Vero Beach 2014 Information & Adoration Thread

How is the shell collecting? Should I bring my mesh bag for walking along the beach? (That is how it is done in Sanibel.)

And, is it rocky - should I bring beach shoes? Or, are Crocs and/or barefoot ok?

How is the shell collecting? Should I bring my mesh bag for walking along the beach? (That is how it is done in Sanibel.) And, is it rocky - should I bring beach shoes? Or, are Crocs and/or barefoot ok?
Shells are ok...mostly clam and scallop type. It's not rocky and I don't mind barefoot but always pack water shoes for my husband. I never used a mesh bag until this past trip when I bought a sand pail that was packaged in mesh. The cast member who was working the gift shop told me to do that and I thought it was a great idea! Awesome for getting sand out of the shells.

Shells are ok...mostly clam and scallop type. It's not rocky and I don't mind barefoot but always pack water shoes for my husband. I never used a mesh bag until this past trip when I bought a sand pail that was packaged in mesh. The cast member who was working the gift shop told me to do that and I thought it was a great idea! Awesome for getting sand out of the shells.

Thanks! I will bring them. Wasn't sure how it is in Vero. We learned from many shelling trips to Sanibel Island, FL, about the mesh bag and I even have a little net that I use to scoop shells out of the water.

How is the shell collecting? Should I bring my mesh bag for walking along the beach? (That is how it is done in Sanibel.)

And, is it rocky - should I bring beach shoes? Or, are Crocs and/or barefoot ok?

Here are some from one day on our last trip, the other days there were hardly anything decent to be found

We are here now. We arrived about 1PM on Friday 10/31 from 5 nights at WDW. Our OVIR was ready. We unloaded the car and headed out to Hale's Orchid for the BEST fresh OJ and fruit and then onto Publix for supplies. We settled in and DH headed to the beach for a swim.
The weather has changed since our stay in Orlando. Saturday we went to the beach and rented loungers and an umbrella from the Green Cabin. Tino came down as we were setting up and asked us to sit in a Cabana rather than under the umbrella, as the wind was breaking his umbrellas. It was Windy. About 90 minutes later he came and told us that the wind was changing directions and picking up and he needed us to leave the beach (1:30PM). So we went up to the pool. But it was WINDY and cool in the shade. We came in about 4.
We ate Friday night at Shutters and it was good. We ate Saturday night at Sonya's and it was outstanding.
Today was cool and windy again. It was 43 when I got up and 59 when we headed to the beach about 11. We were under the cabana for about 3 hours, but came up from the beach because it was windy and cool.
Forecast is for increasing clouds but warming up a bit this week.

So we are up this morning. It is 52 at 8:30, but predicted to go into the 70's. It snowed at home yesterday, so I am not going to complain. It is a filtered sun this morning, there are lots of high clouds. Not sure how much of a beach day it is going to be.
We were going to go to Squid Lips for dinner, but ended up watching our Pats beat Denver on TV.
So we just headed to the Green Cabin Room for a bit of dinner. I enjoyed the
turkey wrap and DH very much enjoyed the cheese burger.
This is our 4th trip to Vero Beach and we have never seen the Ocean "angrier". It is wild. We commented on it last night about sunset, but I think it is even rougher this AM. I can not see the color flags at the public guarded beach from my balcony, but they were red flags yesterday afternoon. I would be surprised if they were anything else this morning.

I am so glad someone mentioned Hale's Orchard!! They are the best for sure. Can't wait to stay in VB in January!

What is Hale's Orchard?

I first learned about Hales though ads in newspapers, and they take mail orders for FL oranges and other items. They have a store on Rt. 1 just north of Disney's Vero Beach...not A1A, go to route 1 and go north about 1-2 miles. The retail store is on the right as you head north.

They really have the best freshly squeeze OJ that I have ever had.

They are not cheap...but they are good!

Bobbi:goodvibes

PS. When I am in Orlando, I go to White's Red Hill Groves.
http://www.floridajuice.com/white-s-red-hill-groves-inc
During December they have had a delicious red flesh navel orange. They do not send them, but I do try to stop there every December to get a bag.

Yesterday I booked a week for April 2015! Huge score has it is our dd's school vacation week and right before a DCL cruise. It does leave out of Miami, so it will be a bit of drive....but I'm still happy! We went for a week about 5 years ago and loved it, have always wanted to return.

Last year, we NEVER left he resort. Just one quick trip to a local pharmacy and grocery store. This time I do want to get out an explore a bit.

A couple of questions:
1. Has anyone done the drive from VB to Miami port? If so, about how long?
2. I recall a character breakfast...do they still have?
3. When we went last time, someone from DIS organized a beach chair umbrella pool. Basically, she collected the names of all people she could. Purchased the chairs/umbrella online and sent them to resort. We mailed her money. Does this still happen on DIS?
4. Any grocery delivery services in the area you would recommend?

Yesterday I booked a week for April 2015! Huge score has it is our dd's school vacation week and right before a DCL cruise. It does leave out of Miami, so it will be a bit of drive....but I'm still happy! We went for a week about 5 years ago and loved it, have always wanted to return.

Last year, we NEVER left he resort. Just one quick trip to a local pharmacy and grocery store. This time I do want to get out an explore a bit.

A couple of questions:
1. Has anyone done the drive from VB to Miami port? If so, about how long?
2. I recall a character breakfast...do they still have?
3. When we went last time, someone from DIS organized a beach chair umbrella pool. Basically, she collected the names of all people she could. Purchased the chairs/umbrella online and sent them to resort. We mailed her money. Does this still happen on DIS?
4. Any grocery delivery services in the area you would recommend?

There is still a character breakfast on Saturday mornings.
The chair swap was stopped a few years ago. Some DISers do private pass ons that you will see here. But I am not sure if Bell Services will store any waiting for a guest to check in.

Recently back from Vero and already missing it. Thanks to everyone who mentioned Squidlips! We grabbed a Groupon before we went and had a wonderful mid-afternoon meal overlooking the water. DH is already talking about going back there and maybe also trying Captain Hirams.

It could not have been a better 6 day vacation - wonderful cast members, a fantastic ocean view room, great food, relaxing atmosphere, onsite spa and it is close to a Dooney & Bourke outlet. Oh, yeah, did I mention Dole Whip w/spiced rum at the pool? It was perfect. I can see why everyone loves this resort.

We are home from our 5 night WDW and 6 night Vero Beach vacation. We had a wonderful vacation.
The wind died down on Wednesday and DH did swim in the ocean. Red flag still up, so he shouldn't have, but he did.
I wanted to mention our dinner at Sonja's. It was wonderful. My DH had the "catch of the day" and I had seared sea scallops. It was wonderful. I encourage all adult parties to try Sonja's

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter