Walt Disney Company Quarter 2 Earnings Report 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW A poster on wdwmagic, WDWPro, suggests the announcement at the earnings call will be Disneyland closed until the end of the year and WDW closed until (at least) August 1. There seems to be a question regarding the effectiveness of masks. I'm assuming compliance is one of the issues.

I hope he's wrong but ....it's questionable if Disney can enforce a mask rule. Read the many posts on the fan sites. Read news accounts.

LOL

There's zero chance Disneyland will be closed for the rest of the year and WDW will be closed 3 more months. Zero. I mean, I don't know where some of these people get this stuff. Its like they have no clue how a business works or is structured. I guess its just for clicks and gasps.

Disney's stock is up 1.5% so far today in pretty heavy trading.

WDW isn't going to keep its doors closed because of masks. Good grief.

FWIW A poster on wdwmagic, WDWPro, suggests the announcement at the earnings call will be Disneyland closed until the end of the year and WDW closed until (at least) August 1. There seems to be a question regarding the effectiveness of masks. I'm assuming compliance is one of the issues.

I hope he's wrong but ....it's questionable if Disney can enforce a mask rule. Read the many posts on the fan sites. Read news accounts.
I don’t expect any sort of announcement like that. Of course the parks will get mentioned but my guess is they will say something like we continue to evaluate the situation with local health officials. They aren’t going to extend closures until they have too.

If they know they can’t open DL for 8 months, there’s bigger issues afoot

If they announced that, Disney would lose half its stock value tomorrow, because people will assume that if DL is closed for 8 months, so is WDW. After all, WDW is it's own city. DL is just a really big theme park. How does this person think that if DL isn't going to open, but WDW would? Disney would literally be insolvent in weeks.

Its hilarious that people truly think this is even a remote possibility.

If they announced that, Disney would lose half its stock value tomorrow, because people will assume that if DL is closed for 8 months, so is WDW. After all, WDW is it's own city. DL is just a really big theme park. Disney would literally be insolvent in weeks.

Businesses arent on “pause” right now, they're losing money every day that theyre closed. Some will never open again. But you cant just say, ok we’ll open back up in 3-5 years, everything will be alright and we’ll continue exactly where we left off.

What happens to all of these employees? If WDW doesnt open until August, but a lot of businesses do, and same with DL for next year, do they expect their current employees to just sit at home until Disney reopens? Unemployment ends in July, unless its extended (I doubt it will be unless everything shuts down again) these people need to find jobs, and they probably arent going to be loyal enough to Disney to go running back to them whenever Disney is ready to reopen

Sometimes all you have to do when you read some of these “insider information” posts from internet strangers is take a step back, deep breath, put on your logical reasoning cap and ask yourself “does this sound like a rumor rooted in reality?” And you’ll come to the conclusion that it’s most likely not, dismiss it, and prevent its spread or give it any more credibility. Just like the guy who had information saying Disney World could open by the last week of a May, Disneyland staying closed through the end of 2020 (as in making that decision for the rest of the year TODAY) is not a logical rumor.

Can’t wait for John Hodulik’s question and response.

If they announced that, Disney would lose half its stock value tomorrow, because people will assume that if DL is closed for 8 months, so is WDW. After all, WDW is it's own city. DL is just a really big theme park. How does this person think that if DL isn't going to open, but WDW would? Disney would literally be insolvent in weeks.

You have several people here who believe WDW will open well before DL...

Disney stock closed at 101.09 today.

Just about to type this. Down about 2%. Nothing really earth-shattering one way or the other, although if Wall Street had fears of terrible news it would have dropped much more.

We estimate the COVID-19 impact on operating income at our Parks, Experiences and Products segment was approximately $1.0 billion primarily due to revenue lost as a result of the closures. In total, we estimate that the COVID-19 impacts on our current quarter income from continuing operations before income taxes across all of our businesses was as much as $1.4 billion, inclusive of the impact at the Parks, Experiences and Products segment.

We estimate the COVID-19 impact on operating income at our Parks, Experiences and Products segment was approximately $1.0 billion primarily due to revenue lost as a result of the closures. In total, we estimate that the COVID-19 impacts on our current quarter income from continuing operations before income taxes across all of our businesses was as much as $1.4 billion, inclusive of the impact at the Parks, Experiences and Products segment.
This number will decrease on a day to day basis in Q3 as they Furloughed employees April 18th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter