Volcanic Ash Over Iceland Cancels Flights!!!

Well, have to say I do feel sorry for those stuck out there as I do know what it is like. We went on a two week holiday back in 96 and ended up out there for a month as my dad left everything to the last minute and we missed our flight! It was really difficult to get flights back, it was the Daytona races and we were effectively "homeless" for a day as all accommodation was full. There were alot of tears as we were told to go on standby and faced weeks of waiting at the airport with packed suitcases for a flight and it was the uncertainty of not knowing when we would get home that was the worst. Luckily, my dad pulled it together and decided to abandon the standby route and re-book with Virgin flying to Gatwick instead of Manchester and we managed to get a flight within two weeks. Our American friends whose villa we were renting let us stay free of charge for the rest of our stay and they spent the rest of our time there taking us on trips to Miami and other places. My parents have businesses so that was a bit of a problem, my school had been closed the week before we travelled due to snow and then my parents took me out of school during term time for the holiday so I ended up not being at school for 5 or 6 weeks and the school were not at all happy, my parents got a snotty letter! My mum worried sick about money the whole time but my dad just kept saying to stick things on the credit card and he always takes extra money just in case. At any rate, that holiday ended up more expensive than anyone could have known....... the extra time was a deciding factor in my parents buying a villa off our American friends so six weeks later (and out of term time), we were back in Florida signing all the paper work to buy the villa :rotfl:! It all worked out fine but when we didn't know how long we were going to be there it was awful, and I can't imagine how my mum felt with a little girl crying that she just wanted to go home and asking where were we going to sleep and did we have enough money to eat. In this case now, people have no idea when they will get home and I think that is the worst thing.

Everyday that goes by we are preparing ourselves more and more that our trip in ten days is unlikely to go ahead. It is disappointing and we didn't book a package holiday so we face losing quite alot of money. Also my parents look after young adults with mental health problems and my 91 yr old gran lives with us since having a stroke so we were all badly in need of a holiday and holidays are really difficult to arrange due to having to find care cover etc. Mum has also just been put on anti-depressants and I too have been suffering from depression for a while and can't stop crying so a change of scenery and a relaxing time would help. On the other hand, I am also concerned that even if we do get out there, if the volcanic ash flared up again and UK or US airspace was closed we would have big problems because of the people who need our care at home and also the fact that all three of us have heart problems, my dad is also badly diabetic and my mum has an underactive thyroid so if medication etc ran out or we needed medical treatment we would end up paying alot of money. Also, if I was out there for an extended time I would probably lose my job and I also have my educational psychology exams soon after we get back (if I missed them I wouldn't get to do the next part of my course for a year!). I suppose I would rather cancel the holiday now so we know what we are doing as would mum, but dad (as always!) is the stickler! Anyway, Que Sera Sera I guess.

Hope those stuck out there get back soon and manage to enjoy their extra time in Florida :grouphug:.

sorry i haven't been around today...
has anything changed?

i saw sky news this morning at 6 am....they had some guy on to read the newspaper headlines who was quite funny.....i didn't catch his name, but i'm sure you all would know who he is..
anyway, in the news article he showed to the camera, some MP was quoted as saying, "we didn't realise it was an emergency"....
so this guy was incredulous...
his response, "what kind of idiots do we have in parliament.....we live on an island.....closing the airspace isn't an emergency??????"

i can't do him justice, but it was amusing....although the situation is anything but funny....

i haven't heard the news all day - has there been a change?

Manchester airport due to open at 9am. This is beginning to look more positive! *touch wood*

My wife's flight from ATL to LHR was cancelled this morning, her next chance to fly out is 8 days from now. Not because she couldn't leave sooner, that is the next flight that wasn't completely booked. She didn't have to wait in Chicago like we feared but we still had to go to ATL and be told the flight was cancelled. Even though it was obvious to the whole world. So all it cost us was a couple of hours travel time so far. She stays with relatives and she's totally flexible so for us it's actually moving it up to better weather in the UK. The people still at the airport aren't so lucky, how would you like to be told you had to spend another 8 days in a terminal if you had no place to go?

Just read that there has been another eruption and a thicker ash colud is heading this way :sad2:

Manchester Airport will not open till 1300 tomorrow Tuesday!! I am answering the calls at the moment!!!!!!!
Saz 331 xx

For our UK DISers in Orlando, here's a couple of links about area discounts.

It's been reported that WDW will offer free one-day admission to the parks on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Also, the Orlando/Orange County Convention and Visitor's Bureau is keeping a list of area discounts for attractions, hotels, and restaurants. WDW doesn't show up on their list yet, but Disney's participation is being reported by local radio and the Orlando Sentinel.

Hope this helps some people.

We are still in the USA, still waiting. We were due to fly home on Thursday. This is extra night #5. We are safe and well but desperate to return home. :guilty:

my travel insurance company said:

Good Afternoon,

Unfortunately the policy you have taken out with AXA is not covering any delays or cancellation due to the volcanic ash, this is not being classed as an adverse weather condition this is classed as a disruption and the AXA policy does not have a section for this.

Regards Admin

my reply was very undisney like - so i won't post it on here.

Hiya,

I'm afraid they're right - it is what is classed a "Force Majeure" which most insurance companies specifically exclude. Just bad luck if you are set to travel... or stuck

Though, the reason we book with a travel agent and through VH is - for instance - Virgin Holidays says in its terms and conditions... "Due to the unpredictable nature of force majeure events we shall not be liable for any changes either before departure or during the holiday, which in our opinion are necessary to protect your safety. In this event we will offer you suitable alternative arrangements, or if you do not travel, return the money you have paid us but we will not pay you compensation." So although insurance companies won't necessarily help, if you have booked through someone - not done it alone - things are , relatively, covered.

Tessa

Hiya,

I'm So although insurance companies won't necessarily help, if you have booked through someone - not done it alone - things are , relatively, covered.

So in this specific case a package offers slightly more protection? Hmmm.

my travel insurance company said:

Good Afternoon,

Unfortunately the policy you have taken out with AXA is not covering any delays or cancellation due to the volcanic ash, this is not being classed as an adverse weather condition this is classed as a disruption and the AXA policy does not have a section for this.

Regards Admin

my reply was very undisney like - so i won't post it on here.

Who was that with? :scared1:

Who was that with? :scared1:

It looks like it was with AXA, who underwrite Thomas Cook insurance as well. It is actually one of the better policies - I have used the Gold level many times - and I tell you what, it's not cheap. My quote for me and an 8 year old came in at £137 this year so I decided to look around. As I said on on another thread, at the end of the day, on a mulit thousand pound trip I don't want the cheapest - I want the best. However if I can get the similar for less, I would obviously do so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter