The Running Thread -- 2022

QOTD:

If you had to run 3 miles on Disney property, where would you do it?

(Next weekend I’ll be at MNSSHP. I am staying at Art of Animation but am open to going somewhere else for the run.)

QOTD:

(Next weekend I’ll be at MNSSHP. I am staying at Art of Animation but am open to going somewhere else for the run.)
Oh I like that route around Hourglass Lake! I'd just do that if I was staying at AoA. I like it better than the Crescent Lake path, even. Have a great time!

For Galloway assume you are always using run/walk/run. You can change your ratios depending on what you are doing but you pretty much always mix running and walking. In your example, I would assume long run pace for the weekend runs and those weekday runs could be done at either long run pace/ratio or you could use those as a chance to practice your race ratios.

Hello - I’m new to running and the W&D 1/2 will be my first ever race - I’m 65 (male). I’m following the Galloway run/walk with the encouragement of a runner I know. The weekday runs (30 minutes) are done at the pace I would like to go during the 1/2 at this point in the training (right now 13:00 min/mile). The weekend 3 mile runs are also at that pace. The long runs every other weekend are done 2 minutes/mile slower, or 15:00. I’m using the 30/30 run walk intervals to get the 13:00 and 15/45 to get the 15:00 right now. So:
1) run/walk always
2) the magic mile calculator is not for the long run pace in training, it’s for the weekday runs of 30 minutes and and 3 miles every other weekend. The long runs are done 2 min/mile slower.

This is my understanding, but as I’ve said I’m new to this. If anyone has a better understanding, I’m all ears!

1. It is assumes that you are always using run/walk intervals.

2. The short "tempo" runs are whatever pace you decide. Usually, you should be working at whatever your next important race is, but that is up to you. Long run pace is your race pace + 2 minutes per mile. And keep in the mind that that is a speed limit - i.e. you shouldn't be going any faster than that - and not a necessarily a pace suggestion. On long runs, you can certainly go slower (or even walk the whole thing) and get the same benefit.

The one concept that I had trouble with (and I don't think I'm alone on this) is that you are looking to hit certain paces. The interval suggestions are simply suggestions that work for most people. Your body may be different so you can try different intervals and see what works best. Can you change your intervals for different paces? Yes. Can you stay with the same intervals to get different paces? Yes. Again, it's what works best for you. I know that Chris Twiggs (running coach and head of the Galloway customized training program) has a video somewhere (maybe YouTube?) that he shot of himself running at three different paces - one a minute slower than race pace, one at race pace, and one a minute faster than race pace - all using the same intervals to demonstrate this concept.
Thanks everybody. Seems like a consensus that you use run/walk on *every* workout, and you can, and maybe even should, try different intervals on different runs to see what works. She just wants to try it out, not working toward a high-stakes race or anything, so this seems like a good starting point.

Half in each park. Not sure if 10 miler would qualify, I think it’s fair to expect to full to do so though? And yes has to be done within the same calendar year.
So, assuming they still have the coast to coast medal, it doesn’t matter which WDW half you do, as long as it’s in the same calendar year as the DL half? This is exciting!

So, assuming they still have the coast to coast medal, it doesn’t matter which WDW half you do, as long as it’s in the same calendar year as the DL half? This is exciting!
Now i just have to convince my wife that I NEED to get that medal...

Yes, when I registered for 2017 races they were both SW weekends and I would have gotten the Coast to Coast AND Kessel medals (broke my toe before the first race so it didn’t end up happening). If they bring back CtC I’d expect it to apply to any pair of race weekends for DL and WDW.

QOTD:

I like running around SSR. There are a lot of paths, and you can easily get 3 miles without repeating many (any??) areas. And I think it is peaceful and pretty, but I’m sure opinions vary on this.

I am feeling incredibly frustrated and angry with my city today. I was supposed to run a half marathon on 10/2, but today it was announced that the event is cancelled. The race organizers had to plan a new course due to major construction and got verbal approval on it a few months ago, but now they’re saying they were unable to get the permits from the city. This is not the first time this has happened - another event here had the same problem with trying to work with city but not being able to get the necessary permits. That race organization was silent for months about the status of the event, which was a red flag, and then officially cancelled relatively last minute. I don’t know what the problem is, but it’s clear it’s coming from the city and it’s so aggravating that they obviously don’t want to work with race organizers to make these races happen. Other cities are hosting large running events but not here. We’re losing so many great ones. :(

That annoucement made it into my news feed. I feel for anyone that was training for that race, especially the full. It is pretty close to the weekend and they'd have the miles ready to go. I'd personally find another race even if it meant flying to it. I threw a range of 10-1 - 10-9 and a 50 mile radius of Milwaukee into RunninInTheUDSA and it looks like there is one in Oconomowoc. 100 mile radius gets one in Long Grove, IL. Adding a week gets you a few more. Hopefully all the training doesn't go to waste.

Didn't Milwaukee also have problems with another race? Does the city just not work with race directors or is there another issue with Milwaukee as far as these races go?

Huge news just announced at D23: RD is coming back to DL, first race back is 2024.

This is good news but I'd hold off until they have actual announcements. They also said there would be kids races coming back to FL and we are past a year on those.

I ran the inaugural half in 2006 after running the WDW half and am annoyed I ran coast to coast before they had the medal. I'm not sure if I'd go to CA just to run another DL race but we do want to do a DL trip so if there is a race when kids are out of school and it works out for travel maybe I'll do it.

QOTD:

You can do 3 miles pretty easily at AoA between the two resorts and I've done some runs at POP pre-AoA so if you are looking for easy that is the place. My favorite place to run on property is the Boardwalk (Crescent Lake and the canal paths). If you have a car and haven't checked out Celebration I also love running there. I did a 10 mile on my last trip there and it is a beautiful place to run. There are also a few nice coffee shops for a post-run espresso.

Yes, full or Half at WDW and Half at DL in the same calendar year. But there was a special pink version of the C2C medal if your qualifying HMs were Princess and Tink. I was not aware of this distinction, so when I got my C2C at Tink in 2017, I was surprised to get both the pink and blue versions for the same races!

QoTd: I’d suppose running around MK. Another would be Epcot over by TT, around the world, into BW, over the bridge, back to BC, back through IGW, put past England and, back to the start would be a strong second

QOTD:

As already stated, the loop around AoA/Pop is a good one. You could also take the sky liner over the CBR/Riv and run the loop there. Or if you wanted to deal with the masses (because of when the skyliner opens and the lines can be longer at opening), take the skyliner to Epcot and run the loop around BC/YC/BWV and the Swolphin.

Yes, full or Half at WDW and Half at DL in the same calendar year. But there was a special pink version of the C2C medal if your qualifying HMs were Princess and Tink. I was not aware of this distinction, so when I got my C2C at Tink in 2017, I was surprised to get both the pink and blue versions for the same races!

Tinkerbell Half, here I come!! I try to stay away from pinkish-girly things, but I'm much more of a Princess Fan than a Fab Five lover

Tinkerbell Half, here I come!! I try to stay away from pinkish-girly things, but I'm much more of a Princess Fan than a Fab Five lover
Is there a particular princess that you are leaning towards in particular?

QOTD: I love rubbing around Swan, Dolphin, Boardwalk - and down the DHS. You can easily get 3 miles, it’s well lit, and amazing scenery!
That's my favourite as well - love the fact that you get a little bit of 2 parks in this run too.

Huge news just announced at D23: RD is coming back to DL, first race back is 2024.
Well this may change my plans - I've always wanted the coast to coast medal. I was originally thinking of doing W&D 2023. If they bring back the coast to coast I might wait and one of the 2024 WDW half marathons instead.

As already stated, the loop around AoA/Pop is a good one. You could also take the sky liner over the CBR/Riv and run the loop there. Or if you wanted to deal with the masses (because of when the skyliner opens and the lines can be longer at opening), take the skyliner to Epcot and run the loop around BC/YC/BWV and the Swolphin.
I absolutely adore the run along the canal from the Boardwalk to Hollywood Studios. So, the loop from Yacht and Beach Club over the bridge to Boardwalk and along the canal is my choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter