VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Currently at BWI and waiting to board my final leg home. First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DIZNYDI!!! :bday: And glad to see you're feeling better!

Second, a most magnificent HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE, LUVVWL! :cake::cake:
I did get her a present, baked some chocolate chip cookies (in lieu of cake), and enjoyed a nice meal with her before departing to Maine the afternoon of her birthday, but I'm just now able to sit down and add my wishes to those Groupies here. You're the best, babe!

As for your thoughts re: DL and VGC, I agree with most of your posts. DL park, in particular has a more intimate feel and evokes the bygone era more easily than does WDW. We found the QS at VGC lacking, too. The lobby is wonderful at VGC, but is a bit more of a modernistic, upscale version of our lobby--not as transformative. The music they play is, likewise, a bit more classical than inspiring (there is often a pianist playing there, in fact). We found the DCA gate untenable, even at rope drop. Instead, we'd hoof it around to the main entrance and would get in faster. Overall, we really enjoyed the two California parks, but I do feel a bit more comfortable at the World.

Finally, a decision has been made by DD

Sorry for the sideways picture, but I can't seem to find out how to straighten it, certainly not while waiting in an airport lounge area. Anyway, you get the "picture." :thumbsup2

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on DLR @Granny. No need to apologize for them. You feel the way you feel based on the experience you had. Nothing wrong with that & it sounds like your experience was very similar to mine. I had hoped my run in with the crowds was due to pre Easter arrivals, but it doesn't sound that way. DL is just a little too cramped for me. I understand why. At the time it was built I imagine they didn't anticipate the crowds they would eventually draw. All the walkways are very narrow which makes maneuvering around the crowds difficult. I didn't mess with the paper FP system at all. I went right for MaxPass on both of my park days & felt it was well worth the money to not have to run around trying to get paper FPs. Would I feel the same if it cost more than $10? Not sure. I'm not sure what my price breaking point would be to not be willing to pay. I do hope WDW doesn't go the way of UA & implement a pay for more (which I know they're testing on CL level resorts) or front of the line access. They've already opened the booking window to guests at DS resorts. Adding a pay to play version would make it pretty much impossible to get good FPs IMO.

Interesting on the DCA entrance line on am EMH day. I didn't do early entrance on the DCA day I only did the DL am day. DCA day was check out day for me. I took my time in the room then spent a few hours in the parks getting what I could get for FPs as I went. I do agree with your assessment of the entrance lines. I remember thinking there has got to be a better way to do this. The activating your tickets then having your picture taken holds up the lines. They should have a separate line for people that need to activate their tickets for the first time. I think that would help speed things along.

Thanks for sharing your trip & thoughts with us!

@sleepydog25 all I see is IMG. No picture. What was the decision?

I would definitely hold off until the Star Wars addition is complete. The Cars Land and Pixar themed areas are really well done...I noted that they really did a fine job of working the transitions of the various lands that are so close to each other yet provide their own distinctive look and feel.

And by the time you are ready to go, the new hotel should be complete which even our front desk CM agreed will include significant DVC villas. Disney is fully aware of how quickly the VGC villas sell out...I think they were initially concerned that DVC might not work as well at DLR because of the heavy local visitation but clearly there is demand for more.
We will definitely be waiting a bit. Right now I know we will be at WDW for our June 2018, 2019, and 2020 trips. We are slated to take 2021 off but I'm already sad about that! LOL. So we will shoot for DLR after that.

That would be great if we could get in on another DVC hotel at DLR. Here's hoping they are ready by the time we get out there!

Granny I thoroughly enjoyed your trip report and the accompanying photos. The wait lines are impressive. Personally no corn dog is worth that kind of wait for me.

Ariel I'm hoping with 24 hrs of antibiotics under your belt that you're beginning to get some relief and are feeling better.

Sleepy, I'm with Julie, no picture to see. Where did your daughter decide to go?

So she's heading north. Is she ready for our winters? :faint: Congrats to her on her decision! :thumbsup2
Let's just say we stressed the idea that there are long, cold winters in Maine. Of course, in the end, the decision was hers to make. And, after attending the admitted students day on Monday, I have to say I was impressed by the unerring focus of everyone to whom we spoke about the academic, whole-person, student-oriented, eyeing the future goals that Bates promotes. I could see why she enjoyed her first visit there so much and why she wanted to apply for admission. Maybe the cold is in her blood--she was born in Alaska. ;)

Let's just say we stressed the idea that there are long, cold winters in Maine. Of course, in the end, the decision was hers to make. And, after attending the admitted students day on Monday, I have to say I was impressed by the unerring focus of everyone to whom we spoke about the academic, whole-person, student-oriented, eyeing the future goals that Bates promotes. I could see why she enjoyed her first visit there so much and why she wanted to apply for admission. Maybe the cold is in her blood--she was born in Alaska. ;)

Sleepy...sounds like your daughter made a great decision, and congratulations are in order that she is able to attend the school of her choice! :thumbsup2

I'm not 100% but I certainly feel loads better today. I should've called for the antibiotic sooner, I suppose

So glad that your are feeling better and on your way to full recovery! :)

Granny, thanks for the reports on Aulani and DLRA/VGC. Every time I see someone eating a Dole whip here at Aulani I think of you. I was surprised to hear the entrance to California Adventure was strictly for VGC guests as when we stayed there in 2012 all of the Disney resorts used it. But it did move fast. Besides the photo taking delays when using a new ticket were surprised when park hopping that we had to get our hands stamped to get into the next park. Is that still true? It seemed a little old fashioned considering they had our photos and ticket information on file.

Granny, thanks for the reports on Aulani and DLRA/VGC. Every time I see someone eating a Dole whip here at Aulani I think of you. I was surprised to hear the entrance to California Adventure was strictly for VGC guests as when we stayed there in 2012 all of the Disney resorts used it. But it did move fast. Besides the photo taking delays when using a new ticket were surprised when park hopping that we had to get our hands stamped to get into the next park. Is that still true? It seemed a little old fashioned considering they had our photos and ticket information on file.

No hand stamping for me. They just scanned my ticket at the other park.

Granny, thanks for the reports on Aulani and DLRA/VGC. Every time I see someone eating a Dole whip here at Aulani I think of you.

I was surprised that everyone I saw there didn't have a Dole Whip in his/her hands (other than the multiple ones I bought during the week). I think a lot of the visitors didn't know what one was because a couple of times when I ordered them, someone would stop me and ask where I got it and asked what it was.

I was surprised to hear the entrance to California Adventure was strictly for VGC guests as when we stayed there in 2012 all of the Disney resorts used it. But it did move fast. Besides the photo taking delays when using a new ticket were surprised when park hopping that we had to get our hands stamped to get into the next park. Is that still true? It seemed a little old fashioned considering they had our photos and ticket information on file.

No hand stamping for me. They just scanned my ticket at the other park.

As Horselover indicated, we just got scanned each time we went from park to park. But the scanning was a little cumbersome (not bad) as the CM took the ticket, scanned it and waited for the picture to show up on his/her device and then verified it was really us and that we had a valid admission ticket. They were good at it and did it fairly quickly, but I was surprised this was their technology for park entry. No hand stamping as we exited and park hopped back and forth.

As far as the dedicated VGC guest usage of the hotel entrance to DCA, that was just the check-in desk CM who told us that. She also said that they had just changed out the room key card design to make it easier to ensure that only guests used it. But in practice it was clearly not exclusive to VGC guests, and my guess is that the CM was mistaken rather than the rules were not being enforced. Of course we all know that Disney is not the best rule enforcer in many cases, so it might be just a case where they don't ask, don't tell where you're staying. :)

Sleepy, I never asked which school you were visiting in Maine, but I had a feeling it was either Bates or Colby! Congratulations to your daughter I am sure she will be very happy there!

Sleepy your daughter certainly looks like you. I wish her a successful college experience.

Glad you're feeling better Ariel. Don't rush it. Get plenty of rest and let your body heal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter