The Running Thread -- 2022

Last edited:
Tinkerbell Half, here I come!! I try to stay away from pinkish-girly things, but I'm much more of a Princess Fan than a Fab Five lover
Tink is one of my favorite characters, so I'm hoping they keep this theme, too. Of course, there are no guarantees and Disney could decide to start from scratch with all new weekends. I doubt they'd get rid of C2C altogether, but I can see them removing the complication of creating a second medal. I say this not to be a downer, but just thinking realistically of how much rD has changed since 2017 when Anaheim last had races. I wouldn't pin hard plans or big hopes on anything being the same.

Merida turned her mother into a bear, so.... maybe I'd rethink that one as a role model! :rotfl2:

That silly witch tricked her! ;)

Garmin question. I am not new to Garmin but am to my FR255s. I recently discovered how to put workouts in Connect, add to the calendar and sync to my watch, so when i go to start an activity, it shows and guides me thru the workout for that day.

Cool! Except that it overrides my interval alerts. The alerts are still turned on for that general (running, treadmill) activity, but when I do a synced workout, I don't get interval alerts. Anybody know if there's a way to fix this? (Aside from looking at the workout as a reminder and then dismissing it and doing the same thing manually?)

Garmin question. I am not new to Garmin but am to my FR255s. I recently discovered how to put workouts in Connect, add to the calendar and sync to my watch, so when i go to start an activity, it shows and guides me thru the workout for that day.

Cool! Except that it overrides my interval alerts. The alerts are still turned on for that general (running, treadmill) activity, but when I do a synced workout, I don't get interval alerts. Anybody know if there's a way to fix this? (Aside from looking at the workout as a reminder and then dismissing it and doing the same thing manually?)

Could you do some math (or I could) to determine how to write the workouts in Connect using the intervals? Like:

4 miles @ 70/30 @ 11:55/17:00

Would be:

13:05 minutes per mile X 4 miles = 52:22 minute workout

52:22 divided by 1:40 minutes per interval set = 31.4 interval sets

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 7.13.03 PM.png

More complicated workout:

8.5 mile @ 60/30 sec @ 14:20/17:00 + 1.25 miles @ 70/30 @ 11:55/17:00 (Easy + M Tempo)

LR = 15:07 min/mile
LR * 8.5 miles = 2:08:33
2:08:33 divided by 90 sec intervals = 85.7 intervals

+

13:05 minutes per mile X 1.25 miles = 16:21 minutes
16:21 divided by 1:40 minutes per interval set = 9.8 interval sets

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 7.19.29 PM.png

Tink is one of my favorite characters, so I'm hoping they keep this theme, too. Of course, there are no guarantees and Disney could decide to start from scratch with all new weekends. I doubt they'd get rid of C2C altogether, but I can see them removing the complication of creating a second medal. I say this not to be a downer, but just thinking realistically of how much rD has changed since 2017 when Anaheim last had races. I wouldn't pin hard plans or big hopes on anything being the same.

That silly witch tricked her! ;)
I like tink, but I wonder if they will do her again. Do they still have that tinkerbell and friends show? I would like a broader theme, but I wouldn't mind tinkerbell a time or two.

Could you do some math (or I could) to determine how to write the workouts in Connect using the intervals? Like:

4 miles @ 70/30 @ 11:55/17:00

Would be:

13:05 minutes per mile X 4 miles = 52:22 minute workout

52:22 divided by 1:40 minutes per interval set = 31.4 interval sets

View attachment 701907

More complicated workout:

8.5 mile @ 60/30 sec @ 14:20/17:00 + 1.25 miles @ 70/30 @ 11:55/17:00 (Easy + M Tempo)

LR = 15:07 min/mile
LR * 8.5 miles = 2:08:33
2:08:33 divided by 90 sec intervals = 85.7 intervals

+

13:05 minutes per mile X 1.25 miles = 16:21 minutes
16:21 divided by 1:40 minutes per interval set = 9.8 interval sets

View attachment 701908

I started down that road, then math happened. But this does make sense! I think I'll try this for a few runs and see how it works. The nice thing is, once the base math is done, it's easy to adjust. Thanks for the assist on that!

I think @DopeyBadger provided the best way to do this. I don't do run/walk but I do use the workouts for interval workouts. Here are a few examples:

You can see the intensity targets used here for the 400m repeat step. If you have targets for the run or walk you can add them even if it is just to make sure you are in the zone:
1663080210868.png
Here is one where you have two sets of interval repeats. These differ based on distance but you can do the same with speeds if you alter yours during longer workouts:

1663080327946-png.702092

And lastly a progression run that steps pace based on distance:

1663080453322.png

The moral of the story is you can do a lot with Garmin's workouts. The one limitation when it comes to run/walk that I know of is that any single repeat can only have a value up to 40:

1663080551900.png

I could see that being an issue with doing marathons using run/walk but you can just stack as many as you need to reach the distance. As you edit the workout it will tell you the total distance so you can add or remove the number based on the distance you are shooting for.

Attachments

• 1663080327946.png
    1663080327946.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 111
I think @DopeyBadger provided the best way to do this. I don't do run/walk but I do use the workouts for interval workouts. Here are a few examples:

You can see the intensity targets used here for the 400m repeat step. If you have targets for the run or walk you can add them even if it is just to make sure you are in the zone:
View attachment 702091
Here is one where you have two sets of interval repeats. These differ based on distance but you can do the same with speeds if you alter yours during longer workouts:

1663080327946-png.702092

And lastly a progression run that steps pace based on distance:

View attachment 702093

The moral of the story is you can do a lot with Garmin's workouts. The one limitation when it comes to run/walk that I know of is that any single repeat can only have a value up to 40:

View attachment 702094

I could see that being an issue with doing marathons using run/walk but you can just stack as many as you need to reach the distance. As you edit the workout it will tell you the total distance so you can add or remove the number based on the distance you are shooting for.

Oh wow, thank you! Good to know that 40 repeat limit. Thankfully the really long runs are just mileage at a consistent pace, so I can use the workout in the calendar as a reminder and just do a regular run with the built-in alerts. I have a flight today and will play a bit with these and try it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter