• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

United Airlines Kills a Dog

Yeah I didn’t think so either that’s why I said “service” dogs.

True but I would think it's much more difficult to get a service dog on board. Don't those animals have to go through specific training? I can't just take my puppy and say "Max is a service puppy, we're coming aboard."

True but I would think it's much more difficult to get a service dog on board. Don't those animals have to go through specific training? I can't just take my puppy and say "Max is a service puppy, we're coming aboard."
Yeah but ADA laws you can’t ask for proof. The dog does have to behave no matter if they’re a true service dog or not.

Are ESAs protected? In that the airlines must accept them?

ESA's are not required to be allowed under ADA rules but Airlines fall under FAA rules which are expanded. I think it is called the Air Carrier Access Act.

A possible solution is to ask for the paperwork/receipt of where the animal was obtained. Pet store, pound, rescue, or stray it's a pet. Application from a service that trains animals specifically for your needs makes it a service animal. Health questions would not need to be asked.

A possible solution is to ask for the paperwork/receipt of where the animal was obtained. Pet store, pound, rescue, or stray it's a pet. Application from a service that trains animals specifically for your needs makes it a service animal. Health questions would not need to be asked.
Perhaps if you are suggesting changing ADA laws, but asking for any paper work is current illegal.

Perhaps if you are suggesting changing ADA laws, but asking for any paper work is current illegal.

Not only would ADA laws have to be changed but they would have to require a dog be trained by acceptable companies and track that.

At the moment a service animal can be professionally or privately trained.

It's not just about asking paperwork that would make it illegal.

A possible solution is to ask for the paperwork/receipt of where the animal was obtained. Pet store, pound, rescue, or stray it's a pet. Application from a service that trains animals specifically for your needs makes it a service animal.

That is so not true. I've come across a few NYPD bomb sniffing dogs that were pound/rescue dogs. They were rescued right before they would have been euthanized. It's quite interesting to talk to a cop/dog's handler to hear how a dog comes from being a rescue and makes it into one of the most elite K-9 police units in the country. :snooty:

When they have the nose for sniffing, they have the nose. It doesn't matter where they came from. Not many dogs have that nose that can detect ALL of the substances they need to detect. And they test hundreds of dogs to find the few that can detect them all. And it turns out that certain breeds are better at sniffing some types of substances than others. So they don't have multi-purpose sniffing dogs. A bomb sniffer isn't also good at drug sniffing. Most labradors and some German shepherds are the best bomb sniffers. German shepherds are also crowd control. (I guess those that don't have the nose for sniffing.) Not sure what dogs are the drug sniffers. Then there are the blood hounds, rescue dogs and the cadaver dogs, like during the bridge collapse in FL.

Once a dog makes it to the NYPD K-9 unit, it is "on the force." It is considered exactly the same as the human cops in terms of paperwork: it receives a weekly salary to care for it, receives a pension when retired. :thumbsup2 And if it bites or hurts someone, has the same liability as a human cop would have. :duck: And when it retires, it's handler, who it's been with all that time, get a chance to keep it if he wants. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Last edited:
OT: We had a cat with a serious illness. The doctor told us the only potential treatment was a pill given 3 times a day. My mind couldn't comprehend giving a cat a pill 3 times a day. Then they suggested Pill Pockets. That cat willingly ate the pill off my hand as a treat. It was a wonder to behold.

I just cover my pup's pills with peanut butter and shove it into her mouth. It's hard for her to spit out plus she loves the taste of peanut butter.

I just cover my pup's pills with peanut butter and shove it into her mouth. It's hard for her to spit out plus she loves the taste of peanut butter.
I never would have thought of that!

Or wrap the pill in a slice of deli meat or cheese. That's what I did when I had a dog.

Thankfully I never had to give my cat a pill yet. It's an ordeal getting her into the carrier to bring her to the vet.

Man I stand by my earlier comment last week:
I'm really thinking, not just United, but all airlines should have a refresher course on their pet procedures.

Appearantly when it rains it pours when it comes to incidents (in general) with airlines.

Or wrap the pill in a slice of deli meat or cheese. That's what I did when I had a dog.

Thankfully I never had to give my cat a pill yet. It's an ordeal getting her into the carrier to bring her to the vet.

Our youngest cat is the WORST at getting into a carrier. We get one good shot, because once he knows what's up, the battle is on!

The deli meat never worked for us. They always managed to eat the meat and leave the pill.
I figured it out because I'm too cheap to buy pill pockets.

I would have paid my life savings to avoid giving that sick cat a pill 3 times a day! I still have fond memories of his whiskers tickling my hand as he willingly took the "treat" off my open hand.

Our youngest cat is the WORST at getting into a carrier. We get one good shot, because once he knows what's up, the battle is on!

The deli meat never worked for us. They always managed to eat the meat and leave the pill.

I would have paid my life savings to avoid giving that sick cat a pill 3 times a day! I still have fond memories of his whiskers tickling my hand as he willingly took the "treat" off my open hand.
Cats are a bit harder since they chew their food more.

Dogs are easy to make much cheaper pill pocket type things... peanut butter as above or what we did for the dog I had as a kid is a piece of hot dog and just push the pill into the middle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter