Walking on Sunshine : Celebrating Spring at Universal & SeaWorld - an April/May 2016 PTR

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina

Life is short. Live it well.
So.....its time! :banana: With my most recent trip report officially wrapped up (you can find it here, if you missed it: http://www.disboards.com/threads/it...–-an-offsite-non-disney-christmas-tr.3472126/ ), it seems only fitting to start the countdown and the final planning for our next adventure.

The dates: April 23rd to May 3rd, 2016 :sunny:.

Spring in Orlando :cloud9:.....on this particular day, where the temperature outside was an unbelievable -30 C when I got out of bed this morning :cold:, the warmth and sunshine of central Florida can’t come soon enough.

This trip features an addition to our cast of characters than our previous adventures, and will introduce you all to the newest (unofficial) member of our little family. But to kick things off, some introductions are in order for any new readers and a refresher for those who have joined me before:

First, there’s me and my Steve. On this vacation, we will celebrate our 23d wedding anniversary (May 1st, 1993) .... and while this trip was originally planned to be a couples trip, it morphed into something a little bigger early last December. Steve and I are polar opposites but complete soul mates.....to quote Forrest Gump, “we go together like peas and carrots” :love:.

I guess, in essence, this is still a “couples trip”.....just TWO couples, rather than one. Our son, Jake (who just turned 20 in early January) had his heart stolen early last fall by a beautiful young lady who attends the same college as he does. In the words of F. Scott Fitzgerald, “They slipped briskly into an intimacy from which they never recovered”....and just like that, our little family of three welcomed “Sunshine” into the fold.

Jake and Sunshine both wrap up their college years just before our departure date. For Jake, this is his graduating year so he will have officially concluded his post-secondary studies in Community & Justice Services, making this trip a celebration of the end of his educational pursuits. Sunshine is a year younger, so she will return to school in the fall for her final year of Recreation & Leadership Services....but she celebrates her birthday on the day we leave for Buffalo (April 23rd).

Funny story about how Sunshine and Jake came to join this trip: back in early December, Steve had a small medical issue that landed him in the emergency department of our local hospital. While he was there undergoing some diagnostic testing, Jake and Sunshine dropped to check in and see how he was doing. With the four of us in the tiny ER room with Steve hooked up to the monitors, they shyly asked if we would consider allowing her to come along on our Christmas trip (December 18th to 27th). Steve and I readily agreed....in the three months we had known her, we had grown to adore this young lady with the big smile, effervescent personality and tender heart....but alas, despite an admirable amount of begging, pleading and negotiating on her part, her parents said no (which I totally understood). When they finally broke the news, they softened their rejection with the comment “You know, we just don’t want to have you away from home for Christmas. If the trip was in the spring or summer, we would have said yes in a heartbeat”. Well, you can see where this is leading. There was an excited shriek and she exclaimed “REALLY!!! Because they are going back to Florida on my birthday! Can I tell them that I can go on THAT trip?”. I am sure they almost fainted on the other end of the phone :faint:. They would have had no idea that we planned to return for another vacation in the spring and that as soon as they spoke them, they’d end up eating their words :rotfl2:. But, true to what they had told her, she got the blessing she so desperately wanted from Mom and Dad......and our trip for two morphed instantly into a trip for four.

So, once we were back from our Christmas adventures, there was lots to discuss and lots to plan! Quite possibly the last family vacation we will take for a long while, we wanted this one to be special. With Jake’s graduation, Sunshine’s birthday, and Steve & I’s anniversary, we wanted it to be a trip worthy of a celebration party:. With Sunshine along for the ride, we wanted it to showcase some of our favourite Orlando parks (and some experiences that we knew she would be wowed by). It was also our 10th trip to Orlando.....a milestone vacation for our family, who was sure that our 2009 Disney trip was a “once in a lifetime” event.

Yet with our crappy Canadian dollar (making virtually every cost more than 40% higher when converted from USD to Canadian funds :headache:), we would have to plan smart.....especially now that any expense we incur while in Orlando would be increased by the cost of an additional person.

All that said, we were up for the challenge: seeking good value accommodations, dining and attractions for our Orlando vacations was my favourite sport :thumbsup2. Let the games ... and the countdown.... begin! :cheer2: I hope you'll join me as we pass the next 69 days until we are on our way to the sunny south :goodvibes.

Spring in Orlando :cloud9:.....on this particular day, where the temperature outside was an unbelievable -30 C when I got out of bed this morning :cold:, the warmth and sunshine of central Florida can’t come soon enough.
But wait, I thought you were bringing the sunshine to Florida with you? So confused now.

I hope Jake will agree to send a little Sunshine to Florida for our March trip. :smooth:

Signing in, and along for this ride. Hey, 4 weeks from now, we will be just about checking into "Home".

Woot, I got first reply on Gina's TR!! :p

BTW - sitting at home on DIS because car won't start this morning in the frigid cold. Supposed to be at the gym right now with DS. Took me a half hour to find the plug for the block heater; I've never actually used the darn thing, and the plug has been tucked behind the relay box in the engine bay since the day it rolled off the assembly line. Hoping it will turn over after an hour or two of warming the block.

I'm coming along for the ride Gina!! Can't wait to hear about what you choose for attractions and accommodations!

I'm joining in as well! We're headed to Orlando in May, but not until the 20th. Looking forward to getting more ideas for vacation activities from you!

Well, I'm disappointed. I was hoping to be first but I've been scooped. It's also pretty darn cold where I am too. Strictly indoor activities today! I put a rather large turkey in the oven at 9am so that I couldn't even think about going out.

I think this afternoon calls for a fuzzy blanket, cup of tea and movie.

Woot! Anything about Spring has my attention since it is 9F right now. Snow to come tomorrow too.

So yes, bring the warmth and sunshine and some enjoyable reading.

Yippie PTR started! Can't wait to read along and just to make you jealous 77 and sunny on this Valentines day in lovely California. I will wish some sunshine and warm weather your way.

But wait, I thought you were bringing the sunshine to Florida with you? So confused now.

I hope Jake will agree to send a little Sunshine to Florida for our March trip. :smooth:

Signing in, and along for this ride. Hey, 4 weeks from now, we will be just about checking into "Home".

Woot, I got first reply on Gina's TR!! :p

4 weeks for you....I am so envious. Your escape from the deep freeze is imminent. The last month before travel seems to fly by.....so much to do to make the days pass quickly.

I am actually kind of worried about the weather on this trip......we have been so incredibly blessed on past vacations with literally perfect weather on every single one of them, one of these days, our week will be a complete wash-out. I keep thinking to myself, this is the trip we'll be plagued by rain every day. The law of averages says its bound to happen. We had perfect, IDYLLIC weather last year over the first week of May, its set the bar pretty high for this year!

BTW - sitting at home on DIS because car won't start this morning in the frigid cold. Supposed to be at the gym right now with DS. Took me a half hour to find the plug for the block heater; I've never actually used the darn thing, and the plug has been tucked behind the relay box in the engine bay since the day it rolled off the assembly line. Hoping it will turn over after an hour or two of warming the block.

Oh man, that stinks!! My car started okay, but the steering was soooo stiff as I left the house at 10 am in search of a coffee from Tim Hortons. Even after letting it warm up for 15 minutes, the car still felt frozen. Today was one of the few days of my life where I have resented not owning a coffee maker. That 1 km and back to the coffee shop was a killer!!

I'm coming along for the ride Gina!! Can't wait to hear about what you choose for attractions and accommodations!

I'm joining in as well! We're headed to Orlando in May, but not until the 20th. Looking forward to getting more ideas for vacation activities from you!

A big :welcome: to you both! So glad you have joined me on this PTR :goodvibes . Our tenative itinerary is coming up in the next post!

Well, I'm disappointed. I was hoping to be first but I've been scooped. It's also pretty darn cold where I am too. Strictly indoor activities today! I put a rather large turkey in the oven at 9am so that I couldn't even think about going out.

I think this afternoon calls for a fuzzy blanket, cup of tea and movie.

Yup, that was me, too. I curled up on the love seat in front of the picture window, and enjoyed a nap in the warm sun. Now I know why cats enjoy it so much!!!

Woot! Anything about Spring has my attention since it is 9F right now. Snow to come tomorrow too.

So yes, bring the warmth and sunshine and some enjoyable reading.

Nice to see you have started your PTR

Yippie PTR started! Can't wait to read along and just to make you jealous 77 and sunny on this Valentines day in lovely California. I will wish some sunshine and warm weather your way.

:welcome: my friends! So glad you guys are here as well. It wouldn't be the same without you.

Ritchielace, please feel free to send some of that spectacular California weather northward to your Canadian friends. Lord knows we need it!!

From the thermometer on my home office window....

I also really like the trip title you decided on:tiptoe::sunny:

Thank you! I wasn't feeling particularly clever today, so that was about the best I could come up with!!

Love the walking on sunshine title. I'm going to be singing each time I see your trip report. I'm so happy for your family that you are close to Sunshine.

Having boys I always worry they end up closer to wife's family. My only chance for daughters is a daughter in law so they need to choose wisely

Our itinerary:

Initially, the dates for this trip were planned with one sole intent: to allow us to squeeze in one final trip with our Premier AP’s from Universal. Having activated them back on May 1st, 2015 we knew our last opportunity before they expired would be the final week of April this year, so we booked our timeshare and gave it very little thought thereafter. Once Jake and Sunshine decided to join us, though, we had to decide how that would affect our Universal-focused itinerary....plus, we also now had our SeaWorld and Aquatica annual passes which were purchased on the 2015 Blue Friday sale, offered yearly by the SeaWorld parks on the Black Friday weekend. Steve, Jake and I had used our SW/AQ annual passes on our December trip, and Sunshine had received hers as part of her Christmas gift from us upon our return home.

Sunshine has been to Orlando twice before: the first time, back in the 5th or 6th grade to visit the Disney parks with her family, and a second trip three years ago to visit Discovery Cove for her 16th birthday. A girl after our own hearts, she was hopeful that we would choose to incorporate a DC day into the family plans....and it initially sounded like a perfect idea. As passmembers, we could secure a day for $99 per person for the day resort admission, or $169 each for a dolphin swim day. With SeaWorld and Aquatica included with the annual passes we already had paid for, the cost to add a DC day (day resorts for Steve and I, dolphin swims for Jake and Sunshine) would have totalled $458.97 with tax. Add an additional 40% in exchange (which is being generous.....as our dollar continued to slide, it most certainly looked like that was estimating on the low side), we were realistically looking at $643 for the day. Ouch :crazy2:.

Despite knowing that Sunshine’s heart longed for another opportunity to swim with the dolphins, I was having a really hard time with that cost for a one day activity. I had no problem with the price itself, just that it was all invested in one single day of our vacation. My mind started rolling around our other options :scratchin, and then Universal gave me a little nudge with the release of their “buy two days, get one day free” ticket offer for spring. With pen and paper in hand, I did the math.

Undercover Tourist was offering those tickets (which must be used in full before May 31st, 2016...perfect timing for our trip dates) for $195.66 each, tax inclusive. These were the park-to-park admission that would allow us to ride the Hogwarts Express between the two parks, something that we feel is vital to fully experience the two parks as they were meant to be enjoyed. For $391.32 including taxes and shipping ($539.36 Canadian, after exchange) we could add three days worth of fun to our itinerary rather than one single day at DC. Steve and I still had the active AP’s, so we would have no tickets to purchase for our admission, parking would still be free, and everything we ate or purchased would be eligible for our AP discount.

Sunshine has never been to Universal before, so both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure would be completely new experiences for her. Jake has not been there since January 2012, so he had yet to see Diagon Alley, the new Simpsons area, or even Despicable Me.

Steve and I debated the pros and cons of our options endlessly. We didn’t want to disappoint Sunshine, yet the value certainly seemed to be in the Universal tickets versus a sole day at DC. It was Jake that actually came up with an idea :idea: for a good middle ground, which allowed us to finally cement a decision: he suggested that we go with the Universal tickets (maximizing the value for our money), and he would arrange for Sunshine and himself to take part in the Dolphins Up Close Tour at SeaWorld as part of his birthday gift to her.

It was a brilliant suggestion, one which everyone was happy with :thumbsup2. The basic itinerary, then, began to take a little bit of shape.

Our first full week in Orlando will, as you might have suspected, be spent in our villa at our beloved Sheraton Vistana Resort. From Sunday to Sunday, that’s where we will be staying. Because flights home were so much cheaper on the Tuesday versus the Sunday, we opted to add two additional nights in Orlando onto the end of our Vistana week since to do so was essentially free (we spent the same for extra the two nights hotel as we would have in additional airfare for a Sunday flight home.....so the decision to stay two more days was a no brainer). Since we had SeaWorld & Aquatica AP’s, we chose a SeaWorld official hotel to secure not only a great proximity to those parks but also the free included benefits for onsite guests....specifically, free Quick Queue.

I cross referenced crowd calendars from Orlando Informer, the Dibb, and Undercover Tourist when trying to determine which parks we would visit on each date. In the midst of the planning process, a non-park special event (for which we are deliriously excited) was also was added into the plans.....the details of which you will hear more about later in this PTR, as it deserves its own individual entry. After what feels like a zillion revisions, I think we have finally come up with the following tentative itinerary:

Saturday, April 23rd: depart for Buffalo, in sufficient time to enjoy Sunshine’s birthday dinner at her favourite US restaurant, C hili’s. We are hoping that her parents and siblings will also be able to make the drive to meet us in Buffalo for that meal, so we can all celebrate her special day together. They live about an hour and 45 minutes away from Buffalo, so while it’s a long drive, it’s still very doable for them. Spend the night at the park and fly hotel, enjoying the pool and hot tub....and maybe some shopping at the Walden Galleria.

Sunday, April 24th: early morning flight to Orlando, arriving by 11 am (if not before). Check into the Vistana, then just enjoy the resort amenities for the balance of the day. When we are out getting dinner, we’ll probably hit up Publix for some groceries and adult beverages, and the kids will likely also want to hit up the Nike Clearance Store. There will be no specific plans for this first day, so we’ll just take it as it comes.

Monday, April 25th: a full day at Aquatica. We will rent a cabana and spend the day riding, sliding, and enjoying the park to the fullest. Sunshine has never been, and is a big ride lover, so as long as the weather cooperates, this should be a day when we open and close the park.

Tuesday, April 26th: a full day at Universal, starting in the Studios then moving over to IOA via the train.

Wednesday, April 27th: a day “off”. We will allow everyone to sleep in and get rested up. The day will be spent enjoying the resort amenities and FUN Team activities. I do have a character brunch tentatively scheduled for late morning at the Grand Floridian......Sunshine has never done a character meal before, so we really want to give her that experience! Its killing me to know that this single meal will cost us about $200 CDN after tax, tip, and exchange.....but some things are worth paying for. Ohana has always been our go-to character breakfast, but after it fell short of expectations over Christmas (we were so disappointed with our interaction with Mickey) we thought we’d give another location a try. I am sure we will also end up at the outlet malls at some point on this day. Steve and I may drop the kids off and let them shop while we spend a little time alone together.

Thursday, April 28th: a full day at Universal, starting at Islands of Adventure then taking the Hogwarts Express to the Studios at some point.

Friday, April 29th: a full day at SeaWorld. Jake and Sunshine will do the Dolphin Encounter. We will purchase Quick Queue when we arrive, and I have already purchased all day dining passes.

Saturday, April 30th: our special non-park event.....which for now will remain unnamed.

Sunday, May 1st: we have to check out of the Vistana and check into our SeaWorld hotel (the Residence Inn SeaWorld). Afterward, the balance of the day will be spent at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure.

Monday, May 2nd: a full day at SeaWorld. We have purchased all day dining passes for this second visit day, and we will have free Quick Queue as an onsite guest.

Tuesday, May 3rd: our flight leaves just after 11 am, so we’re checking out and heading to the airport after breakfast at the hotel. Upon landing in Buffalo, we hope to enjoy lunch at the Silo in Lewiston if it has opened for the season (a unique little establishment near Niagara Falls USA that overlooks the Niagara river......great food, gorgeous views! http://www.lewistonsilo.com/ ). We should be home by sometime in the evening.

It ended up to be a little busier than we had originally expected this trip to be, but it is important to make the most of this vacation for Sunshine’s sake in particular. We may end up reversing the plans for Monday (Aquatica) and Sunday (Universal).....just depending on the weather and any other factors which may make Aquatica a better choice later in the trip.

I am sure we will all sleep well on the plane on the way home! :faint:

Love the walking on sunshine title. I'm going to be singing each time I see your trip report. I'm so happy for your family that you are close to Sunshine.

Having boys I always worry they end up closer to wife's family. My only chance for daughters is a daughter in law so they need to choose wisely

Thank you and welcome!! So happy to have you joining in!!

Sunshine has been a huge blessing for us.....it is evident she loves Jake with her entire soul, and she has become like the daughter we never had. With her living here in our city and her family being 3 hours away, I have become like her second mother, and she often will come over and hang out with me when Jake is working. We have enjoyed many girls-only trips to the mall, movie nights, and more.....very special for me as the mom of an only child, and a male one at that. I can see this one perhaps being "the one" for my boy.....but of course, time will tell!

Last edited:
It was a beautiful sunny day here too but cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.

I am so excited for you! This trip sounds wonderful. I wouldn't worry too much about the weather, April is usually nice here.
Sunshine is absolutely beautiful, and you are right, what an incredible smile!

Here I've been checking the Orlando Hotels and Attractions board for you to start the new trip report and you were over here!
I just popped into this forum myself because I'm plotting Universal AP's again for 2017. On Friday dh was offered a job he had interviewed for and it's 20 MINUTES FROM HOME!!!!! If you recall, he's been living in Durham on weekdays for two years. We are over the moon. Naturally one of my first thoughts is that this means more money in the vacation budget with no more rent to pay on his Durham rental, and an extra few days of vacation to play with now.8-)
The new job has no waiting period for vacation to start so our May plans are still in tact and I am happy to plan along with you Gina, like we did for oh so many August trips!
Sunshine just looks like a kind soul. It's nice that she's slipped so effortlessly into your family. I can't wait to see what she thinks of her Orlando travels Bo-bina style!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter