The Running Thread -- 2022

I won't make that mistake again. Too many vacation races where I'm the only one actually racing.

I'm usually the only one running in my party, too. Occasionally one or two family members will do the 5K or 10K only, but I'm the one keeping to the race schedule for the most part. For Spring Surprise (and W&D) we just happened to plan non-rD trips at the right/wrong time to add the 5K at the end of the trip. It actually worked pretty well for SS, as I was only doing the one race and could treat the whole thing as a regular Disney trip until the last day and a half. It wasn't the focus of the entire thing. I think if all my Disney trips were always for races, that would get old real fast, especially as the only one doing the runs.

I don't think this is a klutzy issue as much as a concentration issue. In road running, it's possible to set your legs on cruise, hit an easy rhythm, and almost mentally check out on what the feet and legs are doing. It's one of the things that I love about road racing.

On the trails you have to be alert and focused on every footfall you make. Let that concentration slip and a root or rock or patch of mud will make you pay. I find trail running to be far more mentally taxing because of that.

You forgot to mention that the roots on trail get larger the longer the race is. I noticed in my first 50-mile race that the tiny roots on lap #1 were full fledged logs by lap #3. ;)

If you do this, I'd love to hear how it went! I'm going to be in Amsterdam for a few days around the first of May -- might be a good way to fight jet lag.

1650996828602.png

Did the tour last night around 7pm. It was fun with all the people celebrating King's Day/Queen's Night in the streets. A lot of outdoor DJs and stuff. And I put on my orange shirt from the Princess Challenge to celebrate with all the Dutch people :)

Like I anticipated, David, my guide, was at a really fast pace for me. Good thing that we would stop every quarter mile or so to talk about the city, cause I couldn't have handled the whole run. I was too shy/proud to ask him to slow down.

The real tour is about ~11km. For a Tuesday night, it was too much for me and I asked to cut it a bit short. But he still made me run over 10k. It was super interesting though, so I'm glad I did it!

Attachments

• IMG_20220426_193559.jpg
    IMG_20220426_193559.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 20
I think this is just a copy editing error. I would do as the others suggest and follow the minutes described in the plan itself.

Yesterday I did a quick glance at the hm plan and it had the exact same intro text but that plan actually has the 30 min weekday runs. Someone just didn’t bother updating it for the 5k plan.

In the "Seriously, this next?" category.....yesterday on my easy neighborhood run, I stepped on a perfect little short, round section of fallen branch and rolled my foot. Cue the heel hobble home (nicely alliterative), ice and crutches....and leftover extra strength Aleve. I have at least strained/pulled multiple ligaments/tendons/muscles. At most? Well, I do not plan to go to the doctors so who knows. I really don't think anything's broken, but I'm just really annoyed/frustrated.

And with that "short round" reference, Now might be the time to go catch a midday showing of Everything, Everywhere All at Once.

Really enjoyed my run today, but after checking it on my app, I got annoyed by running apps in general. Right now I'm following a plan to generally increase my weekly mileage. Yesterday and today I had workouts planned for 38 mins at an easy pace. I started each workout in the same place right outside my house. Both days I stopped the workout within a few seconds of the app telling me the workout ended. So far so good. Today, I was following the exact same route as yesterday, and I hear the 3 minutes left voice prompt. I was feeling good so I picked up the pace just a little to see if I could get just a bit further than yesterday. Nothing crazy, just having some fun. And I did, I got may .1-.2 miles further than yesterday! Yay! Right? Except my app is telling me that today's run was .2 miles SHORTER than yesterday's. :headache:

It's a little thing that is probably just gps error, but it's annoying. It means the pace data is completely off. According to the app (MapMyRun, btw) I ran faster yesterday than today, even though I clearly ran further in the same amount of time today.

Bah!

Out of curiosity I exported both workouts to Runkeeper and it seem to recalculate the distance and correctly identifies the second run as longer and faster than the first one.

View attachment 665218

Did the tour last night around 7pm. It was fun with all the people celebrating King's Day/Queen's Night in the streets. A lot of outdoor DJs and stuff. And I put on my orange shirt from the Princess Challenge to celebrate with all the Dutch people :)

Like I anticipated, David, my guide, was at a really fast pace for me. Good thing that we would stop every quarter mile or so to talk about the city, cause I couldn't have handled the whole run. I was too shy/proud to ask him to slow down.

The real tour is about ~11km. For a Tuesday night, it was too much for me and I asked to cut it a bit short. But he still made me run over 10k. It was super interesting though, so I'm glad I did it!

Thanks so much for taking the time to post about this! I wondered about King's Day and if they would do it -- glad you were able to be part of the festivities.

Really enjoyed my run today, but after checking it on my app, I got annoyed by running apps in general. Right now I'm following a plan to generally increase my weekly mileage. Yesterday and today I had workouts planned for 38 mins at an easy pace. I started each workout in the same place right outside my house. Both days I stopped the workout within a few seconds of the app telling me the workout ended. So far so good. Today, I was following the exact same route as yesterday, and I hear the 3 minutes left voice prompt. I was feeling good so I picked up the pace just a little to see if I could get just a bit further than yesterday. Nothing crazy, just having some fun. And I did, I got may .1-.2 miles further than yesterday! Yay! Right? Except my app is telling me that today's run was .2 miles SHORTER than yesterday's. :headache:

It's a little thing that is probably just gps error, but it's annoying. It means the pace data is completely off. According to the app (MapMyRun, btw) I ran faster yesterday than today, even though I clearly ran further in the same amount of time today.

Bah!

Out of curiosity I exported both workouts to Runkeeper and it seem to recalculate the distance and correctly identifies the second run as longer and faster than the first one.
GPS error is frustrating. I run the exact same path every Monday and my watch tells me I ran anywhere from 2.35-2.65 miles. Maybe you need to upgrade to a super-fancy GPS watch!
PS mine is not super-fancy, bottom of the line, thus I still get a lot of error :)

Bah!

Are you using a watch or your phone? If it is your phone where are you keeping it while running? Are you in a large city, the burbs, surrounded by mountains?

At the end of the day fractions of a mile or a few seconds won't really matter so I wouldn't worry much about it.

Are you using a watch or your phone? If it is your phone where are you keeping it while running? Are you in a large city, the burbs, surrounded by mountains?

At the end of the day fractions of a mile or a few seconds won't really matter so I wouldn't worry much about it.
Running the app on my phone, but it maps to my Apple watch as well. This is in the suburbs in Central Texas. No mountains around. No tall buildings. Should be a pretty clear signal.

I know it doesn't matter much. But it annoys the data nerd in me!

Running the app on my phone, but it maps to my Apple watch as well. This is in the suburbs in Central Texas. No mountains around. No tall buildings. Should be a pretty clear signal.

I know it doesn't matter much. But it annoys the data nerd in me!

I thought Apple watches had GPS chips now? Take a look at this video by DCRainmaker. It talks about the accuracy of some of the newer watches. This video by him, about the Fitbit Charge 5, andthe GPS issue when the watch is tight are a good indication of how your body will block GPS and make it less accurate.

I really want that EPIX Gen 2 and came very close to buying it this weekend but I want to wait to see what the 955 offers first.

I thought Apple watches had GPS chips now? Take a look at this video by DCRainmaker. It talks about the accuracy of some of the newer watches. This video by him, about the Fitbit Charge 5, andthe GPS issue when the watch is tight are a good indication of how your body will block GPS and make it less accurate.

I really want that EPIX Gen 2 and came very close to buying it this weekend but I want to wait to see what the 955 offers first.
The watches do have GPS.

You and me both. I love my 945 but will likely upgrade to either the Epix or the 955. I hope one or both of them are better in open water than the 945. The 920 was rock solid, and yet somehow they can't get back to that level of accuracy.

In addition to GPS accuracy in general I think watch tightness and exactly where/how you carry your phone could be making a difference. If I don't cinch my Garmin band one more notch, it bumps back and forth on my wrist. If you do one run in shorts with the phone in a loose pocket versus another in a tight leggings pocket, the extra phone movement could account for different measurements.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter