Week of Aug 14 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in the 2006 and/or 2007 Disney Half or Full marathons. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator

Looks like everyone's making great progress! Sounds like we're all moving up in the dogs categories. :pug: :dog: :dog2:

Tiff...wtg on your pace! And wtg for your mom registering! :banana:

Heather...congrats on your PR! What a pace! :cool1:

Lisa...congrats on starting your 'official' training! :dog2:

Sunny...wow...sounds like a nasty day! Great job getting through it! :banana:

Jodi...10 miles and a great pace! Two paws way up! :paw: :paw:

Cam...congrats on maintaining the intervals! Great pace! :cheer2:

Nancy...there's a Komen 5K at WDW in October, but that may be too late for you to make your decision. I'll have to track down the website that I was using to check for races in Orlando. It was a shoe store but I can't remember the name. congrats on moving to the new house! Do we get to see pictures?

Carrie...yay :cheer2: :cheer2: Will be great to see you guys on Friday! When do you arrive? Maybe you can make the Trail's End dinner.

Not much to report for me this week. I wimped out and stayed inside on the TM all week. :sunny: My pace with W3/R1 is hovering right around 16:00 on the TM. Starting Wk3 of the W/R the Half program tomorrow. I experimented with some extra running...did a quarter mile in 3 min.
I had a momentary glimmer of staying with the W/R program til end of Sept then switching to the R/W the half program, but not sure if I'm really up for that.

I haven't had any toenail issues yet, but my longest distance is 4.25 so we'll see. My toenails right now are green, but can also be purple or sparkly blue ;)

DH and DD12 did a 1 mile fun run yesterday in under 8 min, but both say they think the course was too short! They didn't use Garmin, so don't know. DD12 is starting competitive soccer tryouts this week. I'm going to have to work Sat long runs around her game schedule :eek:

I'm looking at 2 races right now...the 5K Bridge run on Sept 24 and at 10K at boca Grande the following week. Is it too much to do two races so close together?

Good training everyone!

Lisa....I can't find your marathon planning thread. I would be happy to make a Trails End ressie this week, but looking for a head count. What time does everyone want to eat Fri night?

chimera said:
Lisa....I can't find your marathon planning thread. I would be happy to make a Trails End ressie this week, but looking for a head count. What time does everyone want to eat Fri night?

Thank you so much...

here's the thread--perhaps a bump to get more votes
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=830380

I believe it should be early--around whenever they open for lunch. B/c we have our half-ers to think about who have to be up bright and early on Saturday a.m.

Evidently this worked very well for last time (only no PS's then!).

My friend brought my new mountain bike on Friday. :banana: Today I went for my first long ride. I did 12.5 miles in an hour. Definitely not big :dog2: stuff, but it sure felt good. My DH was just glad to finally see me get on a bike after spending lots of $$$ on jerseys, shorts, shoes, helmet, gloves, computer, pump, etc. I am giving major hints about a new road bike for Christmas.

Glad to see that everyone had a good weekend. Let's make it a great training week! :flower:

Hey guys,

Sorry I have been MIA the last couple weeks. I have been running though! Still doing my 4mile run twice during the week and a 6 mile on Sunday. I need to add one more 4 mile day into the mix and I really need to start pushing up the long run. Still on the treadmill and its getting boring! I think I'll set September as my goal to hit the open road though it will still be really hot.

I'm still going back and forth between MFM plan or Hal Higdon's plan so I need to make a decision very soon.

2 miles today---at a comfortable, but not easy pace.
Tomorrow is cross training, Thursday is 2 miles...then my "long" ;) ;) day on Saturday..a whopping 3 miles.

It seems we have extra weeks in our training this year--It's been one year since hurricane Charlie---and the start last time got off to an awkward one.

Nice to be part of the "training" WISH crew! Wahooo!!!!

Our team will be staying 3 nights this year--so we check in on Thursday night. Not sure if I will be adding a night or not. Have to check with hubby's schedule and see how it goes. I return that Tuesday from New Mexico.

Woo Hoo Woo Hoo Woo Hoo!!!!!

My mom just called (who is doing the 1/2 with me) and she is paying for our 4 nights at the Wilderness Lodge!!!!! :banana: :banana: I can't believe it. She's awesome! :cheer2:

I had made the reservation yesterday, but was still trying to decide whether to keep it our not. POFQ would be $300 less. And since I'm a SAHM with a kid in private school it's hard to justify that extra $300. But I knew this would be the 1st & probably only time for a while we stay on site.

She even told me to upgrade from standard to a better view room!

Well this will give me the adrenaline to get my 2 miles in today for sure.

Heather! Wow! You're doing awesome!

Jodi! 10 miles at 11, You are wher I hope to be. Way to go!!

Mel - At least you got the workouts in, TM or not. I was bad last week. Skipped Mon and Thur. :( Oh, I won't be in until ~11 Friday night, so no Trails End. I'm just happy that I'll be ther for Sat morning.

Tiffj - Have you looked into renting DVC points at VWL? That could get you the savings you want.

I know I missed a bunch, I'll try to catch up later.

We did do our 7 Saturday. We were in my home town and it was VERY hilly. Still maintained a little under 11, though. I was happy and not too dead. DH informed me that we start the real training next week. Yikes! No run tonight, but we'll do it tomorrow. I think we're up to 50 minutes.

Just sticking my head back in. I have been reading, just not positng. I got sick and took a week off from running, I can just never seem to get myself out there when I am not feeling good. Lets hope I am not sick for the race itself - Lisa I don't know how you did it last year!

Liz and Lily, I have to tell you I LOVE your breakdown of the race. I read the story and started tearing up at the office, it was awesome. Just what I needed to get me out there running again. We can do this! I remember a few years ago the thought of running 13 miles scared me to death, How could I ever go that far. Now I am trying for my first full and all those horrible feelings are back 10 fold. I need to just take it one day at a time and one mile at a time.

Thanks to all you regulars for organizing all of the shirt/dinner ressies/ weekly threads. I may not be posting lately, but I am still getting a great deal of support and community from this group. I will try to come back more often, cuz it will only get better.

Hi WISH Team!

Cam, those laces seem interesting. Not sure how they would be with my feet though. I lace them slightly diffferently bc it hurts across the top of the high instep if the laces cross. If you try them let me know.

Nancy, good luck with the move. That will be quite a job for sure!

Lisa, thanks for posting up your schedule. I will look at yours to compare what I am getting into. I am following John Bingham MFM program. Just not sure if I will try training the R/W or the W/R...must make a commitment and time available will be the determinant. I would love to try the R/W as it will build in more "stroll" time as I desire to take the entire time to enjoy the view.

News flash! DS asked me to enroll him in the half instead of the full bc he has not been doing any running yet and feels he will be most successful in the half. He will begin training when he returns to college since he enrolled in a running class. So, what I did was enroll both of us in both so we could have choices. I am still waffling over being able to complete the full. Now I can wuss out if I need. (I guess I needed the security blanket.) DH said he feels better that I did this. I told him our "$ contribution" would be to both events. Sigh. So now I can do whatever I want!
:teeth: :pug: :earseek: :confused3

I haven't been devoting as much time to the Pilates as I started out doing so this year. I kicked up my running and let the cross training fall away. Welllll, I am back with Pilates this a.m. I did something with my back over the weekend and I feel the slight strain. I need to get my core strength back. I am also wondering how I will be able to fit in cross training if I kick up to a 4/day R/W program. The beginnings are upon us soon. I'm looking forward to this trek.

Oh, fabulous. Last night I had my first marathon related anxiety dream. I dreamed that I got halfway through the full before realizing that no one had given me a champion chip. Therefore, there was no record of me being on the course (and no way to prove I'd already completed the 1/2 the day before) so no way for me to prove I wasn't cheating. So I just dropped out and went back to the hotel. Weird. But then again, I'm one of those people who frequently dreams that I find out the day before the final that I'm enrolled in a course I've never attended. Why do I have a feeling it's going to be a long four months? :(

I've slowly been ramping up the training, getting ready for next week when I "officially" begin the program. I'm doing four days a week of run/walking now, not long distances, just 40-50 min at a time to get back into the swing. And I'm doing two days of cross training with one day of sitting on the sofa! :rolleyes:

Happy training all!!

Be careful Lily, you may just become goofy and do both!

I didn't do a long run this week. I have been biking a ton since mother's day out is over for the summer and I can go ride while pulling the boy. I have also been swimming and doing speedwork (YUCK!!!!)

I went moutain biking and rock climbing this weekend. My husband was standing at the base of the cliff after we rappelled down looking at the map. When he took a step forward, i looked at where he had been standing. He was basically standing right over a timber rattle snake EEEEEEEKKKKKK. I calmly said, keep walking and he did. No snakebites thankfully. The snake must have just eaten because he didn't more much. It was very exciting. I figured that got my heart rate up enough to make up for one mile of running!

I just ran 3 miles pushing the boy (thought of you Lisa) I wish the treadmill was working. Who can say that???

Lily- Now you can go for the Goofy medal! ;)

The photos of my 5K are up on the web site. http://www.eventpictures.com/app/event/viewEvent?eventInstanceId=2958

My bib # is 71 if you want to check it out. That's DH next to me. He sometimes had to walk fast to keep up with my running (he runs 7 minute miles), but he was a great sport. I like the photo with a whole crowd of people behind us. Of course, the one with the little girl in the background makes me laugh. My DH said "We can't let that little girl beat us!" I told him that I was running my own race, and she could beat me. Well, when we got within 500 feet of the finish line, that little lady took off like a shot and finished far in front of us. My DH turned to me and said, "You're right, we couldn't have beaten her." :rotfl: So I guess my next goal should be to run fast enough to beat an 8 year old. :rolleyes:

TXBelle said:
Lily- Now you can go for the Goofy medal! ;)
MelRhoads said:
Be careful Lily, you may just become goofy and do both!
Shhhh! :ssst: I don't think so. ;)

Love the pics you are so lucky to have a DH that will run with you. Will he do it for all or was it just this one?

Disneefun, DREAMS! :rotfl2: Mine started early for last January too. I had the dream that as I lined up, my legs went to rubber, kinda like those little collapsable puppets and I would just slog along not getting anywhere. What a recurring nightmare!

Hey all! I am back! My computer crashed and I lost so much stuff :badpc: We had to get a new hard drive! Anyway...Bree has been keeping me up to date.

Later all! DDs are starting school Wednesday and we are going to meet their teachers.

OHH.......I bought me a "swimming bathing suit" and a swimming cap. My DH thinks I am crazy b/c I walk around the house with it on. :rotfl2: Anyway, We are going to join the YMCA so we can swim and I MAY have a friend who will let me have an OLD road bike. :teeth: :teeth: I am a HAPPY GIRL!
Christa

Christa - glad you are back! Sounds like there is a triathlon in your future!!!!!! You could not pay me to walk around in a swim cap. They give them to you at the tri's to make it clear which wave you are in. Sometime when i get really brave, i'll post a pic from mine with the cap on. it is lovely. I look a little like a match that has not yet been struck!

Hey Trainees:

Glad to see everyone's doing well. I'm still recooperating from my run on Sat., it definetely didn't feel as good as the 8 I ran the week before - not sure why. I felt like doody when I was done.

Carrie- If you're running 7 now, you can do 10. Those hills you're running take a lot out of you! I bet you if you could map out a sorta flat course for yourself you could run 10 no prob. I jumped from doing 6 & dying, then waited 3 weeks 'cause I was bummin', to 8 which felt great (cause you all told me sloooow doooown), to 10 which, well...ok, I shuffled the last 2 miles :blush: , but I still didn't stop.

DisneeFun- Holy cow, you're having dreams already? :earseek: Stop! I know I'm going to start having those soon. My stomach keeps doing this :Pinkbounc every time I think about waking up that a.m. & going to the corrals w/ my mom. She's walking the 1/2.

Question to you all about cross-training. I've been riding my bike for a 1/2 hour in the early a.m.s on my C/T days, but I have a feeling I'm not "doing" it right because I'm enjoying myself too much. Do you guys go "crazy" hard w/ C/T, or is it more of a mellow thing? Sometimes when I go to the gym I use the elliptical-thinga-majiggy, but I don't make the resistance super hard or anything. Don't get me wrong, I work up a stinky sweat, but I always feel like I should save the thigh-screaming for my runs. Any thoughts?

Oh yeh, does anyone know where there's a list of all of us & who is competing in what race? Curious to know who I'll meet up with on the a.m. of the 1/2 in my "slowpoke" corral!!

Happy training!!

Jodi

TXBelle-- Wow! all that bike gear. Glad to see you put it to good use! Congrats! And great pics, too!!! :cool1:

Tiffj-- That's great you're doing a Mother/Daughter thing! I hope one day my DD will do one with me. And she's picking up the bill, too? Wow, don't think DD would ever do that!

Kaf-- glad to see you back. Your racking up the miles!

Lily-- DS gets to take a running class! I'm jealous, he actually gets college credit for running!

Disneefun-- Oh that's a terrible dream! Now I'm going to have it, too!!!! I often have a variation of Lily's dream-- running but not getting anywhere. Freud where are you????

Mel-- As I read your post I started to think, "wow, I'd like to go rock climbing-- never been" but then I got to the snake part and changed my mind! Wow!

Jodi-- I go crazy hard with my cross-training. I was cross-training before I was marathon training and I just didn't reduce the intensity any. I do rowing, stairMaster, elliptical trainer, TaeBo and weight training. My favorite is TaeBo and weight training. (I love Billy Banks :lovestruc ) The others are simply to burn calories and build cardio endurance.

I did a TM run today. It was actually cold out, but I didn't plan on the temperature dropping 25 degrees today so I did my TM run. 7 miles, 5 at 6.5 mph/9:13 pace. It felt good. I made up my training plan over the weekend. I have one race before WDW in Oct (a half) and I'm not getting talked into any more. They mess up my long runs.

I haven't started having the weird dreams yet but I find I'm getting a little paranoid about getting injured. I wore new socks on my last run and felt a tiny twinge in my upper right foot/ankle area and started freaking out! Then, I kind of lost my footing on my stairs and did a quick weight shift and thought, "OMG, what if I fell???" I think its time for some relaxation tapes :rotfl:

Now I'm off to the gym to reduce my arms to jello. Oh I love doing that :p

Sunny

Sunny

Sunny- When you figure out how to get rid of this dang arm jello, let me know. I'm off to the gym to try & do the same! Ugh. :rotfl2:

Jodi - This is the latest list I've seen. Mel is keeper of the list.

Screen name Name Location race
Chimera Melissa FL half
kaf7878 Kelly FL full
Lisa Loves Pooh Lisa FL full
sap1227 Christy FL half
welovedis Karen NY half
tracy51 Tracy TX half
wiskband Renee NY half
Kimickey Kim MD half
zagafi Pam MO full
Stepharoonie FL full
little grey donkey Helen NZ full
perfectmatch300 Nancy FL half
TXBelle Heather TX half
LittleMissMickey Ashley MN half
Lani Lani mouseplanet half
TammyNC Tammy NC half
HookdonWDW Lisa AL half
crzy4pooh Lynnda FL full
wfloyd Bill FL full
MelanieC Melanie PA half
ZerasPride Lisa OH half
njcarita NJ half
cra-z-4-dizney half
valentine Kathy NY
Princess VIJA
shari2shop Shari TX half
LAWalz23 Lori NY
sunkissed212 Kimberly MI half
GrangerGirl Suzanne GA half
MickeySP Lisa half
Jroglitz Jennifer MD half
CarolA TN half
lizdotcom99 Liz IN half
my3boys half
momsully Christine CO half
keenercam Cam DE half
KeenHo Howard DE half
wtpclc Carrie MI full
DisneyGirl full
kimble Susan CA full
Tiggeroo Tina NJ
hAM53 Chris NY
goofyshell Michelle KY half
sara Sara IN Goofy
2angelsinheaven FL half
HINative HI half
pixiechic Colleen full
Jynohn full
CaitlinsMommy Betsey PA half
NCRedding NC half
tlkkrados Laura half
hunter0499 NJ half
Cherylbug Cheryl GA half
Alysa Alysa ON full
WDWFAN9 Pat IL half
starnerella Jackie NC half
Chropistopy Christy half
panthergirl Susan NC half
Bea Tammy CA half
hipporina Kristy TX full
secox28 Sharon OH half
DisneeFun Jennifer NC Goofy
mic&min half
xterratri Lynne ME Goofy
Leota NY half
Calcio Craig MA Goofy
cheyita Karen IL half
jennz Jennifer IN half
Mom21 half
boolou Jen full
heart4dis TX full
mshrm Lori half
SetzKitten Cody half
agotta Amanda VA half
DVDguy Kevin VA half
wogger half
Nycpa Kathy NY half
TigerLily03 Lily OH full
Stitch Lover Sith Erin NY half
murcor Angela half
Zela AL half
swandiverpatt IN half
goingthedistance Paul and Beckie NM full
Penny MN half
sunshine girl Laura IL full
lacool Leigh Ann NC full
donac Dona NJ half
pixiedust27 Jessica half
jajuan TX half
disneybelle Darcey NJ half
zoegirl Bree NC Goofy
Alice Sr. IL half
monte Monica CO half
scanmom half
aladdinsgirl Krista OH half
skfulkers Steve OH full
calena CA half
Angie_OH OH half
Minnie half
gatorphipps Christa NC Goofy
Gymbomom Corey TX half
MelRhoads Melissa AR Goofy
plutosmyfav Sunny MA full
Dina Dina PA full
Pollioni Robb ON full
Zoesmama Melissa AZ half
solotraveler MI full
disnutt Kiena CT

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter