verandah and a 2.5 year old makes me nervous!

addie

Mouseketeer
Have you cruised with a climbing 2.5 year old? My 2 year old can climb anything, and I am having nightmares about him climbing over the verandah, or somehow getting out of the kids club, or flounders and falling off the ship.

Will I be able to sleep at night, or will I be awake making sure he does not wake up and somehow sneek outside?

I have never cruised with kids before, so someone please tell me it will be ok.

Thanks!

You didnt mention if you had a navagators verhanda or a regular one but I will do my best including both:) The Navagators one would be kinda difficult for him to get out of, as its a rather large porthole type thing up about 4 feet, without anything to help him up to it. The regular might be a bit more "climbable" but I doubt he would be able to get over it. The door to the verandas will lock so you can do that at nite to prevent him from getting out there...also maybe bring something to put in the tracks to stop it, and I would supervise him during the day on it. And caution him as much as possible that it is one of those "DANGER" things. As far as other areas of the ship...The clubs are so closely watched that it would be rather difficult for him to escape from them. The Cast Members in this area are known for their skill and he prob wouldnt want to leave anyways. The decks of the ships are rather safe(sure anything can happen) but I cant see you having a problem there. I have yet to here of anyone going overboard! Hopefully never will. Hope this helped.
Aimee

It'll be okay! There isn't anything to climb on the inside of the verandah. It's smooth.

My 2 year old stood on the little table once & still didn't reach much over the top of the railing.

The doors have a lock too high for the little ones to reach, and you'll probably leave your door closed unless you're out there yourself. We did, and I'd advise it with a toddler!

The locks on the sliding door to the verandah are located up high on the door and out of reach of small children. I wouldn't worry.

Even if the lock isn't on the door it is hard to open so I don't think a toddler would have the strength (even if they could reach the handle which I don't think they can). As for the kids club he's at an age where he can't sign himself out and they have someone who sits at the desk by the door - he won't get out on his own. Don't worry and enjoy the cruise (and you can enjoy the veranda when he's sleeping)!

Originally posted by addie
I am having nightmares about him climbing over the verandah, or somehow getting out of the kids club, or flounders and falling off the ship.

I had those SAME nightmares!!
We recently cruised with an 8 yr old and 6 yr old. While they are "old enough to understand the danger" we still didn't let them romp around on the verandah without us there. They are both about 45 inches high and had to be on their tip toes to even see over the top of the railing.
I'd also, as other posters have, encourage the use of the security lock on the top of the verandah door.

Our lock didn't lock that was on the top but there was no way my 3 year old could have puuled that door open, they are heavy.

I had the same exact nightmares!!! And true to form - my 21 month old climber - in a matter of seconds pulled that little table to the rail, was up on it - and couldn't do a thing afterwards but wave.....there really is nothing to get footing on.

Still, the table disappeared with the host that afternoon....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter