The Running Thread -- 2022

Since it is my first dive into the GPS world, and right now just wanting something to show me distance, time, and pace, picked up a Garman Forerunner 55 yesterday. Played around with it for a bit last night and did all the cell phone synching. Hoping to take it out for a run today. If this works out, I could definitely see upgrading to one of the more sophisticated models in a year or two.

A comment on the AMOLED screen of the Epix. I have the Venu, which was Garmin's first AMOLED screen. I got it for Christmas 2019. I really love the AMOLED screen. However, after some time, I can see that it has burn-in. I have visited the Garmin Venu forum to see that others have this issue. It's not been a huge issue for me, personally, but if you're planning to keep the watch for many years, you'll have to think about that.

I have my Venu set to come on when I "gesture", that is, look at my wrist. So it's not on most of the time. Even so, my normal data-rich watch face has burned in so that it affects the appearance of the running data screens a bit. The biggest effect is on an app that I use to track my tennis because for some reason it wants to have small black text on a white background - the white is not as even in appearance as it used to be.

I imagine that I'll be upgrading to a new AMOLED Garmin in the next couple years. I considered the Venu 2s, but may wait for the next generation. I looked at the Epix, but it's way too expensive.

DCRainmaker did mention in his EPIX deep dive that there has been a significant upgrade in the AMOLED screen between the first Venu and now. Of course that is one of those things that can't be proven before the fact since it takes time but at least Garmin was cognizant of the need for some changes likely to both materials and their pixel-shifting algorithms.

Has anyone else ever experienced pain in their upper thighs? I feel bruised, but don't see a bruise. It hurts to bend my legs (not at the joints, but my thigh hurts - almost like it's muscular). The right is worse than the left and it might??? be swollen. I can't really tell. The only thing I can think of that's new is having gone for a run 3 days in a row. All felt good and I've had no falls or bumps (no bumps I can remember, other than when I banged my head on Tuesday). Can't see any discoloration.

I'm going to just try to manage the little bit of pain with Advil or Tylenol. Luckily I'm about to be snowed in so I'll spend tomorrow doing literally nothing. I was planning on 8 miles Sunday after the storm calms down and roads start to be cleared.

Has anyone else ever experienced pain in their upper thighs? I feel bruised, but don't see a bruise. It hurts to bend my legs (not at the joints, but my thigh hurts - almost like it's muscular). The right is worse than the left and it might??? be swollen. I can't really tell. The only thing I can think of that's new is having gone for a run 3 days in a row. All felt good and I've had no falls or bumps (no bumps I can remember, other than when I banged my head on Tuesday). Can't see any discoloration.

I'm going to just try to manage the little bit of pain with Advil or Tylenol. Luckily I'm about to be snowed in so I'll spend tomorrow doing literally nothing. I was planning on 8 miles Sunday after the storm calms down and roads start to be cleared.
That’s what my legs felt like after I did 5K/10K/half on successive days earlier this month. It went away after a few days.

I did a 10K a few years ago that was an entirely downhill course and my quads hurt for probably a week after. It felt fairly gradual for the most part, though cumulatively the drop was significant. I felt no pain while running, so it really surprised me. Have you been doing a lot of downhill training recently, even if it doesn't seem to be extreme grades?

I did a 10K a few years ago that was an entirely downhill course and my quads hurt for probably a week after. It felt fairly gradual for the most part, though cumulatively the drop was significant. I felt no pain while running, so it really surprised me. Have you been doing a lot of downhill training recently, even if it doesn't seem to be extreme grades?

my Tuesday and Thursday runs were the same route I've been running for a few months. my Wednesday route was a hilly route.

this pain seems more like bruising than muscular. I have some redness where the pain is, right at the top of my thigh. it's very weird.

my Tuesday and Thursday runs were the same route I've been running for a few months. my Wednesday route was a hilly route.

this pain seems more like bruising than muscular. I have some redness where the pain is, right at the top of my thigh. it's very weird.
Did you take the pineapple out of the running belt?

oops, wrong joke…

;-)

( In all seriousness, I hope you figure it out. I’m stumped)

Question: All my life it's been the same thing: I need to do strength training but I hate doing strength training. I can't stick to any program. This week I read a book about the history of women's fitness trends in America, and there was a whole bit on Buns of Steel. I never got into it at the time, but it sounds like it was focused on "buns" and thighs? Doesn't this sound perfect for runners? I'm thinking of finding old videos on YouTube and giving it a try. Has anyone done this? Is it an injury waiting to happen, or the perfect thing for runners (or somewhere in between)?

Question: All my life it's been the same thing: I need to do strength training but I hate doing strength training. I can't stick to any program. This week I read a book about the history of women's fitness trends in America, and there was a whole bit on Buns of Steel. I never got into it at the time, but it sounds like it was focused on "buns" and thighs? Doesn't this sound perfect for runners? I'm thinking of finding old videos on YouTube and giving it a try. Has anyone done this? Is it an injury waiting to happen, or the perfect thing for runners (or somewhere in between)?
The trainer we had at a former workplace of mine said that i needed to incorporate weight training as part of weight loss, as well as fitness. Her explanation was that after a run, my body returns to resting metabolic rate rather quickly, whereas my metabolic rate would stay higher for longer after doing weights. That said, my weight work is nearly all upper body. I grew up on a mountain and my lower body developed from riding a bicycle all over a lot of elevation changes, so I haven't done any lower body weight training for running. Hopefully someone else here can offer better commentary.

I’ve never tried this but also need to find some strength training that I can stick too. I have no idea what the workouts are like but I imagine the videos would be quite entertaining (at least the first few times).

Best thing I ever did was walk into my local gym 12 years ago and meet with a trainer. I explained that I just wanted to stave off bone loss, support my cardio and not get buff or anything crazy. We talked about his training philosophy and how often I would need to come in, and I've been going to him one day a week ever since. We mix it up between machines, free weights and balance exercises, and I could probably do all that we do on my own by now, but having a real live person waiting for me on Tuesday afternoons keeps me accountable.

I saw the PT today. I have new exercises (no surprise) and back to weight bearing ones at that. I also get to start running, albeit very slowly. She wants me to start with a run/walk, again not surprised. She said i don't have to stay that way but for now coming off the injury we will start that way. I get to do a 2/2 minute interval and get ready for it, I can go for a total of 20 minutes every other day. Next week if everything still feels good i can bump it up to 30 minutes. While it is a very slow start going to look at the positive, I can start Feb with a run. Taking what I can get. Being older means having to start slower. She did clear me to hike so i will also start hiking again next weekend. Trying to build to one of my 2022 goals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter