'This is a whitewash of justice'

No, it's both.

The comedians need to be boycotted for using "humor" to shame Smollett at the expense of sexually-exploited people, and whichever judge sentences him needs to be called out and shamed if he/she doles out a punishment to Smollett that doesn't fit the crime.

Hmm, that isn't what you said in your pp

I also find it disturbing how so many people here (and elsewhere) are so tolerant of a badly-run prison system.

Hmm, that isn't what you said in your pp

Well I should have clarified my sentiments better, earlier.

I think Smollett needs to be punished. Knowingly throwing him into a dangerous situation isn't an apt punishment, however. It's Spartacus-style "neanderthal justice." :mad:

Well I should have clarified my sentiments better, earlier.

I think Smollett needs to be punished. Knowingly throwing him into a dangerous situation isn't an apt punishment, however. It's Spartacus-style "neanderthal justice." :mad:

That is your opinion, I'm more of a of if you can't do the time then don't do the crime type person.
If you commit 16 felonies you deserve prison time. You put yourself in there, nobody else.

That is your opinion, I'm more of a of if you can't do the time then don't do the crime type person.
If you commit 16 felonies you deserve prison time. You put yourself in there, nobody else.

They charged him with 16 different felonies because he's a high-profile public figure and they're trying to make an example out of him. Similar to what happened to Martha Stewart.

Celebrities shouldn't get off scott-free; but they also shouldn't be intentionally placed into scenarios where they will undeniably be in a disproportionately-higher amount of danger than people who aren't public figures.

They charged him with 16 different felonies because he's a high-profile public figure and they're trying to make an example out of him. Similar to what happened to Martha Stewart.

Celebrities shouldn't get off scott-free; but they also shouldn't be intentionally placed into scenarios where they will undeniably be in a disproportionately-higher amount of danger than people who aren't public figures.

You are entitled to feel that way, I just disagree. As far as I'm concerned Jussie Smollet deserves to sit in jail for what he did.

You are entitled to feel that way, I just disagree. As far as I'm concerned Jussie Smollet deserves to sit in jail for what he did.

If they put him in solitary confinement (or institutionalized him), I'd be fine with that.

Unfortunately, I'm not confident that's what a judge will decide to do. I fear that whichever judge ultimately oversees the future court proceedings will put Smollett's safety at risk in order to "make a point." Disgusting.

And anybody who approves of that is disgusting, as well. :worried:

If they put him in solitary confinement (or institutionalized him), I'd be fine with that.

Unfortunately, I'm not confident that's what a judge will decide to do. I fear that whichever judge ultimately oversees the future court proceedings will put Smollett's safety at risk in order to "make a point." Disgusting.

And anybody who approves of that is disgusting, as well. :worried:

I'm sensing you have deeper issues with our justice system, so I think I'll just bow out of the discussion.

I'm sensing you have deeper issues with our justice system, so I think I'll just bow out of the discussion.

Um, no...it's all interlinked. The failings of our criminal justice system are tied to our society's greater tolerance of sexual assault/abuse.

But your passive-aggressive "concern"-trolling is noted. :crazy:

i think the most analogous case was not Martha, but Ryan Locte.... remember our champion USA swimmer who decided to make a false claim of being attacked at the last Olympics in Rio. All charges against him were dropped and he was not punished in any form.

Martha got prison time. She was punished very hard.

It is always interesting, and incredibly ridiculous, when people try to use one issue to justify and absolve a totally different issue.
Almost sad, really.
If two (white) thugs had actually done what was being alleged here, would people still be so quick to 'let them off'.
I do not believe that for one tiny millisecond.

Smollett committed a hate crime.
He should be behind bars, as anyone else who commits a hate crime should be.
And, nothing else should factor in.

Not even his mental health....
Somebody mentioned some kind of psychological issues or something.
What?????
He doesn't have any real psychological, developmental, issues.
He is a person who is filled with Narcissism and HATRED.
It is what it is.

And, yet instead of being held accountable, he is being let off in a clear miscarriage of justice. And, now he will be celebrated and applauded. It is one warped alternate universe out there.

Prison is dangerous for anyone. Gay/straight, white/black, quiet/loud... It’s unfortunate but it is what it is.

That's a testament to how the prison system in general needs to be reformed.

Nonviolent offenders shouldn't be placed in prisons alongside of people who've committed violent crimes.

But stick a celebrity in there, and you're just deliberately asking for trouble.

It is always interesting, and incredibly ridiculous, when people try to use one issue to justify and absolve a totally different issue.
Almost sad, really.
If two (white) thugs had actually done what was being alleged here, would people still be so quick to 'let them off'.
I do not believe that for one tiny millisecond.

Smollett committed a hate crime.
He should be behind bars, as anyone else who commits a hate crime should be.
And, nothing else should factor in.

Not even his mental health....
Somebody mentioned some kind of psychological issues or something.
What?????
He doesn't have any real psychological, developmental, issues.
He is a person who is filled with Narcissism and HATRED.
It is what it is.

And, yet instead of being held accountable, he is being let off in a clear miscarriage of justice. And, now he will be celebrated and applauded. It is one warped alternate universe out there.

No one is "justifying" what Smollett did.

I'm saying the punishment wouldn't fit the crime, if several of you get your way in what you are proposing. Sending somebody to be, in all likelihood, beaten up and raped when they have a public profile is akin to torture.

I believe in torture for ACTUAL rapists, murderers, arsonists...but NOT for people who commit fraud. And even then, it shouldn't be state-sanctioned (letting one person commit a crime at the expense of another criminal, to exact "justice"). Their punishment should be of a lower bar than that.

Not all crimes are created equal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter