Tripods and Monopods

I've never used one. They look relatively unstable in "tripod" form. They also look dangerous. I wouldn't trust one to support my camera.

I'd agree - I wouldn't personally feel safe using it with my camera. I haven't been able to justify a monopod myself - I find that a compact tripod can be nearly as portable, can also be used as a monopod, and works as intended as a tripod. I use my tripod as a monopod quite often actually when I'm out birding with my big lens.

Thanks guys. That's pretty much what I suspected.

I've got a Manfrotto monopod from 20 years ago. Judging by the weight I suspect it's made of cast iron :) I was hoping this might fall into the "good enough" category since my old tripod is also a beast.

I have a monopod with feet. I have used it with my P&S as a tripod, but would never trust it to properly support a DSLR. Even with the P&S it would not take much to make it move about (e.g. a stiff breeze).

I have a monopod with feet. I have used it with my P&S as a tripod, but would never trust it to properly support a DSLR. Even with the P&S it would not take much to make it move about (e.g. a stiff breeze).

That's what I needed to hear. Thanks.

I want to get some good night shots with my Canon G-10 and was wondering what tripod would be good to cart around? I want something lightweight and not too big, or something that would fold up into something easy to carry. Any suggestions?

Do you have a budget? If you are willing to spend a bit more than most people, the Gitzo Titanium Traveler looks like a great tripod for smaller cameras. I think it was a limited edition that sold out, so you'd have to find a used one.

Rules of Tripods:

1) Every photographer has 3 tripods. First, the cheapest one s/he could find; next, the most expensive one s/he could find at Best Buy; third, the one s/he should have bought in the first place.

2) Light. Sturdy. Cheap. Pick two.

On our last trip to DW, I took a Gorillapod. It is about a foot high, and the legs wrap around anything. I've used it with a G9, and it works pretty well, if you have something nearby to wrap the legs around.

This topic seems to come up from time to time and there is no perfect answer. FOR TRAVEL, I use the Cullmann Magic 2. It extends to about 5'7" and only weighs 2 1/2 lbs. It folds flat for easy storage in a suitcase. At the parks, it fits into the water bottle netting on the side of my Lowepro Fastpack 200 or I store it in a park storage locker until I need it. The DW carries the Gorillapod SLRZoom on her bag. For some reason it is cheaper to buy the Gorillapod and ballhead separately than together.:confused3. I like the Joby ballhead rather than the "kit" B & H sells because it has a bubble level.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=cullmann+magic+2&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/470237-REG/Joby_GP3_A1EN.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/621302-REG/Joby_BH1_01EN_BH1_01EN_Ballhead_for_the.html

Good luck on your search.

Absolutely the truth! I actually compromised a little on price and sturdy. I went higher than I imagined at first, and slightly less than the sturdiest, and am pretty happy with what I got.

You can get all 3, but you'll likely spend more than the cost of the camera.

Rules of Tripods:

1) Every photographer has 3 tripods. First, the cheapest one s/he could find; next, the most expensive one s/he could find at Best Buy; third, the one s/he should have bought in the first place.

Wow, this sums it all up.

I am very happy with my Benro Travel Angel. It is light and folds down to fit in any carry on luggage. The price was not that bad.

I want to get some good night shots with my Canon G-10 and was wondering what tripod would be good to cart around? I want something lightweight and not too big, or something that would fold up into something easy to carry. Any suggestions?

You've received a lot of very good suggestions above...especially if you've got a dSLR camera.

However, since you've got a Canon G10 (an advanced point-and-shoot camera), you actually don't need a heavy duty, carbon fiber, lightweight, supersturdy, "can hold up to 20 lbs", "costs more than your camera" tripod. As long as you get a decent, sturdy tripod, you should be good to go. :)

since you've got a Canon G10 (an advanced point-and-shoot camera), you actually don't need a heavy duty, carbon fiber, lightweight, supersturdy, "can hold up to 20 lbs
etc.

Very true.

Picking a tripod is also another one of those things that benefits from hands on experience. There are two major chunks in a tripod, the legs and the head (the head is how the camera attaches to the legs).

Seeing the legs (and picking them up) will allow you to really get a handle on what the weight will mean as well as how awkward they will be when you are toting them around.

And if at all possible I would try out the various kinds of heads on an actual tripod using your camera. The head doesn't need to be mounted on the legs you want (it wouldn't hurt if it was of course) for this experimenting.

I ended up buying a more expensive head than I thought I would because I was lucky enough to skip one step in the 'Mosca' procedure by actually trying them out. I found that a nice 'fluidized' ball head with built in levels, adjustable drag and quick release mount really makes using a tripod easy even when using a lens that outweighs the camera by more than 100%.

In your case you might find a head like that is overkill, but it will be easier to tell after you line up a handful of them at a local camera store and feel how they mount to your camera and move around.

While it is true that we don't need a massive tripod to hold a G10, all things being equal weight equals stability. This is why many tripods come with a hook under the center to attach a rock bag, our camera bag, or for the hardcore a six pack of beer! ;) A very light tripod holding a G10 is probably too light to be stable in even a light breeze. However, we don't carry a G10 just so we can haul around a 5 kilo tripod and the foldable tent pole model (link below) looks really good for something like this. Just remember to hang something from the tripod for best results.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10404460-1.html

Rules of Tripods:

So true!

Don't listen to all these naysayers that tell you about every photographer owning 3 tripods. It's all rubbish!

Now, if you're willing to buy used, I have 2 for sale. One is really inexpensive...I picked it up at Wal-Mart. The other one was more money...it was the best one that Best Buy sold at the time. The third one I'm keeping because it's the one I should have bought in the...wait a minute.

Wow, this sums it all up.

I am very happy with my Benro Travel Angel. It is light and folds down to fit in any carry on luggage. The price was not that bad.

I just ordered a Benro Travel Angel. I'm glad they are good. I like my Manfrotto, but there is no way I'm carrying that around lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter