• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Third US case of coronavirus confirmed in OC

I hope you all stay healthy! You made me think of this meme. It's funny 'cause it's true.

View attachment 469307

On a hilarious note, my children are disgusting. They're 11 and 13 and just yesterday evening, the 13 yr old stuck her finger in her mouth and then wiped her spit ON MY FACE! :crazy2: I barked at her, "Don't you know what sort of germs are floating around out there? You are NOT allowed to do that again until APRIL!" :rotfl:Seriously, my kids are petri dishes. Not nearly as bad as when they were age 5 and younger, but I really want to break out the hazmat suits when either of them go old school on me and start putting spit on me.

On a hilarious note, my children are disgusting. They're 11 and 13 and just yesterday evening, the 13 yr old stuck her finger in her mouth and then wiped her spit ON MY FACE! :crazy2: I barked at her, "Don't you know what sort of germs are floating around out there? You are NOT allowed to do that again until APRIL!" :rotfl:Seriously, my kids are petri dishes. Not nearly as bad as when they were age 5 and younger, but I really want to break out the hazmat suits when either of them go old school on me and start putting spit on me.
Kids are so gross 😂 My five year old is sick as a dog on the sofa right now, and DH said to me, “Well on the bright side, he DID sneeze in my mouth yesterday [eyeroll].” We (the royal We) start kindergarten in the fall, and I’m sure it will be viruspalooza at our house for six months.

I continue to maintain that the flu is a much more real and severe risks for all Americans than the corona virus at this point. CDC information regarding complications from the novel corona virus can be found here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/symptoms.html. The corona virus is not deadly to everyone who catches it. Severity can range from mild to extreme—just like the flu.

However, in comparison to the 5 US cases of corona virus and 6,171 cases worldwide (according to the above chart), the CDC estimates 15 MILLION flu cases so far this year, including 140,000 hospitalizations, and 8,200 deaths—i.e., there have been more deaths from flu this year than the total number of people reported to have even contracted corona virus. This information can be found here: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm. And the flu is VERY contagious, including from person-to-person transmission, and is easily spread before the infected person even knows they’re sick.

I am not trying to fear-monger with respect to the flu. My point is that most healthy people do not spend significant time worrying about contracting flu, yet are panicking about an illness that, so far, poses a far less significant threat to anyone not actually traveling to Wuhan, China.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I don't think people need to IGNORE the corona virus, but practise good hygiene, up the immune system in any way you can, wash your hands like crazy... I just think that fear-mongering about this virus isn't useful, effective, or accurate. Be aware, but as you said, we don't stress so much about the general flu, which affects more people and (according to most parameters) is more deadly.

I think it is all the unknown variables of the corona virus that is so frightening to so many people. Once we know more, we can protect ourselves more effectively

Kids are so gross 😂 My five year old is sick as a dog on the sofa right now, and DH said to me, “Well on the bright side, he DID sneeze in my mouth yesterday [eyeroll].” We (the royal We) start kindergarten in the fall, and I’m sure it will be viruspalooza at our house for six months.

Oh yeah. When I started teaching, I got sick ALL the time. Every time I changed schools or grade levels, sick sick sick.

On the plus side, now that I've been around every contagious illness all the time for more than 12 years, regularly with a lack of sleep or bad nutrition, my body has adapted to fight off everything. I can't count how many illnesses sweep through the school and my house every couple of months. Everyone down and out but me, it seems. We were on a river cruise last summer and so many people on the boat got sick it seemed except me, people were asking me why I was so (comparatively) healthy... I said I didn't know, but DH told everyone it was because I was getting coughed on and sneezed on and puked on regularly by a bunch of kids every day. (Although thank god I don't actually get puked on regularly...)

Ew.

So on the plus side, when your five-year-old is bringing all those germs home, just think about how strong your immune system will become with time...

Although, ew ew ew for sneezing right in his mouth! Yup, kids are gross.

Agree kids are gross. My DD was sick with a cough and fever over MLK weekend. She said her throat hurt so I looked in her throat to see if she had signs of strep (white spots in her throat) and she coughed in my face. She is 12 I was far enough back that she could have moved her head away. Luckily I don't think I got it but DH who avoided her like the plague did.

I did work in a daycare for almost 9 years after I graduated high school. I have been around it all and like the above post, I have been coughed on, sneezed on, noses wiped on me and I have been puked on more then once. I think I have a great immune system now. When DH and I started dating I was never sick but he was sick all the time. I was nice enough to bust his immune system by bringing all the germs home with me.

Agree kids are gross. My DD was sick with a cough and fever over MLK weekend. She said her throat hurt so I looked in her throat to see if she had signs of strep (white spots in her throat) and she coughed in my face. She is 12 I was far enough back that she could have moved her head away. Luckily I don't think I got it but DH who avoided her like the plague did.

I did work in a daycare for almost 9 years after I graduated high school. I have been around it all and like the above post, I have been coughed on, sneezed on, noses wiped on me and I have been puked on more then once. I think I have a great immune system now. When DH and I started dating I was never sick but he was sick all the time. I was nice enough to bust his immune system by bringing all the germs home with me.

Ewwwww....

And so considerate of you to care for his immune system like that!

I'm just happy I don't teach the wee young ones anymore. Now that I teach high school the likelihood of me getting puked on has lessened a bit (though it hasn't been eradicated completely, unfortunately...)

So I've been trying to not read the news too much, but this thread made me Google. NY Times is reporting that the U.S. government evacuated U.S. citizens from Wuhan.

British Airways won't fly to or from China. United Airlines and Air Canada are limiting their flights.

I'm not going to panic or cancel a trip to Orlando, but a little alarming. I'm glad I don't have any plans to fly for at least a year and a half

It’s important to know what’s out there but, aside from the previously mentioned frequent hand washing with soap and water, I find it less important to panic and more important to combat the persistent misinformation about vaccination risks still spread by anti-vax woosters about flu and preventable (or mitigatable) childhood illnesses. I find it immensely frustrating to see efforts and resources put into vaccine development, just to see those vaccines discredited by people to feed their own sense of self-importance or to sell books, lectures, and nutritional supplements (mind you, I’m NOT talking about the very small percentage of kids with actual, severe sensitivities to certain vaccine ingredients or family history of serious vaccine reactions... those rely even more about your and my willingness to vaccinate whenever possible).

/PSA

Carry on...

It’s important to know what’s out there but, aside from the previously mentioned frequent hand washing with soap and water, I find it less important to panic and more important to combat the persistent misinformation about vaccination risks still spread by anti-vax woosters about flu and preventable (or mitigatable) childhood illnesses. I find it immensely frustrating to see efforts and resources put into vaccine development, just to see those vaccines discredited by people to feed their own sense of self-importance or to sell books, lectures, and nutritional supplements (mind you, I’m NOT talking about the very small percentage of kids with actual, severe sensitivities to certain vaccine ingredients or family history of serious vaccine reactions... those rely even more about your and my willingness to vaccinate whenever possible).

/PSA

Carry on...

I wish I could like this more than once. Living with a cancer patient, I am keenly aware of germs this season (but I was always fully vaccinated before). I am seeing people on FB say they won't get the vaccine. One friend asked where she could get the flu shot because another friend would not let her see their newborn unless she did. Other friends told her to just lie and say she got the vaccine and that getting the vaccine would be worse because THEN she would be spreading the flu because the virus makes you contagious.

Oh yeah. When I started teaching, I got sick ALL the time. Every time I changed schools or grade levels, sick sick sick.

On the plus side, now that I've been around every contagious illness all the time for more than 12 years, regularly with a lack of sleep or bad nutrition, my body has adapted to fight off everything. I can't count how many illnesses sweep through the school and my house every couple of months. Everyone down and out but me, it seems. We were on a river cruise last summer and so many people on the boat got sick it seemed except me, people were asking me why I was so (comparatively) healthy... I said I didn't know, but DH told everyone it was because I was getting coughed on and sneezed on and puked on regularly by a bunch of kids every day. (Although thank god I don't actually get puked on regularly...)

Ew.

So on the plus side, when your five-year-old is bringing all those germs home, just think about how strong your immune system will become with time...

Although, ew ew ew for sneezing right in his mouth! Yup, kids are gross.
Same. When I started teaching I got strep throat every winter and everything else that went around, too. Now 15 years later I rarely get sick(knock on wood...hopefully I didn’t just jinx myself!) The only time I’ve gotten sick in recent years was when I was pregnant or had just come back from a maternity leave.

I wish I could like this more than once. Living with a cancer patient, I am keenly aware of germs this season (but I was always fully vaccinated before). I am seeing people on FB say they won't get the vaccine. One friend asked where she could get the flu shot because another friend would not let her see their newborn unless she did. Other friends told her to just lie and say she got the vaccine and that getting the vaccine would be worse because THEN she would be spreading the flu because the virus makes you contagious.
Ugh. I cannot stand the ignorance on vaccines. When I was pregnant with our second child several years ago I was due in the middle of winter. My doctor said anyone in close contact with the baby should have the pertussis and flu vaccines. We asked all the grandparents about it and my parents were fine with it. My MIL was fine with it. My FIL said no because he “didn’t like getting shots. It hurts.” My H told him that was his choice, but he wouldn’t be allowed around the baby. He ended up doing it, but still rolled his eyes when we asked him to wash his hands before holding our newborn🙄

I am not trying to fear-monger with respect to the flu. My point is that most healthy people do not spend significant time worrying about contracting flu, yet are panicking about an illness that, so far, poses a far less significant threat to anyone not actually traveling to Wuhan, China.

I agree with your whole post—and I’m not very worried about contracting coronavirus in this country. But at least with the flu, you can get vaccinated which reduces the chance of getting it and will likely make your illness less severe if you do contract it. I think when a virus is new it’s just really easy to worry that it will become a pandemic and you also feel like you have no control over anything so it’s more scary. But yes, the flu is absolutely more concerning than this new virus. (I was shocked when I read that 80,000 people in the US died from the flu in 2017/18 which was a particularly bad season.)

My step mother and aunt are against vaccines. My step-mother went as far as to tell me not to get the MMR shot (I was tested in the spring and no longer have the antibodies). I am better off not getting it. I still got the shot and will get tested again this spring to make sure I have the antibodies. I was told by the doctor that for some people it doesn't always take. I get so aggravated with both of them about them. I refuse to talk to them about vaccines or illnesses the kids get. The worst is if they ever find out the kids got the gardisil vaccine.

He ended up doing it, but still rolled his eyes when we asked him to wash his hands before holding our newborn🙄

I can so relate! DD was born a month early in winter and we asked anyone who held her to wash their hands first. My BIL thought we were being ridiculous but did it. Flash forward a year to when he has twin babies and he asks us to wash our hands before holding them, lol.

I can so relate! DD was born a month early in winter and we asked anyone who held her to wash their hands first. My BIL thought we were being ridiculous but did it. Flash forward a year to when he has twin babies and he asks us to wash our hands before holding them, lol.
It is amazing to me how many people will touch my baby without asking and certainly without washing their hands. I mean, people will just reach out and grab his hand (his HAND! That he puts in his mouth!) or tickle his face. People just don’t think. A sweet woman who was grandma age reached out and held on to my then 6-month-old’s hand in the Peter Pan line once. At a theme park! I was horrified and really surprised she didn’t know better but what can you do. I was able to keep his hand out of his mouth until we were done riding then use baby hand sanitizer on them. SMH.

I’m at the park now and have seen (so far) three guests with their faces covered, either with a bandana or an actual medical-grade face mask. I’ve also seen or heard mention of sanitizer more than usual today.

Crowds this morning were still unusually heavy - at 7:20, the line stretched more than halfway to DCA. Later I saw that it was 85/90% of the way there. However, as I sit near the hub and sip my tea, crowds are quite reasonable. See Exhibits A and B, below ;-).

AB5EA362-7F22-40E4-AB35-2B6C3350D04B.jpegE0FBBDB0-0E44-4BF1-AD56-74102843C5AC.jpeg

We have always used hand sanitizer, washed hands frequently, and use wipes to wipe off tables. And my granddaughter (now 9) is even more vigilant since she heard the podcast about NoroVirus on Sawbones, and learned the way to get it is the "fecal-oral route", and learned exactly what that meant. It is fun to watch her understanding come around.

And you are more likely to get norovirus at Disneyland than even the flu!

CountryPeople IllDied
23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png
Mainland China​
6,070​
133​
23px-Flag_of_Thailand.svg.png
Thailand​
14​
0​
23px-Flag_of_Hong_Kong.svg.png
Hong Kong​
11​
0​
23px-Flag_of_Singapore.svg.png
Singapore​
10​
0​
23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
Japan​
8​
0​
23px-Flag_of_the_Republic_of_China.svg.png
Taiwan​
8​
0​
23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.svg.png
Australia​
7​
0​
23px-Flag_of_Macau.svg.png
Macau​
7​
0​
23px-Flag_of_Malaysia.svg.png
Malaysia​
7​
0​
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States​
5​
0​
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
France​
5​
0​
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
Germany​
4​
0​
23px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png
South Korea​
4​
0​
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Arab_Emirates.svg.png
United Arab Emirates​
4​
0​
23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
Canada​
3​
0​
23px-Flag_of_Vietnam.svg.png
Vietnam​
2​
0​
23px-Flag_of_Cambodia.svg.png
Cambodia​
1​
0​
23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png
Finland​
1​
0​
16px-Flag_of_Nepal.svg.png
Nepal​
1​
0​
23px-Flag_of_Sri_Lanka.svg.png
Sri Lanka​
1​

I've not been a table wiper before, but think I'll start on our upcoming trip just to be on the safe side.

And speaking of gross, my daughter teaches 3rd grade. She loves to tell me all the phrases she never thought she'd need to say.... "No licking each other" Don't lick the desk/chair/ground... No trying to touch eyeballs. And it goes on. She gets her flu shot annually simply because kids are so gross. Yes on the coughing/sneezing on her and each other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter