'This is a whitewash of justice'

Who did Smollett victimize?

What is your position on prison guards (or other prison employees) who enable those hardened criminals by smuggling, extorting them, or looking the other way when they are terrorized by other inmates?

The rational behind hate crimes is that they don't just victimize a single person, they victimize a community. Attacking somebody, hanging a noose on a tree, spraying racist remarks on a wall, have a tremendous impact on the entire neighborhood. People now believe there is a violent person walking the streets and they now live in fear. They are afraid that they or their family could be the next victim. Additionally, it can impact property values, driving out investors, and leading to a more impovershed community. In the end, Smollett paid two people to rough up and put a noose around a black person's neck. Our society should never allow that - no exceptions.

Corrupt prison guards should be treated just like we treat other criminals. They should be investigated, given a fair trial, and if guilty, punished. There are problems in our prisons. There are also problems in our schools, courthouses, police stations, Washington, DC, sports leagues, churches, and any other place that is made up of imperfect humans. None of that changes the fact that if you knowingly pay two men to assualt a person and then lie to the police and the community about it, there should be ramifications. Smollett tried to stir up racial, homophobic, and political tensions. He should be punished exactly the same as if he attacked somebody else because of their race, sexual preference, or political beliefs.

One thing to think about - imagine if on that night, two innocent white kids had been walking in that neighborhood, one with a MAGA hat on. They very easily could have been picked up, their names released, and their lives significanlty disrupted. Smollett had no way of knowing if innocent people would be impacted by his stunt, but he decided he was willing to take that chance. A chance with other people's lives. Smollett is a coward and a liar, at best.

He just needs to pay for the estimated cost of the investigation because public resources were used to investigate what on it's surface looks like a staged incident. Jail time? No. Pay the City for resources that could have been used to curb any amount of violence in one of the worst cities for in in America for violence, heck yes! He is gonna be tried in the court of public opinion for his actions, what the City needs is money.

Call it unfair because he has money and others cannot just buy their way out but it is what it is. The money can at least go to more police resources.

There is only money on the line at this point because currently there are only civil charges, not criminal ones.

Sadly, this is true.
Because, just for me, based on what we know, IMHO, I would prosecute this as a crime. More specifically, a hate crime. Designed to create fear and hatred.

It seems you have little respect for the solid base our justice system is built upon and the reasons behind them and are taking much of your info. about our prison system from movies and TV. No way do I want to live in a country or a culture that embraces torture. Endorsing his ability to use his money to evade punishment endorses the idea there should be two justice systems, one for the wealthy and one for the poor. I do not care for that idea in the least and I think that blindfold should remain securely in place when it comes to our Lady Justice.

The American prison system has many different security levels to serve the variety of needs. Prison rape is not the rampant epidemic TV and movies make people believe. A prisoner with a high profile would be pre emptively assigned to an appropriate unit to ensure their safety.

I should have spoken less rashly, earlier; I don't believe in state-approved torture. My reference to torture was in response to the people upthread who seemed to be justifying knowingly placing a public figure in a dangerous situation.

Prison rape is a problem; just because you don't personally know people who've endured it doesn't mean it is. What recourse do inmates have when it happens to them? None. How many of them do you think actually report it? Very few.

Again, the punishment should fit the crime. Celebrity or otherwise.

I should have spoken less rashly, earlier; I don't believe in state-approved torture. My reference to torture was in response to the people upthread who seemed to be justifying knowingly placing a public figure in a dangerous situation.

Prison rape is a problem; just because you don't personally know people who've endured it doesn't mean it is. What recourse do inmates have when it happens to them? None. How many of them do you think actually report it? Very few.

Again, the punishment should fit the crime. Celebrity or otherwise.

I agree the punishment should fit the crime, irregardless of the perpetrator.

It's actually not at all unusual for me to encounter and speak with several individuals weekly who are, were or are headed back into the correctional system. If you think felons are even a little bit shy about sharing their feelings about the shortcomings and the failings of the system you would be wrong. The increased access electronic media has provided to law libraries and online networks of people sharing information and advice has changed the incarceration experience much more than movies and TV would lead you to believe.

This is why political correctness has run amuck.

The police should give celebrities the same time/energy level that they'd give to anyone else, in terms of investigations. And they should be praised for treating those reporters-of-crime just like anybody else.

Again, political correctness is destroying us. How about common sense, for a change?

These cases are focused on because it's what gets Mayors and local/state representatives re-elected. They can show the media that they're tough on crime and solving cases. It's been like this forever, has nothing to do with political correctness.

These cases are focused on because it's what gets Mayors and local/state representatives re-elected. They can show the media that they're tough on crime and solving cases. It's been like this forever, has nothing to do with political correctness.

If a celebrity belongs to a marginalized group, that contributes to it...along with the factor of political opportunism that you pointed out.

I agree the punishment should fit the crime, irregardless of the perpetrator.

It's actually not at all unusual for me to encounter and speak with several individuals weekly who are, were or are headed back into the correctional system. If you think felons are even a little bit shy about sharing their feelings about the shortcomings and the failings of the system you would be wrong. The increased access electronic media has provided to law libraries and online networks of people sharing information and advice has changed the incarceration experience much more than movies and TV would lead you to believe.

Great...then I expect we will see an increase in reporting by inmates of abuses while in the correctional system.

So will those who are running the facilities do anything about it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter