The Running Thread -- 2022

Please, please, please let us know if there is a general public discount… I already payed 100$ too much for each airplane tickets and over 200$ a night for AsMo feels like a punishment for wanting to come running at Disney.

Happy to see that some people are getting deals!
I definitely will, I still want a discount for Princess Weekend, and the AP gave me nothing (so far)

I had luck signing out and then going through the promo link under the places to stay tab and resigning in there.
This worked! I switched up the reservation for our first night on January 3rd, before we switch over to AKL. We were booked at AS Music for that first night (had a pretty good rate of $128). Saw the rate for Coronado Springs was $177 that night. So switched us to CSR. I have not been to CSR since they added the new building. My wife has never been. So figured why not. Since we get into Orlando around noon that day and I have to work for a bit, figured we could go hang out by the lake until our room is ready.

Last edited:
I feel like race weekend resort rates are all over the place these days - there used to be some amount of consistency that is entirely missing now!

W&D: forget it - there was nothing at all for a long time, and now that some options have opened up, I’ve seen nothing I’m willing to pay to stay onsite. Offsite Hilton family properties have had some quality rates.

WDW Marathon: Yikes! AP rates are totally intolerable to me - I agin did better offsite at a Hilton property.

Springtime Surprise: AP rates are good! I mean nothing like they once were, but totally acceptable! Hilton family options? WAY higher than they ought to be.

I’d think something like surge-pricing, but Springtime is a pretty busy time at WDW, so it’s odd to me that AP rates are as good as they are, while offsite is so high.

I feel like race weekend resort rates are all over the place these days - there used to be some amount of consistency that is entirely missing now!

W&D: forget it - there was nothing at all for a long time, and now that some options have opened up, I’ve seen nothing I’m willing to pay to stay onsite. Offsite Hilton family properties have had some quality rates.

WDW Marathon: Yikes! AP rates are totally intolerable to me - I agin did better offsite at a Hilton property.

Springtime Surprise: AP rates are good! I mean nothing like they once were, but totally acceptable! Hilton family options? WAY higher than they ought to be.

I’d think something like surge-pricing, but Springtime is a pretty busy time at WDW, so it’s odd to me that AP rates are as good as they are, while offsite is so high.
Yeah, I was shocked that I was able to upgrade from Pop to Coronado for Springtime Surprise and actually save a little money (only enough for a QS meal and maaaybe a snack, but savings is savings) but I can’t get anything for Princess Weekend without spending a lot more, even with AP rates, or switching from Movies to Sports, which I have no interest in doing.

I encountered something odd that maybe someone here will be able to explain.

About a month ago, I drove to the trailhead of a couple of natural-surface trails in Rock Creek National Park at the DC/Maryland border. I was getting out of the car and getting ready for my run and there was a man who was yelling a name into the woods. I figured he was calling a dog or maybe a child. I also thought I saw him holding a water bottle.

Well, after a moment, I realized he wasn't holding a water bottle - it was a brass bugle. He kept yelling out to someone, and then before I could ask him what he was doing with a bugle, he got a response from someone out on the trail. He called back, and then sprayed an X on the ground with "spray chalk" - I don't know if that's a real thing, but that's what it looked like. Then he blew a call on the bugle and started running down the trail.

I was going on a different trail, but I could hear him calling on the bugle several more times before I got out of earshot. I think that he and his "troops" (?) came from the trail I was going on, because there were occasional spray-chalk arrows and marks.

I have no idea if this was some sort of race or what. Does anyone know? Searching for the terms "race" + "bugle" doesn't get much of anything, LOL. I also couldn't find any events for Rock Creek on that date - it was a Saturday afternoon, and that's an unlikely day/time to get a permit from the park for an event like that. It was all pretty strange.

About a month ago, I drove to the trailhead of a couple of natural-surface trails in Rock Creek National Park at the DC/Maryland border. I was getting out of the car and getting ready for my run and there was a man who was yelling a name into the woods. I figured he was calling a dog or maybe a child. I also thought I saw him holding a water bottle.

Well, after a moment, I realized he wasn't holding a water bottle - it was a brass bugle. He kept yelling out to someone, and then before I could ask him what he was doing with a bugle, he got a response from someone out on the trail. He called back, and then sprayed an X on the ground with "spray chalk" - I don't know if that's a real thing, but that's what it looked like. Then he blew a call on the bugle and started running down the trail.

I was going on a different trail, but I could hear him calling on the bugle several more times before I got out of earshot. I think that he and his "troops" (?) came from the trail I was going on, because there were occasional spray-chalk arrows and marks.

I have no idea if this was some sort of race or what. Does anyone know? Searching for the terms "race" + "bugle" doesn't get much of anything, LOL. I also couldn't find any events for Rock Creek on that date - it was a Saturday afternoon, and that's an unlikely day/time to get a permit from the park for an event like that. It was all pretty strange.
That's weird and I have no idea. Dying to find out though!

Sounds like a hash run, or hashing, to me.

https://onin.com/hhh/hhhexpl.html

https://www.hashhouseharriers.com/what-is-hashing/

Has anyone here run the Clearwater Running Festival races in January? I consider it every year, but it always falls too soon after Dopey/WDW Marathon. Wondering if it’s worth trying this time - it’s a “home” race for me, which is always nice!

Has anyone here run the Clearwater Running Festival races in January? I consider it every year, but it always falls too soon after Dopey/WDW Marathon. Wondering if it’s worth trying this time - it’s a “home” race for me, which is always nice!

I have not but I used to be local to Clearwater.

Have you done any of the Florida Road Races? I did the Halloween Distance Classic back when it was the Halloween Halfathon and loved it. At some point I'm going to get down there for the December race.

Dates announced for the 2023-2024 WDW season (DL dates to come later), screencapping from my phone at work but might be worth it’s own thread.

View attachment 711824

I wonder if any of these will bring back the "runDisney Kids Adventures" they told us was in the works 8 race weekends ago! I'm really annoyed they haven't been able to figure something out since that announcement. Having nothing for young kids at a Disney race weekend is inexcusable IMO.

As @GreatLakes said, this is definitely a hash run. They’re held all over the world, and are a great way to meet fun people and see parts of an area in ways completely unexpected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter