Uh oh... DL bans employee Islamic head scarf

This whole thing makes me sick and I hope Disney wins! They are a private company with a uniform policy. The news reporter said costumes start from the neck down but that is not true with Disney! They are very specific about your hair, makeup and earrings, it is the whole image for Disney!

I'm sick of the majority being bullied by the minority! My first year of teaching we had a school of 500 students. Three of them couldn't say The Pledge of Allegiance so what did my school do? They stopped saying the pledge and replaced it some lame pledge to our school! For 3 students!!! Ridiculous!

I think Disney is going to win. :wizard:

The following is from MP's Weekly DLR Update, Aug. 23 (link):

"MousePlanet obtained a copy of the 2010 Look Book, which includes an introduction reading "Our costumed Cast Members are a critical part of the show. Just as actors and actresses wear costumes themed to the characters they are portraying, you wear a costume that supports your role as well," and goes on to state, "Choices in appearance that do not support that role are unacceptable." The guidelines contained in the Look Book would also restrict cast members from wearing turbans, yarmulkes or necklaces with crosses, or displaying religious tattoos."

And here's today's Op-Ed from the L.A. Times (link):

Hold the hijab

Disney has a long history of dress policies and is within its rights in restricting where a restaurant worker can wear a hijab.

August 24, 2010

Minnie Mouse doesn't wear a hijab, at least not in Anaheim, and Mickey goes without a yarmulke. On these points, most people would agree: When a job requires a specific costume or uniform, it is the employer's prerogative to determine what accessories are appropriate.

For less exotic jobs, the rules become less clear. We could certainly sympathize with Disneyland if it prohibited turbans on the workers who buckle visitors into the Matterhorn ride, lest the headgear ruin the faux-Tyrolean atmosphere. Disneyland is famously attentive to every detail — from the decorations along its ride queues to employees' jewelry — that might diminish the carefully crafted sense of leaving the real world behind.

Now a young Muslim woman has filed an equal-opportunity complaint against the Disney Resort in Anaheim because she was not allowed to wear her hijab as a restaurant hostess in a Disney hotel. The company reportedly told her she could work "backstage" (only a Disney restaurant would have a backstage) wearing her hijab, or she could remove it. When she refused to do either, she says, she was sent home without pay.

At many restaurants, the rules are somewhat loose about a hostess' garb. They might simply require modest attire, in which case a hijab could be perfectly appropriate, or they might mandate immodest attire. In the case of the latter, would a woman whose religious beliefs call for covering her legs be allowed to wear a long skirt to work? The answer would be no.

Imane Boudlal works at the Storyteller's Cafe, which has a Chip 'n' Dale theme. Costumed characters visit the tables, and the hostesses wear camp pants and orange vests. The resort tries to accommodate religious traditions to the extent that they can be fitted in with the various themes. For example, Boudlal was allowed to wear a blouse with a higher neckline, and Disney offered to provide headgear that would cover her hair and neck. (The offer was rejected, a spokeswoman said.) But among the requirements for employees or "cast members" who meet the public is that they refrain from wearing religious items. Employees sign off on this when they are hired.

Ordinarily, a head scarf would not keep a hostess from performing her duties. If Disney barred Boudlal from wearing her hijab simply because they feared customers might react badly, in contrast to how it might view a ring embossed with a star of David or a pendant in the shape of a cross, her complaint would be valid. But because the company has long enforced dress policies as part of its business strategy, and applies them evenly to its employees, Boudlal would be better off looking for a job where her religious convictions can be more easily accommodated.

:earsboy:

I hope they win!!! It will be a sad day when an employee can dictate what a private company can and can't do.

I hope they win!!! It will be a sad day when an employee can dictate what a private company can and can't do.

yeahy i wonder if she realizes its her against a private company? i mean seriously.... :lmao:

This story made National News here in Australia today. I am glad I read the story here first and got the truth because the News made Disney look bad.

Thats typical! The main stream media has gone insane over here.

The latest update from the Orange County Register:
http://ocresort.ocregister.com/2010/08/24/muslim-employee-is-taken-off-disneys-schedule/54087/

She is still employed, but has rejected wearing the newly made costume headwear for 4 days now, because she feels it mocks her religion. That brings the total to 8 days. Accurately, the time it took from her request to Disney's final product was not a couple months, but within the week, she was fitted and the hat (shown in a link in the article) was produced. Some news stories have been misleading on this.

They won't fire her - they learned their lesson not to fire for that in the WDW case from a few years back (see related OCR story linked in the article). In fact, most cases where firing occurs results in expensive and lost legal battles. Those that do not fire have a better leg to stand on. That is why the alternative position is offered.

Since she is a hostess (which means she might be waiting tables in Disney-speak), I can understand why taking the backstage job might be a negative - less pocket money from tips, but I am firmly of the opinion that the "reject it and risk your future" choice is crazy talk in this economy - regardless of your religion. I only partially agree with everyone else that she won't have good luck being hired, she'll end up working for a small, family-owned employer that shares her beliefs - which actually might not be that hard for her to find out here in LA - where the family-run business is prevalent.

I also agree that from the business perspective, Disney needs to air on the side of caution in making decisions to change their dress code, due to the slippery slope phenomenon. After all - look how long it took them to remove pantyhose from the code. It just happened two or three months ago! What applies to one employee must apply to all!

I think her lawsuit does galvanize people who have been affected by the job market and economy.

This has nothing to do with religion. Disney, like many employers, have certain dress and grooming standards that everyone is required to comply with. They're told about these standards and the consequences when they're hired. If they don't like them, they shouldn't take the jobs. (Disney's not a private company anymore, although the Disney family owns the bulk of the stock. It's a publicly-traded company with really cute stock certificates, lol.)

It sounds like she needed the job, so she compromised her standards and made the agreement two years ago. Now, with her citizenship underway, she's decided to go back to her beliefs. More power to her, but that doesn't alter the agreement from when she was hired. They offered her other options and she refused them. Hope she finds a job that's better suited for her lifestyle and dress.

Throwing other people's transgressions on the fire (piercings, tattoos, crosses, etc.) isn't going to help her cause because those same grooming rules say that those have to be covered or put away when in costume. It doesn't matter whether she's playing Jasmine or serving food - each cast member role has a costume.

The company can choose to relax the rules, but they're not required to do that just because someone goes back on an earlier agreement. Someone else pointed out the pantyhose rule change, for example.

While Disney might settle out of court just to save some legal fees, this is a frivolous lawsuit that won't stand up in court because she knew the rules and turned down two very reasonable alternatives that would allow her the best of both worlds: being observant and being a Disney cast member.

It is a shame this woman is doing this. She has been on the job, for a couple of years, knew what she was getting herself into; what was expected, what the dress code was and what the image is created for the guests who entered the park. Walt Disney took pride into every minute detail that went into creating Disneyland. That is one reason why it is so magical. Why would someone think for a split second they could wake up one day and decide to break the rules, and then sue even though your company bent over backwards to keep you in your job.She should have asked to be a character in a costume. Boudlal has the support of her union, which has been in a bitter fight for months with Disneyland over an expired contract for hotel workers.This is a grasping at straws tactic from the Union (the ONLY one who hasn't signed contracts with Disney). There are many other Unions that signed contracts with Disney, this is the only hold out. If their complaint were valid, the other Unions would stand behind them, but they are NOT. This really makes the steam shoot out of my ears. There are many companies out there who wouldn't put up with that and say, 'if you do not like it, there is the door'. She is playing the religion card big time and it is wrong.

The one good thing that could come of this is it might finally make us stand up and say "enough is enough"! Personally, I'm sick of all the whining about "my rights" and sueing! The world doesn't revolve around you and I'm sorry the prison doesn't serve the kind of sugar you like (remember that one?) or whatever else is not to your personal preference!

Of course I'm glad we have personal freedom in this country and the right to stand up for our rights but we have to find the balance! IMO, we've gone too far and the rights of the majority are being affected by the minority. I personally want the "Disney-look" to stay and will be upset if Disney relaxes their standards.

Last night on the news the girl stated "All I want is to be treated equally". I about died because that is how she's being treated! What she wants is special treatment!

The one good thing that could come of this is it might finally make us stand up and say "enough is enough"! Personally, I'm sick of all the whining about "my rights" and sueing! The world doesn't revolve around you and I'm sorry the prison doesn't serve the kind of sugar you like (remember that one?) or whatever else is not to your personal preference!

Last night on the news the girl stated "All I want is to be treated equally". I about died because that is how she's being treated! What she wants is special treatment!

As you say, this attack on Disney by Ms. Boudlal, CAIR-LA, The Council on American-Islamic Relations-Los Angeles, and UNITE local 11, the union, is for SPECIAL treatment for Ms. Boudlal.

this whole thing is stupid. there is more important stuff in the world..

but i still think disneyland will win..

You know I was thinking the muslim community needs to be careful because they are demanding so many accomodations that companies won't want to hire them. Now I know THAT is illegal but if there are 2 equally qualified applicants the non-muslim may get the job because there might be less drama! I'm just sayin'....!

Just another example of how lucky we are in this country. If we don't like things we can sue! And get on tv in the process.

She'll probably lose and I hope she does. Not because I think she doens't have the right to have her head covered but because Disney has the right to have their cast members play the role they are hired to do.

Ever wonder why you never see an overweight Disney princess? Why Snow White is always caucasion? Is that racist? No its just the way the part is meant to be played.

There are plenty of other jobs she can do within Disney. I know plenty of people who will gladly wear anything Disney asks them to in order that they might collect a paycheck.

You know I was thinking the muslim community needs to be careful because they are demanding so many accomodations that companies won't want to hire them. Now I know THAT is illegal but if there are 2 equally qualified applicants the non-muslim may get the job because there might be less drama! I'm just sayin'....!

I AGREE! they won't hire her because of her background,. they will not hire her do to her past dramatic background with disney. she is just setting herself up for future unemployment! big business don't want to hire employees that are prone to making a stink!

Just another example of how lucky we are in this country. If we don't like things we can sue! And get on tv in the process.

She'll probably lose and I hope she does. Not because I think she doens't have the right to have her head covered but because Disney has the right to have their cast members play the role they are hired to do.

Ever wonder why you never see an overweight Disney princess? Why Snow White is always caucasion? Is that racist? No its just the way the part is meant to be played.

There are plenty of other jobs she can do within Disney. I know plenty of people who will gladly wear anything Disney asks them to in order that they might collect a paycheck.

exaclty.... my thoughts exactly!! :wizard:

I also have to say I think this young woman is being played by her lawyer, her union, and the media. If she loses, is her attorney, her union or the media going to help her find a new job? Doubt it.

I also think its interesting that some of the very people who are quite outraged at Disney are the very same ones that feel offended by the religous symbols and practices of other religions, namely Christianity.

Sorry but I had to learn a long time ago that many of the things I hold near and dear (Christmas and Hannukah programs in public schools for one, the Pledge of Allegiance being said by the class at my children's school for another) were no longer "rights" to be practiced in the places I work or that my children go to school in.

yeah if she looses she will learn hard that no one will support her, and she won't get a job ANYWHERE! I Would never hire her at my company.. and if she looses, she still will ower her lawyer the money that he or she gets paid for doing his or her job

So.. Lets say I'm all about Jesus and I work in attractions on Space Mountain and want to wear a giant wooden cross with Jesus nailed to it, tied to a leather string around my neck all day while I'm loading the ride...Should Disney allow that too? Freedom is not without limits...In fact it's getting to be quite the opposite.

May I ask you something. I used to work for Disney in a public roll, but not at Disneyland. This was about 15 years ago. I sign something that said I would come to work with no alterations to my "Costume" and I could only speak English on stage unless I spoke a different language and I was aproched by that guest first. Has this changed?

I am very Muslim-friendly and feel that in the majority of situations, they should absolutely be able to wear whatever they want (as should anybody). However, at Disneyland they are considered actors and when they are dealing with the public they are "on stage." A Muslim woman would not be allowed to wear her head scarf if she were doing a play, a ballet, a movie or TV show. Disney considers themselves to be no different from any other acting situation and IMO they have every right to dictate what their employees wear. A CM in many parts of Disneyland would look ridiculous and out-of costume in a head scarf. It has nothing to do with visitors being offended and needing to "go back to their mommies" as one poster suggested. It's about the fact that Disneyland employs actors and they expect their actors to be in costume. I would guess that the majority of people have no personal issue with it, but as her employer, Disneyland has a right to decide what they consider appropriate for their actors. Most of us speaking out for Disneyland are NOT personally upset because we feel it will somehow compromise our ability to have fun at the parks. I think that most of us simply recognize that Disneyland is within their rights and are standing by them.

Disneyland offered her ways to alter the head scarf to fit their theme and when she complained over that they offered her a job "off stage" and that wasn't good enough for her either. Now she is suing. No doubt, this Muslim woman behaving like an American now. She clearly has become sue happy. She has no case and will be laughed out of court.

I am very Muslim-friendly and feel that in the majority of situations, they should absolutely be able to wear whatever they want (as should anybody). However, at Disneyland they are considered actors and when they are dealing with the public they are "on stage." A Muslim woman would not be allowed to wear her head scarf if she were doing a play, a ballet, a movie or TV show. Disney considers themselves to be no different from any other acting situation and IMO they have every right to dictate what their employees wear. A CM in many parts of Disneyland would look ridiculous and out-of costume in a head scarf. It has nothing to do with visitors being offended and needing to "go back to their mommies" as one poster suggested. It's about the fact that Disneyland employs actors and they expect their actors to be in costume. I would guess that the majority of people have no personal issue with it, but as her employer, Disneyland has a right to decide what they consider appropriate for their actors. Most of us speaking out for Disneyland are NOT personally upset because we feel it will somehow compromise our ability to have fun at the parks. I think that most of us simply recognize that Disneyland is within their rights and are standing by them.

Disneyland offered her ways to alter the head scarf to fit their theme and when she complained over that they offered her a job "off stage" and that wasn't good enough for her either. Now she is suing. No doubt, this Muslim woman behaving like an American now. She clearly has become sue happy. She has no case and will be laughed out of court.

Very well said!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter