Travel Changes?

Due to COVID, we had to change our Disneyland Backstage Magic tour from November to December 2020. Our son earned an internship working post-production on a tv show, and they had to push back production in order to keep everyone safe. We booked the tour and insurance and filed a claim of job change. We were disappointed that ABD wouldn't allow us to simply move our deposit to a later date, but did receive 75% of our deposit back in the form of vouchers. While this is great, the rule is the future credit must be used on a trip that departs on or before May 2021. Would love to use the vouchers toward PIF in August for the December 2020 Backstage Magic, but don't know if it will go. I don't think @disneyholicfamily that deposits are transferable, as we were unable to move ours a month later. Any advice anyone could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Due to COVID, we had to change our Disneyland Backstage Magic tour from November to December 2020. Our son earned an internship working post-production on a tv show, and they had to push back production in order to keep everyone safe. We booked the tour and insurance and filed a claim of job change. We were disappointed that ABD wouldn't allow us to simply move our deposit to a later date, but did receive 75% of our deposit back in the form of vouchers. While this is great, the rule is the future credit must be used on a trip that departs on or before May 2021. Would love to use the vouchers toward PIF in August for the December 2020 Backstage Magic, but don't know if it will go. I don't think @disneyholicfamily that deposits are transferable, as we were unable to move ours a month later. Any advice anyone could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I think I’m missing something here, as I’ve moved a deposit before without any problem. It was from one AbD to another, rather than moving from one departure date to another for the same AbD. Is that the difference? I was told I could only move it once, and kept the same original AbD booking number. Or did you book the December date as new & then file claim to cancel November to get the deposit back?

I’m guessing that since Disney has not yet done anything with later in the year departures, you’re under their usual policies rather than any Covid-related exceptions for the March through July adventures.

You can always move a deposit one time so not sure what happened here... you can not however take advantage of any discounts when moving it.

I’ve had to move two trips this year.

We were told if we moved our deposit to the same ABD trip one month later, we would lose our deposit. Kevin told us we could file with the insurance company and try to get a voucher for the amount of the deposit. After we filed our claim, the insurance company and ABD sent us vouchers equal to 75% of our deposit. I also thought it strange that we were unable to move it. I guess I'll send an email to Kevin and try to figure out what happened. Thanks for the feedback.

We were told if we moved our deposit to the same ABD trip one month later, we would lose our deposit. Kevin told us we could file with the insurance company and try to get a voucher for the amount of the deposit. After we filed our claim, the insurance company and ABD sent us vouchers equal to 75% of our deposit. I also thought it strange that we were unable to move it. I guess I'll send an email to Kevin and try to figure out what happened. Thanks for the feedback.
that is so strange......so many people in this thread have reported being able to move the deposit to another trip....
i just don't get it...
I'm so sorry i ever booked an ABD trip.
I was a bit worried about the deposit being non-refundable but i've never had to cancel a trip in my life, so i figured the odds were close to zero.
Who could have predicted covid 19??

Really distressing and i have to say this leaves me with a very bad taste in my mouth about Disney.
And here i am, a DVC owner, so i am in fact a disneyholic, but ABD doesn't seem very pixie dust like in my eyes anyway.

I wondered how long it would take.
Honestly it was quicker than I thought! the 20th seemed to be the magic day. I would have been disappointed except things we were doing PRIOR to the trip on our own are cancelled so I wasn't getting a good feeling...Works out better for ne this summer though. I plan to book it AGAIN but wait a week and be under the 120 PIF promise for next year.

that is so strange......so many people in this thread have reported being able to move the deposit to another trip....
i just don't get it...
I'm so sorry i ever booked an ABD trip.
I was a bit worried about the deposit being non-refundable but i've never had to cancel a trip in my life, so i figured the odds were close to zero.
Who could have predicted covid 19??

Really distressing and i have to say this leaves me with a very bad taste in my mouth about Disney.
And here i am, a DVC owner, so i am in fact a disneyholic, but ABD doesn't seem very pixie dust like in my eyes anyway.
ABD miserable to deal with. Once you hit the ground with the guides it is GREAT. I always so the GETTING there is tough. policies, personnel, honestly in a way the trip I just was cancelled out of was a placeholder and I never thought I would see a refund in this lifetime on the placeholder amount. It is making me think twice about rebooking so quick. The 120 PIL cancel is the only reason I am even CONSIDERING IT!

Just heard back from Kevin. Evidently, when you book insurance along with your deposit, that locks in the date. Lesson learned. Thanks for all the help!

That is really good to know... seems nuts but maybe it has to do with the legal portions of the insurance and not being able to transfer that portion? Though Im pretty sure people have been able to move their trips and keep insurance with third party options... weird.

Its not just ABD... I've lost about $1400 to rented DVC points as well. No way it will be safe to travel in October, even if they insist half opening up their parks during this. I also thought there was no way I'd ever cancel, but also never imagined something like covid happening. Lesson learned!
Aw I am sorry! We were on rented DVC points, have since become a member, when WDW closed due to COVID. We were actually leaving the day the park was officially closed. I have to say though I was so impressed with how clean disney is, I never felt worried or in danger and this was back when no one had a mask and it was life as usual. If you are hesitant to go to the parks, would you consider resort only stay? I would go back tomorrow if I could!

I just hung up with ABD. Super easy process to cancel. The only hiccup was the placeholder from 4 years ago the credit card is unknown. She indicated it will take 2 plus months to determine. It was only 400 bucks so I moved that to my Italy trip next summer. If I have to cancel that then I will research the missing 400. All else easy though. I am disappointed it cancelled bur relieved just to know the fate and I can move on with other plans

Its not just ABD... I've lost about $1400 to rented DVC points as well. No way it will be safe to travel in October, even if they insist half opening up their parks during this. I also thought there was no way I'd ever cancel, but also never imagined something like covid happening. Lesson learned!
We are learning the same lesson. Even if we would never cancel a trip, something unthinkable could happen.

Aw I am sorry! We were on rented DVC points, have since become a member, when WDW closed due to COVID. We were actually leaving the day the park was officially closed. I have to say though I was so impressed with how clean disney is, I never felt worried or in danger and this was back when no one had a mask and it was life as usual. If you are hesitant to go to the parks, would you consider resort only stay? I would go back tomorrow if I could!

If we could drive I might be tempted but we'd need to fly as well, from Oregon. If I took the risk flying and staying at a resort I may as well go into the parks IMO!

Our case numbers are so low compared to Florida it just doesn't make sense to take the risk... I know that could change but so far our governor has been on the cautious side comparatively. I was still going to work like nothing was wrong until that same week in March and wasn't worried at all FWIW. We were on a cruise and at WDW at the end of January when Hong Kong and Shanghai closed - I agree Disney is clean and safe, but it's more about what the guests do than Disney. :flower3:

Just heard back from Kevin. Evidently, when you book insurance along with your deposit, that locks in the date. Lesson learned. Thanks for all the help!
This is still puzzling to me. I was booked with AbD insurance on a September 2020 Seine River Cruise and was able to move it, along with moving the insurance, to a Rhine River Cruise for August of 2020,..This was all done in August of 2019. The original River Cruise had been booked on opening day in February or March of 2019.

Maybe things have changes since I did that...??

edit to add - I book direct with AbD myself, I do not use a travel agent. Not sure if that is a factor...

Last edited:
If we could drive I might be tempted but we'd need to fly as well, from Oregon. If I took the risk flying and staying at a resort I may as well go into the parks IMO!

Our case numbers are so low compared to Florida it just doesn't make sense to take the risk... I know that could change but so far our governor has been on the cautious side comparatively. I was still going to work like nothing was wrong until that same week in March and wasn't worried at all FWIW. We were on a cruise and at WDW at the end of January when Hong Kong and Shanghai closed - I agree Disney is clean and safe, but it's more about what the guests do than Disney. :flower3:
Going a little off topic, but where in Oregon are you from? We're in Oregon also and we're been so lucky to have such minimal impact from the pandemic, and I feel like people here are being very considerate in public places (wearing masks and respecting social distancing, etc.).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter