Walking on Sunshine : Celebrating Spring at Universal & SeaWorld - an April/May 2016 PTR

I feel like I have given you enough time to unpack and ease back into life....so now I can say, I am ready for your trip report please! I started a blog last year, just really as a travel journal for myself. My parents find it interesting and that is about it. I thought you might enjoy reading about our short Disneyland trip though http://www.elenasdayoff.com/ The trip report was light on pictures, as it was soooooo crowded, it was hard to ever stop and take a picture!

I agree. We just had our Disney fix for a good long time. We are thinking maybe October 2017 before we return. So no MNSSHP for us this year. I am looking forward to Universal, HHN, Aquatica and possibly Seaworld!

SeaWorld........YES!!!!!!!! :banana: That would be a first visit for you, right? I think you would LOVE that park! (LOL, I guess its pretty easy to see that I do :blush: ... obviously that's my bias coming out, loud and clear)

We finally made our reservations - arriving in Orlando on December 6th and checking into WDW on December 8th for five nights. I've convinced my family that the Orlando Eye/aquarium/wax museum combo is a must do (because Gina said it was great). I cannot wait to start planning!

That is awesome! I hope you enjoy those attractions as much as we did. We actually bought passes for October as well....we enjoyed them so much the first time, we are going back for a second visit (the third for the Eye!!).

We miss each other by about a week! I'll be there 9/28-10/8. If it were just me and hubby again we would bypass MNSSHP because we have been three times already... But we have a couple first timers and I really think it's something they'd enjoy so we're gonna pony up the $90 a person :crazy2:
You're very lucky that you don't have to deal with the going home blues because you can already start planning your next adventure!!

It's not too late to change your dates, ya know ;).

Just kidding, of course. Well, only sort of :teeth:. It would have been SO cool to meet up!

I finally got caught up on your PTR and can't wait for the full TR. What a roller coaster ride it was just leading up to leaving on your vacation! I was so sad learning that Sunshine wasn't going to make it on the trip but truly understand - my youngest son has anxiety and it's tough just getting him out to go to dinner or the store. You definitely were blessed with lots of pixie dust before your trip - you definitely convinced me to look into staying at the Sheraton Vistana on one of our next trips. I checked out pricing today online and was amazed!!

That last pic of the plush dolphin - I almost pee'd my pants laughing! We are all sitting on the edge of our seats waiting to read about your trip! :surfweb:

Welcome aboard, heaven2dc! So glad to have you reading along :goodvibes. A trip report is poised for posting....stay tuned, its coming soon!

I feel like I have given you enough time to unpack and ease back into life....so now I can say, I am ready for your trip report please! I started a blog last year, just really as a travel journal for myself. My parents find it interesting and that is about it. I thought you might enjoy reading about our short Disneyland trip though http://www.elenasdayoff.com/ The trip report was light on pictures, as it was soooooo crowded, it was hard to ever stop and take a picture!

LOL, yep....I have been slow settling back in. But a trip report is coming, I promise you that....and sooner rather than later. I actually started the first entry this morning so hopefully it will officially be underway by this afternoon or evening. I have so many photos that are just dying to be posted!

Thanks so much for that link.....you know I'll be checking it out! I'm only worried that it might inspire me to consider a Disneyland vacation :scratchin.....LOL, a lot of my big ideas have come from the great reports from other Disers ::yes::.

I can't wait to hear all about your trip!! Are you doing a PTR for your October trip as well??

If there is time after I complete the trip report from April/May, absolutely! I am lonely when I don't have a report on the go....and it should almost be perfect timing to close off the spring TR and kick off the PTR for fall :thumbsup2.

:sail: He's looking for the trip report.

Glad to hear you had an awesome time. Looked like perfect weather too. Also happy Jake could join you again.

So, pictures and story soon? :bored:

I just caught up with this pre trip report, a bit late considering you are back from the trip! You are a great writer and I really enjoyed reading along. I hope our son who will be 16 on our next trip in August still wants to come along with us when he is Jakes age. I cant imagine going without him but we will probably go with friends once he goes off to Uni and then hopefully have usual family trip in the summer. We have been going every year since he was 5. 13th trip in less than 3 months. Ours is quite similar to yours, no Disney for 2nd year running, although we do have 4 days left on Disney water park AP's when we get there so will go every day for the first four. We have Universal, DC, AQ,BG,SW and also funspot, Gatorland. Thats enough to be getting on with. Plus just over three weeks at Bonnet Creek. Your resort looks very similar, nearly stayed there once and not sure why we went to BC instead but cant bear to go back and not stay there now!
I have done a trip report for last two years but only posted on UK board but think I will also post on here this time.

Because I'm feelin' rather sentimental this afternoon, I thought I'd share some of Jake's graduation pictures.

He will hate me for sharing this one, but I can't help it.....its one of my favourites:

I swear he was just holding my hand yesterday, and asking me if I wanted to play Hot Wheels with him while we watched an episode of Barney. Sigh.
What a handsome young man, must have a good gene pool.. You must be so proud of him. I am late reading your per, but have had a lot happening here.

Well my friends…..here’s a post I didn’t think I’d be writing, especially this close to our travel date. It’s a tough one for me too.

When we leave for Florida later this month, we will be once again travelling just as a family of three. Sunshine will no longer be joining us on our epic Orlando adventures.

As you might have guessed, this sudden change has not been an easy one for any of us…..much of this entire vacation was organized with Sunshine’s interests and overall experience in mind. We were all excited to show her “our” Orlando…..and the anticipation has been building for months as many special events for her specific enjoyment were added to our ever-evolving itinerary.

What I didn’t share with you so far is that Sunshine suffers from some pretty intense anxiety issues. She is very open with people about her struggles with mental illness (as is her family), so I am confident she won’t mind the limited information I will share with you as part of this post. Her struggles have been increasing substantially lately…..beyond anything that her parents, Jake, Steve or I could help her with. Sometimes, when it comes to issues like these, all the love and support in the world isn’t enough to “fix” things.

30070f956ff678052e0f8bde8a1e2a7c.jpg

Jake’s recent transition from college student to full-time work force has been an adjustment that has been particularly hard for her to bear. His frenetic schedule and long hours made supporting her emotional needs that much more difficult, and he was struggling emotionally under the pressure as well. He cared about her enough to know that their relationship would continue to be difficult for her when his work circumstances were not going to change. Under the current conditions, we also had our concerns about her anxiety levels on the trip (and how we would address any issues that arose, out of our home country and away from her support network).

It is beyond an understatement to say this was a painful and heartbreaking decision. Jake talked with both her and her parents, as did we, and even though we all felt it was ultimately the right thing for Sunshine (including herself), it has not come without a huge amount of heartbreak and tears.

quote-on-stigma-health-56-healthyplace.jpg

And so begins a new direction for this trip: the Three Amigos will be picking ourselves up, dusting ourselves off, and heading southward as planned, but minus our special guest. I have the unpleasant process, over the next few days, of adjusting our existing reservations….for character breakfasts, Dine with Shamu, SeaWorld tours, etc…..to a party of three from a party of four. Not a place we expected to be in right now, but I will hold tight to the belief that it has happened for a reason. We don’t always understand the “grand plan” until much, much later.

She and Jake will remain dear friends, and she will always hold a special place in Steve & I's hearts. We pray that she gets the help she needs to be happy and healthy. Her place in our family may have changed, but our love for her has not.

18 days to departure (almost to the minute). And if we didn’t need a vacation before now……well, we certainly do at this point.
So sorry to here this. Hopefully she gets well. I am sure Jake as well as you and Steve are saddened by this. Things happen for a reason.

What a handsome young man, must have a good gene pool.. You must be so proud of him. I am late reading your per, but have had a lot happening here.

So sorry to here this. Hopefully she gets well. I am sure Jake as well as you and Steve are saddened by this. Things happen for a reason.

Thanks dennise. So glad to have you back reading and posting! I hope all is well with you and your family :goodvibes.

HI Gina, I'm just a lurker but I wanted to say how much I enjoy your TR and PTRs. I usually don't like reports without chapters to skip to, but I find the banter between you and the other individuals on here so fun that I read every page. Truly, it feels like reading a novel with characters. I am finally caught up here only to find I am behind on the TR, so I will be checking it out over lunch for the rest of the week. I want to find out what happened with the dolphin (my DD5 loves stuffies, I try to keep purchases to the mini size ones) but I promise not to cheat and look ahead. :rolleyes1

thanks for all the time you put into this. The research is invaluable to so many others.

Heidi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter