Very Merry or Not it was Christmas 2022

darnheather

DIS Veteran
Who: Me (late 40's) and Izzy (youngest daughter 16)

Ship: Disney Magic

Embarkation: December 23, 2022, Galveston, TX

Length: 4 nights

Days 1 and 2 of Travel. Cruise day 00

I booked this cruise last July after many cancelled cruises due to you know what. I've wanted to go on a Christmas themed cruise since we began cruising and because I'm in graduate school my ability to travel is limited.

I told Izzy the Friday before we left for the cruise. She was shocked and not terribly excited. She did get excited later though.

We left December 21 and drove to Washington, DC. First stop was Georgetown cupcakes for a few sweet treats. Then to Hilton Crystal City which was very nice. Our room was on the 10th floor, clean spacious, and quiet. Because we'd never tried it before we ordered Ethiopian food from Grubhub. It was delicious though neither of us liked the bread. Alarm set for 4am we went to sleep early.

We were downstairs at 415 the next morning to catch the first shuttle to Reagan Airport. There was already a line and the weather was super cold. We were the last people on the shuttle and got to the airport in about 5 minutes. I was a bit of a mess as it had been nearly 4 years since flying a major airline and didn't know we'd do all the checking in (including baggage) without help. While we didn't get seats next to each other she was next to a mom and little girl which worked out great as she slept most of the time.

Arrived at Bush on time and had over an hour wait for Galveston Limo. We were tired but the van was comfortable and Izzy fell asleep again. There were only 4 of us in the van that would have seated 16. Though I had ordered the transport to the port the driver took us directly to the hotel.

In Galveston we stayed at the Best Western Seawall which is brand new and very nice for the price. Our room wasn't ready and the weather was lovely so we walked to lunch at Whataburger which was the start of vacation for me! Chocolate malt for the win! For dinner we ordered Thai from Grubhub and watched tv until bedtime.

Other than the hour wait how was Glavaston Limo? We are trying to figure out if we should do an Uber to the port or car service. Was it expensive?

Our trip is this Friday. So can’t wait to hear more of your trip report.

Other than the hour wait how was Glavaston Limo? We are trying to figure out if we should do an Uber to the port or car service. Was it expensive?

Our trip is this Friday. So can’t wait to hear more of your trip report.
Really great service. For just the two of us it was cheaper than Uber/Lyft. The driver saw us walking to lunch and happily offered to drive us. The driver back was also super friendly.

Day 3 of Travel. Cruise day 1.

Took the morning leisurely with breakfast in the hotel. Asked for a Lyft at 11am and it took about 20 minutes for someone to pick us up but we still got to the terminal right at our PAT of 1130.

Wow is that an ugly terminal. LOL Nothing like the gorgeous PC. But we walked right through all the lines and arrived upstairs as our boarding number (5) was called. Took a few pictures and walked down the gangway.

2022-12-23 - Disney Magic - Disney Cruise Line_2.jpeg

When we were announced and walked into the atrium I teared up because I felt like I was home again. Everything was gorgeous and overwhelming simultaneously. Headed over to look at the gingerbread house before heading upstairs for our traditional Cabanas lunch of shrimp and crab for me and a little of this a little of that for her.
2022-12-26 - Disney Magic - Disney Cruise Line.jpeg

Thankfully, it wasn't too crowded because it was way too cold to sit outside. After lunch we went to the Vibe for her to meet the counselors. It was her first time being in that club and she was so excited for that. We played some video games and chilled until it was time for the room to open. She stayed in the club and I went down to decorate and unpack.

I don't know if the walls are not as magnetic on the Magic as they are on the Wonder, but my magnets from the last cruise did not work on the walls. I did put up some things on the back of the door and put our magnets on the front of the door and put up the FE. Of course I forgot to take a photo of all of that. I had made really cute stocking magnets. Bummer.

Our first dinner was in Rapunzel's which was incredibly gorgeous. We met some of our table mates that night, another single mom with a daughter who was about 10. The food was also really good and probably our favorite of the cruise and the show was great though I was disappointed that the characters didn't stop by for photos like they did when we visited Tiana's pre-Covid.

After dinner we met back up at Rapunzel the Musical which had changed a little since we last saw it but we both enjoyed it. Izzy was tired and went to sleep when I did.

Overall a great day.

Look at that Gingerbread house I can’t even get a small one to look decent…lol

Do they have a lot of signage to tell you where to go or people directing you? P.C is so nice and very Disney probably miss the ears to walk though.

Look at that Gingerbread house I can’t even get a small one to look decent…lol

Do they have a lot of signage to tell you where to go or people directing you? P.C is so nice and very Disney probably miss the ears to walk though.
Lots of people. Didn't really notice signage as we were dropped right at the luggage drop and the entrance is right next door. Very easy just not pretty.

Reactions: NAB

I tested positive for Covid today. This is my second time and I had all four shots. Izzy is still fine. Obviously, I could have gotten it somewhere since we came home. Very tired so I probably won't update anymore today. :(

I tested positive for Covid today. This is my second time and I had all four shots. Izzy is still fine. Obviously, I could have gotten it somewhere since we came home. Very tired so I probably won't update anymore today. :(
Oh know sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better soon.

I have been lucky so far and haven’t got it . Know you can still get it with your shots but not as bad they say. I have 5 shots now.

Forgot that I saw Daisy before the show. I love meeting the characters and getting photos, but probably won't do the package again since Izzy is no longer into it. We got some really great ones this time but next time I'll probably just buy a few at the end of the cruise.

For dinner at Rapunzel's I had the Snuggly Duckling platter (4/5 stars), Triovoli Ravioli (3/5), pasta with scallops (5/5), and fry pan dessert (5/5). Izzy had soup and pasta without scallops.

2022-12-24 - Disney Magic - Disney Magic_14.jpeg

Day 4 of Travel. Cruise day 2. Christmas Eve/Pirate Night

We were in cabin 6305 which is forward port side. Even though this stateroom is on the "outside" of the ship there is no porthole. This is as far forward as we have ever stayed, but I didn't notice any difference. The seas were very rough the first two nights and then calmed after Cozumel. Izzy said the sleeper sofa was fine and better than sharing the bed with me. Apparently I twitch in my sleep quite a lot.

I left Izzy sleeping around 8am to go to Cabanas for breakfast. I usually love the eggs Benedict but this morning the sauce was cold. :( The coffee was worse than I remembered so I ended up going to Cove Cafe for a paid coffee.

At some point during the day I saw Minnie in her Christmas sweater which was very fun.
minnie smaller.jpg

I also got to ask Santa for an A/B report card. He was skeptical but said if I worked hard he'd try.
2022-12-24 - Disney Magic - Disney Cruise Line_13.jpeg

Even though the weather was not great I went for a walk on deck four and unfortunately ran into someone smoking. I asked him to put it out and he refused saying it was a smoking section. Well it is at night but this was around 1130 am. I've never in the four cruises had a problem with smokers but this guy was a real jerk. I went in and got a cast member to handle it. Just more proof that the vibe was off for me this time. :(

We were in Lumiere's for dinner. I had French onion soup (3/5), farmhouse salad (3/5), brie (4/5), lamb (5/5), and grand marnier souffle (3/5). I think Izzy had steak.
2022-12-25 - Disney Magic - Disney Magic_11.jpeg

After dinner tried to go to the tree lightening but the atrium was completely paced on all three floors. So I went back to the room, filled the stockings, and read until I fell asleep.

Day 5 of Travel. Cruise day 3. Christmas Day/Cozumel

Woke up to the rain coming in sideways in Cozumel. All excursions were cancelled but a few brave people were getting off the ship. I went up to Cove Cafe and got coffees and treats for Izzy and I to have for breakfast while opening gifts.

Additional activities were added but not enough character meet and greats. All of them had long lines 15 minutes before start time, so I missed Mickey with his Santa suit and several others.

I watched Disenchanted in the Wal Disney Theater and really liked it. Afterward I grabbed lunch from Cabanas. The day's special was Indonesian but I ended up not liking it. The small Christmas cookies however were delicious.

In the afternoon Izzy and I got these adorable added magic photos in Rapunzel's.
2022-12-27 - Disney Magic - Disney Magic_2.jpeg
2022-12-27 - Disney Magic - Disney Magic.jpeg

As we left Cozumel the Sail a Wave party went on in the atrium and was fun though again very crowded. I managed to find a small space to dance at the side.

Before dinner we had to wait almost an hour for formal photos even though we were only the fourth family in line. One family had just two people waiting in the line but when their turn came they called over around 15 more people and proceeded to take every combination of photo imaginable. I don't know how or if DCL could have handled this situation better but it was frustrating for me and caused Izzy to become anxious. She did not want to disappoint our servers by being late. :( However, we got what I think is the most beautiful picture of the entire trip.
2022-12-25 - Disney Magic - Disney Magic_6.jpeg

We repeated Lumiere's with the Holiday menu. Izzy ordered the ham and I the turkey and shared. Both were really good but ham is always my favorite. She had the yule log and I had the panecotte sundae (2/5) for dessert.

I think this was the night they had the Pirate's in the Caribbean in the atrium between seatings but it could have been the last night. Anyway far too crowded for me.

Day 6 of Travel. Cruise day 4.

Not a lot going on today.

I had breakfast out on the aft deck of Cabanas as the weather was finally nice. It got colder as the day went on. Lunch special was Indian food and so good! My favorite. Next cruise we will ask our servers for Indian food to be served on Pirate night because that is our least favorite menu.

I read on the adult deck and walked on deck four. Finally, I got to see Mickey. We had a lot of fun exchanging kisses and then pretending that Minnie had seen us.
2022-12-26 - Disney Magic - Disney Magic_3.jpeg2022-12-26 - Disney Magic - Disney Magic_5.jpeg
2022-12-26 - Disney Magic - Disney Magic_4.jpeg

Dinner was in Animator's Palette but no show. :( I didn't know there wouldn't be one on a four night cruise. I ordered the Blueberrilicious cocktail (3/5),bblack truffle pasta pursettes (4/5) jumbo shrimp salad (5/5) for dinner and asked for two chocolate chip cookies and a Mickey bar for dessert 5!/5)

Finished packing and put the suitcase outside the door with a lot of tears.

Izzy came in late saying she'd won homecoming person in the Vibe. She was excited and sad.

I agree that the photo of you and your daughter by the fireplace is so beautiful !
Glad you are feeling well enough to post the trip report.

Any more photos you would like to share I highly enjoy looking at your pictures and reading your report. I see you wearing a pirate shirt one night with the Christmas characters out. They combine Christmas night and pirate night?

We were on the same cruise. We were at Animators Palate 2nd(pirate night) and 3rd(Christmas night) night of the cruise. They did the animators palate show on the 1st night we were in there (2nd night of the cruise which was pirate night).

Nice review and pics! We found Wonder walls and doors not as magnetic as Fantasy. I hear you with the pics, some larger groups taking many many combo pictures can take a while.

Any more photos you would like to share I highly enjoy looking at your pictures and reading your report. I see you wearing a pirate shirt one night with the Christmas characters out. They combine Christmas night and pirate night?
Thank you. Pirate night was Christmas Eve. Originally it was scheduled for Christmas but thankfully they changed it.2022-12-23 - Disney Magic - Disney Magic.jpeg
2022-12-24 - Disney Magic - Disney Magic_3.jpeg2022-12-25 - Disney Magic - Disney Magic_3.jpeg

Day 7 of Travel. Cruise day disembarkation.

Up early with a few tears and breakfast in Animator's Palette. I had French toast (5/5) and Izzy had a bagel with cream cheese and bacon. Several cups of coffee which was actually better than in Cabanas but maybe I was just more tired. The shuttle wasn't picking us up until 1030 so we just sat in the big portholes in the after hours area and relaxed.

I forgot to mention earlier but our sound machine was taken at the start of the cruise. We'd taken it on our previous cruises but maybe it is too old now? We picked it up after getting through customs and getting the suitcase. I'll probably pick up a newer battery operated one for the next cruise as Izzy really has to have it and we used an app on my phone to some success but it wasn't perfect.

Weather was sunny when we got outside and the shuttle came early at around 10. Since we were the only two for that time we took off early for the airport. We went straight to the KLM lounge but they were shutting in 15 minutes and we were told Air France would take us at 1245. In between we went and found the USO dreaming of the yummy food and champagne waiting in the lounge. We got to the Air France lounge at 1250 and they were full. :( I was pretty upset as we had more than 4 hours to wait and I was really looking forward to the lounge. Instead I bought some food for Deniz and myself and we took it back to the USO. I am really thankful for them and the comfy chairs we were able to wait in but at the time I was bummed.

Flight back was fine. Got the shuttle back to the hotel and getting the car and driving home was easy.

Would I go on another Merry Time? I think so. I did like not having to cook or clean for the holiday! But I certainly wouldn't be basing it on the opportunity to experience the Merry Time specific activities. I am looking forward to trying out the Fantasy next summer and hoping we get to keep our fall trip on the Dream to finally complete the grand slam that was canceled by Covid.
2022-12-24 - Disney Magic - Disney Cruise Line_3.jpeg

I know it’s been a while but thank you for sharing your trip! I’m thinking of maybe booking one over Christmas if my kids aren’t with me so this is super useful

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter