URGENT!! NO Hand baggage allowed today

angel659 said:
Have a nice time Ruth. I am sure its much safer to fly now than before.

I agree with what USA said about copy cats. I am sure the extra security and alert will stop these.

Thank you angel 659 and everyone else who is sending good wishes :sunny:

Prayers and best wishes to everyone. SOOOO glad this is a story about a thwarted plot instead of what it could have been. Hurrah for Scotland Yard! God bless. Stay safe. Hug your little ones tonight!

According to VA, twilight is still running & being actively encouraged. Their next update on the web will be at 1100am today.
I think more will come out over the next few days, especially regarding things like duty free etc. I think long-term it will end up being a bit like the US, you pay at the duty free & your stuff is then secured & sent to meet you at the plane.

We go in just over a week, so are watching with great interest so we can plan our packing accordingly

Hope delays aren't as bad as yesterday, and the planes start getting to be in the right place at the right time, and for those of you travelling this week-end, have a great time!

Celestine

Celestine said:
According to VA, twilight is still running & being actively encouraged. Their next update on the web will be at 1100am today.
Celestine

Thanks for the update. Really useful, especially as we won't be at home to view the next update. We're leaving home soon hoping to do twilight check-in, as we'd arranged. Fingers crossed!

Good luck to everyone flying in the next few days - we may see you at the airport!

Bye for now x

now i have not flown transatlantic in some time but i when i used to fly you had to purchase the earphones to listen to movies and music...if that is still in place i would hope airlines would give them to you free to have something to do on your flight!

i hope everyone that is flying in the near future has a safe trip!!!

unfortunately, this reminds us how many crazy people there are in this world! over here, many muslim americans are very upset because Pres. Bush called these terrorist "islamic extremists" and they believe that will lead to discrimination and persecution over here....i understand their fear but with so much terrorism being planned and caused by middle easterns, i think they will be stereotyped and closely watched even more now.....

One concern is that the Government Minister today said some changes might be made permanent. could this be Hand baggage perhaps?

From yesterday's Thomson flight, they did provide free headphones (usually 3 quid a time) as they recognised people didn't have their own hand-held games, lap-tops, etc (we had actually packed our own headphones to save 9 quid; cheap huh :rolleyes: ). They also provided the first drinks free of charge, but still charged for everything else (including crisps and other snacks, which we were intitially told me couldn't bring on board but some people did anyway as the info changed from hour to hour if you could be bothered to queue up each time!). My only real gripe was with the way info was transmitted in the Departure Lounge at Gatwick - it was haphazard and, at times, confusing. The airport in particular needs to work harder to be better organised for things like this, although yesterday's events probably caught them out as well as everybody else. Arriving at Sanford was a real breeze by comparison, and the staff there were extra friendly and helpful (even though they'd had just as long and tiring a day as we had). The Thomson crew also worked hard to keep everybody happy - unlike the family near me who complained - repeatedly - that their child's kids' meal was missing its piece of cake. Some worry, huh?

OK so rules officially have changed now on Hand luggage. Gatwick and heathrow bring them in as of tomorrow but all other UK airports brought them in today.

Basically you can take a small hand luggage bag but all electronics need to be taken out through security for them to check it. Also no liquids or food allowed to the US. Other than that things are about the same.

What it says on Gatwick website is:
Strictly one item of cabin baggage per passenger, no bigger than the size of a laptop of small rucksack - 35cm (13.5 inches) wide x 45cm (17.5 inches) long x 16cm (6.5 inches) high.

The bag must NOT contain:
- Any liquids, cosmetics or toiletries, including gels, pastes, lotions, liquid/solid mixtures, perfumes and the contents of pressurised containers - these must be checked in as hold baggage
- Cigarette lighters are NOT permitted in hold baggage or through the security search. These may be purchased airside.

The bag CAN include:
- Electronic equipment including mobile phones, digital cameras and MP3 players (such as i-Pods)
- Prescription medicines in liquid form, eg diabetic kit
- Baby milk and liquid baby food (the contents of each bottle MUST be tasted by the accompanying passenger)
- Laptops must be removed from the bag for x-ray.

Also for USA fights it states:
Cabin baggage which adheres to the new regulations will be permitted on board. However, extra restrictions remain in place and you WILL NOT be permitted to take any liquid or gel items purchased in the departures lounge into the aircraft cabin. All food or beverage items must be consumed before boarding.

I have just caught up with my nephew who is in the met police. If anyone was watching the the news reports on it all last Thur, he was one of the policeman standing guard outside the terrorists house in east london (all day!). Anyway he told me some quite interesting facts, which, made me realise just how close and real this plot was. Apparently the police found all of the suspects plane tickets and documents. They were going to do a "dry run" yesterday (Sun) where they were going to see if they could get the equipment on to the plane. They were then going actually pull the plot off this Wed (16th). The equipment used was going to be nail varnish remover, castor sugar and something other liquid that I have unfortunately forgotten :blush: . The detonators were going to be in ipods and mobile phones. The reports on the airlines to be used were correct - united airlines and american airlines.
Scary!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter