VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Sleepy, Granny and Ron, thanks for the great tips! Going to copy these right now so not to have to remember which page they were on come Feb. :D

Just saw that Neil Patrick Harris is to be the guest narrator at the Candlelight Processional Dec 3, 4, 5 & 6th. I'm not one who will look twice at any celebrity but he's so charming and fun I've always wanted to listen to him narrate the story in person. :) It will be my daughter & I. Any tips on attending?

I always miss him. I have Whoopi & Blair Underwood for my dates. That is if I go which I likely will, but there is a possibility I might be going to Tahiti over those dates instead. I'm in the running for an agent trip, but the competition to get chosen is quite high so I'm not getting my hopes up. Then again that's what I said about the Australia trip & I was chosen for that. We'll see. I hope everyone got the dining packages they were looking for. I don't have that much of an interest in seeing either Whoopi or Blair to shell out the $$ for a dining package. I can hear the music just fine from the back.

Hope everyone had a nice 4th. I know I still owe you some pictures. I do have them on my computer now. I'll try to get a few up this week. Choosing a few is going to be hard. I took over 1k pictures. :eek:

Counting down til Friday until my introduction to Toystory land! Heading out tomorrow to nearby St. Augustine to DD's apartment. Thursday we are going to split some time between a water park and Disney Springs, then Friday is HS. We've never taken this short of a trip. I don't know that we will be able to go and not step foot in MK for at least a few minutes. DD18 says she'll go by herself on Thursday night if she has to. Trying to enjoy everything we can from having these premium AP's this year. After this year we'll have to take some time off and let the points recover!

And I just saw on the DVC facebook page that apparently DVC members can also do early booking tomorrow, July 10th. Not really promoted at all.....

I can confirm that DVC can book today (in addition to AP and TIW card holders). I just got off the phone with WDW-DINE after a 35 minute hold time and booked Candlelight Processional Dinner Package for our December trip. The CM I talked to said that they will have "everyone" answering phones tomorrow and they expect waits in excess of 1 hour to book the package.

It's good to go through this every once in a while to make sure that I appreciate things like on-line DVC booking and booking regular meals with MDE. It's so rare that I have to call MS or other numbers that I forget that this used to be the norm! o_O

OK Groupies, so we are going in November & are planning for March to be a 3 or 4 day in WDW followed by 3 days at Harry Potter world at a Universal resort strictly for comparison (I hate taking this genie out of the bottle). But, for Spring Break 2020 does another California trip sound wise to avoid the STARWARS land mayhem?

OK Groupies, so we are going in November & are planning for March to be a 3 or 4 day in WDW followed by 3 days at Harry Potter world at a Universal resort strictly for comparison (I hate taking this genie out of the bottle). But, for Spring Break 2020 does another California trip sound wise to avoid the STARWARS land mayhem?
Well, I'd vote for another California trip regardless, but your logic seems good. ;) I also believe another park's POV is wise. US is beginning to creep up on Disney in many areas: rides, accommodations, dining. The older parts of US don't have Disney's original attention to detail, nor do they have the built in generations Disney used to cultivate. However, given Disney's recent tonal shift to industry standard in many operations, US is definitely gaining ground. On a side note, I would recommend BiCE at the Portofino Resort over at Universal. Topnotch Italian with great service in a lovely ambiance.

Long time reader of this thread but first time poster. We bought into DVC at VWL in 2001 (when we had one child) and have spent 25 nights there between 2001 & 2007. Our main stays since then have been at BWV & AKL-Jambo but we’ve also tried BCV, OKW, SSR (as well as a few cash stays at our original WDW resort hotel, Dixie Landings). I can’t believe that for our last VWL trip my kids were 3, 5 & 7; now they are 14, 16 & 18 – wow how time flies.

We have a 15-night trip coming up (19 days away!), first 6 nights in a VWL studio followed by 6 nights in a BWV 1 BR. We had booked WCC for this trip but cancelled it after it was toned down and booked Trails End instead. We have never been attracted to the AP menu. We did do an AP character breakfast way back in 2001 or 2002. I don’t think making AP dinner a character meal will get many more seats filled – it does not seem to be a destination restaurant.

I have some questions:
  • Is the quiet pool still quiet? We had many visits where we were the only ones in the pool (granted we toured in April & Sept-Nov in the past). I’m wondering if the new CCV is making the area more crowded.
  • Can you still walk to/from Fort Wilderness?
  • How are the boats / buses now with CCV open? I remember sometimes having to wait for a second boat to MK, especially early in the day.
  • Is WCC worth a try for the food?
  • Any thoughts on Geyser Point Bar and Grill for a meal? Looks nice but I’m not sure outdoor seating in August makes it a lunch option for us.
Any advice / tips you can provide will also be greatly appreciated.
TIA and have a great day.

Welcome to the VWL Groupies thread, POOH&PIGLET! We're always happy to see one of the thread lurkers pop in to say hi. I'll give your questions a stab, and others can chime in with their opinions.

• Is the quiet pool still quiet? We had many visits where we were the only ones in the pool (granted we toured in April & Sept-Nov in the past). I’m wondering if the new CCV is making the area more crowded.
The quiet pool is still quiet in the sense that it doesn't have a slide, and they don't do the loud games & music there. The pool definitely has more attendance than the old quiet pool but it is almost as large as the main pool so I've never seen it be really crowded. But then again I haven't been there during a hot month since it opened so none of the pools were crowded.
Yes, the walking/biking path is still there. Only the "nature trail" along Bay Lake was eliminated.
  • How are the boats / buses now with CCV open? I remember sometimes having to wait for a second boat to MK, especially early in the day.
CCV was really not an expansion of WL properties, it was a conversion of old hotel rooms for the most part. So we haven't noticed that it is more crowded for buses or boats. If you are going to MK, I would suggest that you also keep an eye out for the little boat that circles Bay Lake. If you get on one of those coming from Fort Wilderness, the next stop will be Contemporary Resort which is an easy walk to MK. We've done that several times and saved some time in getting to MK.
We actually like WCC for breakfast. We haven't had dinner there for many years so I can't comment on the lunch or dinner menu, but in my opinion they serve a nice breakfast.
  • Any thoughts on Geyser Point Bar and Grill for a meal? Looks nice but I’m not sure outdoor seating in August makes it a lunch option for us.
Geyser Point is definitely worth a lunch or snack as it is really a beautiful setting. They do have overhead fans as I recall, and even in August I would think it would be a nice place to sit and have a lunch or snack. They have messed around with the relationship between the bar and the counter service food in the same building. The last time I was there you checked in with the CMs to get a seat and then ordered from the waitstaff. They were going to expand the menu as I recall but I'm not sure where that stands now. Regardless, it is such a nice setting that I'd recommend it for at least a relaxing pause during your stay.

We joined DVC the same year that you did, and despite the dramatic changes on the Wilderness Lodge campus, VWL still has that great appeal as a seclusion and respite from the busy parks. I think it is a great idea to do the split stay with BWV which is a completely different vibe and will make for a nice contrast to the VWL stay. Have a great time planning the trip! :)

Last edited:
I have to agree with Granny with most of the above. Despite Disney mucking around with success, VWL (and the main Lodge) is still quite the getaway from all the massive crowds in the parks. The new build of Copper Creek was seen by most as a way to improve what was universally reported as chronic under filling of rooms at the Lodge. By building Copper Creek, they more than cover their costs when selling points. So, while there may be a few more people than before, I don't believe either the boats or buses will be greatly affected. I can't speak to WCC as it's been years since we last ate there, but Geyser Point is a nice spot--certainly, it's a pretty building and superior setting. It does pipe in music from the evening fireworks and, of course, there's the Electric Water Pageant. The food was very good when they first opened, but as Granny alluded, GP has a bit of an identity crisis; meanwhile, they reduced the menu and took off some of their better items. Still, it's worth trying. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Lodge; however, it will look entirely different to you than before.

And, welcome to the Groupies! :welcome:

We received an invitation yesterday for Passholder Play Time in Toy Story Land. I had to wait a few minutes online before I was able to register, and decided to choose our final day to attend as we were already planning on the Studios that day... my first choice was “sold out” I’m not sure getting there by 6:45 AM on our checkout day was wise, but once I secured the reservation it didn’t seem like I could make a change.

On a side note, we have Platinum AP’s because they were offering the upgrade last year. Will we be able to renew to the regular AP’s?

1st off, let me say Welcome to the groupies Pooh & Piglet!!!!
You have some great answers from two of our finest, most distinguished gentleman here on the Groupies(just saying that mainly so Sleepy doesn't kick me out of here:duck:)but I will insert my thoughts too. Like Granny and you, we too have been VWL members since late 01 and can't count the days/nights we spent at the Lodge, a lot and not enough all wrapped as one!

As for the pool, I can't attest to its quietness as I have yet to have visited it
The path to FW is open and great in the AM especially IMO to catch a bite at Trails End. Many times we see deer along the way
Boat service is still same IMO, iffy at best. But I love it all the same. Though I have yet to do the Contemporary then walk as Granny mentioned, thats a bright idea
WCC breakfast, yes. All other meals, not really
GP is a cool spot to enjoy a meal and drink. Great view of lake, and relaxing

Just sitting here drinking my morning coffee, and something struck me. I know we often claim to be the friendliest group on the DIS, and looking back on my association with the Groupies, I think that's true more now than ever before. Yet, for me, it's more than that. While I've only met a handful of the Groupies over the years, in some regards, I've come to consider you as family. It's no secret that I've not been overly fond of Disney and some of their decisions the past few years; still, I look forward to checking in with my "family" to see how and what they're doing. There's a certain amount of comfort I get, a familiarity with our band of brothers and sisters, which on a very basic level keeps me in the Disney mood even when I'm highly annoyed with Disney. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that in many aspects, this thread is Disney to me much more than the actual places we visit. Walt's vision, though I'm sure he still wanted to make money, was a place for families--and this thread is my Disney family, my Disney experience, and holds many of my Disney memories. I can't thank you all enough.

Thanks Sleepy. What makes Disney for us is the feeling of inclusion. We love bantering about the topics presented on this thread, and look forward to meeting all of the groupies when in The World. But it really has been this thread that has made the difference for us in experiencing what Walt had in mind.

this thread is my Disney family, my Disney experience, and holds many of my Disney memories. I can't thank you all enough.

Very well stated, Sleepy. I completely agree that the people on this thread have truly enhanced my Disney experience. And while we may hold different opinions about various topics, I have always seen a mutual respect here that is so sorely lacking in the world these days. I've enjoyed meeting so many of you, and I miss those who used to be regulars but have moved on (thinking of Muushka, Eliza, Stopher, etc). If you had told me 12 years ago that I would count as friends a number of people that I "met" on the internet, I would have told said you were crazy. You all are a blessing.

But it really has been this thread that has made the difference for us in experiencing what Walt had in mind.

DDad...I hadn't thought of it in quite that way but I think you are right. I look forward to our WDW trips, but especially to seeing you and others. It has been quite a while since we had a "trip without Groupies". :)

Last edited:
We received an invitation yesterday for Passholder Play Time in Toy Story Land. I had to wait a few minutes online before I was able to register, and decided to choose our final day to attend as we were already planning on the Studios that day... my first choice was “sold out” I’m not sure getting there by 6:45 AM on our checkout day was wise, but once I secured the reservation it didn’t seem like I could make a change.

On a side note, we have Platinum AP’s because they were offering the upgrade last year. Will we be able to renew to the regular AP’s?

Happy to hear someone got the email and gets to take advantage of the offer Corinne! And you can change the level of AP when you renew - just have to either call in or do it in person. Online will only offer the same AP to renew - assuming even gives you the renewal selection. Mine will seem to appear to have it but then not bring up the renewal.

Happy to hear someone got the email and gets to take advantage of the offer Corinne! And you can change the level of AP when you renew - just have to either call in or do it in person. Online will only offer the same AP to renew - assuming even gives you the renewal selection. Mine will seem to appear to have it but then not bring up the renewal.

Thanks Kathy! You’re always so helpful, I really appreciate it!

Just sitting here drinking my morning coffee, and something struck me. I know we often claim to be the friendliest group on the DIS, and looking back on my association with the Groupies, I think that's true more now than ever before. Yet, for me, it's more than that. While I've only met a handful of the Groupies over the years, in some regards, I've come to consider you as family. It's no secret that I've not been overly fond of Disney and some of their decisions the past few years; still, I look forward to checking in with my "family" to see how and what they're doing. There's a certain amount of comfort I get, a familiarity with our band of brothers and sisters, which on a very basic level keeps me in the Disney mood even when I'm highly annoyed with Disney. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that in many aspects, this thread is Disney to me much more than the actual places we visit. Walt's vision, though I'm sure he still wanted to make money, was a place for families--and this thread is my Disney family, my Disney experience, and holds many of my Disney memories. I can't thank you all enough.

I agree that this is a very friendly thread and it definitely has enhanced my Disney experience. I haven’t had the pleasure of meeting anyone in person yet, but even so you all have welcomed my participation. I really enjoy the time I spend here and hope that I’ve been able to add tidbits that have helped others in their adventures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter