Tony Toon does DDP

Tuesday 17th July

After our unsuccessful attempt at catching some rays yesterday afternoon we revisit Turtle Shack Pool to read and relax. This is a lovely quiet spot with plenty of loungers and umbrellas. The pool is lovely and you can use your mugs (and CS &QS credits if you're happy with a restricted choice) here between 11 and 5. The morning starts well but gradually the clouds start to appear and we go back to the room and change just before the rain starts. The heavy rain prompts us to revisit Mara for another flatbread and zebra domes augmented this time by Butternut Squash soup - a little sweet for my palate but right up Ton'ys street(who of course polishes off both cups :rotfl:) (Tony's edit - IMO this soup tasted so much like custard I would have happily poured it over an apple pie. In fact I have had custard less sweet)

DSCN3098.jpg

Tony declares he is pretty tired on our drive back from AKL so I pack while he catches some zzzzs.

The rain has now dried up and we drive to the Beach Club and park (had to show our room key to security to gain entry) and wander along to check in for our ADR. So far we've been shown to seats within minutes of arriving at all our ADRs whether we've been early, late or on time. Not tonight. Our ADR was for 8.10, we checked in at 8 and were eventually called at 8.40. They were very busy.:scared1:

Our lengthy wait was soon forgotten with the fantastic food we were served. A selection of breads were presented.

DSCN3099.jpg

DSCN3100.jpg

Tony took up the gauntlet thrown down by DS who had eaten the 28oz Porterhouse with garlic butter and smoked paprika fries last year. Herbed fries this year!

DSCN3102.jpg

He was successful in polishing off the steak but had to leave a few fries. I chose the 12oz New York Strip Steak with peppercorn sauce and potato gratin and we shared a serving of creamed spinach.

DSCN3101.jpg

Neither of us could resist the creme brûlée with georgia peach compote and brandy snap tuile.

DSCN3103.jpg

We had coffee and were also given some lemon madeleines with our check. They melted in our mouths.

DSCN3105.jpg

An excellent use of our final TS credits. Only 4 CS and 7 snacks to use tomorrow.

Mrs TT

Wednesday 18th July.

Our final day on DDP (but don't feel too sorry for us - till 2 weeks left in a villa :cool1:). Tony phones and asks if we can have a late check out as we don't gain access to our villa until 4pm. Unfortunately housekeeping say the resort is full and so we have to leave our room by 11am. The final packing completed, cases in the car (surprise, surprise Alamo lady, they all fit in the boot :thumbsup2) and we use 2 of our CS on the breakfast platter at Goods. No pictures (sorry) but the freshly cooked scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes and biscuit are delicious. More reading and relaxing by the main pool, a fruit cup (for me) and a key lime pie (for Tony) uses another 2 snacks and before we know it, it's time leave to move in to our villa. The villa is rather large for the two of us (4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms :lmao:) but we enjoy having the privacy and a pool right outside the door.

Back to MK for salmon and apple crisp at Columbia Harbour House (photos earlier in our thread) and the final 5 snack credits go in Main Street Bakery. 2 coffees, carrot cake (for me) and chocolate croissant and a Cinnamon Roll for Tony. Can't find the photos at the moment (think they might be on my phone ) - will add them later.

Sorry kids - Dad wasn't happy to let me spend them in Goofy's Candy Company:rotfl2:

Mrs TT

We tried the breakfast platter one day but it wasn't to my taste.

Shame that your DDP days have come to an end, though looking forward to a further 2 weeks of updates :)

The Wave is one of our must dos next trip, not done it yet!
Yachtsmans is our favourite restaurant, along side Californian Grill
Looking forward to the review:thumbsup2

Yup us too... so upset it's down for refurb on our next trip :(

Mrs TT - TT orders exactly what Cinderfella does... scrummy oh and those onion rolls at The Yachtsman we had made and served at our wedding reception at Ariel's back in 2004 because we loved them so!

I cannot wait to start reading your Villa report and where you will eat then!

we're in that minority with you Wayne - we were never more disappointed than at CG - every aspect of it - the food, the noise, the snooty pretentious waiter, etc.

the sundae and pie look scrumptious!!!!!! :goodvibes

Sorry - am very late in catching up on this thread.

Have to agree about CG.

We went a few years ago - not on DDP - and were so disappointed.

Found it really noisy and not the least bit a relaxing romantic experience.

Loving this thread and all the food pics :)

5 weeks then I get 18 nights of DDP :cool1:

Im drooling just thinking about it :rotfl2:

Enjoy the rest of your holiday :)

Sarah x

Mmm, wonderful updates
The porterhouse at YSH looks HUGE!!!!!
Oh and I am also a fan of those onion rolls :goodvibes

Sorry - am very late in catching up on this thread.

Have to agree about CG.

We went a few years ago - not on DDP - and were so disappointed.

Found it really noisy and not the least bit a relaxing romantic experience.

Oh yeah as much as I love it here I have to agree it's very very noisy...if the Wine Room doesn't have an event on in there you can request that - the downside is that it doesn't have a MK view but you can see Illuminations in the distance. This room is actually like a haven as it's very quiet in there and they do tend to put smaller groups in there - we've had some lovely meals in there away from the hustle and bustle.

Just a tip for anyone that wants to try and have a little bit of a quieter meal...I also find any of the window seats just a little less noisy.

Thursday 19th July

Our first day in the villa and we decide that after our hectic 2 weeks running around we'll take things a little easier for a couple of days - let poor old Tony's knees recover a wee bit from all the walking :thumbsup2. We'd had a quick trip to SuperTarget at Rolling Oaks for some emergency supplies yesterday evening (milk, OJ, snacks and water) so after some breakfast we spend the morning out by the pool. After a light lunch at the villa we drive to Walmart on Highway 27 to stock up with basics and also to see if they have a Kindle. I love to read and they are much cheaper over here. No joy again (asked at the other Walmarts and SuperTarget's we've been in) - only the Kindle Fire which seems to be easily available.

I've had an email from Carrabba's outlining their summer offer of three courses for $15 each so we stop off at Formosa Gardens to sample the menu. Looks like it could be good value. You can choose from a appetiser or a dessert - we chose the appetisers, mine being the bacon and caramelised onion flat bread while Tony opted for the one with spinach and goat's cheese. This came with the usual bread served with olive oil and the special blend of herbs they have at Carrabba's - a particular favourite of ours. :)

DSCN3109.jpg

DSCN3108.jpg

Next course saw us both opting for Mama Mandola's Spicy Sicilian Chicken Soup.

DSCN3110.jpg

Entrees next: Hazelnut crusted tilapia with roma tomatoes, lemon butter sauce and mash for Tony.

DSCN3112.jpg

Chicken picatta with zucchini for me.

DSCN3111.jpg

...... and we're stuffed again. No room for dessert! Total bill $32.10 plus tip.

Mrs TT

Friday 20th July

Another quiet day planned with most of it to be spent by the pool - although we should really be doing several circuits of the World Showcase to try and walk off the excess baggage we have both accumulated so far! :rotfl: Breakfast and lunch are kept light from supplies purchased at Walmart and we decide to continue the theme at Sweet Tomatoes on Rolling Oaks for dinner. As wayneg has already posted there seems to be a shift in their BOGOF policy this year. Previously we have received weekly mailing with lots of vouchers, this far mailings are a lot less frequent and the BOGOFs appear to have gone. I do however have a coupon offering dinner (including drinks) for 2 for $18.99. Great if you are dining in even number but add a wee spare along the way and you have to add $10.19 plus another £2.89 for drinks. Our receipt gives a voucher offering dinner and drinks for 2 for $16.99 at the beginning of next week. We enjoy a somewhat healthier dinner (well some of it is) for a change for the princely sum of £20.33 exc tip. A small selection of pics below.

DSCN3113.jpg

DSCN3115.jpg

DSCN3118.jpg

DSCN3120.jpg

I can't believe that we've been her for over two weeks and have still to catch Fantasmic - one of our absolute favourites - so our destination after dinner is HS. We are a little too late to catch the 9pm show so pass the time at a very quiet Star Tours until we're ready join the queue for the later performance. There are plenty of seats and we sit in an excellent vantage point near in the centre and risk the fact we are seated beside several Brazilian tour parties. :scared1: Tony has already posted on Matt's 18th birthday thread, but the show is fantastic and the teenagers a credit to themselves. :thumbsup2 Hankies out and we pick up the car and are home in record time.

Mrs TT

Sat 21st July

After a quick breakfast in the villa (unlike Wayne I can't function without something in my tum) we have decided to travel the short distance from the Formosa Gardens area along Sherberth Road to Animal Kingdom, approximately 8 minutes away. After Liz gets a FP for the Safari we make a beeline for Dinosaur - a walk on shortly after 10am. Safari was enhanced by a detailed commentary and very steady circuit by the driver, and happily many of the animals were up and moving, including the male lion who is usually sleeping on a rock if he is seen at all.:) Also far more Elephants and Giraffes than we normally get to see. We hadn't done the Maharajah Jungle Trek in Asia for a few visits so that was on the agenda this time - interesting how much bigger the Tiger seems compared to the Lion we had seen just a few minutes earlier. After investigating and dismissing Kusafiri (sp) Bakery - nothing we fancied there really - we trotted into Nemo the Musical, another show we can't miss. We are both musicians and have always enjoyed Disney's live music in all its various forms. There are so many very talented performers around the parks. Afterwards we head back to the villa for a self catering lunch and to catch some rays by the pool. We decide that this evenings meal will be a first for us - Miller's Alehouse (as recommended by Wayneg :worship:)by Rolling Oaks on the 192. This meal came as a very pleasant surprise - extremely tasty and great value.

I had the Seafood Mac & Cheese - brilliant.
DSCN3121.jpg

... oh, exercising the tennis elbow once again with a brown ale a little closer to my NE roots.

Seafood mac and cheese and garlic bread ....
DSCN3123.jpg

Liz enjoyed Cajun chicken pasta .....
DSCN3122.jpg

My sweet tooth got the better of me and I couldn't resist Cap'n Jacks nutty brother ... heaven for someone with my tastebuds despite its size ..
DSCN3125.jpg

Liz doesn't care for chocolate desserts or peanut butter so I was left to cope with this all by myself :confused3 what's a guy to do?? Our delightful server was suitably impressed. :cool2: total cost $36.26

A short drive home and a glass or two of wine and bed ..... to dream of giant choc portions .....

MR TT

Karen is amazed you ate all the dessert alone. We usually get the original, Capt Jacks and share between 3 of us.:rotfl:

Karen is amazed you ate all the dessert alone. We usually get the original, Capt Jacks and share between 3 of us.:rotfl:

:rotfl: You ain't seen nothing yet, don't underestimate my dad's (Mr TT's) love of all things good and chocolatey!

One year after a meal at the Rainforest Cafe he opted for the Peanut Butter Cheesecake while my cousins opted to share a Volcano as did my brother and I. Now both my cousin's and my bro's and my eyes were obviously too big for our belly as we couldn't even finish one slice of each of the brownie part of the Volcano's....no problem, step in Mr TT who not only polished off his HUGE slab of Peanut Butter Cheesecake but also managed my cousins Volcano (2 slabs of brownie and icecream) PLUS my brother and my Volcano (another 2 slab's of brownie and icecream) :lmao:

:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter