Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone has a severe dog allergy, do they now have to request a "deep clean"? Or are rooms that have had a dog stay in it automatically getting a deep clean? Is there an added cost for requesting a "deep clean"? There shouldn't be...if the hotel is going to allow dogs, and we all know how spotty housekeeping is under the best of circumstances, then any requests for a deep clean at a pet friendly resort should be free. And why the heck aren't rooms getting "deep cleaned" all the time anyway?? (I know the answer is cost, but seriously...clean the room).

On our stay at BWV last year they gave us a room that had just had the rug shampooed. I assume it had been deep cleaned due to a service dog, but I didn't ask. The carpet was SOAKING WET when we got in the room around 4pm and was still damp by morning (and they refused to move us). That's fun.
I don't believe for a minute they are automatically deep cleaning anything.

If you want an allergy free room stay anywhere but these 4 resorts.

So someone in the thread posted dogs aren't allowed in "public areas" - ***???????? How do they get from the car to the guest room? Teleportation?

Absolutely FUMING at this new policy and on hold with Guest Services right now. We are at YC in 3 weeks' time and if dogs that are not service dogs are anywhere near me or my family I will be so angry.

Of course, we can't be sure what Walt would do or say, but he did have an incredible eye for detail and passion for the purity of the experience he wanted to create for people ... human people!

He wanted to create a place and experience that takes us humans away from our everyday stresses and he worked on this considering every angle and last detail. ...Building sight lines, landscaping, music, no smoking or alcohol etc. etc. etc.. He didn't want anything to break the spell.

Especially if he was alive now in 2017 (bearing in mind his revolutionary, refined and exacting approach), I really do think he would recognise that dogs (beloved as they may have been to him) do not add to the escape and magic he imagined. I think he'd see that not only do dogs actually create stress for groups of people, they also create stress for the environment he was building.

I can imagine him opting for a completely separate resort, with completely separate transport. I can imagine him considering every aspect of this issue and how every eventuality would be managed. I can imagine him disliking the fact that people who loved his fantasy world are falling out of love with it because of this development (and others) that jolt one out of the magical environment he held dear.

Everything Walt Disney created that was new, fantastical and cutting edge didn't come about because he followed the crowd - the crowd in this case being other hotels, resorts, places for human leisure.

Beautifully writen. Please consider sending your thoughts to Disney Management.

WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com
And cc these folks too:
Robert.a.iger@disney.com
Robert.Chapek@disney.com
George.Kalogridis@disney.com

A few thoughts/question about dogs...
If you have a dog and you're out all day, when you get home, you let the dog out in the backyard, you take him for a walk or something. How does your dog get it's exercise and for how long? Are dogs that have been shut up all day in a room happy with a 20 min walk? Most people come back to their rooms not wanting to take another step.

I know there have been service animals allowed for ages, but those dogs have been walking all day. I would think they go back to the room and go to a crate or their spot, not bouncing off the walls. But I have no information on service dogs.

With the no more than 7 hours, by the time you leave your room, the first hour (or more) is gone by the time you entire the parks if you are using disney transportation. This would really only work for those who did the park, afternoon swim, park type of planning.

I don't believe for a minute they are automatically deep cleaning anything.

If you want an allergy free room stay anywhere but these 4 resorts.

I don't believe so either...which is why I don't think there should be a charge for requesting one at pet friendly resorts. We won't be staying at any of these four resorts. We own DVC...but I tell's ya, if they try to expand it to DVC, we riot. :rotfl2:

The resort we are booked at turned into a dog friendly resort with two days notice. What is to stop Disney from deciding to expand the number of dog friendly resorts later with no warning? It is easy to say that there are 20 resorts that don't allow dogs. But Disney has shown that you can't depend on those resorts remaining that way.

I hope that everyone who emails guest services to complain about the dog trial adds the request to keep the rest of the 20 resorts dog free. I don't want to go through this again. :(

I think that is terrible how they rolled this out. I hate that they gave no advance notice and I think they should do everything they can to move people who aren't comfortable with it for any reason at no additional charge. Absolutely!

As of right now, for the future, there are 20 resorts that are dog-free for people to pick from

Until the trial is over and they decide to 48-hour notice drop that every resort is pet-friendly. “Oh that would never happen.” It just did to those of us who love any of these 4 resorts.

I understand both sides. Yes, some people are overreacting, but no one saw this coming.

I hear you. I think the 48-hour-notice was terrible.

I don't believe so either...which is why I don't think there should be a charge for requesting one at pet friendly resorts. We won't be staying at any of these four resorts. We own DVC...but I tell's ya, if they try to expand it to DVC, we riot. :rotfl2:

They've never charged for the VIP cleaning. Whenever we travel with our niece who has health issues we have it done.

I've been following this thread from the start and am still dismayed. I have a sinking feeling that this decision will not be reversed, it is a total win for Disney. At POR fir example, it's reported that guests can book any standard or garden view as pet friendly. This takes their lowest priced category and increases extra revenue from pet owners who book. Those that still want to stay there and want a non-pet friendly room are now forced to book higher priced room categories to try and "guarantee" a pet free room. More money in Disney's greedy pockets.

If you have a dog and you're out all day, when you get home, you let the dog out in the backyard, you take him for a walk or something. How does your dog get it's exercise and for how long? Are dogs that have been shut up all day in a room happy with a 20 min walk? Most people come back to their rooms not wanting to take another step.

I know there have been service animals allowed for ages, but those dogs have been walking all day. I would think they go back to the room and go to a crate or their spot, not bouncing off the walls. But I have no information on service dogs.

With the no more than 7 hours, by the time you leave your room, the first hour (or more) is gone by the time you entire the parks if you are using disney transportation. This would really only work for those who did the park, afternoon swim, park type of planning.

We have vacationed with our dog at hotels. He is 20 lbs. But it's not that complicated. We only stay out for about 4 hours max and then we come back and walk him for 15 minutes or so. He needs about two 15 minute walks a day and he is a happy camper (along with a few more bathroom breaks of course!) A larger dog might need a longer walk, but you would just walk that much farther or perhaps add a walk. It's not really rocket science :)

But yes, of course a dog owner would have to adjust their schedule accordingly, just like a parent of a baby has to adjust theirs, or any other number of situations that people find themselves in. It really would be specific to the dog's needs. I have had dogs that I have left for the day and I come back and they are sleeping in the same place LOL

Until the trial is over and they decide to 48-hour notice drop that every resort is pet-friendly. “Oh that would never happen.” It just did to those of us who love any of these 4 resorts.

I agree. When this dog foolishness expands, it will be interesting to be in the lobby of the Polynesian with dogs everywhere and non-dog guests wondering what the hell happened.

First they came for guests at Riverside, Yacht Club, AoA and the Cabins...

I've been following this thread from the start and am still dismayed. I have a sinking feeling that this decision will not be reversed, it is a total win for Disney. At POR fir example, it's reported that guests can book any standard or garden view as pet friendly. This takes their lowest priced category and increases extra revenue from pet owners who book. Those that still want to stay there and want a non-pet friendly room are now forced to book higher priced room categories to try and "guarantee" a pet free room. More money in Disney's greedy pockets.
I’ve also been following since the beginning and have read every post. I am still 100% against the policy. I will always be against pets of any kind (especially dogs) at the resorts no matter how they amend the policies or enforce them. Some people will think I’m wrong to think that, and that’s ok. But it doesn’t change the fact that there are 85% of people who don’t think it’s ok and 15% that do. Wasn’t that a big social issue recently, about a certain small percent of people who control the rest of us? As long as the 15% are getting what they want, screw the rest of us, right?

Last edited:

I'm wondering about this too. Don't dogs who have been cooped up all day need to walk? But they're not supposed to be allowed on the pathways? It makes no sense. I'd imagine there will be people walking dogs all over the pathways at the resorts.

Just catching up on the thread and wanted to share that I got a call back earlier today regarding the email I sent to George K. The CM that called said she was with George K's office and that they decided to implement the policy due to the overwhelming positive response from having dogs at the resorts during the hurricane.

Well then it turns out the hurricane has done terrible damage to Walt Disney World after all.

I've lived in Orlando 9 years. I have yet to see a rattler. Now, gators on the other hand...

I can't recall if it was a rattler of maybe a water moccasin but there was a child bit by a venomous snake on Disney property a few years ago. But snakes in general are pretty prevalent. For people who aren't from the area and don't understand that I can imagine their shock should their pup come across one and end up bitten.

Don’t know about where you live, but where I live, animal control is not coming out on private property for a barking dog.

Where I live the county has a barking dog ordinance and if you call them they will come out and issue a warning and if it happens again they will come out again and the dog owner will then have to pay a fine.

Our city also has a noise ordinance - if dogs are making any noise for 10 continuous minutes or 30 minutes intermittently you can call animal control to come out.

I'm wondering about this too. Don't dogs who have been cooped up all day need to walk? But they're not supposed to be allowed on the pathways? It makes no sense. I'd imagine there will be people walking dogs all over the pathways at the resorts.

There likely will be. Like others have said these are resorts set up with the intention to walk about and enjoy the grounds. And just from general experience in every day life there are always plenty of rule breakers when it comes to dogs (not that it's limited to dog owners). Our park down the road is off limits to dogs during the kids' baseball season every year, and has a huge sign on the gate where you enter, yet somehow there is always dog poop in the grass there.

Our city also has a noise ordinance - if dogs are making any noise for 10 continuous minutes or 30 minutes intermittently you can call animal control to come out.

Hmm, we have similar rules here, but I wonder how that works when it's on resort property like WDW.

Sorry just no. This is very unfair to the dog. People are not responsible and i do not trust them to abide by the 7 hours or 30 minute response time. Why would your poor dog want to be locked up in your hotel room for hours with strangers making noise in the hallways and all those strange smells in their place so you can spend a few minutes with them in the evening? Let them stay in an environment they are confortable in that has been designed for THEM. like their home or a kennel to play with friends all day. I would certainly be miserable if you made me stay in my hotel room all day. Look at tge hurricane reports. Disney fid a great job there but most posters reported going ro the lobby and walking around just to get out of their room. So why would we expect a poor dog to be happy being locked up in one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter