Travel Changes?

Well, the wait continues. We're still booked on the 7/4 Norway trip. Our family of 5 is fully paid up ($24K) and they still haven't cancelled our trip. We've cancelled every other part of the trip. So no matter what, we're not going. I'm just waiting on ABD to cancel.

I called yesterday just to see if there was any special offer...of course not. They offered to move us to the same trip next year and since it's the same price there would be no additional payment needed. If ABD had offered something similar to DCL (125% credit) I would have jumped at it, but a straight transfer wasn't interesting to me given that they have all $24K for the next 14 months and I have no options to cancel.

We have 3 kids...one each in high school, middle school, and elementary school...scheduling is a bear. While, in theory, taking the same trip next year wouldn't be a scheduling issue I feel much better knowing I have until next March for final payment rather than going all in right now. As such, my plan is to get the refund in the next week or two and then re-book the same trip for 2021 only paying the deposit for right now.

In my mind, the biggest risk with this plan is potentially missing out on the early booking discount but that's a risk I'm willing to take in order to get for flexibility. Plus, Norway is not one of the top demanded trips.

Hopefully the cancellation comes soon.

We're booked on 7/24 Italy/Switzerland and PIF also. I don't think scheduling will work for us to take the trip next year, so I'm also waiting for a cancellation. I can't imagine any significant travel happening this year.

It’s so funny...in all my analysis and over-analysis of the situation I never thought about putting down another deposit (I guess it’s just the avoidance of giving ABD MORE money). But you’re right...no risk. I may have to call today.
Thanks!

Well, I just called to book Norway 2021 on top of our Norway 2020 which hasn't been cancelled yet. She asked if it was our first trip and I said yes. She then informed me that I'd have to wait until May 19. I asked if the fact that I'm fully paid on our 2020 trip would count but apparently it doesn't...you have to complete the trip. So another week of unknowns...maybe (one can hope) that by the 19th they will have cancelled our 2020 trip.

Well, I just called to book Norway 2021 on top of our Norway 2020 which hasn't been cancelled yet. She asked if it was our first trip and I said yes. She then informed me that I'd have to wait until May 19. I asked if the fact that I'm fully paid on our 2020 trip would count but apparently it doesn't...you have to complete the trip. So another week of unknowns...maybe (one can hope) that by the 19th they will have cancelled our 2020 trip.
Worth a try! Hopefully it will be there next week.

Middkid, I was listening to the Podcast a few days ago about booking for 2021 and Kevin had said that your trip had to be completed prior to May 12th to take advantage of the advanced booking date.

Middkid, I was listening to the Podcast a few days ago about booking for 2021 and Kevin had said that your trip had to be completed prior to May 12th to take advantage of the advanced booking date.
That has always been the case since they started the Adventure Insider program. You are not considered an Adventure Insider until after you have *taken* your first ABD.

Sayhello

Yup...our first ever ABD trip is July 4 and it will be cancelled. I'm fully paid off so I called hoping that since they had over $20K of my money they'd consider me a returning member. Alas, that's not the case. Need to actually take the trip.

So finally my Med cruise is cancelled! Yay! And I just called Lufthansa and got a full refund because my flight from Madrid to Toronto was changed to one with a stopover. Now just waiting for DCL to send me my email so I can change my booking for next year....

So finally my Med cruise is cancelled! Yay! And I just called Lufthansa and got a full refund because my flight from Madrid to Toronto was changed to one with a stopover. Now just waiting for DCL to send me my email so I can change my booking for next year....
I’m patiently waiting for my Peru July ABD to be cancelled but I’m feeling a little jealous of the cruise 125% off discount for next year...almost wish I would’ve had a cruise booked to be cancelled!! 😂

I’m patiently waiting for my Peru July ABD to be cancelled but I’m feeling a little jealous of the cruise 125% off discount for next year...almost wish I would’ve had a cruise booked to be cancelled!! 😂
Good luck with ABD! I hope they do cancel soon!

Lol as for the cruise, I’m planning to rebook Alaska next year, hubby decided he didn’t want to go to Europe next summer. With the 125% of my cancelled 5 night cruise, I’m able to almost fully pay my 7 night Alaska one ($300? more) so I’m ok with it. Only thing is how cruising will actually go from here...

So another update, before my PIF, I moved my deposit as a placeholder for my Barcelona short escape. They cancelled this adventure along with the cruise cancellations today. I just got an email from my TA that she was able to get me a refund back for my deposit which is really amazing! Wasn’t expecting it at all so I’m absolutely grateful she got that for me!
Now just some hotels to cancel and I’d be golden! I did have some tours who couldn’t refund and just gave me a lifetime credit. Hope they don’t go out of business!

Some countries are taking an interesting approach to opening back up - basically you take a COVID-19 test when you arrive at the airport, or bring a "clean bill of health" from a physician.

I wouldn't think companies like ABD would necessarily be able to hold tours under these conditions, because what if a customer tested positive (or falsely positive) at the airport. I'm sure you would not be getting a refund, and I know I wouldn't want to risk losing that much money.

But it certainly opens an interesting can of worms, if technically travel is "open" in some places.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/travel-to-iceland-reopen/

Last edited:
Some countries are taking an interesting approach to opening back up - basically you take a COVID-19 test when you arrive at the airport, or bring a "clean bill of health" from a physician.

I wouldn't think companies like ABD wouldn't necessarily be able to hold tours under these conditions, because what if a customer tested positive (or falsely positive) at the airport. I'm sure you would not be getting a refund, and I know I wouldn't want to risk losing that much money.

But it certainly opens an interesting can of worms, if technically travel is "open" in some places.

I saw this and was thinking it would make more sense to test at departure rather than arrival. It is nice that they are open but if I were to self isolate, I would want to do it at home rather than at a country I’m supposed to have a vacation at....

I saw this and was thinking it would make more sense to test at departure rather than arrival. It is nice that they are open but if I were to self isolate, I would want to do it at home rather than at a country I’m supposed to have a vacation at....

I wouldn't think companies like ABD wouldn't necessarily be able to hold tours under these conditions, because what if a customer tested positive (or falsely positive) at the airport. I'm sure you would not be getting a refund, and I know I wouldn't want to risk losing that much money.

What if you caught COVID 19 in transit to the trip at the airport or the plane? This is really complex. What if you had symptoms but not COVID 19?

What if you caught COVID 19 in transit to the trip at the airport or the plane? This is really complex. What if you had symptoms but not COVID 19?

I had all the same thoughts.

I'd probably prefer to bring a letter from my doctor, but I wonder how many would be willing to give a "clean bill of health" without administering a test - which is still hard to get if you don't have symptoms.

I wouldn't think companies like ABD would necessarily be able to hold tours under these conditions, because what if a customer tested positive (or falsely positive) at the airport. I'm sure you would not be getting a refund, and I know I wouldn't want to risk losing that much money.

We are booked on the July 8th Iceland trip. I'm very curious if we'll be able to go. If the trip runs we will likely get the tests in hand before we leave.

We are booked on the July 8th Iceland trip. I'm very curious if we'll be able to go. If the trip runs we will likely get the tests in hand before we leave.
How would you get the tests in hand? I have neighbors that don't meet the strict criteria for the test and they won't test them. We all think they have it and wish they would get tested - we avoid the like the plague (because it is!) but still talk regularly. Please share how you would do this - many people would like to take advantage of that!

Griffdog- what state are you in? I'm in CA and know folks who got the test, no criteria. Both the virus test and antibody test. All they had to do was ask.
We are in Virginia - last week we ranked 48th out of 50th for testing. Virginia began reopening in most of the Commonwealth yesterday, despite numbers/deaths that keep rising. Multiple localities opted out of the reopening, and the Governor (being a medical doctor) allowed them to do so. Here in Northwest Virginia we have a constant hoard of whackos from the North invade us daily, no masks, no distancing, all in poor health, usually with loaded guns, demanding their rights to shop and infect in our state. According to our department of health, the average number of citizens tested began DECLINING on April 28....out here we still don't have enough test kits...and yes, we are only 85 miles away from the man that says everyone in the nation can have one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter