The Running Thread - 2020

This thread is hoppin'! I didn't check for a few days and had quite a few pages to catch up on, which is great!

ATTQOTD: I am running 3-4 days/week and adding family walks as weather permits. Trying to get the little guy used to the stroller!
Basically all of my runs now are 3 miles- it's the perfect amount to be able to run and shower in under 1 hour. Hopefully I'll start to add some distance in the coming weeks.

I hope it is ok to post something that is not related to any of the QOTD!

Today, I just registered for a Race (5K) end of May!

It is called Solo Run and held by a local Running Shop. The best thing is, it is not a virtual Race; they have prepared a Course.

You get a BIB (with a timing chip) and a mask via SnailMail. A few days before the Race they are going to send you an email with your personal starting time. Every runner gets his own starting time. The number of allowed Runners is limited, and between every "individual" start are 60 seconds. They have very strict rules, like:

- Wear a mask before and after the Race.
- No early show ups allowed.
- Leave the Finish line right after you grab your medal from a stand.
- Warm up and cool down are not allowed anywhere near the Start / Finish / Course.
- Keep a "social distance" while overtaking slower Runners.
- No spectators are allowed.

I like the idea, it feels like a time trial. The only thing I fear, what if other Runner do not follow all the Rules?

They offer three Running "Modes", Solo, Double (Where you can run with a friend (we are allowed here in Germany to run with one other person at the moment)), Familiy (Run with your complete household, also allowed here in Germany).

If you like, I report back, after the Race! I am going to run with a friend and we try to stay under 30 Minutes for that 5.2K, but the Course is a little bit hilly.

ATTQOTD ands Aftershokz.

I am running about 5 days a week with about 35 MPW and two days of strength training. Since I am working at home, runs have helped keep me sane. I have mostly been running trails because they are not requiring you wear masks...you might run for hours and not see more than a handful of people.

I have the titanium aftershokz, which have been great and exceed the specs. For example, I got over it 8 hours of battery and it still wasn't dead (I think they are supposed to have only 6 hours), and they are supposed to be water resistant but not for extreme weather...but mine were fine in a torrential downpour that lasted hours. At this point, if I kill them, it is fine because I wouldn’t mind getting the Aeropex, but they take every bit of punishment I dole out.

With all the discussion of Aftershokz, I just wanted to let folks know that REI is kicking off a sale tomorrow with a 20% off one item coupon for members. They stock all three Aftershokz models. It can be difficult to find discounts on the Aeropex, so here’s an opportunity.

NYRR says NYC marathon is going on as scheduled. So they think things will be back to normal by November.

I read the announcement (got an email). I didn't interpret it as things will be "normal"---although that word has zero meaning now. I expect that IF it goes on as scheduled, there will be all sorts of accommodations/restrictions.

Looks like I better figure out a training plan.

Catching up on the QOTD's!

Racing: I would be comfortable doing a local race now, with a fairly small field to allow everyone to space out.

Hydration: I can't stand to have something around my waist when I run, so I have both a Nathan handheld and an Ultimate Direction handheld. Both are great, but for long runs (like > 2hrs) I have to refill.

Electrolytes: Big fan of Tailwind

Headphones: I am the loser who uses the iPhone ear buds that came with the phone....

Current schedule: I usually run 3-4 days a week, averaging 20-25 miles/week. Just trying to maintain some base fitness and endurance! I also cycle on Zwift 3-4 days a week - usually hitting around 60-70 miles per week, but last week I rode a ton and had 112 miles for the week! I usually swim 2 days a week, but the pool has been closed :sad: I did brave the chilly lake yesterday (water temp around 70) and it felt SO good to swim again! (even if my fingers and toes were numb at the end!). Also - walking with my kids and dogs most days just to get outside for some fresh air and vitamin D!

So happy this thread is active!

Racing: immunity, testing, prevalence, therapeutics, vaccines ... I don't think it'll be the same for years. As an aside, someone told me the atmosphere of Boston is what made it so special, so even if somehow it was held in September it would be completely different with likely sparse spectatorship.

Yeah and that is what worries me about PTRR. Half the run of that race is all the spectators and the priesst throwing holy water on the runners, free pizza and beer at mellow mushroom, random people handing out beer and stuff, seeing the vets at sheperd center, etc. etc. Will any of that be possible on thanksgiving? Will people come out to do it on thanksgiving?

When I did NYCM I felt the same way - the spectators were a huge part of the fun.

Races pushed out until August with three sprint triathlons scheduled. Prediction - I have no clue how some of them happen. I think one could happen, while the others will struggle with distancing. The only upside is I think many folks will not sign up for the races...Currently 2 of them have less of 100 signed up.

! race awaiting rescheduled. One pushed to December. I am not signing up for any more races until December in person. Did one virtual race, signed up for another, and signed up for the Disney virtual series.

Training wise - been tough to stay motivated. No swimming as no pool open and all the parks are closed for open water until last weekend. Biking some - it was great in April with no traffic but seeing a dramatic increase last weekend. Was indoors but its time to ride outside. Running alot - not any long runs right now - but 22 miles or so a week. Goal out of this was to stay in shape, explore some.

I tried out a bunch of bike apps with my smart trainer if anyone is interested.

Days per week: 3. I'm on a Galloway-inspired warm-up plan; starting next month I'll be switching to the Galloway marathon beginners plan from runDisney. So that's two 30 minute runs on weekdays and a long run on the weekends.

Had a really bad run today. Didn't hurt myself or anything, but my general anxiety has been ramping up again lately and I was so tense when I got out there that I just couldn't loosen up to just...run. Chest too tight to breath well, muscles too tight to find a comfortable stride. Incredibly frustrating and I just have to hope Saturday is better (though it's only a 3 miler, so at least I won't be miserable for too long if it's another bad one).

But I finished the run, and I have to remind myself that not every training run is going to be good.

I hope it is ok to post something that is not related to any of the QOTD!

Today, I just registered for a Race (5K) end of May!

It is called Solo Run and held by a local Running Shop. The best thing is, it is not a virtual Race; they have prepared a Course.

You get a BIB (with a timing chip) and a mask via SnailMail. A few days before the Race they are going to send you an email with your personal starting time. Every runner gets his own starting time. The number of allowed Runners is limited, and between every "individual" start are 60 seconds. They have very strict rules, like:

- Wear a mask before and after the Race.
- No early show ups allowed.
- Leave the Finish line right after you grab your medal from a stand.
- Warm up and cool down are not allowed anywhere near the Start / Finish / Course.
- Keep a "social distance" while overtaking slower Runners.
- No spectators are allowed.

I like the idea, it feels like a time trial. The only thing I fear, what if other Runner do not follow all the Rules?

They offer three Running "Modes", Solo, Double (Where you can run with a friend (we are allowed here in Germany to run with one other person at the moment)), Familiy (Run with your complete household, also allowed here in Germany).

If you like, I report back, after the Race! I am going to run with a friend and we try to stay under 30 Minutes for that 5.2K, but the Course is a little bit hilly.
Yes, please report back to us - I'm very interested.
THANKS!
ET :darth:

ATTQOTD: I am currently on day 136 of my run streak, so I am running at least a mile every day. I made a goal for May to run 20 miles a week and also do one Peloton workout a day (this can include things like stretching and meditation, so I am not just going non-stop). It's getting hotter here, so the miles are hard to get in unless I get up early, which I am terrible at. For some reason, running is feeling extra hard nowadays and it makes me want to stop the run streak and enjoy some rest days, but I mean, 136 is a lot of days and I don't know how to when I would even want to stop it. Especially since I have nothing to interfere with it like vacations.

ATTQOTD: I am currently on day 136 of my run streak, so I am running at least a mile every day. I made a goal for May to run 20 miles a week and also do one Peloton workout a day (this can include things like stretching and meditation, so I am not just going non-stop). It's getting hotter here, so the miles are hard to get in unless I get up early, which I am terrible at. For some reason, running is feeling extra hard nowadays and it makes me want to stop the run streak and enjoy some rest days, but I mean, 136 is a lot of days and I don't know how to when I would even want to stop it. Especially since I have nothing to interfere with it like vacations.

What are vacations? :laughing:

Most of us in my office are going to have 4-6 weeks left over this year, and I’ll be damned if I’m using them up for a staycation.

I'm glad we can carry over vacation time so we can avoid the staycation problem. I'm debating 2021 spots now to use up all that extra time.

We’re normally allowed to carry over 5 days. This year they’re going to increase that to 10 days. I plan to take advantage, but I also find it beneficial to take a day here and there while working from home just as a mental refresher.

We are allowed to carry up to 10 days to the next period which is normally starting May 1st. My employer has extended that to July 1st exceptionally this year which means that some people are forced to staycationing 😵 or get paid.

I had used most of mine but am taking today’s off for an extra long weekend (Canada has next Monday off). It is pouring outside and I am totally bored. Our three weeks summer vacation has been canceled. I don’t know what I will do with four weeks vacation until next May (plus the two I will carryover). No plane until this is resolved (treatment/vaccine/immunity) for us. It seems like the stay at home will be over August 31st at the earliest around here. 😷

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter