Volcanic Ash Over Iceland Cancels Flights!!!

i think, as you say andy, you will struggle to move on saturday.

at least you are safe at home, not sat on an airport floor
tracy

i think, as you say andy, you will struggle to move on saturday.

at least you are safe at home, not sat on an airport floor
tracy

Got that right.

With a 10 month old and a 4 year old i would rather stay at home than be stuck at the airport.

Will access options tomorrow when there is a clearer picture of the follow on chaos.

But this is making me think of when i book my Florida holiday for 2011 when i get back. As i was going to do DIY but things like this make me worry about leaving me a bit exposed.

Andy

flying back from orlando in 2008, we were stuck in TS faye, and sat on the floor in airport for 5 hours waiting for a wave to pass, kids were ok, but not easy, i dont envy anyone in the airports today with kids:hug:

VA have just put all flights in uk grounded til 6am tomorrow :headache: on the Facebook page.

Latest from BBC:

"The UK's air traffic control service (Nats) said no flights would be allowed in or out of UK airspace until 0700 BST on Friday amid fears of engine damage.

The airspace restriction was the worst in living memory, a spokesman said.

Nats suggested that the restrictions were unlikely to be lifted after 0700, saying saying it was "very unlikely that the situation over England will improve in the foreseeable future"."

That is the one we are flying on in two weeks. Like I said in my OP, last time this volcano spent two years erupting so here's hoping its not anywhere near as active this time, not just for holiday makers but those living in Iceland who face losing homes etc too. But flight wise, it is a disappointment but clearly better to be safe than sorry :goodvibes.

My dad told me about this - apparently whatever he was watching, someone phoned/emailed in saying "I don't know what all the fuss is about. The volcano errupted and caused ash for 2 years and nothing like this happened then!". Apperently someone else kindly reminded them that was probably because it was in 1845!!:lmao:

:rotfl:I think we have a language barrier problem with Iceland because i am sure that a little while ago Gordon Brown told thier prime minister that they owed us some Cash!

:rotfl2:

disclaimer- not MY joke,lol

This is from the Delta Airlines website:
http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/flight_status_updates/advisories/iceland_volcano/index.jsp

Iceland Volcano
Last Updated: April 15, 2010, 10:30am EDT

Iceland Volcano has impacted travel to, from, or through parts of Northern Europe. Check flight status frequently for up-to-the-minute info about your flight plans, or get updates sent directly to your wireless device or email with Delta Messenger.

Rescheduling Flights
If your flight is canceled or significantly delayed, you are entitled to a refund. Even if your flight is not canceled, you may make a one-time change to your ticket without fee if you are scheduled to travel to, from, or through the following cities on Delta, Delta Connection®, or Delta-coded flights during the specified time periods listed below.

You can now edit your itinerary here at delta.com, or you may contact Reservation Sales to make changes to your itinerary. Additional collection in fares may apply. See Conditions & Restrictions below.

Destinations affected:
--AMS – Amsterdam
--LGW – London, Gatwick airport
--LHR – London, Heathrow airport

My friend was due to fly on 1pm lgw to mco and it was cancelled!

DD and I are due to fly Bristol-Orlando via Newark this Saturday, so we're just keeping up with the latest flight information and hoping for the best at the moment.

We're only going for a week, so any delay would seriously cut down on our holiday time but, if safety is an issue, I'm certainly not going to be complaining about any decisions to keep us grounded!

Que sera, sera (or something like that!) ;)

DD and I are due to fly Bristol-Orlando via Newark this Saturday, so we're just keeping up with the latest flight information and hoping for the best at the moment.

We're only going for a week, so any delay would seriously cut down on our holiday time but, if safety is an issue, I'm certainly not going to be complaining about any decisions to keep us grounded!

Que sera, sera (or something like that!) ;)

Thats a good way to look at it hilary:hug: At least you know now than being told when you get to the airport. I would be gutted to be told the flight was cancelled but then the safety of the passengers is more important.:thumbsup2

Update now no fights until at least 1pm tomorrow!!

Thats a good way to look at it hilary:hug: At least you know now than being told when you get to the airport. I would be gutted to be told the flight was cancelled but then the safety of the passengers is more important.:thumbsup2

Absolutely! Much as we are all hoping for you to be able to go, it is conditional on you coming back! :hug:

My dad was lucky. They managed to leave Orlando yeterday but couldn't land at Manchester this morning so were diverted to Gatwick instead. As I said on a text to him at least he'll be able to have a sleep on the coach before having to drive back to Derby from Manchester.

My wife is supposed to fly into London this tuesday morning, hopefully things will be back to normal by then. She's going to the UK for a month and isn't in that big of a hurry so she wouldn't mind getting bumped for a free ticket or 2. The flight as of last night only had a couple of seats left so there may be a scramble as things get really messed up. Looks like we booked just in time.

It really depends on the type of policy but to be honest this is classed in the insurance business as an "act of god" and there probably isn't cover. Most travel policies do tend to gave a delay clause where they will give you so much money for every 12 hours or so you are delayed. But as always it's best to check your policies!
I hope they get things safe and back to normal soon for the sake of all those excited passengers and those trying to get back home after Easter.
Sending pixie dust to all those trAvelling to the world in the next couple of days!

My hubby is due to fly out tomorrow from Manchester to join me for the last 8 days of our holiday - doesn't look like I'll be seeing him any time soon - very sad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter