The Running Thread -- 2022

ATTQOTD: The training for the half is manageable (weekly volume somewhere between 35km and 50km) and easily scalable to other distances (invite me to run Dopey all expenses paid with a month notice and I am there, same for a fast 10k) so that’s what I would want as an enjoyable base. However, I find it important to change things up over a year. Both DD and I are starting a new plan today. I am focusing on the half marathon distance while DD was super happy to train for a 5k after having trained for a half recently. Going fast as Spring approaches felt good for her.

ATTQOTD: if I’m only training for one race, I like training for a full. I enjoy the 2-3 hour long runs with friends. If I’m training for multiple races and/or longer distance triathlons, the half fits in much better. Like now, for example. I have multiple 100-ish mile cycling events this month, a 70.3 relay in two weeks, and a 5k sea swim the week after that. Trying to fit a full into all that would be too much.

QOTD:
What race distance do you most enjoy the *training* for? Not which race distance is your favorite, but for which distance do you find the training cycle to be the most enjoyable, and why?

Another vote for the HM. I actually enjoy racing the 10k the best but like someone above said, a HM training plan is such a good balance. Some longer runs, a little speed work but not too much, and pretty easy to fit around life.

ATTQOTD: I enjoy training for the marathon more than any other distance. It gives me a good volume of running and I feel like I'm getting something out of each run. I should probably apply a pretty big caveat that I enjoy marathon training the most when using an @DopeyBadger plan tailored to my pacing. I think if I were using a standard plan going up to 20+ mile runs I would probably feel differently under the grind of those extra long time and mileage days.

I'm currently in the middle of my marathon training cycle. Thinking about the various races I've trained or am training for, I think hm is my favorite length to train for! A few longer runs ( I consider anything more than a 10k "long"), some speed/interval work...overall it just feels super manageable!

ATTQOTD: For me, from the 5k to the marathon, there's little difference in the volume I do in each plan. When I'm training for a 5k, I still like to do 16-19 mile (120-150 min) runs. Same as when I train for a marathon. There's a lot of endurance needed for all these distances. The difference comes in the focus on the 1-2 weekday hard runs. For the 5k, the focus is more on mile pace through 10k pace. For the M, the focus is more on HM Tempo through M Tempo. Despite my love of the marathon, those sustained M Tempo runs are a real bear for me. This current cycle is the first time I've focused on 10k training, and I'm really enjoying it. I've introduced several new workout types that I've never tried before that have been really fun.

Vigil: 1.5 mile WU + 6 x 1 mile @ 10k w/ 3.5 min RI + 1.5 mile CD
Just slightly faster than Daniels T pace for me, but the RI is about 2-2.5 min more. That extra rest allows for a more sustained goal pace. Done it twice (once on treadmill and once outside) and I liked seeing the improvement between the two attempts.

Descending Special Ks: 3 mile WU + 3 sets of (1km HMT + 1 min RI + 1km 10k + 2 min RI + 1km 5k + 3 min RI) + 1.5 mile CD
This one was deceivingly difficult. I had a whale of a time trying to get down to 5k pace. It was really interesting to alternate these different effort levels so close to one another. It made HMT feel super easy in comparison to 5k pace.

The Michigan: 1.5 mile WU + (1 mile 10k + 1 mile HMT + 0.75 mile 10k + 1 mile HMT + 0.5 mile 5k + 1 mile HMT + 0.25 mile 5k) w/ 2.5 min EA between reps + 1.5 mile CD
Only did this one on the treadmill. It is described online as one of the hardest workouts out there. It was hard, but certainly not the hardest I've done (the Daniels 2x3 mi T w/ I and R paces to finish comes to mind). But there is disagreement online about what truly is the Michigan workout. There's a harder version than this one that simply seems to equate to running 5.5 miles at average 10k pace. I'd like to come back to this one on the road someday (not the harder version as that just seems insane).

Rat-A-Tat: 4 mile WU + 16 sets of (400m @ 10k + 15 sec RI) + 1.5 mile CD
This was a fantastic workout and something I really enjoyed. I felt like the combo of the distance on the 400m, the RI of 15 sec, and the effort level was spot on. As described, those last four reps were a gut punch to pull out. A really good workout to work on cadence and rhythmic breathing without absolutely blasting you for the whole workout.

Fast, Steady, Blast: 2.5 mile WU + 1500m @ 5k+10-20 sec + 3 min RI + 40 min Progression starting at 90s slower than 5k working to 20s slower than 5k for last 5 min (7:40, 7:25, 7:10, 6:55, 6:45, 6:30 for 5 min) + 3 min RI + 2x300m at Mile w/ 3 min RI + 1.5 mile CD
This was described as a race simulator. You load the legs with fatigue in the first 1500m interval, then throw in a Progression with increasing effort levels (like a race), and then do some really fast paced work to close on a kick. This was easier than the 14 mile Progression I did a few weeks prior, but I felt like this was a useful workout.

Lumberjack: 1.5 mile WU + 4x400m @ 5k w/ RI at 3:30 min total interval + 10 min at 30k pace (6:53) + 3 min RI + 4x400m @ 5k w/ RI at 3:30 min total interval + 10 min at 30k pace + 3 min RI + 4x400m @ 5k w/ RI at 3:30 min total interval + 1.5 mile CD
(scheduled for tonight)

So maybe a bit of recency bias, but I'm liking the training for the 10k. Although, I do want to give a shoutout to the mile training. It's uniquely different from the 5k to M training, and was a lot of fun too. I'm planning on going back to that for a short stint after Princess training. Honestly, I love them all for their unique twists and try to include a variety of focuses over the entire year.

Anyone tried out Atreyu running shoes? They caught my eye since they are based out of Austin, TX. So not too far away. They only have two models available, a base model and a race model. The race model seems to be always sold out. So thinking about trying out the base model. Not a bad price point. Definitely interested to hear some reviews if people have ran in them before.

Anyone tried out Atreyu running shoes? They caught my eye since they are based out of Austin, TX. So not too far away. They only have two models available, a base model and a race model. The race model seems to be always sold out. So thinking about trying out the base model. Not a bad price point. Definitely interested to hear some reviews if people have ran in them before.
Oh, I may have to order a pair just to try them out. $85, what?!? And out of ATX. I love that!

QOTD:
What race distance do you most enjoy the *training* for? Not which race distance is your favorite, but for which distance do you find the training cycle to be the most enjoyable, and why?

Probably halfs because it's just sequentially adding a mile to the long run each week to my (very low) base.
Have only used a real training plan once-for a marathon, and agree that it's the middle of the week mileage that's more difficult for me than the long runs.
Am now training for speed for the first time (10M) it is NOT fun. Probably because I'm still 6 weeks out and the volume is already more than my peak for half marathons.😵

I know, right?! Just struggling with the fact that I currently have a pair with 75mi, and a pair with 150mi that'll get me through pretty much the whole summer.

I hate picking out new shoes! I am very fussy about them and I can go through a whole store of styles and sizes/widths before finding the perfect one - only to hate it after my first actual run in it. I swear that the sales associates run and hide in the back when I come in. It's bad! So when I find a shoe that I like, I buy at least five of them. Right now, I have one pair that's not in use but still serviceable for a short run in a pinch, one perfect pair, one that I'm breaking in, and two pairs still in boxes. And if I find them at the right price, I would still be tempted to buy another pair.

I hate picking out new shoes! I am very fussy about them and I can go through a whole store of styles and sizes/widths before finding the perfect one - only to hate it after my first actual run in it. I swear that the sales associates run and hide in the back when I come in. It's bad! So when I find a shoe that I like, I buy at least five of them. Right now, I have one pair that's not in use but still serviceable for a short run in a pinch, one perfect pair, one that I'm breaking in, and two pairs still in boxes. And if I find them at the right price, I would still be tempted to buy another pair.

I am with you. If you find a pair you like, grab as many as possible for future use. I find a lot of times that even though it is the same "model", the shoe fits different from version to version. One of my favorite running shoes was the Asics Gel Excite 7. It just fit my feet perfect and loved the price point. The Gel Excite 8 came out and it feels no where near as good as the 7. I wish I would have stocked up on the 7 when my size was still in stock.

Last edited:
Get the shoes! My favorite running shoe, in my size is sold out EVERYWHERE. Even the brand website is saying check your local store. So save yourself some frustrations later and just get them 😁

Get the shoes! My favorite running shoe, in my size is sold out EVERYWHERE. Even the brand website is saying check your local store. So save yourself some frustrations later and just get them 😁

I was discussing this issue with my PT at an appointment today. She's having a very hard time keeping stock of her needles for dry needling and the thermoplastic sheets she uses to modify insoles. In addition, the owner of the local running store was told by Brooks that they might not be able to fill upcoming low-volume orders for their shoes. Stockpiling tends to make these situations worse, but if you're close to needing new shoes it's probably advisable to look now and buy if you can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter