Virgin strike ballot to be within 2 weeks

Due To Fly Out 22nd Of Nov Returning 5th Of Dec.Lets Keep Everything Crossed That The Strike Action Doesn't Go Ahead:scared1: :scared1:

TTFN

I'm sure there are all sorts of variations depending on how many and which positions decide to take action, but it would help me to to make contingency plans if I knew what could be facing us! Disruption / delays / postponed flights / re-booked flights with other carriers / complete cancellation?

I would guess all we would be entitled to in the case of strike and not being able to fly is a refund. I would guess its similar to a cancelled flight.
However those booked on a package holiday would have more protection.
Sadly we have flight only booked.
I`m happy for anyone standing up for their rights - but I will admit I`m selfish -I want my holiday to do ahead without disruption.

Obi Wan Kenobi said:
I am sad to see however, there are still those who did not learn from the seventies and think its a "right" to screw up their employers, the type of attitude that almost destroyed this country then.

People generally vote for industrial action when they have been screwed by their employer.

martinrmn said:
If it is everyones right to strike, as seems to be some opinions here

Most people have a legal right to withdraw their labour when they are in dispute with their employer, it's not just an opinion.

martinrmn said:
Do you think 2.5% is a good rise?

Depends what it's 2.5% of.

Freaky said:
In todays economy a rise of 4.8% is good

See above, 4.8% of nothing is nothing. And anyway, 4.8% is only in line with the real cost of inflation.

I`m happy for anyone standing up for their rights - but I will admit I`m selfish -I want my holiday to do ahead without disruption.

I second your opion Merylj,this is a very special holiday for my family and we have had so many up and down`s with regards to being able to go or not that i want verything to go according to plan.

I second your opion Merylj,this is a very special holiday for my family and we have had so many up and down`s with regards to being able to go or not that i want verything to go according to plan.

We are supposed to be travelling from Manchester on the 12th Jan 2008. We hope we don't have any problems as it's been a struggle to get this time off from work. Our duaghter is so excited aswell it would be terrible if she was disappointed because of strike action.

If i can get out of the uk okay i will be fine, if i am delayed coming home it wouldn't bother me, lol.

I hope its resolved soon.

Hmm, I read it differently -
2 Nov ballot papers out
9 Nov papers to be returned
7 Dec LATEST date for start of action :confused:
(we're booked to fly out 24 Nov and back 2 Dec)

The way I interpreted it was this:

Nov 2nd - 7 days notice to VA that a ballot would go ahead.
Nov 9th - Ballot paper go out.
Nov 16th - Results in.
4 weeks from that takes you to the 14th of December.

Of course this is all speculation. The timeframe could be totally off.

Here's hoping for a peaceful resolution. *fingerscrossed*

I'm more a lurker here than a poster but just to add.

So far the union have given Virgin 7 days notice (which they legally must do), this notice went to Virgin on the 2nd November.

The unions have already said that the ballot papers will go to members within 2 weeks (from the 2nd November when the notice was given to Virgin). Allowing for 7 days notice from the 2nd November, this will mean ballot papers will go any time from the 9th November.

Working on the assumption of the same timescale the unions gave members to send their votes back on the pay offer, it may be another 3 weeks from the 9th November to allow for all members to have an opportunity to return their ballots. Of course the unions may try and rush things through and only give 7 days to get the ballots back but I personally can't see it - the members are not at one location and it's normal for unions to allow enough time for members at various locations to return their papers.

Once the ballots are received back they have to be counted and verified.

Any industrial action has to take place 4 weeks from the closing date of the ballot. Until the closing date of the ballot is announced (the unions might even allow longer than 3 weeks, on the otherhand it could be less) you can't even begin to guess when any action will take place, although seeing the unions have gone to the press and are saying Christmas/New Year, I would say it's pretty clear when they're planning the main disruption will be. Also, if both union and employer (i.e. Virgin) agree, industrial action can take place within 8 weeks, as opposed to 4 weeks.

Can someone give a simple break down of when the strike could start, what would happen to those who were due to fly out or back and if we managed to fly out to MCO would Virgin pay for a hotel if they cancelled our flight back???? Our dates of travel is 7th December-21st December.

There is so much on this thread my brain just simply cant take it all in. I am so worried now.

Can someone give a simple break down of when the strike could start, what would happen to those who were due to fly out or back and if we managed to fly out to MCO would Virgin pay for a hotel if they cancelled our flight back???? Our dates of travel is 7th December-21st December.

There is so much on this thread my brain just simply cant take it all in. I am so worried now.

At this moment in time no-one can tell you with confidence Angel.

First of all, the Union has to decide what time they are going to give to get the ballot papares nback in by, we will know this next Friday.
After that we need to know if the Unionised cabin crew actually vote for a strike, then the union IF (And I still belive its a big if!) a strike is voted for, have to inform the airline of the date of the start of the strike action and what type it will take (all out or specific dates)

Virgin Atlantics terms and conditions state:-
"If we cancel your flight within 2 weeks of your departure date we may offer compensation in the sum of 600 Euros. This depends upon the reason for the cancellation and the arrival time of your new flight.

Compensation will not be offered if the cause of the cancellation is beyond the control of Virgin Atlantic, or for cancellations which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. This includes, the impact of weather conditions or air traffic management decisions, national disasters, technical faults with the aircraft that may affect its safety, industrial disputes, political instability and security risks.

Neither will compensation, or other assistance e.g meals, refreshments or hotel accommodation etc be offered if we advised passengers or their travel agents and tour operators at least 2 weeks before departure date."

This is NOT to say they won't either get you on another flight, provide accommodation for a delyed flight or put you on another carrier, all of which they will do.

I'm Due To Fly Out On Nov 22nd,Yes The Possibilty Of Strike Action Concern's Me But Until We Know The Facts I Think We Should All Try And Relax And Not Get Worked Up Over It,I Know This Is Easier Said Than Done But We Really Could Be Getting "Our Knickers In A Twist" For Nothing:rotfl: :rotfl: Laugh Or I Would Cry:rotfl: :rotfl:

Lets All Keep EVERYTHING Firmly Crossed That All Ends Well

TTFN:)

Spoke to Virgin today and they reacon its being resolved and it wont effect any flights. Hmmmmmmmmm yeah right!!!

I am trying to be positive here, but I really dont want to have to wait till Virgin cancels my flight if they are going to strike and then find that we cant fly at all.

I am so paranoid its unbelievable. Sorry guys....

Spoke to Virgin today and they reacon its being resolved and it wont effect any flights. Hmmmmmmmmm yeah right!!!

I am trying to be positive here, but I really dont want to have to wait till Virgin cancels my flight if they are going to strike and then find that we cant fly at all.

I am so paranoid its unbelievable. Sorry guys....

You're not paranoid. I'd be exactly the same as you.

Unions normally like maxium affect when striking, therefore I got a feelng they wil allow 2-3 weeks for the papers to be returned, therefore they can strike over the christmas - new year period.

I am flying 4dec-16dec and selfishly hope my dates will not be affected.

Unions normally like maxium affect when striking, therefore I got a feelng they wil allow 2-3 weeks for the papers to be returned, therefore they can strike over the christmas - new year period.

I am flying 4dec-16dec and selfishly hope my dates will not be affected.

Or (being Devils Advocate here) a quick few days strike at the start od December to show VS they are serious and a forewarning of what they could do over the busy Christmas period.....

Apparently Virgin said a small percentage of staff are with the union. So the flights will not be cancelled. They dont want to ruin thier reputation. If this is true then great!

Well, now BAA are saying they might strike! Same sort of timescale, ballot results known for end November, industrial action to be started within 20 days, and 7 days notice to be given to BAA of the strike date, so earliest will be around 6th December, latest, bang on time for the Christmas flights.

Funny that it's the same union don't you think?

Thats terrible. I hope this wont cause anymore problems for us all travelling soon. I dont think my blood pressure could take anymore. :sad1:

Im waiting for my tickets, we go three weeks on tuesday I cant wait

I hope we dont get delayed on the way back I dont think my job would understand, its only an agency position till I start childminding

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter