URGENT!! NO Hand baggage allowed today

SammieG said:
I respectfully disagree with you.
Of course there are procedures in place and always have and will be.. but this is a knee jerk reaction.
They had little time to assess and make decisions so have taken the highest level of security that they can whilst still allowing passengers to fly.

We will see anyway.. If the restrictions are lifted in the next day or two, it was obviously knee jerk. If it stays like this then it wasnt.

Sorry, I have to disagree. Today's events are the culmination of a long period of investigation by the security forces. From the intelligence gathered, today and the next 48 hours are the most critical. If, after 2 or 3 days, the immediate threat has passed, then the security services will be able to stand down the level of security commensurate with the level of threat.

Pres. Bush addressing the US:

Recent arrests are a stark reminder that US at war with Islamic Fascists that will use any means to destroy those of us who love freedom. Thank Tony Blair and their gov't. Cooperation on this venture was excellent, between UK and US officials. This country is safer than it was on 9/11, but obviously not completely safe. People who want to harm us for what we believe in. It is a mistake to think that there is no threat to the people of the United State of America.

Travellers are going to be inconvenienced. Urge their patience.

MSNBC is reporting that the plan could have been as simple as taking a small amount of the liquid and heating it in the airplane's onboard microwave to cause the explosion.

Simple.

Dicky Knee said:
Sorry, I have to disagree. Today's events are the culmination of a long period of investigation by the security forces. From the intelligence gathered, today and the next 48 hours are the most critical. If, after 2 or 3 days, the immediate threat has passed, then the security services will be able to stand down the level of security commensurate with the level of threat.

yes, I agree with all that, but they had to make a snap decision on what action they would be taking right now....

I understand and am not criticising their decision to do that... it was the right thing to do.

However, had there not been the need for urgent action to be taken, they could have thought about what items other than bare essentials would also be permitted. I guarantee you, that there is a team of people doing exactly that right now.

Some items will stay prohibited, and some will not.

We agree more than you would like to think we do :) :thumbsup2

THE COLONEL said:
For your information I am not flying in the next few weeks. My daughter is however flying to Canada with her grandparents next weekend.The first time she will ever have been away from us for more than 3 nights. This morning she was in tears and refusing to go. We have talked it through and sought to reassure her (she is 10)

The last time we flew to Orlando was the day they caught that chap with a grenade at Gatwick. We experienced the chaos at the airport and were lucky enough to fly out before the airport was temporarily closed. There were people bleating about the terrible inconvenience that day as well.

I dont recall a single posting on this thread that even comes close to "whoopee we cant take anything on the plane". Now that statement does hint of immaturity.

Firstly, I hope that youre daughter gets out to Canada ok.
I dont think I would want to make the decision whether to send her or not.. so good luck in whatever your decision is with her.

I am not "bleating about the terrible inconvenience" - I am just saying that I dont feel it is necessary to impose such severe restrictions. Yes, step up security.. that is good..
yes, do what you need to do to keep us safe - thats great too.

Not allowing baby food on the plane is a bit extreme. Only allowing 10 wipes is a bit extreme. God help us, someone might take 11 wipes! ;)
Not allowing toys on the plane (yes check them first if you want to) is a bit extreme.
Not allowing any food on the plane (yes check that first too if necessary) is a bit extreme. I am happy to wait in line for hours to get my sons bottle of water and pooh bear and bag of sealed crisps checked out if necessary. I dont mind one bit being inconvenienced.
Also, youre all correct, in the general scheme of things, its NOT THAT IMPORTANT.. i just think they have gone a bit overboard on the restrictions.

Yes, I can understand not taking liquids on board.. but a spare t shirt? a plaster? a soft toy (not containing explosives)?

None of those items are of any more risk today than they were yesterday.
Expolosives have always potentially been hidden in toys etc.. that hasnt changed today.. nor will it tomorrow if they lift the ban. :confused3

and also I'm glad you got my tongue in cheek point about peoples attitude to not taking anything on the plane. ;) ;) ;)

THE COLONEL said:
How on earth would the death penalty deter people who intend on killing themselves as well!!!!!!!

How do you hang a suicide bomber ?

Frightening times indeed. We have to trust our security services to weed out these scum but I cant help but recall the words of the IRA after Brighton. We only need to get lucky once. You have to be lucky all the time.

wasnt wanting a verbal lashing,obviously the ones who kill themselves die anyhow I was meaning the ones they catch such as the shoe bomber richard reid, who didnt mange to kill himself but would have taken a whole plane down. he deserves it,

I arnt here to fight goodness knows we should be support to each other at these times

SammieG said:
firstly THE COLONEL.. are you travelling this weekend or the early part of next week? If not youre not really in a position to make a judgement as mine would be very different if it wasnt personal.

I wont be taking anything on the plane, but I at least have the compassion to think that there might be some people who might find taking personal items in a see-through bag embarrassing. If youre not one of those people, then great.. but I can assure you that many people might have a different perspective (and you know what.. they are ALLOWED to feel embarrassed too!! Its actually not a crime!).

I dont need to tell you how thrilled I am this plan has been thwarted - that goes without saying.. but I DO have concerns about a few items I wish to carry with me for my son.. and sorry if that means I am selfish and immature (and everything else that I or people who dare mention anything other than whoopee "thank goodness we cant take anything on the plane, I dont care so long as the world is safe ") have been called today. Many of those people quick to judge are not travelling over the next few days.

and Boo, that was what I was trying to say - so you may have agreed with me by accident!

I will be traveling in the next few days (YIPPEE - can't wait) so I feel that I can speak from my own thoughts and feelings and decisions I have made today just to deal with this situation.

My children will have to do without the assorted paraphernalia we typically bring along. I've decided to leave my laptop and digital camera home rather than chance it being stolen from our luggage (so no DVDs, computer games, etc.). The kids can't bring anything along with them (I'm not sure if a book is not allowed - I will allow them to bring a paperback book with the knowledge they may be asked to leave it behind). I will purchase disposable cameras while in FL for photo ops. And, on the off chance I happen to have my period - I will carry several slim pads in my back pocket - they're so tiny anyway, I can't imagine what the big deal is. I will carry only my wallet, prescription medication and travel papers in a ziploc bag. All else will either be packed in our checked luggage.

As an aside - many years ago I was returning from the Bahamas (freeport). One of the gentleman checking our bags as we were leaving (I'm not sure what agency he was with but he was Bahamian) literally ripped open the box of tampons I was carrying with me and inspected each package of each individual tampon - it was bizarre (and I was young - late teens, early 20s and moderately embarassed but more nervous becuase I couldnt' figure out what in heaven's name he was looking for). Apparently, women at the time were buying tons of jewelry and rather than pay the fees, they were hiding the pieces inside the tampon applicator and putting them back in their original packaging. The logic - no one would bother looking closely at a tampon because it's "embarassing" and "personal".

Imagine what a terrorist could do with a tampon applicator. It will help lessen any embarassment any lady may feel.

There are ways to make adjustments and follow the new regulations. Go online and find "travel car" games to play with your children - there are many letter and number games that do not require any supplies. You can make tic-tac-toe boards out of loose change or nuts/chips given out on board and imaginary lines drawn on tray tables. There are so many ways to entertain children - if you want to actually deal with them.

The last several times I traveled with my daughter (now 7 years old) - she never opened her travel bag - we simply played hangman (one pen and some paper was all we needed - I'm sure napkins would suffice). We also really enjoyed the time to sit and talk and snuggle - we're always so busy when we're home - being forced to be together was a welcome treat for both of us.

One could ship their valuables (camera, laptop, etc.) directly to their hotel (using FedEx or UPS) and have them waiting for them upon their arrival (and return them back home using the same method). There are so many ways to work around these new rules if one simply takes the time to stop overreacting and begins thinking clearly about the different options.

I have seen plenty of parents on board of flights of varying lengths with bags and bags of activities, snacks, gameboys, etc. and the kids were still acting up and disatisfied.

Anyway - I'm going on and on. I think those of us that are telling others to get things in perspective do so not to criticize, but to drive home the fact that this is our new reality. We all MUST deal with it. Otherwise, you may as well never leave your home.

I did'nt know you could'nt take baby food what are you suposed to give them.Also my son has sodium chloride in his bottle which comes in a glass bottle will we be able to take this on board.
Claire

I am sure if it is sealed then they should allow it on especially infants who are on forumla milk. I think the press has made over emphasized on what we can or cant take. Phone your airline. Is your sodium Chloride prescribed? If so get a doctors note and ensure its sealed.

Are we allowed to take pens to fill out the green immigration forms? You know it gets worse and worse. As I said speak to your airline they will be able to give you up to date information.

clairelovesorlando said:
I did'nt know you could'nt take baby food what are you suposed to give them.Also my son has sodium chloride in his bottle which comes in a glass bottle will we be able to take this on board.
Claire

I think that partly the problem is that things are a little patchy and transient at the moment.

At present from my understanding you cannot take baby food. You may take 2 bottles of baby milk but have to drink some of them to show that they are not contaminated.

You may not be permitted to take prescription medicines that are liquid.

However, as we all know, this is probably going to change over the next few days and I suspect that some of these restrictions may be lifted.

I dont know what they expect you to do instead -

There are still an awful lot of unanswered questions... which will get answered over the next few days.

I understand your concerns...and sympathise {{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}
hopefully we will have the answers soon.

Hi,
Looks like the delays at Gatwick were worse than VA anticipated:

Flight number VS 027
Departure date 10 Aug 2006
Route London (LGW) to Orlando (MCO)
Scheduled departure time 10 Aug 11:15
Actual departure time 10 Aug 17:45
Scheduled arrival time 10 Aug 15:25
Estimated arrival time 10 Aug 21:26

Far be for me to trivialise such a serious matter but I guess anyone who uses film cameras will need to get their pictures developed in the USA as their hold luggage screening damages film. Not sure if the UK screening does this if so you will need to buy film when you arrive in the USA. Also not sure about video tape.?
Just my opinion here and again not meant to trivialise a horrible situation but if your like me I don't have any friends or relatives who have suffered at the hands of terrorists but I know plenty who have died in motor accidents. Just trying to put some perspective on the issue.

Mick.

:smooth:

My son has to have his sodium it is prescribed by the doctor it is'nt something he can take it or leave it so hopefully it will be ok or we will not be going,we will just have to wait and see.
Claire

8 of us - me, DH, DD and partner, DS and partner, DS (13) and 12 year old niece - are off to WDW on Saturday (VS015) and whilst we're not happy about the delays and absence of hand luggage, we're totally resigned to it. I happen to agree with those who say it's got to be one of the safest times to travel so hadn't for a moment thought about cancelling the trip. Unfortunately my sister-in-law (already emotional as her only child will be away from her for two weeks) doesn't see it that way. She has been so upset by today's news that the thought of her daughter flying on Saturday is freaking her out completely. I've just had a very tearful phone conversation with her that went nowhere and I'm still unsure whether or not our niece is going to get her first WDW experience after all...

Hubbie has jost told me that on BBC Radio 1 today, there was a whole load of people who rang in to the show and said they were unable to fly to London from Glasgow today to attend Madonna's concert tonight in London. Apperently they hired a minivan and were driving down instead, but didn't think they would make it in time for the start. They asked if the DJ could put a plea out to delay the start :rotfl2:

Crazy thing is, Madonna rang up and said "No problem, concert start time will move to 8.30-9pm" :lmao: :lmao:

Apparently she is good friends with this particular DJ and I suppose there will be quite a few people who will be late due to all the travel disruptions. Pretty nice of her though!

I'm less exasperated at last. My daughter has overcome the tears of this morning and will (fingers crossed) be jetting off to Toronto next Saturday.

Still firmly on the side of the Security Service measures put in place today. Hopefully a definitive view will emerge over the next few days, especially in respect of details as to what these scum were going to use in this plot.

Have heard unconfirmed reports that they were intending to use a wide variety of apparently inocuous items.

Sammie G -I hope you have a wonderful holiday that confines the events of today and the emotions stirred up into a rapidly fading memory.

Cleo- I hope that Simon returns to you safely in one piece. If there was single person involved with these boards I would like to upset least it would be a member of the Veness family.

To everyone that has friends and family flying today, and over the next few days, I wish you all very safe journeys (I include myself in that ;) )

It is a bit inconvenient that I can't take Gameboys, books, snacks etc on the plane, but in all honesty I'm sure the time will pass by just fine without them.

All I can say is, thank God this slight inconvenience is all I have to deal with and not a worse alternative.

:grouphug:

Miffy2003 said:
To everyone that has friends and family flying today, and over the next few days, I wish you all very safe journeys (I include myself in that ;) )

It is a bit inconvenient that I can't take Gameboys, books, snacks etc on the plane, but in all honesty I'm sure the time will pass by just fine without them.

All I can say is, thank God this slight inconvenience is all I have to deal with and not a worse alternative.

Well said. :thumbsup2

just wanted to give :grouphug: to all who are trvaling soon.We have friends who fly from glasgow saturday.We go next weekend have been thinkung that they might relax onflight bags by then.(have been at work all day and worked late so not had much news)But after watching news think it will be in place for the next couple of mionths :sad2:.Has anyone heard if tylight checkin is stil avalable as i think this can cut down wait times,not just for the person doing it but outher people who dont.It is still showing on BMIs web site.What with the stress and mither of DFIL and DMIL not being able to come then this been a bad week
Paulh

Everyone stay safe and for those of you traveling to WDW - we will welcome your arrival.......Congrats to your police and security for catching the terrorists!!! :thumbsup2

Good Luck to the parents with little ones...

spm23 said:
Hope we do get away tomorrow as planned but if not, desperate to go Saturday as we have save the pennies hard and are supposed to be on the Disney Cruise that sails on Sunday.....

Not sure how my insurance will work for that or for my Disney points I am using tomorrow night and Saturday night, probably not knowing my luck.

Fingers crossed and prayer mats out.

Not a lot we can do but be patient and be thankful that its a precaution and for the right reasons. (hope my teenagers understand that tomorrow :confused3 )

Crossing my fingers that you and the family get here safe and sound. Looking forward to meeting everyone up on deck 10 Sunday at sailaway! :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter