Trans couple too afraid to go to Florida - how accepting is Disneyland?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're in Delaware so WDW is significantly closer to us, but we're both way too afraid to set foot in Florida. My wife brought up the idea of going to Disneyland in California. How accepting are they? I just assume we'd be safer there than in Florida.
I’m no expert on Florida in general, but I would have to agree with your assessment. You’d certainly be safe in the WDW bubble however, the visitor make-up is an unknown quantity from day to day. DLR is primarily So. Cal locals comprised of a very diverse mix of folks.

We're in Delaware so WDW is significantly closer to us, but we're both way too afraid to set foot in Florida. My wife brought up the idea of going to Disneyland in California. How accepting are they? I just assume we'd be safer there than in Florida.

Coastal Southern CA is VERY LGBTQ+ friendly, overall. Disneyland is a VERY safe place for you to visit. I understand your hesitation to travel to FL right now. You have nothing to worry about if you decide to come to Disneyland. In general, the vibe over here (I am local to DL) is "anything goes" and people just live and let live. You will feel welcomed. DL locals are a friendly, accepting bunch.

Floridians are generally law abiding people and millions of people visit WDW from EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD so if WDW is where you want to go, just go.

Your concern is totally legitimate. I’m gay and, as others have said, feel 100% safe at WDW and think you would too. Disney will not tolerate hate or abuse. My partner and I held hands all over property on our last WDW trip around New Year’s. I think DL is the same; I don’t live in Orange County, CA, which is historically very conservative but changing. Others would have to give input on Orange County, CA off Disney property.

Now, some caveats. First, my college-age adult son brought a non-binary friend on our last WDW trip, and they reported one incident of rudeness—basically a stink-eye situation. They didn’t seem terribly troubled by it but it made me sad and angry. You could definitely have an experience like that, and it’s more likely in Florida than California, but I wouldn’t let the turkeys get you down and keep you away from WDW.

Second, on a solo trip to WDW in Spring 2021 immediately after I was vaccinated, on my first night I stayed overnight at a mainstream downtown Orlando hotel. I was very uncomfortable there because, contrary to the ethos in California at that time, there was a very strong anti-mask vibe going on. I couldn’t believe the mobs of unmasked people at the bar, etc., and it was clearly a political statement for them. I kept my mask on but could feel the antipathy. This had nothing to do with being gay but everything about the overall environment. As soon as I was on Disney property, I felt 100% safe and comfortable. At that time, Disney was strictly—and I mean strictly—enforcing a masking requirement.

Your concerns are legitimate. WDW property is safe, but you’ll still have to navigate the area a bit. Traveling in Florida is a risk. We look at how likely is it that we’d need emergency medical care as the main problem that we can’t plan for.

Disneyland is amazing and CA is friendly. Sometimes it’s okay to choose the path of least resistance.

This whole post breaks my heart. No one should have to live in fear and question going on vacation because of who they are. I’m sorry this is your reality.
I think you will be ok at WDW and inside the bubble, but I’m not sure about the rest of Florida. Look at who is running the state. DL and California are definitely the safer option.

We look at how likely is it that we’d need emergency medical care as the main problem that we can’t plan for.

Yes, this is an issue. When same sex marriage was recognized nationally, my late husband said gleefully that we were married “even at Disney,” meaning WDW. He was not the big Disney fan I am but he still took pride in this, and Disney trips were a significant part of our family life with our son. It gave us piece of mind to know that we had the legal protections of marriage everywhere in the country.

Now in my new life I have an unmarried partner, and it’s too soon to consider marriage. I do worry a bit about a major medical issue while in Florida. We are sufficiently committed that we should probably set up the paperwork to help with that. Perhaps I’m naive, but I’m not overly concerned about the Orlando area hospitals being a problem except to the extent some state law compels them to do something unreasonable. Thoughts on this welcome. I can’t believe this whole discussion is even necessary. Sad.

Last edited:
Yes, this is an issue. When same sex marriage was recognized nationally, my late husband said gleefully that we were married “even at Disney,” meaning WDW. He was not the big Disney fan I am but he still took pride in this, and Disney trips were a significant part of our family life with our son. It gave us piece of mind to know that we had the legal protections of marriage everywhere in the country.

Now in my new life I have an unmarried partner, and it’s too soon to consider marriage. I do worry a bit about a major medical issue while in Florida. We are sufficiently committed that we should probably set up the paperwork to help with that. Perhaps I’m naive, but I’m not overly concerned about the Orlando area hospitals being a problem except to the extent some state law compels them to do something unreasonable. Thoughts on this welcome. I can’t believe this whole discussion is even necessary. Sad.
Not to pull this too far away from an adult trans couple, but this group also has many parents of trans kids. FL is one of many states seeking to remove children from parents. Their bill also targets adults by not allowing public hospitals to provide trans affirming care. The Orlando area hospitals are less likely to jump on using this in harmful ways (IMHO) when treating a trans person in an emergency, but all it takes is one bigot on the team.

I hate that this is now part of my trip planning. 😢

Your concern is totally legitimate. I’m gay and, as others have said, feel 100% safe at WDW and think you would too. Disney will not tolerate hate or abuse. My partner and I held hands all over property on our last WDW trip around New Year’s. I think DL is the same; I don’t live in Orange County, CA, which is historically very conservative but changing. Others would have to give input on Orange County, CA off Disney property.

Now, some caveats. First, my college-age adult son brought a non-binary friend on our last WDW trip, and they reported one incident of rudeness—basically a stink-eye situation. They didn’t seem terribly troubled by it but it made me sad and angry. You could definitely have an experience like that, and it’s more likely in Florida than California, but I wouldn’t let the turkeys get you down and keep you away from WDW.

Second, on a solo trip to WDW in Spring 2021 immediately after I was vaccinated, on my first night I stayed overnight at a mainstream downtown Orlando hotel. I was very uncomfortable there because, contrary to the ethos in California at that time, there was a very strong anti-mask vibe going on. I couldn’t believe the mobs of unmasked people at the bar, etc., and it was clearly a political statement for them. I kept my mask on but could feel the antipathy. This had nothing to do with being gay but everything about the overall environment. As soon as I was on Disney property, I felt 100% safe and comfortable. At that time, Disney was strictly—and I mean strictly—enforcing a masking requirement.

I live in Orange County. There are pockets of conservative areas, but those are generally isolated to the coast adjacent cities (Huntington, Newport, Dana Point) and then inland south county (Ladera Ranch, Rancho Santa Margarita/Coto de Caza). Even there, you won't find too much negativity, with the exception of HB which has seemingly gone off the rails lately. I'd recommend steering clear of Huntington Beach, but everywhere else is safe. Orange county is "blue" overall.

I am an ally so I can't say I can relate .. but I can say that I cannot believe we even have to have this conversation. So sad. I say this: you do you - go where YOU want to go and I do agree you're safe and sound within the Disney bubble.

I would definitely stay out of Florida, especially since the state legislature just passed the anti Trans bathroom bill, making it increasingly possible to be harassed or arrested for using a public restroom.

This is new law, so it isn't known how WDW will apply it to parks policy, but hotels, restaurants, airports, lounges, etc will most likely be effected.

Disneyland would be the safest destination, however I would advise studying up on the laws in states where you pass through while in transit to and from your destination.

Good luck and safe travels.

I'd agree that the WDW bubble is safe, BUT I'm a worrier and would also be concerned about things like needing emergency healthcare. In terms of parks, you're good at either. But the state of FL is truly frightening right now, and you'll relax much more fully in friendly CA.

A correction to my post regarding the bathroom bill: This bill perpetuates discrimination and exclusion of transgender Floridians by prohibiting gender-inclusive restrooms and changing rooms in schools, prisons, detention centers, and government buildings. Following extensive public outcry, the legislation was narrowed from its original scope impacting private businesses and healthcare facilities statewide.

I would definitely stay out of Florida, especially since the state legislature just passed the anti Trans bathroom bill, making it increasingly possible to be harassed or arrested for using a public restroom.

This is new law, so it isn't known how WDW will apply it to parks policy, but hotels, restaurants, airports, lounges, etc will most likely be effected.

Disneyland would be the safest destination, however I would advise studying up on the laws in states where you pass through while in transit to and from your destination.

The bill shouldn't affect the parks.

The measure would apply to the use of bathrooms at facilities such as public schools and universities, state and local government buildings, prisons and jails, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

An earlier version also would have applied to health-care facilities and businesses such as eateries and gas stations, but those venues were removed from the final version.

Plus didn't that guy who wishes to be king sign some new gun law? Anyone can carry a concealed gun in FL without a permit. Now with the want to be king's minions thinking they're running the show I don't think many will feel safe.

The bill shouldn't affect the parks.

The measure would apply to the use of bathrooms at facilities such as public schools and universities, state and local government buildings, prisons and jails, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

An earlier version also would have applied to health-care facilities and businesses such as eateries and gas stations, but those venues were removed from the final version.
Airports

Your concerns are legitimate. WDW property is safe, but you’ll still have to navigate the area a bit. Traveling in Florida is a risk. We look at how likely is it that we’d need emergency medical care as the main problem that we can’t plan for.

Disneyland is amazing and CA is friendly. Sometimes it’s okay to choose the path of least resistance.
Unfortunately, I think it will take receiving a substantial economic hit to get through to many people that these types of bills are bad for business. Now, I don’t think that public policy should be set solely for economic benefit but an economic hit will indicate that many people just don’t agree with the policies and are willing to take their dollars elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter