Today’s installment of People Are Strange

We have our regular spots that we sit in because we have reasons to always sit there. If there are people close by that don't like it, well, I don't like being close to other people either but sorry I'm still sitting in my favourite spot. People are free to move if it bothers them so much. Or they could just ignore other patrons and focus on the movie.

I like that the theater near us upgraded to lounge seats that fully recline. The space between the rows is so huge that no matter who sits in front of or behind you you are miles away.

Funny you should say that. A local theater here (not a chain) also recently installed the recliner seats. Plenty of room between rows to recline, however the problem is that the seats have high backs and the floor is not slanted enough.

So if you recline but the people in the row in front of you do not (or the seats are empty), the upright seat backs block your view, cutting off the bottom of the screen. It’s pretty annoying. Last time I was there, no one sat in front of us, and I actually got up and moved the empty seats into the fully reclined position so I could see the whole screen.

When I go to the movies with my husband we always leave a seat between us. He’s 6’7 and he spills into my seat if we sit together. When I go to the movies with my dad we sit in different rows because we both like the aisle seat. We’re usually one behind the other and don’t talk until the movie is over.
How do you share/fight over your snacks? :teeth:

Impish me. I would take my trusty air horn and give them a blast:jester:

or

Just before going to the movie eat five cans of beans. Worked for my uncle. He didn't beans. He had stomach problem, so I'm told, that caused gas. He sat in the center and it wasn't long that a man was sitting in the center with a lot of empty seats around him. Got a blast out of that story.

Last edited:
I've had this happen to me before. Entire theater was almost totally empty. Just a few people total other than me. And what happens? A man and woman came in and of ALL of the dozens and dozens of empty seats, even entire empty ROWS, they sat down literally right next to me in my same row.

RIGHT NEXT TO ME!

What the heck?

So when the previews started, I got up and went 2 seats over. The woman woke up out of her reverie and said, "Oh, sorry!" I said to her, "That's ok. It's just weird, you know. The entire theater is empty and you could have sat anywhere. So no offense but I don't want to sit next to you." :rotfl2:

Most people are sheep and comfortable amongst others (even strangers) it’s why I know people are lying when they say they hate traffic....No you don’t you seek comfort in being surrounded by people going nowhere

What?? This makes no sense.

It wouldn't have bothered me if they were quiet. So rude. I like to sit on the top row because I'm tall and don't want to block anyone's view.

How do you share/fight over your snacks? :teeth:

That was the final piece of the puzzle. DD said the couple brought in 1 drink to share, while sitting with an empty seat between them LOL.

Oh, and when the movie was over, they left the drink in the cupholder. DD threw it away.

I don’t agree with the traffic analogy but I do agree with the rest. It’s “herd mentality.” People go where others are naturally. It’s why it seems like everyone at the grocery store is checking out at the same time or when you park out in the middle of nowhere and there are spaces all around, you go back out and someone has parked right next to you.
Imagine that and here I always thought that I went to the check out when I was done shopping. Good to know! ;)

Imagine that and here I always thought that I went to the check out when I was done shopping. Good to know! ;)
You just think you are done. ;) Seriously, it’s a real thing. People don’t even realize they’re doing it.

What?? This makes no sense.
It does, but I made the mistake of making an anolgy I can’t really explain in brevity. I just witnessed another example yesterday, a turn light wasn’t working (skipped the cycle 3 times) yesterday and the driver in front (with no cross traffic) was just sitting there with no clue what to do, traffic backed up at the light and I rolled down my window anf politely told him he needed to (safely) run the light. That driver had a herd mentality, he had no clue what to do because he wasn’t following the pack

It does, but I made the mistake of making an anolgy I can’t really explain in brevity. I just witnessed another example yesterday, a turn light wasn’t working (skipped the cycle 3 times) yesterday and the driver in front (with no cross traffic) was just sitting there with no clue what to do, traffic backed up at the light and I rolled down my window anf politely told him he needed to (safely) run the light. That driver had a herd mentality, he had no clue what to do because he wasn’t following the pack
If it were me it wouldn't have anything to do with herd mentality but rather not wanting to break the law by turning when I didn't have green or a yellow arrow.

I would however have waited out the 2 cycles and then on the 3rd I would have gone when traffic was clear. If I had been pulled over I at least would have been able to explain it but I wasn't going to just jump the gun so to speak and turn without giving enough time. I've had it before where the light didn't turn for me to turn 2 cycles but then the third cycle it was worked as it was supposed to. Or it didn't work for the 1st cycle like it was supposed to but on the second it did.

You just think you are done. ;) Seriously, it’s a real thing. People don’t even realize they’re doing it.
In that case I am also a genius. I managed to make a shopping list that was able to complete at the same time as when the herd wandered up to the cashiers. It's almost rain-man like. I wonder if it is possible to market that gift. :scratchin:thumbsup2

In that case I am also a genius. I managed to make a shopping list that was able to complete at the same time as when the herd wandered up to the cashiers. It's almost rain-man like. I wonder if it is possible to market that gift. :scratchin:thumbsup2
You are most likely one of the 5% everyone follows. I’m not saying you don’t know when you’re done, I’m saying it’s not coincidental that it seems like the whole store is checking out all at once. It’s because they are. It’s a subconscious thing, people don’t even know they’re doing it. You may or may not be one that does but most people do.

The woman woke up out of her reverie and said, "Oh, sorry!" I said to her, "That's ok. It's just weird, you know. The entire theater is empty and you could have sat anywhere. So no offense but I don't want to sit next to you." :rotfl2:

Get out, did you really say that:rotfl:

How is that herd mentality? The guy didn't want risk a ticket or an accident. I get the cross traffic was empty, but unless you're a police officer in uniform instructing me that it's ok, I'm not crossing that red, I'll change lanes and go straight, although probably illegal too, and find my way around. Guess who's responsible for the ticket/accident if another car "shows up, out of no where," hint, it's not you. I'm sure the officer would understand, but good luck to one having a bad day, here's your citation, have fun in court.

DD17 went to the movies yesterday with 2 friends. Theatre was empty when they went in, so they sat pretty much right in the center - DD in the middle of her two much taller friends (her 5’4”, her friends 5’10” and 6’4”).

Just before the movie started, a couple came in, making a total of 5 people in a theatre with 100+ seats. They sit directly behind DD’s friends with an empty seat between them, and then talked through the entire film.

I don't find that strange at all, your daughter and friends are perfectly smack dab in the middle. That's where I want to be too, not too far back and not too close. And if there is space sure, why not, I'll take both arm rests please. The chit chat through the whole movie, unacceptable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter