from?
I very seldom drink coffee when I do its mainly starbucks and during Christmas time. I don't know what it is but I love the Christmas drinks from Starbucks.

Join the group "rundisney runbluegrass" - we are a huge group and we get extra treats in our tent because of this. Its open to all, it originated out of a couple of run disney facebook groups.
I just registered for the Run the Bluegrass half, and joined team rundisney runbluegrass.

@KSellers88 ; I wasn't sure at first what @tigger536 meant about joining the group (facebook? instagram?), but during registration there was a drop-down menu where you could select the team you are running with. If you didn't notice it you may want to try to modify/amend your registration to include it.

ATTQOTD I only ingest caffeine before an "A" race by chewing caffeinated gum, or when I am seriously jet lagged.

I do drink decaffeinated coffee from an old Mr. Coffee drip maker, and it is generally from some on sale store brand ground tin. I wouldn't know good coffee if I tried it.

Me, too. Even worse with this group is that I don't drink alcohol, either. :)
I'm another one that doesn't drink alcohol or coffee. I should note here that this group was very welcoming of me during DATW and put no pressure on me whatsoever so if not drinking alcohol scares anyone away from hanging out with great DISers, it doesn't need to.

ATTQOTD: I love coffee, but only hot and black. It can be good or bad or in between and I’ll drink it but no coffee flavored things, no fancy Starbucks, and no iced coffee. Hot, black, and strong even if it’s 100 degrees out. I will however say that my favorite I only had once and it was the crazy vacuum setup at Victoria and Alberts, so I’m guessing there is a lot to be said for really good coffee.

I do think prices are getting a bit silly ($600 for Dopey!?!?) I am fortunate enough to have my wife and daughter willing to support me by going on an extra vacation or two, and after it’s all done the races are really a small add on to a trip we were taking already so this year I will do all the challenges. I don’t know that the bank or DVC points will allow that in the future. I’m thinking do it now and look for different races down the road.

When I first asked the question I specifically meant the entry fee. No other race I found, other than maybe a world major, is above $100. But then I priced out the weekend trip and for me and my wife to go Friday to Sunday, only 2 nights, will be $2000 with food and no park tickets. When I started runDisney in 2014 I did Thursday to Monday for $1000 for just me, but that was entry fee, room, flight, tickets (park hopper) and food.

ATTQOTD: Coffee!!! I love a good cup of coffee. I prefer a dark roast and a french press. But during the week, and really most weekends, it is usually the drip coffee maker. One day the kids will be grown and out of the house and I will be able to use the french press when ever I want. For now it will be the drip coffee maker and rushing them to school, trips to dance classes, solo practice, swim meets, cross country/track meets, baby-sitting, school clubs, study groups, and on, and on and on! (wouldn’t trade it for the world).

On the note of the Detroit Marathon, I have to second the feedback shared already. Lots of fun running over the bridge into Canada and then back into Michigan via the tunnel. It was really well organised and lots of good support! I did it last in 2015 or 16 and we were able to use an Enhanced Drivers License. You did have to show proof of it at registration, bring it at bib pick-up and I think we were asked to carry it during the run. You could use that or a pass-port. I do remember clearly as you are coming out of the tunnel and back into the US your bib had to be completely visible or DHS would stop you.

Yeah, a food and beverage related
ATTQOTD: I had my different coffee phases...
  • I started drinking coffee as a social thing at fancy coffee shops in my mid twenties. Those were expresso based with a lot of milk and sirup (mocha, caramel).
  • When I got engaged, we bought a solid classic expresso machine with its steam arm plus a grinder. That is still what DH uses and I’ll still take a cappuccino once in a while. He uses good brands of beans but in bulk from Costco. We went through Illy, Lavazza, Kaui, Starbucks and more local brands.
  • We always had a french press for when we are hosting bigger groups. We like a medium roast in that one.
  • When I was pregnant with my first DD, say at 30 yo, I started needing my daily coffee. That never stopped.
  • We then had a long phase (10 years) where in the weekdays mornings we picked up half French-vanilla cappuccino half coffee at Tim Hortons. Today, we pick those up only when we have a road trip.
  • During a long trip to Europe in 2008, we discovered Nespresso. We then bought a machine who moved from our workplace, to our in-laws and back to our home. We use that one for when only one guest wants a quick expresso/cappuccino at night, since we can get decaf pods.
  • Other trips have shown that Starbucks has the most consistent flavour. I like to go with my work team for a Friday morning celebratory latte there. And of course, that is my coffee of choice at Disney too.
  • Then, a few years ago, some coworkers were getting rid of their Keurig coffee machine. I brought it home and cleaned it up. I prefer Hazelnut and French Vanilla from Green Mountain and have one a day. They stopped selling them in Canada so I have to drive to Waterbury, VT or around to fill up.
  • I am no longer a coffee snob and can handle some regular filter coffee... But Joffrey in my hotel room at 2:30AM is pushing it. Maybe with some flavoured creamers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter