Uh oh... DL bans employee Islamic head scarf

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Disney (GCH) bans Muslim head scarf. Suit filed.

I don't wish to get too political or to turn this into a forum about religious expression, but I can see why Disney would want to prevent any strong display of religious affiliation (for example, a large crucifix worn on the outside of a uniform or the wearing of a yarmulke) on the part of their employees. Unfortunately, this specific case being a Muslim question, it comes lumbered with many other issues. I can only say that I hope it's resolved quietly and amicably ... and with no fatwa being declared against Disney.

That is absolutely ridiculous. There is a reason that Disney calls them cast members. They are in a show and are responsible for keeping the illusions required by the story going. Can you imagine someone complaining that they couldn't wear their religious garb in a movie? "Uh, sorry, it's Easter Sunday and I just want to wear my--fill in the blank--Christian attire..." It would never fly.

She should find a different job where she doesn't have to wear a costume. She obviously didn't understand what she was signing up for with Disney.

Here's hoping that I don't see Minnie wearing a burka next time I am at Disneyland :rolleyes1

Agree completely. But in the current political/religious climate, this can easily be spun as yet another indication of America's hatred of Islam. Someone will insist on defending Allah's name ... and thereby putting themselves on the same level as Allah if he/she can act as his (?) defender.

It definitely sounds like Disney tried hard to accomodate her and come up with a compromise. I don't think that she'll win the lawsuit, personally.

It does sound that way. As I said, hopefully this is resolved quickly and amicably.

Enough already. Sunday a Muslim employee of Disneyland decided to wear her head scarf (hijab) to work in observance of Ramadan. Her scarf did not work with her costume. Hello, Disney employees at the parks are called Cast Members for a reason. She was given the option of working behind the scenes or go home. She went home and now has an attorney. She was given an option! I hope this is in her contract. By the way she is not a US citizen. And yes she is represented by the Union. Okay, I will stop there…don’t get me started on Unions. Could you imagine a Snow White in a hijab, or for that matter Flo, the Progressive insurance girl.:tink:

I agree that generally all religious displays by castmembers are inappropriate.

tinkcollector said:
By the way she is not a US citizen.

What does that have to do with anything? The article says that she's in the process of becoming a citizen.

Good point. It just angers me; to have someone want the “American Way”, then dis it like this. Do they stone people in Morocco for actions against contracts with employers? I am a proud American and am just getting a bit fed up with all this disrespect for my country. This is emotional for me. :tink:

That is absolutely ridiculous. There is a reason that Disney calls them cast members. They are in a show and are responsible for keeping the illusions required by the story going. Can you imagine someone complaining that they couldn't wear their religious garb in a movie? "Uh, sorry, it's Easter Sunday and I just want to wear my--fill in the blank--Christian attire..." It would never fly.

She should find a different job where she doesn't have to wear a costume. She obviously didn't understand what she was signing up for with Disney.

Here's hoping that I don't see Minnie wearing a burka next time I am at Disneyland :rolleyes1

:thumbsup2

The thing that bothers me most is that she didn't have a problem not wearing the head gear for 2 1/2 years (meaning through at least 2 Ramadan periods), but suddenly in course of her studying for the citizenship test she learns that she has the right to wear it. Disney doesn't say no...they say, let us make you one that will fit within the costume so that it looks nice....and suddenly after 2+ years she's not willing to wait? Me thinks she read the wrong books about citizenship....she read about our society becoming sue happy!

I believe that Disney is doing everything right....they didn't say no, they said we'll pay to have headgear specially designed to coordinate with the CM costumes. That's a lot more than any other employer would likely do....after 2 years frankly I'd have told her to get out there and do her job without the headgear the same way she has for 2 years or go home and stay home.

This lawsuit would have garnered my support if it was a new hire that wasn't aware that she couldn't wear her headgear during Ramadan...but after 2 years without a problem, sorry, I side with Disney. And frankly, I believe the law will eventually because even if she tries to say she was denied permission 2 years ago....statute of limitations has long passed.

It just angers me; to have someone want the “American Way”, then dis it like this.

No see I would have *sworn* that this country was started by people who wanted freedom to practice whatever religion they chose...call me crazy, but I swear I remember learning that. Therefore, her wanting to practice her religion seems, to me, the absolute epitome of America.

My MIL is from Korea, didn't become a citizen for upwards of 35 years. Lives in a very Korean-centric city, speaks Korean (well, it's morphed into not-really-perfect-Korean, she found out in the spring when we sent her to visit her family in Korea), eats Korean food (especially ever since her caucasian/american husband died), etc etc etc etc... Just because you move to a different country doesn't mean you have to give up *everything*. If I moved to Russia, it might take me a good long time to get really into the swing of things, and I might always relish things from my country of birth.

No see I would have *sworn* that this country was started by people who wanted freedom to practice whatever religion they chose...call me crazy, but I swear I remember learning that. Therefore, her wanting to practice her religion seems, to me, the absolute epitome of America.

My MIL is from Korea, didn't become a citizen for upwards of 35 years. Lives in a very Korean-centric city, speaks Korean (well, it's morphed into not-really-perfect-Korean, she found out in the spring when we sent her to visit her family in Korea), eats Korean food (especially ever since her caucasian/american husband died), etc etc etc etc... Just because you move to a different country doesn't mean you have to give up *everything*. If I moved to Russia, it might take me a good long time to get really into the swing of things, and I might always relish things from my country of birth.

My son just took his social studies course for Gr, 7 - and learned about Canadian history - one of the huge reasons immigrants from other countries came over to Canada was because they believed that their ethnicity, as well as their religion, would be embraced in Canada (and it was) - it was a huge draw factor. In Canada, we sometimes call it a 'melting pot' of cultures.

Bumbershoot has a positive outlook that is very encouraging to hear - assimilation within a country can take place in many ways - but at the same time, cultures can still be embraced.

I love going to Disneyland, and find, for example, that a lot of hotel workers don't speak English, but we manage to find ways to communicate with them that work very efficiently. We love seeing and speaking with these friendly citizens! They are such sweethearts!! (Hojo hotel housekeeping, for example.)

I personally don't care if a Disney worker is wearing a head scarf - maybe I feel differently because a few years ago there was a struggle with our local police force, the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) wearing turbans... some felt that the official RCMP head gear should be embraced, and others felt it was o.k for some to wear their turbans for their own personal reasons.

Though I appreciate and admire the head gear worn by our RCMP I have no problem with someone else's desire to wear a turban to work as an RCMP officer if they so choose.

On another note - I understand the employee had no real issue with it for 2 and a half years until she discovered her rights - but one should understand that until she knew her rights she may not have wanted to rock the boat for her employment.

I do understand that Disney worked to try to resolve the issues. I know they gave her the option of not being seen by customers when on duty, (perhaps a poor choice if her main job was primarily dealing with customers) or of allowing a designed head gear to blend with Disney. I love that option, but feel it took too long for them to come forth with their design so in the end, it didn't appear to be a large enough effort on their part.

However, that being said, they might have erred by simply knowing the employee well enough she had been employed with them for 2 and a half years) to feel she may wait until they came up with their decision.

I do feel respect should be given to one's employer, as well, respect should be given back.

Kind of between a rock and a hard place, Disney and the employee are.

Not worth a law suit IMO. I think both parties should listen and respect each other. The Disney designed headgear sounds awesome, I'd love to see it.

Peace and love. :goodvibes

In Canada, we are proud to be a multi-cultural country - but I have also seen the exact same acceptance of all other cultures in USA - where all cultures are embraced.

P.S. Bumbershoot, don't you dare move to Russia!!! :eek: (How on earth will you get your Disneyland fix then?!!?) ;):goodvibes

Sure! practice your religion all you like...Just not at work where a themed "costume" is required. If your religion is that important to you - get another job where you have the ability to dress as you please. America is a big place. She was offered another position that would allow her to wear the head scarf thingy but turned it down...This is a publicity stunt.

Seems all these people that post on here are somewhat being very immature. Your going to a place to be free of immature things, be a kid. If your going to have something, like a girl working at a hotel resturant wearing something over her head ruin your trip, then I say, go back to your mommy. :)

Seems all these people that post on here are somewhat being very immature. Your going to a place to be free of immature things, be a kid. If your going to have something, like a girl working at a hotel resturant wearing something over her head ruin your trip, then I say, go back to your mommy. :)

This is not an issue of what people care about seeing in the parks. It was an issue that the employee (after 2 years of service) wants to now wear it. Which also is fine! It is nice to see people do that.

However her employment is based on being a cast member in a costume! If it does not fit the theme it may look weird. It wouldn't ruin my trip at all! It may cause some confusion for younger children as why the costumes differed. Which is an easy explanation by a parent.

Anyways, she was offered to accommodate her wishes. Which is more than many employers in this time would have done. Disney tried and the offer was refused. Hope she read her employee handbook before spending money on a lawyer.

Freedom of religion is guaranteed under the constitution. (not sure about expressing it) What gets me is that people wait so long to bring up suits against 'any' one. Case in point,guy suffers a stroke 3wks after riding a Disney ride,then waits 12yrs to sue them. Some gal claims that Donald Duck 'molested' her 2yrs ago and just now brings it up. Where does this 'stuff' end? :confused3

My son just took his social studies course for Gr, 7 - and learned about Canadian history - one of the huge reasons immigrants from other countries came over to Canada was because they believed that their ethnicity, as well as their religion, would be embraced in Canada (and it was) - it was a huge draw factor. In Canada, we sometimes call it a 'melting pot' of cultures.

Bumbershoot has a positive outlook that is very encouraging to hear - assimilation within a country can take place in many ways - but at the same time, cultures can still be embraced.

I love going to Disneyland, and find, for example, that a lot of hotel workers don't speak English, but we manage to find ways to communicate with them that work very efficiently. We love seeing and speaking with these friendly citizens! They are such sweethearts!! (Hojo hotel housekeeping, for example.)

I personally don't care if a Disney worker is wearing a head scarf - maybe I feel differently because a few years ago there was a struggle with our local police force, the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) wearing turbans... some felt that the official RCMP head gear should be embraced, and others felt it was o.k for some to wear their turbans for their own personal reasons.

Though I appreciate and admire the head gear worn by our RCMP I have no problem with someone else's desire to wear a turban to work as an RCMP officer if they so choose.

On another note - I understand the employee had no real issue with it for 2 and a half years until she discovered her rights - but one should understand that until she knew her rights she may not have wanted to rock the boat for her employment.

I do understand that Disney worked to try to resolve the issues. I know they gave her the option of not being seen by customers when on duty, (perhaps a poor choice if her main job was primarily dealing with customers) or of allowing a designed head gear to blend with Disney. I love that option, but feel it took too long for them to come forth with their design so in the end, it didn't appear to be a large enough effort on their part.

However, that being said, they might have erred by simply knowing the employee well enough she had been employed with them for 2 and a half years) to feel she may wait until they came up with their decision.

I do feel respect should be given to one's employer, as well, respect should be given back.

Kind of between a rock and a hard place, Disney and the employee are.

Not worth a law suit IMO. I think both parties should listen and respect each other. The Disney designed headgear sounds awesome, I'd love to see it.

Peace and love. :goodvibes

In Canada, we are proud to be a multi-cultural country - but I have also seen the exact same acceptance of all other cultures in USA - where all cultures are embraced.

P.S. Bumbershoot, don't you dare move to Russia!!! :eek: (How on earth will you get your Disneyland fix then?!!?) ;):goodvibes

Very well said.

The same article appeared in our local online paper today, which also shows a picture. I might be wrong to assume she is wearing her uniform (?) but the woman is described as a hostess, in which case I would hardly have thought her hijab would have been distracting as she's not in a 'character costume as such.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10667280

Not distracting at all. In fact,she's cute. Even if she wasn't 'cute' wouldn't bother me at all.

Good point. It just angers me; to have someone want the “American Way”, then dis it like this. Do they stone people in Morocco for actions against contracts with employers? I am a proud American and am just getting a bit fed up with all this disrespect for my country. This is emotional for me. :tink:

So your objection is that she's throwing her employer under the bus, as it were? I can't really disagree with that. They offered her reasonable alternatives and she's suing.

Just remember that America is everything *everyone* thinks it is, not just everything you think it is. That's the point :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter