United allowing families to sit together for free

Not need, but I always did when mine were of that age. It's more comfortable for them, they are used to it, and you're probably going to need it at your destination anyway.
Most all popular car seats in the US are also FAA approved, as long as it's not incredibly wide it will fit, you may have to raise the armrest. Also usually gets you on the plane first since it will take a minute to get the seat in.
She will be closer to 5 then 4. She will turn 5 in January 2024.

We are going back and forth about renting a car. If we rent a car, we should definitely bring it.

@Lumpy1106 To answer number 1. Some people will do anything to save money, they aren't willing to pay $20/seat to choose their seats and ensure they get to sit next to their kids. Some of them will do anything to save money.

Pay? Heh, it's going to be free now. I just saw Frontier is doing the same thing so likely the whole industry will follow. With all the savings, I can almost afford Genie+ now so I'll probably see you in the Lightning Lanes. My kids will be the ones that look like little freeloaders.

Pay? Heh, it's going to be free now. I just saw Frontier is doing the same thing so likely the whole industry will follow. With all the savings, I can almost afford Genie+ now so I'll probably see you in the Lightning Lanes. My kids will be the ones that look like little freeloaders.
Before you get too excited, you might want to see how it works in the "real world".

The way it reads is "if you’re flying with children under 12, we have new tools that make it easier for them to sit next to an adult in your party for free. Soon this will also include families who have Basic Economy tickets."

I don't know if they interpret that if you're all on the same itinerary will the system charge you for children not qualifying for free or not.

It's going to happen that a parent is traveling with a child who qualifies as well as one who doesn't qualify. I also don't know if the secondary clause "If seats next to each other aren’t available on your flight because of last minute bookings or unscheduled aircraft changes, you can switch to another flight with availability in the same cabin for free and won’t be charged for the difference in fare." will apply to that if a parent has one child qualifying but one that isn't.
My understanding and the belief on FlyerTalk is that the child under 12 and an adult will get immediate assignment, the others will be assigned 24 hours out into whatever seats are left. Passengers 12 and up they won't care about.

Before you get too excited, you might want to see how it works in the "real world".
Oh I don’t really care. If you want my honest opinion, and even if you don’t want it, I truly think everyone who has a problem with this is a bad human being. It’s one of those “doesn’t hurt anyone, and maybe helps a few” solutions to problems. Yet it’s basically gotten to the point where people in this thread are lobbing the “terrible parents” insult around for those it may help. We could find a solution to world hunger and someone would make a Disboards thread arguing how it’s unfair they have to pay for their food while others eat for free. Seriously, nobody is hurt by this move and look at the two threads you’ve contributed to about it. What is going on in your life that this is such a big deal? Really explain it to me so I understand your lack of compassion for fellow human beings. Nobody is asking you to open up your purse, I would maybe understand your point of view if it was going to harm you in some way.

Oh I don’t really care. If you want my honest opinion, and even if you don’t want it, I truly think everyone who has a problem with this is a bad human being. It’s one of those “doesn’t hurt anyone, and maybe helps a few” solutions to problems. Yet it’s basically gotten to the point where people in this thread are lobbing the “terrible parents” insult around for those it may help. We could find a solution to world hunger and someone would make a Disboards thread arguing how it’s unfair they have to pay for their food while others eat for free. Seriously, nobody is hurt by this move and look at the two threads you’ve contributed to about it. What is going on in your life that this is such a big deal? Really explain it to me so I understand your lack of compassion for fellow human beings. Nobody is asking you to open up your purse, I would maybe understand your point of view if it was going to harm you in some way.
This is going to harm people and cost people that aren't involved in it extra money. Especially considering that it is United where two thirds of the window and aisle seats on the plane are considered "preferred" and have a cost to book before check in. This is allowing BE fares to violate the conditions under which those fares are sold. If I'm flying ORD-MCO in a 738, there are only 40 or so aisle and window seats that aren't preferred, if you have 20 children under 12 that have BE reservations and are assigned those seats, you only have 20 for paying customers. If my company buys my ticket 6-8 weeks out, I'm either paying out of my pocket for a "preferred" seat or sitting in a middle.
On Delta or American it wouldn't be as bad because they don't designate as many seats as "preferred"

I would be all of us that don't like this change have compassion for fellow human beings, what we don't have is the feeling that traveling with a child under 12 should allow you to break the rules of the ticket you chose to book.

This is going to harm people and cost people that aren't involved in it extra money. Especially considering that it is United where two thirds of the window and aisle seats on the plane are considered "preferred" and have a cost to book before check in. This is allowing BE fares to violate the conditions under which those fares are sold. If I'm flying ORD-MCO in a 738, there are only 40 or so aisle and window seats that aren't preferred, if you have 20 children under 12 that have BE reservations and are assigned those seats, you only have 20 for paying customers. If my company buys my ticket 6-8 weeks out, I'm either paying out of my pocket for a "preferred" seat or sitting in a middle.
On Delta or American it wouldn't be as bad because they don't designate as many seats as "preferred"

I would be all of us that don't like this change have compassion for fellow human beings, what we don't have is the feeling that traveling with a child under 12 should allow you to break the rules of the ticket you chose to book.

So help me understand- in your scenario you are being HARMED because more parents are booking aisle and window seats for themselves on a 738, but they’re getting it at a cheaper rate than you? But if the parents paid the same rate as you, you are not harmed?

So help me understand- in your scenario you are being HARMED because more parents are booking aisle and window seats for themselves on a 738, but they’re getting it at a cheaper rate than you? But if the parents paid the same rate as you, you are not harmed?
I'm being harmed because BE tickets are being assigned seats. Who it is or why is irrelevant. The entire point of BE fares when Delta introduced them were slightly cheaper tickets where you wouldn't get to choose your seat out of those available at booking, the carrier would assign your seat, either 24 hours before scheduled take off or at the gate as a standby. By assigning those seats at booking it reduces the free options and makes those that booked MC tickets to pay more to not have a middle seat.

. Seriously, nobody is hurt by this move and look at the two threads you’ve contributed to about it. What is going on in your life that this is such a big deal? Really explain it to me so I understand your lack of compassion for fellow human beings. Nobody is asking you to open up your purse, I would maybe understand your point of view if it was going to harm you in some way.
Since you asked...

I care for a couple of reasons...
1) I like logistics. I like learning how/why things are done.
2) I don't want to have planned (and paid for) a certain seat, and then have that seat changed, possibly to a middle seat on a long flight, because of someone else's LACK OF PLANNING.
3) I do have compassion for parents and kids. I've traveled with kids young enough that we installed a car seat on flights. I have no problem lending a helping hand.

I do NOT understand the argument "we have kids so things should be cheaper for us". Please, can you explain why? How many people have had no problem paying extra to select their seat for whatever reason? Maybe they like the front, the back, the aisle, the window, or sitting with someone. Please, can you explain why it it SO HARD for parents to plan accordingly to what their needs are?

Now, maybe airlines are going away from "basic economy". I don't see it as a choice on United from my home airport to MCO on a random day in April or in September. Delta still has it. You know the price difference (again, a random flight) between Basic Economy (no seat selection) and "Main Cabin"? $8. Round trip. $8 per person. Do I think someone is a "terrible parent" because they choose BE? No. Do I think they're making a bad decision? Yes. Would I make the same decision? To save $8 per person? So save $40 with the risk we might not sit together? On a trip that's probably costing thousands? No.

As far as why I keep responding, blame my grandmother. She taught me that if you have a belief, stick to it until someone convinces you otherwise. So go ahead, explain why it's important for you to save that $8 a person, take the chance you're not seated with your children, and then complain because you're not seated with your children.

I'm being harmed because BE tickets are being assigned seats. Who it is or why is irrelevant. The entire point of BE fares when Delta introduced them were slightly cheaper tickets where you wouldn't get to choose your seat out of those available at booking, the carrier would assign your seat, either 24 hours before scheduled take off or at the gate as a standby. By assigning those seats at booking it reduces the free options and makes those that booked MC tickets to pay more to not have a middle seat
I hope you are able to recover and live a full life after all of the harm inflicted upon you. Thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:
IF it wasn't the failure of the parent to plan ahead, I may approach the situation differently.

I flew alot with my two boys when they were kids, often w/o my husband. Somehow I managed to book seats together.
IF it was because of the failure of the parent to plan ahead, I'd call them out on it.
More of an FYI and not directed at you, but it wasn't too long ago that almost all airlines let you choose your seats for free. Now almost all want to nickel and dime you to death.

Do a quick google search "why I won't give up my airplane seat" fascinating stuff. Lots of people are very territorial about the seat they paid for. From what I've read, most people feel that parents use the "buy BE" and then beg for better seats since they're parents. I'm sure there are some nefarious characters out there that do this, but many times it could be due to lots of airline issues. As a parent, I always paid for seats for my kids. Didn't want to risk it. Heck if you're going on vacation, budget in the price.

Lots of people are very territorial about the seat they paid for.
We paid $120 each (even middle seats were $90 for this particular part of the plane) to select our seats on one leg for British Airways come July, not necessarily territorial but there was def. a reason we opted to select our seats and those specific ones. So if someone came along and asked me to move no I'm not and my 6 ft 5 husband wouldn't want to either.

I also think in many cases people end up asking for downgrades, would you really see many people annoyed if they weren't being asked to be moved from an aisle or window seat only to be asked to go to a middle or an aisle or window seat way back in the plane? Probably not.

there are some people who refuse to pay or have poor planning, and then there are others who have their flights canceled at a busy time of year and have to scramble to get home with a toddler on a cross country flight. I was very appreciative of the gate agent who put us all together. Although, I guess technically we did pay for it intially. 🙃

More of an FYI and not directed at you, but it wasn't too long ago that almost all airlines let you choose your seats for free. Now almost all want to nickel and dime you to death.
That's just it... it wasn't that the seats were "free", it's just your selection was included in your fare. Airlines, when they brought out the "Basic Economy" fare were giving the people an option of saving money. Just like they offered those who didn't check luggage a savings. So it's your choice if you want to spend the extra money to get what you want/need.

Even when BE came out, no one forced people to buy it. You could still purchase "main cabin" and get seat choices "free".

there are some people who refuse to pay or have poor planning, and then there are others who have their flights canceled at a busy time of year and have to scramble to get home with a toddler on a cross country flight. I was very appreciative of the gate agent who put us all together. Although, I guess technically we did pay for it intially. 🙃
I totally feel for parents who missed a connection or had flights cancelled through no fault of their own. As I mentioned earlier, I think they should get put together. I think airlines would help things if they offered a little incentive to those they've moved to make way for the families.

BUT, read this thread and the other one, and you'll see there are more than a small number of parents who book BE just to save money and then complain they're not sitting with their kids.

But they're not "breaking any rules" of the ticket they booked; it's airline policy lol. Like... if you have an issue, it's with the airline who you bought your ticket from, not the passenger who bought the ticket and is being accommodated based on the airline's policies.

Flying with your children is a choice that a family makes, and they should be prepared to purchase the type of seat required to be able to sit together on the plane. Airlines should not be forced to initiate policies that make parents entitled to lower fares because of their choice to fly with their children, Children under age 12 should not have the option to purchase basic economy as they are being given special priority to sit by their parents and not being assigned a random seat under the new policy.

Missed connections and canceled flights are now a normal part of flying for everyone. Parents flying with children need to realize that when these issues happen, waiting for a flight that will be able to accommodate them with seats together is a possibility that they will need to deal with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter