• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

So when I changed my graph to HRSS and updated my info, it said I haven’t hit overtraining or even close over the last 12 mo compared to several times using TRIMP. In fact it seems to think I can train a lot harder than what I have been training(at least from a HR perspective), especially compared to TRIMP. I realize this doesn’t account for muscle development, and so I’d argue I’m probably not ready to max out my training just yet... but I’m surprised to see such a drastic difference.

So when I changed my graph to HRSS and updated my info, it said I haven’t hit overtraining or even close over the last 12 mo compared to several times using TRIMP. In fact it seems to think I can train a lot harder than what I have been training(at least from a HR perspective), especially compared to TRIMP. I realize this doesn’t account for muscle development, and so I’d argue I’m probably not ready to max out my training just yet... but I’m surprised to see such a drastic difference.

Doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong. It could mean the inputted data is wrong though. For the output to be correct, you have to be fairly certain the input (max HR, rest HR, and LTHR) are correct. Regardless, I definitely think we're still trying to find that right balance for you. And I think after a few plans we're getting closer to the right sequence for you. We already know your short track speed is far superior to your endurance. But over the years, the endurance has improved to a point where you're starting to realize some of those gains.

Thanks for the outpouring of appreciation! I truly appreciate it. I've had several conversations with my wife about training plans and coaching. She supports my continued growth in this area. The possibility of becoming certified as a true coach (RRCA or USATF), starting a website, writing something, trying to reach out to locals are things I've considered to grow this. I feel as if the things I've done to date have shown to me that I can be adaptable and make custom training plans for a wide variety of users. But like lots of great things, when other people find it, then other people also find it. I hate turning people down asking for help. I want to help. I continue to offer help even when someone doesn't directly ask me for it. Because I know the pure joy and elation that a well crushed PR can feel like. And like all runners, I yearn for that next moment. I know the hard work and dedication that goes into training. I know what it's like to finally have things click and suddenly things seem so different. I want to continue to share all of that. To date, I've only turned one person down and it was only because the timeframe on their plan was so short it didn't make sense for either of us. But as the number of people I coach has swelled, so has the time it takes to help everyone. So to continue doing this, I've got to figure out a way to justify the time spent on this to my family. My family has had this conversation several times, and I continue to put it off because I didn't want to come to what is for me a very tough choice. Either I stop writing training plans and coaching or I ask for compensation for my services. I've never felt justified asking for compensation. I'm not classically trained. I have no professional experience. I do this as a hobby helping out other like minded runners. So, I feel as if I shouldn't set a standard for compensation.

"My charge for my services is what you believe is the fair market value of a custom training plan with unlimited contact with the hobby unaccredited coach who wrote the plan who generally responds in less than 24 hours."

I'll leave it at that. You give me whatever you think is fair for what you believe are the services I provide. If that means $1, then I will gladly accept it. As I continue to grow as a coach, I hope that I'll be able to offer better services and in turn continue to meet the goals of the users that have set before me. And I hope this doesn't discourage anyone from continuing with or asking for my coaching. I haven't figured out any details yet, and I'm certainly open to suggestions/discussion. I hope you can respect what has been a very difficult personal decision.

You already know where I stand on this, because we've talked about it in the past (after my first HM). Your time and thoughts are valuable, and the work you put in to my plans has fundamentally changed how I run and, to some extent, why I run. When you are willing to accept something in return for that, you have two willing customers in me and @MoanasPapa.

Thanks for the outpouring of appreciation! I truly appreciate it. I've had several conversations with my wife about training plans and coaching. She supports my continued growth in this area. The possibility of becoming certified as a true coach (RRCA or USATF), starting a website, writing something, trying to reach out to locals are things I've considered to grow this. I feel as if the things I've done to date have shown to me that I can be adaptable and make custom training plans for a wide variety of users. But like lots of great things, when other people find it, then other people also find it. I hate turning people down asking for help. I want to help. I continue to offer help even when someone doesn't directly ask me for it. Because I know the pure joy and elation that a well crushed PR can feel like. And like all runners, I yearn for that next moment. I know the hard work and dedication that goes into training. I know what it's like to finally have things click and suddenly things seem so different. I want to continue to share all of that. To date, I've only turned one person down and it was only because the timeframe on their plan was so short it didn't make sense for either of us. But as the number of people I coach has swelled, so has the time it takes to help everyone. So to continue doing this, I've got to figure out a way to justify the time spent on this to my family. My family has had this conversation several times, and I continue to put it off because I didn't want to come to what is for me a very tough choice. Either I stop writing training plans and coaching or I ask for compensation for my services. I've never felt justified asking for compensation. I'm not classically trained. I have no professional experience. I do this as a hobby helping out other like minded runners. So, I feel as if I shouldn't set a standard for compensation.

"My charge for my services is what you believe is the fair market value of a custom training plan with unlimited contact with the hobby unaccredited coach who wrote the plan who generally responds in less than 24 hours."

I'll leave it at that. You give me whatever you think is fair for what you believe are the services I provide. If that means $1, then I will gladly accept it. As I continue to grow as a coach, I hope that I'll be able to offer better services and in turn continue to meet the goals of the users that have set before me. And I hope this doesn't discourage anyone from continuing with or asking for my coaching. I haven't figured out any details yet, and I'm certainly open to suggestions/discussion. I hope you can respect what has been a very difficult personal decision.

I'm catching up on the thread about this, but this is something I've been thinking about during my runs (on your plan, ha ha). I certainly appreciate the effort you put into the plans and interaction with the runners using the plan. I have felt kind of bad about taking advantage of your time and expertise. I know you get enjoyment out of making the plans and so on, but at some point I'm sure it is or could become burdensome.

I know I would be happy to pay/donate some amount per plan...for me personally, if I ask you for ~3 plans per year, it's still cost-effective for me. And I would feel better about the time I know that you have to spend.

I'm one of those A races this weekend and really looking forward to it.

Billy, I'm absolutely happy to pay for your plan. It makes life much easier for me and I enjoy not having to think about what I'm supposed to run, when and at what pace.

I have not hit you up for a plan, maybe when I am more serious about racing and actually have one picked out. However, I was always amazed that you helped all these people for free. I can imagine the time it takes. And I'm sure it is fulfilling to see people succeed, but you should be compensated for your time. You are obviously very good at what you do and I am sure people would be willing to pay for the guidance and encouragement you offer. I know I would.

I'm in! I'm excited to see you take the next step into professional coaching. Accredited or not, your passion and knowledge set you apart and I have no doubt that you will be very successful! And the coach needs a new treadmill! :teeth:

Add me to the list of those willing to pay. I will admit that I don't have a blessed clue what fair market value is, but I've learned so much from you already and I really appreciate it.

You are definitely one of the most welcoming and encouraging DISers that I've come across as a relative newbie to the rD boards. Your willingness to help and offer insight is greatly appreciated and admirable! :worship:

I've never felt justified asking for compensation.

The testimonials speak for themselves! You most certainly should be compensated for all your time regardless of whether you're "official" yet or not. :hippie:

:-D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter