• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been following this thread from the start and am still dismayed. ... At POR fir example, it's reported that guests can book any standard or garden view as pet friendly.

Can anyone confirm that only Standard and Garden View rooms at Riverside will permit dogs? I'm still not okay with it either way, but I'd like to know all the details.

Unfortunately you will most likely get the same pre-typed response everyone is getting with only your name different. We were just discussing this on a Facebook page. We all got the same email back.

Yeah. They have buried it on their blog. Not replying to emails apart from a standard template. Can't see it on FB anymore.
The only way now to get their attention is start a petition and then send it to blogs, websites, newspapers etc.

Hmm, we have similar rules here, but I wonder how that works when it's on resort property like WDW.

:confused3

Our ordinance says "Owners and the Agents of Owners of Domesticated Animals..." Wonder if WDW could be considered the "Agents of Owners"? (Assuming ordinances there may be similar, I haven't looked them up so I have no idea.)

I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

My reply from Disney ~

Thank you for contacting us regarding our dog-friendly Resorts.

Because dogs are considered beloved members of the family, we have recently announced a new way for Guests to enjoy their Disney vacations with their favorite canine companions. On Oct. 15, select Disney Resort hotels began offering an opportunity for Guests to bring their favorite four-legged friends with them for an additional charge. Guests may have up to two dogs per room.

Guests traveling with their dogs must register them with the Front Desk at the Resort and adhere to the pet policies they receive upon registration. These include reminders about proper care and behavior, as well as the need for the dog to remain on a leash at all times while in public spaces. Guests must be able to provide documentation that their dog’s vaccinations and inoculations are up to date, upon request.

We will designate certain floors or sections of a hotel as dog-friendly, while the majority of areas will remain canine-free to accommodate Guests with allergies or other concerns. Should you have any concerns during your visit, we encourage you to speak with a Cast Member at the Front Desk.

We truly appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts with us.

Best regards,

Hillary Rhone
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So they actually think we are stupid enough to believe dog owners will stick to the designated dog areas and won't be walking their precious Fifi all over the resort walkways? :rotfl2:

I agree somewhat, but we stayed at the Kimpton Brice in Savannah in May and each morning we were there we were woken up before 6:00 am because of a dog barking in the hallway. I'm guessing the owner was taking the dog outside and it didn't last long, but the damage was done.

This past week at WL (club level ) we had kids running up and down the hallways early in the morning and late at ight yelling, screaming and making a ruckus! Nothing from the parents trying to make them be quiet so the difference is....?...

I get your point, and that can certainly be aggravating. But crying babies at 6am, running/jumping toddlers during breakfast at 7am, and loud clumsy drunkards at 1am can all lead to the same negative result. And NO, I am not saying dogs and humans are the same, obviously they are not. Noise is noise, however, and can be disruptive regardless of the source.

:love:

People with allergies and asthma may have a way to fight for their right to dog free room under ADA (Americans with disabilities act). I am by no means an expert in this but I would imagine that if they have to have a ramp for wheelchair bound, they would also need to accommodate someone with an allergy to something (a dog) that can be kept out. If I were allergic and were already booked at one of these resorts, I would demand they accommodate me with same or better resort with no charge to me and I would let them know you are protected under ADA. The cannot deny your equal enjoyment under these laws. If coming in contact with a non service animal causes you to suffer a reaction, they can probably be sued under this . I don't believe it is fair to place someone's desire to have a pet with them over someone's legitimate concern for their or their child's health. I wonder how much real thought went into this.

ADA enforcement is not my area of law expertise but would guess Disney lawyers have delved into this issue before its release (hopefully)

It is though.

Again, for the current trips, I think they should do everything to help people who have booked trips and are uncomfortable. Absolutely.

But for the future...there are 4 Dog-Friendly resorts and 20+ Dog-Free. Plenty to choose from. It's very straightforward

I have read on this thread that people wishing to be moved have for the most part been accommodated due to the very short notice. IMO I don't see Disney moving people when they call if they have made reservations after the new trial was announced as I see them stating there are other resorts in the same price category available that are dog free (with again the caveat that those with allergies could still get a room a service dog has been staying)

Has anyone made a resort reservation and/or looked at the reservation website to see if the test resorts state dogs are allowed?

My reply from Disney ~

Thank you for contacting us regarding our dog-friendly Resorts.

Because dogs are considered beloved members of the family, we have recently announced a new way for Guests to enjoy their Disney vacations with their favorite canine companions. On Oct. 15, select Disney Resort hotels began offering an opportunity for Guests to bring their favorite four-legged friends with them for an additional charge. Guests may have up to two dogs per room.

Guests traveling with their dogs must register them with the Front Desk at the Resort and adhere to the pet policies they receive upon registration. These include reminders about proper care and behavior, as well as the need for the dog to remain on a leash at all times while in public spaces. Guests must be able to provide documentation that their dog’s vaccinations and inoculations are up to date, upon request.

We will designate certain floors or sections of a hotel as dog-friendly, while the majority of areas will remain canine-free to accommodate Guests with allergies or other concerns. Should you have any concerns during your visit, we encourage you to speak with a Cast Member at the Front Desk.

We truly appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts with us.

Best regards,

Hillary Rhone
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So they actually think we are stupid enough to believe dog owners will stick to the designated dog areas and won't be walking their precious Fifi all over the resort walkways? :rotfl2:
Yup, same exact email we are all getting back.

I am laughing at the "noise control".. heck it takes maintenance at Fort Wilderness hours to get to your cabin when something's amiss- example, LOL.. seriously true, nearly every plug in had to be replaced when we got there, now that's pitiful when your hair dryer plug falls out.. remote controls missing and it takes an act of God to get another one delivered.. it's amazing to us that the cabins were updated- puhleeze. They've already closed an entire loop and replaced it with more RV's, that's fine but last trip down I told my husband, "I wonder what other surprises they'll throw out to all of us." I don't want to step outside our cabin late at night and have a dog running lose because the owner thinks, "awhh no one will know, they're all asleep." My husband got tickled and said they'd probably have a clothes line out and the dog running back and forth or tied out to the tree... all kinds of scenarios you can imagine.. but should be very, very interesting to see how all of this is handled by Disney, like just call the front desk to let housekeeping know they can clean your room now, I mean will they be hiring more employees to be on call for that for every room with the dog in room thing on the door handle?

It is though.

Again, for the current trips, I think they should do everything to help people who have booked trips and are uncomfortable. Absolutely.

But for the future...there are 4 Dog-Friendly resorts and 20+ Dog-Free. Plenty to choose from. It's very straightforward

Not straightforward at all. This keeps getting ignored so I'll explain it again. I have a family of 5. Our affordable onsite options are POR and CBR. The next step up in price (which we could possibly manage for a shorter trip with a good discount) would be the FW Cabins or AoA suites. We now have one option which is CBR and it's currently under major construction.

I do believe there are a small number of suites at an All Star resort, but they rarely seem to show up as available, and after my experience with the rooms at AS Sports last year I wouldn't consider a stay in an AS resort again until they have a reburb. Even if you included their small number of suites then I have 2 unpleasant options for now.

Last edited:
I am not allergic. I was attacked by a dog on my way to school when I was a child. So I don't like dogs. I have gotten over my fear of most dogs. But I will cross the road to avoid passing a bigger dog on the sidewalk if I'm walking. The reason? I find many dog owners love their pets so much, they let their pets sniff, lick, jump on you and laughingly say, "Oh, they really like you!" I really prefer to not encounter dogs on pathways at resorts on my vacation for that reason. Many dog owners are very respectful, but some are not.

Similar thing for me. My best friend and I were attacked as children. Since then I have been terrified of dogs. Even when I tell people when this happens what you describe 6 out of 10 times they do nothing at first, telling me their precious angels are harmless. "They're really friendly" - that was exactly what the parents who had complained were told about those dogs on the way to school back then.

2 out of 10 times it gets even worse, they are trying to forced the dog on me - one couple even tried to put their dog in my arms - to pet it and show their darling wouldn't hurt a fly.

I was actually considering splurging and doing PO this trip. Then I decided to stick with All Star Sports in the end and go over to DLR for a couple of days with the money I saved. Now I am really glad I did.

Just to give the people who have no idea what it is like to suffer with asthma and allergies, here is a little idea of what it is like.

Strip down to your underwear and roll around in a bed of poison ivy then, rub it in your eyes, and then chew on it so your whole mouth is coated. Then take all your bedding and pillows and rub the poison ivy in it as well, and then try to sleep. This is what it is like to be someone who has allergies, and this is why it is such a big deal. Then try doing it for everyday of your entire life.

I take two medications and get 7 allergy shots every week, so that I can lead a somewhat normal life and make it to work to support my family. So yes it is a big deal.

Last edited:
This past week at WL (club level ) we had kids running up and down the hallways early in the morning and late at ight yelling, screaming and making a ruckus! Nothing from the parents trying to make them be quiet so the difference is....?...

:love:

ADA enforcement is not my area of law expertise but would guess Disney lawyers have delved into this issue before its release (hopefully)

I have read on this thread that people wishing to be moved have for the most part been accommodated due to the very short notice. IMO I don't see Disney moving people when they call if they have made reservations after the new trial was announced as I see them stating there are other resorts in the same price category available that are dog free (with again the caveat that those with allergies could still get a room a service dog has been staying)

Has anyone made a resort reservation and/or looked at the reservation website to see if the test resorts state dogs are allowed?
Yes, I have seen dog friendly statements in the resort overview section for POR and Yacht and Beach club resorts, but not mentioned on the page where you choose a room and actually make a reservation.

Sorry, but wrong cigar.

I have a pet. And I have had one or two most of my life. And I enjoy my dog's company. He follows me around the house when I am here alone. And he even seems to know when I am not feeling well.

But the dog is a pet. He isn't my child. And I don't treat him like he is. He doesn't need to come on vacation with me.

He certainly wouldn't be happy being left in a strange hotel all day. And that is what Disney is allowing.

According to their rules, you (any dog owner) may bring two dogs, any size, and breed, to your resort. And when you leave for the day, it is fine for you to leave them in your room. There is suppose to be a 7 hour limit. But there is no real way to confirm when people leave and when they return. When you return, you are suppose to take them the official dog walk area. But if you have ever owned dogs, you know as well as I do, that those dogs will go when they need to go. Then those dogs, who have been left in the room all day, then get to go back into the room for the evening. Then they get to do it all over again. Talk about stressful. I can't imagine any dog wants to be left in a hotel room for hours on end, day after day, for a week or more.
The poster you quoted didn't say they would be leaving the dog for long periods of time. So there goes the speculation again.

Most people who vacation with their dog do it to be with them and not leave them for long periods of time.

Well, the trial will be running at those 4 resorts for the next year, much to the delight of dog owners who now have the option to bring their pets along. But for those against the new policy, you can:

1. Continue to let guest relations and management know your concerns and frustrations, keep emailing and calling. Multiple times if you feel it is necessary.
2. Dogs may be allowed now, but there are policies and rules in place, so help Disney police those rules. Call out those dogs and dog owners who aren't being compliant and following the policy. Dog relieving itself in the wrong area, dogs barking too loudly, dogs not being quieted after 30 minutes, dogs not in a carrier, dogs being walked or playing in unauthorized areas, etc etc? Call the front desk, guest relations, take a photo or video, flag down every CM within earshot. Flood the phone lines if the problems continue or aren't being rectified in a timely manner. Make them know they will be requiring additional time and efforts to taking care of these situations - yes, it will be pulling resources away from other guest problems and concerns, but that only brings more light to the issue.
3. Everyone who has a reservation at those 4 resorts and is concerned about cleanliness? Request the deep cleaning before you get your room. There are doubts as to whether this procedure is even being done or to what degree of additional cleaning is actually required by policy, but once again, make Disney put forth extra resources, time, and money into this newly formed policy. If one of Disney's goals was increased profit from this dog policy, show them there could be increased time and financial expenses that come with it too.
4. If someone in your party suffers an allergic reaction because the policies weren't followed? Once again, management needs to know about it.

Those are just a few thoughts of mine on what those who are opposed to the new policy can do. Maybe Disney will think that perhaps building a new resort for pet owners and their pets (let cats, snakes, bunnies, birds come too!) was the better decision.

The poster you quoted didn't say they would be leaving the dog for long periods of time. So there goes the speculation again.

Most people who vacation with their dog do it to be with them and not leave them for long periods of time.
But, at Disney World, how would they accomplish this? Not go to the parks, and just walk around in circles over at the designated dog relief areas then go back to their room and hang out with their dog all day?

Unfortunately you will most likely get the same pre-typed response everyone is getting with only your name different. We were just discussing this on a Facebook page. We all got the same email back.

Several people have been getting phone calls. Especially those who were copying the executives. It is entirely worth expressing concerns over this. It may or may not make a difference in the end, but the only way Disney will know that they have a significant amount of unhappy customers is if we tell them.

Absolutely not. I pay big money for my pets to be taken care of so I can go away. I love my guys but this is my vacation. I refuse to "chill" - totally should have been told my "resorts" are now dog parks. I am freaking livid I have to deal with someone's dog during my expensive damn vacation. The Disney kennel is top of the line. Keep ur pooch there..I didn't pay all this freaking money to vacation with your damn dog.
No one said you have to be with someone's dog on "your" vacation.

I'm glad you will put your dogs in a kennel and not bring them with you because you don't want to go back and take care of your dogs while enjoying your vacation. This is the point I've been trying to make. Only the pet owners who actually want to be there for the dog will take them with them on vacation. It's not going to be the family who only wants to be out and about all day all night long.

But, at Disney World, how would they accomplish this? Not go to the parks, and just walk around in circles over at the designated dog relief areas then go back to their room and hang out with their dog all day?
Well on my last trip my dh and I didn't go to the parks. Some people don't. They choose to relax at the resort and enjoy things there. Not everyone goes for hours on end to the parks. Those who do won't be the ones who bring a pet.

pirate:I wonder how it will pan out if there's a pet emergency, like a snake bite or serious injury? Being on vacation you'd surely find out where the closest emergency animal clinic is or if Disney has a plan for that? So much to consider, at least I think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter