The Running Thread -- 2022

QOTD:
1. Run without a watch or headphones?
Headphones. I never run with music.
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F? 0*F. I can get enough of hot running as it is
3. Listen to music or a podcast on the run? Neither. See #1 above
4. Only run local/nonDisney or runDisney races? nonDisney. Too many great races around the world to only run at Disney
5. Gels or chews? Gels
Bonus: Visit WDW or Disneyland? WDW. It’s an easy drive from our US house.

QOTD:
Headphones. I never run with music--although I have been known to sing whether out loud or in my head when the mood strikes.
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F? 0F I run warm, so give me the right outer layers and I'm fine. I'd prefer no wind, though.
3. Listen to music or a podcast on the run? Nothing...just the sounds of nature..... and the idiots with power lawn tools (Blowers are on my "list of things to disappear").
4. Only run local/nonDisney or runDisney races? nonDisney--if I decide to race anymore. I like the idea of having a vacation that includes a short, fun race.
5. Gels or Chews? Gels all the way. If I am truly racing (and not hobbling to the finish line) there is no greater hell than being expected to chew something. I actually declined chocolate at DHS many times for this reason---this is not a normal reaction of mine (even to the crappy Herhsey's miniatures they used to give). A sure fire indicator of how sucky my recent marathon was is that I stopped and had multiple Milky Ways.
Bonus: Visit WDW or Disneyland? Yeah....I may have to go with neither if we're talking about future visits. As for past visits, I guess WDW, since I have many good family memories. Although the first Disney park I ever went to was Disneyland in 1973 as part of a cross country trip. Not that I remember much (I was 14 and a typical teenager), but it was a very big deal for my mom to spend money to take us just for a day--back when rides were still done with tickets. I still have the guidebook--I found it in her stuff after she died.

Last edited:
QOTD
1 - even though it would be inconvenient I could track on my phone so I will choose without a watch. Though i usually only run with my Apple Watch and AirPods so this was a tough choice As you’re making me carry the phone again!
2 - 100 - as long as humidity is low. I may have picked this because it’s 3 right now and I’m about to head out for a run and really don’t want to.
3 - music
4 - run Disney
5 - Chews
Bonus: WDW

QOTD:

1. Run without a watch or headphones? without headphones - I'm usually with other people when I run now. and if I was pressed I would play a podcast/music out loud and just keep it quiet.
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F? 0*F. I prefer cold running to hot running.
3. Listen to music or a podcast on the run? this really depends... but lately I would say podcast. sometimes music tempo can mess up my pacing
4. Only run local/nonDisney or runDisney races? disney. I love the local/non disney but the disney bling is ELITE.
5. Gels or chews? chews. always. can't tolerate gels.
Bonus: Visit WDW or Disneyland? wdw! I know Disneyland is the OG but the castle is soooooo tiny and wdw has so much more to do

It's looking like the running thread is getting a little quiet... let's go for a Fun Friday Edition of This or That!

QOTD:
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F?
3. Listen to music or a podcast on the run?
4. Only run local/nonDisney or runDisney races?
5. Gels or chews?
Bonus: Visit WDW or Disneyland?
1. No use both watch and headphones.
2. Run in 0F
3.For long runs I do both a podcast and music! Shorter runs are just music!
4. a variety. This is my first run Disney but I'm sure there will be more in the future!
5. I actually prefer neither but to use applesauce packets and other real food items!
Visit WDW!

QOTD:
If I have to choose, without headphones, but I'd rather not choose
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F?
0, no question. I hate heat.
Podcast (or audiobook)
Only runDisney. I don't do that many local runs anyway
5. Gels or chews?
Gels!
WDW!

QOTD:
Headphones--most runs these days are without them anyways
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F? 0*, as someone said previously, you can always layer more
3. Listen to music or a podcast on the run? Neither these days, but I used to listen to audiobooks and can I recommend never listening to one that will make you cry? Not conducive to breathing while running.
4. Only run local/nonDisney or runDisney races? Non-Disney, just because there are so many more options
5. Gels or chews? Chews all the way. Gels make me sick :(
Bonus: Visit WDW or Disneyland? Disneyland, mainly due to the nostalgia of growing up in CA

ATQOTD:
1. Run without a watch or headphones? Headphones. I've never ran listening to music before.
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F? 0*F. You at least warm up throughout it. 100*F starts out bad and gets worse from there.
3. Listen to music or a podcast on the run? Neither. See #1.
4. Only run local/nonDisney or runDisney races? Local/non-Disney. There's a lot of other great race atmospheres and places to see/run besides just Disney.
5. Gels or chews? Gels.
Bonus: Visit WDW or Disneyland? Disney World.

It's looking like the running thread is getting a little quiet... let's go for a Fun Friday Edition of This or That!

QOTD:
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F?
5. Gels or chews?

1. Without headphones -- gotta track my run!
2. 0* but I'd hate both.
3. Podcasts or I run faster than I'm supposed to.
4. runDisney all the way
5. Gels
Bonus: WDW for a week; DL for a day.

1. Without headphones - I have never worn them while running and probably never will. I live for the silence!
2. Neither - but I guess I'd pick 0 if I had to choose.
3. Music, or I would lose track of what was going on in the podcast and have to rewind. (Is rewind still a word that is used? Am I showing my age?)
4. I could give up local and just do runDisney forever.
5. Chews - only sport beans for me!
Bonus: WDW

QOTD:
Headphones. I never run with music.
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F? 0*F. I can get enough of hot running as it is
3. Listen to music or a podcast on the run? Neither. See #1 above
4. Only run local/nonDisney or runDisney races? nonDisney. Too many great races around the world to only run at Disney
5. Gels or chews? Gels
Bonus: Visit WDW or Disneyland? WDW. It’s an easy drive from our US house.

1. Never headphones. I like hearing my huffing and puffing and too-heavy foot strikes.
2. 100F. Cold is the misery that just keeps giving.
3. Same answer. Neither. See #1
4. Local/nonDisney.
5. Sad to say: I don't run long enough anymore that fuel is an issue. If I did: cast iron stomach; pancakes, beer, gels, chews, cookies, cilantro, bananas, whatever...

QOTD:
This is a tough one. If I had to choose, headphones, but I don't want to!
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F? 0*F? I don't like running in the heat, but I feel like my legs would get stiff if it were that cold. It's got to be at least in the 20's.
3. Listen to music or a podcast on the run? Music motivates me more.
4. Only run local/nonDisney or runDisney races? I wouldn't want to give up running Disney, but if I only ever ran those, they probably wouldn't still be as special. I guess I would give up runDisney. Glad I don't have to do that!
5. Gels or chews? Sport Beans!
Bonus: Visit WDW or Disneyland? WDW. I love DL, and it's actually closer to me, but I feel more like I'm on vacation at WDW.

QOTD:

-Never headphones🙉 My BiL gifted me really nice Aftershockz(?) for Christmas, but I’ll likely sell them since my husband isn’t interested in using them

2. Run in 0*F or 100*F?
-Oof, I despise being cold, but I guess I could bundle up for 0? There’s only so many clothes I’m willing to run without, so 100 is a no. 🙈

-Neither willingly. Djs/artists along a race course are fine though.

-Local/nonDisney unless they ever bring back DLR rD.😢 The ridiculously early wake-ups and bussing are a drag at WDW. Currently at a hotel right in front of the start line of the 1/2 marathon we’re running in the morning. 😅 I’ll hear the race announcers for the full marathon likely before my alarm is set to go off. ☺️

5. Gels or chews?
Haven’t been able to stomach gels for a year or two, so sport beans cuz candy. 😋

DLR is our home park. We’ll head over for a meal or a few hours after school. We really never spend an entire day unless we’re doing a staycation at VGC or have family/visitors. WDW is fun for runDisney trips and guaranteed nighttime fireworks 🤩, but DLR is home. That said, I’m pretty irritated with both parks/money-grabbing changes. My top choice to use our DVC points right now is Aulani. 😎🥰

QOTD:

I'm definitely cheating here and saying without headphones, because I stopped running in them years ago!

2. Run in 0*F or 100*F?

Oh man, 0F and it's not even close. I wilt above 80F, I hate the heat.

When I was still bringing my headphones with me, music. But again, these days I much prefer to listen to the sounds of the city/nature.

Local races! Much more variety.

5. Gels or chews?

Gels. I struggle to chew anything while running.

Definitely WDW. More to do, more places to stay, and can be a full trip.

QOTD:

Without headphones. I never race with them and sometimes train without but does your run even count if you don't track it?
2. Run in 0*F or 100*F?
0! I can't handle the heat. My body does this not so awesome thing where it covers itself in hives if I get overheated.
Music for short runs. Podcasts for anything over an hour.
Local. There's so much less hassle.
5. Gels or chews?
Chews. Gels are a no go for me
Disneyland. I much prefer the atmosphere there even though I go way less frequently.

Quick shoe question -

During my Disney Marathon training, I was using one pair for all of my training. My feet would hurt a lot on my 15+ mile runs, so some friends suggested in the month leading up to the race I let those shoes sit to the side so the cushion would come back. So I wore other shoes for the last month or so and then brought my original shoes to the race. My feet still hurt at the end, so I think the cushion was just shot anyway. I retired them after the marathon.

I want to buy a second pair - so how do you split your shoes if you have more than one pair? Weekday shoes and long run shoes?

I was thinking I would turn my current shoes into weekday shoes and then buy a second pair for long runs on th weekends.

Quick shoe question -

During my Disney Marathon training, I was using one pair for all of my training. My feet would hurt a lot on my 15+ mile runs, so some friends suggested in the month leading up to the race I let those shoes sit to the side so the cushion would come back. So I wore other shoes for the last month or so and then brought my original shoes to the race. My feet still hurt at the end, so I think the cushion was just shot anyway. I retired them after the marathon.

I want to buy a second pair - so how do you split your shoes if you have more than one pair? Weekday shoes and long run shoes?

I was thinking I would turn my current shoes into weekday shoes and then buy a second pair for long runs on th weekends.

I have two pairs of shoes that I rotate during training. I alternate their usage every run so that they have time to recover between uses.

So for me it depends if I'm using 2 pairs of the same shoe or two different models. If its different models, I'll usually do one for shorter runs and one for long runs. If it's the same model, then I usually just alternate every other run.

Quick shoe question -

I alternate every run unless there is a day off in between and will try to keep the less used shoe for the long runs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter