Walking on Sunshine : Celebrating Spring at Universal & SeaWorld - an April/May 2016 PTR

The storm was just getting started when I left the house at 7:25 am this morning......here's what my neighbourhood looked like as the snow began in earnest:

Stay safe out there today, my Ontario peeps!

Looks just like my neighborhood in Buffalo! It was a rough ride into work and its still snowing. REALLY hoping for some semi-clear roads for the drive home! Stay warm!!

I can't believe all the snow you are getting , is that normal for your area?

When you first get to Universal go to guest services and tell them what you are celebrating. Don't forget to get anniversary buttons for you and Steve and graduation button for Jake. If Sunshine wants to go all out tell her they sell a plush birthday hat - it looks like a birthday cake with candles. We tried to get one for David but he was having no part of that!

They really will make a fuss over her, when David had his button on everyone told him happy birthday. A couple of places gave him free dessert but the cutest thing happened on Cat in the Hat. The CMs noticed his button and made a fuss over him. They all started singing happy birthday to him and everyone in line sang along, it was very sweet.

I don't know how you put up with the snow! Where I live it is quite literally chaos if we get just a small flurry so there is no hope if we have a proper snow storm :rotfl2:

Looks just like my neighborhood in Buffalo! It was a rough ride into work and its still snowing. REALLY hoping for some semi-clear roads for the drive home! Stay warm!!

I wondered if you guys were getting slammed as well.....it really doesn't seem to matter which side of that darn lake you are on, does it? Hopefully it doesn't get any worse than its currently forecast to be. They say we will see rain here by Friday....so we are in for a sloppy week when all this snow starts to melt!

I can't believe all the snow you are getting , is that normal for your area?

When you first get to Universal go to guest services and tell them what you are celebrating. Don't forget to get anniversary buttons for you and Steve and graduation button for Jake. If Sunshine wants to go all out tell her they sell a plush birthday hat - it looks like a birthday cake with candles. We tried to get one for David but he was having no part of that!

They really will make a fuss over her, when David had his button on everyone told him happy birthday. A couple of places gave him free dessert but the cutest thing happened on Cat in the Hat. The CMs noticed his button and made a fuss over him. They all started singing happy birthday to him and everyone in line sang along, it was very sweet.

Believe it or not, this year has actually been "easier" than normal as far as snow goes. Last year, we had so much of the white stuff that it actually fully buried our gas barbecue in the back yard. We didn't see it start to peek out from under the snow until mid-March, when the s-l-o-w spring thaw finally started. I was so hoping that we were past the worst of the snow for this year, but honestly, its still really early. It routinely snows here (sometimes significantly) well into March and even into early April. When we head to Florida near the end of April, we likely won't even have leaves on the trees yet.

I had never even thought about anniversary or graduation buttons......I know it drives some folks crazy to see people wearing them, but they are fun souvenirs to have :) . As for the hat with the birthday candles, can you believe I have one of those at the house? :teeth: The boys HATE it......yet it always seems to find its way out of the closet for their special days :rotfl:. I'll have to test the waters to see if its something she would wear :scratchin ... its certainly light enough to pack!

I love to hear the Universal TM's going the extra mile for the guest experience. What happened to David at Cat in the Hat is the kind of stuff that just makes magic on a vacation! Who says Disney has the corner on that kind of awesomeness? ;)

I don't know how you put up with the snow! Where I live it is quite literally chaos if we get just a small flurry so there is no hope if we have a proper snow storm :rotfl2:

Snow tires are a MUST ::yes:: ... as are good boots, warm coats, and quality gloves. I happen to have a pair of Minion mittens, made for me by a friend, that are my go-to accessory for the winter :teeth: .

I refuse to wear a toque, it destroys my hair :scared:. A girl has to have limits, after all :cutie:.

I love you Canadians..."Here is my house getting covered by snow as I left for work" No panic, life keeps going :)

Great plans so far, wow, this looks like another big trip! You guys do them right. How nice to receive the tickets as a gift!

I wondered if you guys were getting slammed as well.....it really doesn't seem to matter which side of that darn lake you are on, does it? Hopefully it doesn't get any worse than its currently forecast to be. They say we will see rain here by Friday....so we are in for a sloppy week when all this snow starts to melt!

I gues it doesnt matter! lol I think this week is supposed to be in the high 20's-30's, low 40's by next week. I'm always happy when the snow is done with, but the muddy mess left behind is almost just as bad!

I love you Canadians..."Here is my house getting covered by snow as I left for work" No panic, life keeps going :)

Great plans so far, wow, this looks like another big trip! You guys do them right. How nice to receive the tickets as a gift!

Ha ha! If things ground a halt every time it snowed here, we might better all become bears and just hibernate for the winter :dogdance:.

Hey, that's not a bad idea, actually :scratchin.

Much as we're used to it (or at the very least, expect it), I've never been able to embrace it. Seriously, get me to the south as soon as its humanly possible. I can honestly say if I never saw snow another day in my life, I wouldn't miss it. I love my country (well, some aspects of it), but I despise our climate.

Our annual passes (Steve and I's for Universal from last spring, plus the BOGO AP's for SeaWorld & Aquatica) have really, REALLY helped make us able to stretch our vacation budgets and been really excellent values. We can now pat ourselves on the back for smart purchases along the way. I honestly can't imagine having to pay for tickets on every single trip!!

I gues it doesnt matter! lol I think this week is supposed to be in the high 20's-30's, low 40's by next week. I'm always happy when the snow is done with, but the muddy mess left behind is almost just as bad!

Man, do I hear you on that one. I drive a white car, and it seems to be perpetually dirty from January to April.

Spring cannot come soon enough!!!

Ha ha! If things ground a halt every time it snowed here, we might better all become bears and just hibernate for the winter :dogdance:.

Hey, that's not a bad idea, actually :scratchin.

Much as we're used to it (or at the very least, expect it), I've never been able to embrace it. Seriously, get me to the south as soon as its humanly possible. I can honestly say if I never saw snow another day in my life, I wouldn't miss it. I love my country (well, some aspects of it), but I despise our climate.

Our annual passes (Steve and I's for Universal from last spring, plus the BOGO AP's for SeaWorld & Aquatica) have really, REALLY helped make us able to stretch our vacation budgets and been really excellent values. We can now pat ourselves on the back for smart purchases along the way. I honestly can't imagine having to pay for tickets on every single trip!!

That's true, life would come to a halt.

I was reading an interesting thread somewhere about the climate of Canada, how there is nowhere warm in the country that you can move to. Versus the U.S. where you can move to a warm state as long as you can find a job there (which is not easy!).

I hate snow too. When people say how much they love the "seasons" here, I want to say unless you are right on the equator, everywhere has seasons people, even Florida! :)

The storm was just getting started when I left the house at 7:25 am this morning......here's what my neighbourhood looked like as the snow began in earnest:

Stay safe out there today, my Ontario peeps!

That's not snow. Now THIS is snow:

Sorry, a little Canadian one-upsmanship. That was actually a few years back after a storm we named "big juicy". This is more what we look like now:

Although we may look a lot closer to the first photo by the end of the week.

Still a lot more than Toronto - A+ spent the weekend down there, and says they had no snow on the ground at all.

That's true, life would come to a halt.

I was reading an interesting thread somewhere about the climate of Canada, how there is nowhere warm in the country that you can move to. Versus the U.S. where you can move to a warm state as long as you can find a job there (which is not easy!).

I hate snow too. When people say how much they love the "seasons" here, I want to say unless you are right on the equator, everywhere has seasons people, even Florida! :)

The southernmost communities on the west coast of Canada are definitely the most moderate in the country. Steve's sister lived in Abbottsford, BC for 10+ years before moving back to Ontario. Both her kids were born there, and they often sent us pictures in February of the kids in mogging around the yard in their rain boots and spring jackets (while we had snow up to our armpits). I had to hate them a little bit for that ;) .

That's not snow. Now THIS is snow:

Sorry, a little Canadian one-upsmanship. That was actually a few years back after a storm we named "big juicy". This is more what we look like now:

Although we may look a lot closer to the first photo by the end of the week.

Still a lot more than Toronto - A+ spent the weekend down there, and says they had no snow on the ground at all.

Western Ontario is also not getting beaten up like us in the more eastern areas. Sunshine took her G road test today in Kitchener, and said the roads were barely wet :confused:. I patted her on the back for having the foresight to book her test in her hometown rather than here in Quinte, with our 35+ centimeters coming down so hard you can hardly see across the street. I may have to call in the sled dogs to get home :eek:.

You good folks in the Capital are most certainly heartier than we are ::yes::. When Jake was playing rep basketball we often traveled to the Ottawa region for games and tournaments....and the snow we saw (in comparison to what we had at home) was always humbling. I honestly don't know how you do it, year after year. Yet you awesome Ottawa folks generally seem to embrace it with your skating on the canal and winter festivals.

My approach is much different....fireplace on, laptop out, and planning for my next southern escape :rotfl:.

We didn't get the snow today, but we do have a bit in sunny southwest Ontario. So glad you are starting a new trip report. I haven't done anything about our six free nights at SVR. Waiting to see where DD ends up for post secondary ( we are in the midst of auditions) but we did get something new.image.jpeg

We didn't get the snow today, but we do have a bit in sunny southwest Ontario. So glad you are starting a new trip report. I haven't done anything about our six free nights at SVR. Waiting to see where DD ends up for post secondary ( we are in the midst of auditions) but we did get something new.View attachment 151642

No snow for you westerners? I am so incredibly jealous! Its still coming down here so hard that we can barely see across the street. They've closed every school, rec centre, sports program and even the YMCA. My office closed at 2 pm, and my boss graciously drove me home in his 4 wheel drive Subaru. Steve has been snowblowing our neighbours driveways all afternoon. I think we will easily meet the original 35 cm estimate...maybe even exceed it before its all over.

Your new little furbaby is so precious. Those eyes :cloud9:. I bet the kids have fallen completely in love!!

Gina, I just love your trip reports. Happily subscribing!

Thank you, and :welcome:! Glad to have you along!

I had anticipated I would talk about our flights today, but somehow, its all been snow chatter. Hopefully I'll get back on track later on!!

Well, its still snowing.......though I think its finally losing some of its intensity. I grabbed a few photos before the sun set:

(yes, that's one of my poor little evergreen trees under there!!)

67 days until the Florida sun :sunny:. My iPhone app currently shows Orlando as 23 degrees celsius right now......I am sooooooo jealous. We're at a tropical -2!

That snow was what we got this weekend. The huge amount of rain we had today made short work, just lots of puddles and water everywhere. Will be below freezing tonight, so ice will be ready for us tomorrow.

Hoping for some warmer spring temperatures.

Interested in what restaurants are on this agenda.

Okay, so you know how much of a cruel mistress (that is not exactly the word I am thinking right now, but family board) karma is? Here I jokingly posted a photo of Big Juicy just a few hours ago. Karma was not pleased with my taunt. So may I present Big Juicy II. This is my driveway as of 6:00 pm tonight, and there is at least 4 more hours of snow coming...

ETA: Oh yeah, next door neighbors are away for a couple of days, so guess who's looking after their place. I'm not half done. We also probably won't see a plow a down our street for another day or so (spent a good hour helping push cars up and down the street), so there will be that to deal with too...

What a lovely offer from your friend. I just know you will all have a fabulous time at the game Gina :)

Yep that's the snow we got today. A neighbour very kindly brought over his snowblower and took care of the driveway for me today. I told him no thank you when he asked so he waited until I went to walk the dog lol. We have one, but it's a beast and I don't know how to use it very well and it was out of gas :rolleyes:. Anyway I went out a few hours later and it was like the neighbour had never been there. Anyone who shoveled that heavy wet mess today knows what my back feels like right now. The plow came and made a wall of it at the end of the driveway. I was out there for at least an hour and a half and my back is screaming. Can't wait until dh is home to share these duties again!!

Anyway that is the end of my complaining. I have my tea, I took an Ibuprofen and I've signed on to the Dis to dream of warmer days and plan my trip~:sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter