VOLCANO BAY.....INFO AND QUESTION THREAD........

I'm still thinking about renting the large cabana for October. I posted some pages ago. My DD is turning 17 and we want to have a big celebration at VB. I read some reviews about the cabanas and I am still inclined to get it just because I don't plan to go in the water at all (not a water park/beach person) so it would be nice to have a place to relax, plus I can get all the food sorted out before everyone comes, plus the tapu tapu pad right there seems very convenient.
All that is holding me back is money but I called Universal a couple of days ago and they said they are not taking reservations until week of, so I have some time. If not the reserved chairs will do.
We will also be staying the night prior at CB to have early access, my son works for Universal so we get an incredible rate and couldn't pass that up.
On another note I now have somewhat of an inside scoop on VB, my DD boyfriend started working there 2 weeks ago.
They are definitely getting better but still a lot of kinks to get ironed out.
For example, they are completely understaffed, as some of you already have noticed. My DD boyfriend has been asked to stay from 7am until 10pm...one day he was scheduled to get out at 5pm and they didn't send his replacement (he works on ride operations) until 6:30pm.
Also he got the basic Universal training but only got a proper VB training (where things are, a walk through the park, going on the slides) until a week after he had already started working in the park, so for a whole week he only knew how to get to his post and back to the buses.
I asked him what his favorite part of his job and it was seeing everyone having fun, also closing the park at night because they have to ride all the rides to make sure nothing is caught in them/lose items and the sort.

1. I've seen photos inside the volcano. I will not be wearing a bathing suit and have no intention of doing any rides or going in any pool. We won't store our valuables. I'll keep the electronics with me. Can I walk through the volcano? I"ll have quick dry clothing, but I don't want to get soaking wet.

2. Honu Ika Moana -- 5 seater. My kids are 11,14,17 - - do they fill the boat? I just want to be able to warn them to expect company.
(Is this right? Honu the turtle is the blue slide and ika the whale is the green slide? That sure seems like someone screwed up!)

3. Does the fearless river have one entry point? Does it have one exit point? I want to know where to wait for the kids if they go on this.

4. Has anyone had any luck photographing your kids from the bottom of the slide?

5. As I mentioned, I'll keep valuables with me. AM I okay to leave our towels, shoes, and shirts on a lounger?

6. How well marked are the pathways? I've got two different maps...and I can't figure out how to get to anything.

Last edited:
Hi - Thanks for the terrific thread everyone! We're heading down for a 4-day Universal visit in late August and staying on-site at PB. We've been to UO many times but first trip to VB -- very excited!

Quick questions:
1. Anyone have suggestions on how to keep the Tapu Tapu on? Should I bring anything to help secure it? My wrists are weirdly small so I'm concerned I'm going to lose it.
2. We're from the Nevada so if I suggested we be at the park by 7:30ish I wouldn't be very popular since it would feel like 4:30am for us... :) So, any specific suggestions for a late afternoon/early evening visit besides watch the weather and try to go after showers?

TIA for any thoughts.

1. I've seen photos inside the volcano. I will not be wearing a bathing suit and have no intention of doing any rides or going in any pool. We won't store our valuables. I'll keep the electronics with me. Can I walk through the volcano? I"ll have quick dry clothing, but I don't want to get soaking wet.

2. Honu Ika Moana -- 5 seater. My kids are 11,14,17 - - do they fill the boat? I just want to be able to warn them to expect company.
(Is this right? Honu the turtle is the blue slide and ika the what is the green slide? That sure seems like someone screwed up!)

3. Does the fearless river have one entry point? Does it have one exit point? I want to know where to wait for the kids if they go on this?

4. Has anyone had anyy luck photographing your kids from the bottom of the slide?

5. As I mentioned, I'll keep valuables with me. AM I okay to leave our towels, shoes, and shirts on a lounger?

6. How well marked are the pathways? I've got two different maps...and I can't figure out how to get to anything.

1. You get a lot of spray/mist on the waterfall portion of the volcano, but the other part is fine. there are water jest in the room with Vol, so the potential to get wet is definitely there. But I think it's doable to stay dry-ish as long as you do not try to walk all the way through under the waterfall section.

2. They send down Hone rafts with 2-3 or 5, I believe. Something similar with Ike Moana. I think the odds are better than not that your kids will be going down as a group of three, since both slides are also weight limited. I often went down as a double with just me and my son.

3. Only one entry point, though it has potential for two entry points. The second point at the water coaster can serve as an exit point. I've exited there before. Just tell the kids to get off at the geyser.

4. Haven't tried it. I've always been the one ON the slide, lol.

5. We did this every day we went (four separate days). Never a problem.

6. There are signs everywhere. The park has one main loop, with a couple of spurs off to go to different slides. You'll get the hang of it quickly.

Have fun!!!

Hi - Thanks for the terrific thread everyone! We're heading down for a 4-day Universal visit in late August and staying on-site at PB. We've been to UO many times but first trip to VB -- very excited!

Quick questions:
1. Anyone have suggestions on how to keep the Tapu Tapu on? Should I bring anything to help secure it? My wrists are weirdly small so I'm concerned I'm going to lose it.
2. We're from the Nevada so if I suggested we be at the park by 7:30ish I wouldn't be very popular since it would feel like 4:30am for us... :) So, any specific suggestions for a late afternoon/early evening visit besides watch the weather and try to go after showers?

TIA for any thoughts.

If you go late, you have to tour the park kind of inside out. The biggest rides are going to all have long lines when you get there, but should clear out as the evening goes along. The last hour should be spent riding all the headliners as much as you can get them in.

Early entry starts at 7:30am EST Saturday morning. I don't know if this is just tomorrow, all weekend, or most of July. Today was 8am.

Had a great day! Crowds seemed like nothing compared to opening weekend. Not sure if the hit capacity today or not. Express pass is now good on Krakatau not not the drop door/body plunge slides. Restaurants closed before 8pm even though the park didn't close until 9pm. Much fewer ride break downs, except Krakatau. Rivers are way more organized and orderly. Food lines weren't horrific but still seemed a bit slow. Got to wear my glasses with the strap on every ride we did:D

EDIT: Family in premium loungers next to us got early entry even though they weren't staying onsite. She was told it was included in that. Never heard that before. Not sure if it's always the case or just Merlin dust.

(Is this right? Honu the turtle is the blue slide and ika the whale is the green slide? That sure seems like someone screwed up!)

3. Does the fearless river have one entry point? Does it have one exit point? I want to know where to wait for the kids if they go on this.

4. Has anyone had any luck photographing your kids from the bottom of the slide?

1. You can walk through the volcano without getting wet. It's quite cool in there. There are a few Tapu Tapu-activated points in there.

2. When we did Honu and Ika first thing in the morning, there was no line and we had the raft to ourselves (1 adult and 2 kids). When we did it in the afternoon, they filled the raft up.

3. Yes. You enter and exit at the same place.

4. Can't help you with this. I rode all the slides with my kids. I think it'd be quite tricky though. You wouldn't know when it's their turn to come down.

5. I left non-valuables at the loungers and there was no problem.

6. For me, the pathways are NOT well marked at all. The first few hours I had to ask team members all the over the place to get somewhere. And it wasn't like I could carry a map with me since I was wet all time. I hate the official map they have there too. Instead of having the names of the attractions on the map, they put symbols. You first have to figure out what symbol means what ride and then you would have to find your way there. Very confusing. I must have walked around the park at least 10 times that day and a lot of those times I didn't even know where I was going. I really couldn't complain too much though since I stumbled upon quite a few nooks and crannies that way. By mid-afternoon, everything started to make sense.

Hope this helps!!

Quick questions:

TIA for any thoughts.

When we were there ten days ago, we stayed through the storms. After the storms, the wait for Krakatau was 60 minutes and Honu 90 minutes. We rode Krakatau the last thing that night and the wait was still about 20-25 minutes. So if you plan to go to VB after afternoon showers, be prepared to wait still. It's not as bad as before the showers but still significant.

Early entry starts at 7:30am EST Saturday morning. I don't know if this is just tomorrow, all weekend, or most of July. Today was 8am.

Had a great day! Crowds seemed like nothing compared to opening weekend. Not sure if the hit capacity today or not. Express pass is now good on Krakatau not not the drop door/body plunge slides. Restaurants closed before 8pm even though the park didn't close until 9pm. Much fewer ride break downs, except Krakatau. Rivers are way more organized and orderly. Food lines weren't horrific but still seemed a bit slow. Got to wear my glasses with the strap on every ride we did:D

EDIT: Family in premium loungers next to us got early entry even though they weren't staying onsite. She was told it was included in that. Never heard that before. Not sure if it's always the case or just Merlin dust.
My DD's boyfriend goes in Friday 8/11 at 5:30am, when he asked if it was a mistake they said they are opening VB to resort guests at 6:30am that day :confused3 maybe it's because it's the last Friday before school starts here in Orange county?

How did you find that out?

My DD's boyfriend goes in Friday 8/11 at 5:30am, when he asked if it was a mistake they said they are opening VB to resort guests at 6:30am that day :confused3 maybe it's because it's the last Friday before school starts here in Orange county?

OK, I am going Sunday 8/13. What is the best way to find out when the early opening time is? At the resort? I'm guessing it is NOT online, as the website still says EE at 9 AM for all of August

Last edited:

OK, I am going Sunday 8/13. What is the best way to find out when the early opening time is? At the resort? I'm guessing it is NOT online, as the website still says EE at 9 AM for all of August
I have no clue. I will definitely ask him to see if they change his schedule and I'll let you know.

The hotel left phone messages and when I picked up our VB tickets at the hotel ticket counter. They left another message saying 7:30am but didn't specify a day. I don't know what time the buses will start though. The hotel will know. Unlike Disney, Universal hotels are very knowledgeable about parks, hours, and transportation.

For those who have been on both the Krakatau Aqua Coaster and Typhoon Lagoon's Crush 'N' Gusher, can you compare them? Is one scarier than the other, are the drops worse on one compared to the other, etc.? Thanks!

The hotel left phone messages and when I picked up our VB tickets at the hotel ticket counter. They left another message saying 7:30am but didn't specify a day. I don't know what time the buses will start though. The hotel will know. Unlike Disney, Universal hotels are very knowledgeable about parks, hours, and transportation.
7:30am opening started today, at least until the 11th as far as i know

7:30am opening started today, at least until the 11th as far as i know

It would seem that this time change effectively makes Early Park Admission 1.5 hours before regular opening time. Right?

I also read on OI (https://orlandoinformer.com/blog/volcano-bay-changes-menus/) about major menu changes. Kind of a bummer, but I imagine it's to help increase efficiency as most recent food reports note very long lines.

Both of these changes would appear to fall in line with things Universal is doing to reduce waits. Anybody know what else may be changing?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter