• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Virgin strike ballot to be within 2 weeks

Obi Wan Kenobi

DIS Veteran
Still not official, but I am hearing that the Virgin Cabin crew have voted no to the latest pay offer which means a strike ballot next.
Not good news.
As soon as I get more infor I will post.

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM--(Marketwire - Nov. 2, 2007) - Virgin Atlantic cabin crew have voted to reject the company's latest pay offer. Unite the Union has today written to give notice to Virgin Atlantic that the union will ballot its members for strike action.

The staff believe that they have been undervalued for too long by Virgin. Their pay considerably lags behind the pay of cabin crew staff working for British Airways who can earn up to GBP 10K more than Virgin cabin crew flying the same business routes. On holiday routes Virgin cabin crew also earn considerably less than their competitors.

In a clear majority, 60% of Virgin's cabin crew voted to reject the company's latest pay offer. Virgin have offered a two year deal where cabin crew staff would receive 4.8% in the first year (from April 2007) and RPI in the second year (from April 2008).

Unite National Officer, Brian Boyd, says:
"Virgin Atlantic cabin crew believe that their professionalism and dedication has been undervalued for far too long. On the same business routes, cabin crew at British Airways can earn GBP 10K more than the cabin crew at Virgin.

"Unite is calling upon Virgin Atlantic to deliver a long term solution to this problem. It has gone on for too long and our members have had enough. Unite has written to the company today to inform them that the union will ballot its members for strike action within the next two weeks."

Unite has 3200 members at Virgin Atlantic.

Obi would this mean a complete shutdown on all Virgin flights or major delays????

Oh just great!!! 3 weeks on Sunday we are supposed to be flying.

...Unite has written to the company today to inform them that the union will ballot its members for strike action within the next two weeks."

Unite has 3200 members at Virgin Atlantic.

Does that mean Unite will ballot 'within the next two weeks', or that the strike action, if it happens, will be 'within the next two weeks'?

Oh just great!!! 3 weeks on Sunday we are supposed to be flying.

And we fly out the day after-hopefully it will take as long as it does for our union to ballot for a strike and it will be after we've gone-not bothered if I can't come home again! (My union started balloting in September and the closing date for the ballot was 31/10, then I believe the union is supposed to give so much notice, so it may be 3-4 weeks)

Thinking about anyone flying about that time and hoping for a quick resolution so there is no disruptions to flights.
Best wishes that all flights go without a hitch.

My understanding is that the union has to ballot its union members after giving Virgin 7 days notice (so next friday ballot papers go out) they then have to stipulate a return date for those papers, so possibly another week.
the action then if voted for has to start within four weeks from that date.

Thanks your *&*^&&^%$%£ Just when we are flying for our major holiday of the year!

I can only comment for myself, but if this happens and they ruin my holiday after the year I have had they can take their militant union and airline and shove it where the sun don't shine :mad: :mad:

I make a point of not using companies services if they go on strike. i suffered too much in the seventies due to Red Robbo to have any sympathy whatsoever.

Interesting. When we flew out on the 19th October the cabin crew apologised for being understaffed. However, we got what was probably the best service in years from them.:thumbsup2

However, when we came back on 29th October they had a full cabin crew. These were about the biggest bunch of miserable sinners (barring the crew on first choice from Cyprus) I have ever come across on an airline.:sad2: I don't think "smile" was in their vocabulary.

I wonder if they had heard "whispers" in-between.

Hopefully they don't spoil your holiday Obi.

Great:mad:

So probably we could be caught up in all this as well, we fly out on 15th Nov and return on 29th Nov:headache:

Karina

We fly on the 7th December. Do you think it will be sorted out by then. I sooo hope they do. This is the first xmas break we have had. With children I hate to have to worry about strikes.

Would this mean cancellation in flights or serious delays???

I was really worried about it affecting our holidays but we have been and are now back! I really hope things are sorted out for all the people due to fly in the next few weeks, especially fellow Dissers.

Same here! Just give them what they want Richard ;)

We're flying 10.25 from Manchester.:banana:

We fly on the 7th December. Do you think it will be sorted out by then. I sooo hope they do. This is the first xmas break we have had. With children I hate to have to worry about strikes.

Would this mean cancellation in flights or serious delays???

I presume VA and VH will sort out replacement flights, but I fear it wont be easy.

the problem will be that they need a minimum amount of crew to operate a flight depending on the size of the aircraft.

So they will be able to operate some flights, but only if
a) the baggage handlers, the checkin staff, the pilots do not come out in sympathy, i.e. refuse to cross picket lines for example
b) the aircraft are positioned at the right airports.

We fly Nov 29th. Virgin have yet to impress me and this would be the final insult. If they strike then I too would follow Obi's example and tell them to shove it! I thought the days of striking were over but I suppose I am being naive.:mad:

I hope everyone that has booked to fly gets away and there o.k. I absolutely hate thinking about strikes but that is what everyone seems to do to get their own way. Have been trying to use my virgin airmiles and upgrade I received from using their credit card and that has been a nightmare also. Was well pleased to see that they are going to ferry the Spice girls around for nothing - feel that is a bit of an insult to everyone who saves hard to book flights with them.
Bren

I sooooooo hope its sorted out by December. I am soooo worried about it.

My parents had a terrible flight to Las Vegas. They kept telling them the entertainment was not working, but at the last minute they fixed it. They had run out of drinks. I have never ever seen this happen on another carrier. What on earth is this all about??? :confused3

I hope thier return journey from Los Angeles tonight is better, considering they flew on my recommendation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter