Walt Disney Company Quarter 2 Earnings Report 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
DCL last to resume operation of their DPEP segments. "Not in the next few months."

Chapek says the good ideas in the parks before COVID will be good ideas after. There will be "trimmings" but they will continue. "Finer tooth comb" Cruise line will be last of the travel businesses to come back. Data shows long term that cruise line will be popular.

So except for Shanghai no real park news has been made here today. If they had a date for domestic opens I’m sure we would have heard it. I guess the news was in regard to preparing folks for potential modifications. They did say something in the Q&A about looking to use masks in the parks. Masks will be required in Shanghai for guests and employees and characters will be kept at a distance from guests. So the debates, the speculation and the uncertainty will drag on. Next real thing to see is when/how they communicate one way or the other on 6/1. Either way they are going to be dealing with upset people. They are obviously banking a lot on their brand carrying them through any bad PR that comes along

DCL Question...
Question: Can you cancel the pending orders for new (cruise) ships being built
Answer: "We agree that will probably be the last of our travel oriented businesses to come back online. Long term: something something about people coming back to cruising "obviously not in the next few months"
-- basically dodging the question but long term outlook looks good to them, one of the highest rated businesses in terms of guest satisfaction and repeat visits, High ROI business that creates long term value for shareholders

Also:
We had a lot of really big plans in the parks and still have really big plans. There are certain trimmings we are doing here and there to be responsible from a financial standpoint.... We are going to take a slightly finer toothed comb through those investitures.

"if we open up at less than 50% of our standard capacity we will probably not have trouble filling that"
will staff according to whatever the opening level ends up being, labor is considered a "semi-fixed" cost (basically it has some variability).

I have a different take. They will re-open when they will lose less money than when closed.
Yeah, that's what I gathered from "positive contribution." This to me is why the decision to reopen HKDL is intriguing; it's not as easy at the other parks (from a purely financial perspective).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter