URGENT!! NO Hand baggage allowed today

I'm going to stop worrying right now! This is crazy! I should be smiling at the headlines today. JUST IMAGINE WHAT THEY COULD HAVE BEEN!

Boo Boo Too said:
There are a whole lot of emergency/contingency procedures that are not usually in place, but can be brought into place at a moment's notice if the situation warrants it. These will have been written up and tested years ago (many since 9/11) and will be under very regular review. They have had LOTS of time to plan and prepare for events just like this.

Sometimes authorities HAVE to make swift, strict decisions - it is much better to do this and have a 99.999% chance of averting disaster, then carry on as they were and there being maybe an 80% of a successful terrorist attack today. Terrorists work in groups AND they have back-up plans... locking things down to as low a risk as possible (but whilst still allowing people to fly) is the best way to continue.

It is a bit like when they grounded all of the planes flying over the US on 9/11 - ok, that was a "knee-jerk reaction", but it was the only reasonable one that could be made at the time (clear the skies). The British government COULD have done the same thing today, but no, it had contingency procedures in place to ensure that passengers could carry on flying (albeit at a slight comprimised level of comfort...).

Seems like a good plan to me: others will have to decide whether it would be preferable not to fly at all.

Boo

Exactly Boo.. you are so much more coherent than me! I am just very upset and worried by the whole thing seeing as we travel in a couple of days only.

Hi,

We are due to leave on Sunday. We were to fly into DC for 5 days and then to Orlando for 10 days. All flights are scheduled with United.

We have a 3 year old. I can't imaging getting on the plane without things to occupy him. I am already a nervous flyer

I know I must sound irrational, but I am seriously worried about flying this weekend. :sad2:

SammieG said:
Exactly Boo.. you are so much more coherent than me! I am just very upset and worried by the whole thing seeing as we travel in a couple of days only.

Sammie, I can really understand that you are worried and upset, we like you flew out only a few days after 09/11.

Just think positve, as lots have people have posted security is going to be at the highest, and you will be safer now than you have ever been. Everything will be fine and you will have a wonderful time.

Just think in a few days you will be in the Laughing Place, try not to worry too much and think of the wonderful holiday you have ahead of you.

Im just so thankful that i woke up this morning to "British ariports in chaos due to security alert" and not terrorists kill hundreds of innocent people.

Its very easy to be critical of other peoples opinions and actions in a time like this but i just always try and remember - this could have been so so much worse and we are all lucky that it wasnt!

For me the saddest part of this mornings grim news is how it puts peoples petty selfnishess under the microscope.

Clear plastic bags, objections about checking camera kit and lap tops, confusing info available etc etc

I have been astounded to read about the humilation that carrying clearly visible feminine hygiene products would bring. Get real people. It may be an initial over reaction but entirely understandable in circumstances in which the Security services and Government would never be forgiven for getting it wrong. I imagine that many of those now bleating about loss of civil liberties would be among the first to question why such measures werent put in place if god forbid these scum succeeded.

Consider the following scenario. A ban on kiddies toys, comforters, special tommy tippees etc means an uncomfortable journey surrounded by screaming kids. Screams that become a distant memory as they get to see the Magic Kingdom etc

Now imagine if you can the unimaginable. A plane load of screaming kids (and adults) as terrorists explode a device on the plane. Unlikely to be a big all encompassing bang but a small explosion that rips open the fuselage but allows people time to contemplate their impending fate.

I really do apologise for putting it in such graphic terms. Its sad that a website that is underpinned by happiness is evendiscussing these darkest of issues. However some of these bleaters need a reality check.

I've been sitting here sick with worry because my husband, SimonV (whom most of you probably know from the boards here) was flying back from the UK to the US this morning. I didn't know for hours what had happened to his flight. When I finally heard his voice telling me he was still at the airport but was safe I nearly collapsed with relief. It could have been a different story.

Please bear in mind when you comment here that many people are reading this thread and some of us have loved ones flying to the US today. Please remember that we are relieved beyond all telling that they are safe. All inconveniences pale in comparison to our happiness at knowing the people we love are safe. I for one will tolerate any 'embarrassment' to know we are safer when we fly.

Just editing to say I could have done without the graphic description above. I'm sure all of us whose hearts are with flying loved ones have thought of those scenerios and are trying very hard not to think about them at the moment. You certainly had the right to say it; I just wish you hadn't.

The Colonol -
OK so I do tend to agree with you in part (very bluntly put mind). It is an annoyance to some people for their own personal reasons and that's fair enough but I agree there was little other option for BAA to do but bring this in. We live in horrible times and if it means we can get safely to another destination then I'm all for it. I don't think my any means this will be a permenant thing as it does cause mayhem in the terminals but for now its the only way. Where I work has problems because some of us travel abroad for work and so can't take laptops and stuff abroad now as they have confidential information on and so can't be checked in but unfortunately we have to put up with it. Safety is the most important thing and this is the only option for the time being.

SammieG said:

That's odd, I was diagreeing with you and trying to address your concerns in your post... oh well... :confused3

I am 100% with Disney D - my first reaction when reading the headlines, this morning, was "HUGE relief" that this attack had been unsuccessful. It is incredibly unpleasant and stressful, but could be so much worse...

The security agencies are doing all that they can to keep SammieG and everyone else safe and get them to their destinations. I look forward to SammieG getting to Disney and having LOTS of fun and a GREAT time (what a great way to wage your own war on terrorism...) :)

Boo

cleo said:
I've been sitting here sick with worry because my husband, SimonV (whom most of you probably know from the boards here) was flying back from the UK to the US this morning. I didn't know for hours what had happened to his flight. When I finally heard his voice telling me he was still at the airport but was safe I nearly collapsed with relief. It could have been a different story.

Please bear in mind when you comment here that many people are reading this thread and some of us have loved ones flying to the US today. Please remember that we are relieved beyond all telling that they are safe. All inconveniences pale in comparison to our happiness at knowing the people we love are safe. I for one will tolerate any 'embarrassment' to know we are safer when we fly.

Just editing to say I could have done without the graphic description above. I'm sure all of us whose hearts are with flying loved ones have thought of those scenerios and are trying very hard not to think about them at the moment. You certainly had the right to say it; I just wish you hadn't.

:grouphug: Susan. I hope that Simon will soon be safely home with you.

THE COLONEL said:
For me the saddest part of this mornings grim news is how it puts peoples petty selfnishess under the microscope.

Clear plastic bags, objections about checking camera kit and lap tops, confusing info available etc etc

I have been astounded to read about the humilation that carrying clearly visible feminine hygiene products would bring. Get real people. It may be an initial over reaction but entirely understandable in circumstances in which the Security services and Government would never be forgiven for getting it wrong. I imagine that many of those now bleating about loss of civil liberties would be among the first to question why such measures werent put in place if god forbid these scum succeeded.

Consider the following scenario. A ban on kiddies toys, comforters, special tommy tippees etc means an uncomfortable journey surrounded by screaming kids. Screams that become a distant memory as they get to see the Magic Kingdom etc

Now imagine if you can the unimaginable. A plane load of screaming kids (and adults) as terrorists explode a device on the plane. Unlikely to be a big all encompassing bang but a small explosion that rips open the fuselage but allows people time to contemplate their impending fate.

I really do apologise for putting it in such graphic terms. Its sad that a website that is underpinned by happiness is evendiscussing these darkest of issues. However some of these bleaters need a reality check.

Thanks for putting it like that. Hopefully some people will see that NOTHING matters as long as we are all kept safe ! I'm happy to tolerate the boredom or screaming kids. Anything rather than the sound of screams of terror!

I hope everyone who is travelling soon has a safe journey, hope you all have great holidays, don't let these lunatics spoil it and i'm am so relieved we are not hearing anything worse on the news and they found these monsters before any attacks happened. I'm glad the security is tight it will be the safest time to fly and i think well worth a few hours delay for peace of mind.

firstly THE COLONEL.. are you travelling this weekend or the early part of next week? If not youre not really in a position to make a judgement as mine would be very different if it wasnt personal.

I wont be taking anything on the plane, but I at least have the compassion to think that there might be some people who might find taking personal items in a see-through bag embarrassing. If youre not one of those people, then great.. but I can assure you that many people might have a different perspective (and you know what.. they are ALLOWED to feel embarrassed too!! Its actually not a crime!).

I dont need to tell you how thrilled I am this plan has been thwarted - that goes without saying.. but I DO have concerns about a few items I wish to carry with me for my son.. and sorry if that means I am selfish and immature (and everything else that I or people who dare mention anything other than whoopee "thank goodness we cant take anything on the plane, I dont care so long as the world is safe ") have been called today. Many of those people quick to judge are not travelling over the next few days.

and Boo, that was what I was trying to say - so you may have agreed with me by accident!

I thought long and hard before posting. I apologise unreservedly to those offended at my depiction of what we have all been thinking.

However my emotions today have ranged from initial shock, fear, anxiety to a current sense of utter exasperation with those small minded people who are bleating about such trivia.

By this evening I will have moved to relief (that as somebody else posted previously) we will not be reading terrible headlines tomorrow.

cleo said:

Cleo and everyone else with family travelling today or tomorrow, I cant imagine how you guys must feel.
I am sure Simon will get home safely tomorrow, but in the meantime.. {{{hugs}}}to you ....

SammieG said:
I am just very upset and worried by the whole thing seeing as we travel in a couple of days only.

Sammie, wishing you all the best for a safe, uneventful flight. I think these security measures are essential but still I understand that you're concerned about your son crying for hours on end looking for his favourite teddy. :hug: No matter how frightening all of this is, the day to day stuff still exists. I just had a thought though - what if you made a little 'bed' for teddy in one of your suitcases and told your son that teddy would be too tired for the flight so he'll be sleeping in his new bed in the case and that all the teddies travel together in a different section of the plane. Maybe your son could help pick a blanket and pillow for teddy to rest on in the case and wave him off just before you check in. Sounds a bit daft but I do know what it's like when the smallies are attached to a particular toy (my 2 year old goes nowhere without her blanky). I'm not in any way complaining about any measures on UK flights, just trying to help a fellow-Mom!

DebIreland, what a thoughtful post. :) THAT'S the sort of thing I keep hoping to see....people helping other people find ways to cope with a terrible situation.

I do fly tomorrow, an internal US flight. I don't LIKE the idea we can't carry anything on the plane with us and I'm certainly not happy about it, but I do understand the need right now and I'm not going to say anything against the decision if it keeps us safer. It isn't a matter of liking it...I doubt most people do....it's just a matter of keeping up with the needs of the moment and making the best of it. It's nice to read someone's thoughts on how to do that.

SammieG said:
firstly THE COLONEL.. are you travelling this weekend or the early part of next week? If not youre not really in a position to make a judgement as mine would be very different if it wasnt personal.

I wont be taking anything on the plane, but I at least have the compassion to think that there might be some people who might find taking personal items in a see-through bag embarrassing. If youre not one of those people, then great.. but I can assure you that many people might have a different perspective (and you know what.. they are ALLOWED to feel embarrassed too!! Its actually not a crime!).

I dont need to tell you how thrilled I am this plan has been thwarted - that goes without saying.. but I DO have concerns about a few items I wish to carry with me for my son.. and sorry if that means I am selfish and immature (and everything else that I or people who dare mention anything other than whoopee "thank goodness we cant take anything on the plane, I dont care so long as the world is safe ") have been called today. Many of those people quick to judge are not travelling over the next few days.

and Boo, that was what I was trying to say - so you may have agreed with me by accident!

For your information I am not flying in the next few weeks. My daughter is however flying to Canada with her grandparents next weekend.The first time she will ever have been away from us for more than 3 nights. This morning she was in tears and refusing to go. We have talked it through and sought to reassure her (she is 10)

The last time we flew to Orlando was the day they caught that chap with a grenade at Gatwick. We experienced the chaos at the airport and were lucky enough to fly out before the airport was temporarily closed. There were people bleating about the terrible inconvenience that day as well.

I dont recall a single posting on this thread that even comes close to "whoopee we cant take anything on the plane". Now that statement does hint of immaturity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter