• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Week of Aug 14 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

TXBelle said:
I like the photo with a whole crowd of people behind us:

Those are great picture, I like the one coming off the bridge too! By the way, you look Marvellouss!!

Sunny, work on those arms a bit for me too! That is one area that I really neglect.

Jodi, I really need advice on a cross training plan too. I really dislikes resistance training. I was wondering if water aerobics would be alright and then maybe a pilates class... any advice anyone?

Christa, glad your computer problems are behind you. I am new as of last week or so. Bree shared a picture of the two of you with Winnie the Pooh, so cool, you two looked like you really had a blast.

Lily, I like that insurance idea (registering for both). My DH is thinking about registering for the full with me. He has his own marathon scheduled for the middle of December. If he runs that he will just run along side of me, but if things don't work out with his own marathon training will wait and run Disney "for real".

Tiff, what a great mother you have! Have fun at WL.

I had a terrible run on Saturday, fought through 4 miles, I hope to do 6 tonight. Mental note to self: Stretch, stretch, stretch. Why is stretching so hard for me???

Mel, keeper of the list, could you add me to the list, doing the full.

Colleen

Hi there. I've been travelling for the past 2 wks and am proud of myself for sticking to my training schedule. I could have wimped out and put it off but I've hung copies of the half and full marathon courses on my fridge so that I see them first thing in the morning. It's hard for me to deny that I'm in need of training when I can see the happy course pictures facing me.

Mel- I was wondering if you could add that I'm doing the Goofy to the participant list? I'd appreciate it.

Tiff- I'm envious that you have such a cool mother to be running the race with you AND paying for a premium room. My mother doesn't understand my love of Disney or running.

Inspired by Jodi/Sunny and others complaning of jello arms. I've been trying to hit the gym 2x per week for the last month any idea when I might see some benefit? I can feel my muscles after I'm done and I notice that my back and shoulders don't feel so tired after a long run but will I ever LOOK any better?

Take care,
Kiena

Jodi- I will definately be in the slow poke corral with you! See you bright & early. Now that I have my ressie I am so very excited too.

Mel- please add me to the list to TiffJ Tiffany AL doing the 1/2 Thanks!

disnutt- yep I have a pretty cool mom. She understands the racing thing. She was a runner when I was a kid & always ran the Peachtree Road races in Atlanta. However, she does think my love(o.k. obsession) with Disney is a little over the top. I tell her compared to some people on these boards I'm minor league. BTW- congrats on doing the goofy ,WTG!

Jodi - If you are having fun cross training on a bike, that makes total sense, because biking is the BEST!!!!!!! It is fun, there is nothing you can do to avoid it!

Sunny - We climb at least two times a month, and that is the FIRST time I've seen a snake. My dad is always surveying the woods, and that is his first rattle snake! I think it was unusual. Phil and I have only seen a rattlesnake one other time and we were backpacking by a river. That time we heard it before we saw it. Needless to say, it was rattling, so we didn't get a good look at it! As for the rock climbing, it will reduce your arms to jello. The bad part is, you have to cut your fingernails so they don't get bent back. Alos, every picture that people get of you is of your rear because you are generally dangling above their heads!

Morning all - everyone looks busy. I did okay this weekend, ran for 1 hr 50, then came home, went to the bathroom, drank something sugary and set off for another half an hour - about 10 minutes in though it started hailing then it was freezing sheet rain, I was so cold and just trying to decide what to do when I heard 'beep, beep, beep' behind me and my boyfriend had come to rescue me!!! Very happy. I did about 11 miles in my two hours - not exactly superfast, but if I can keep that up for the race I'd finish about right.

I seem to have missed the snake post - not sure about a sport that brings you into contact with snakes - although Mel (chimera Mel) you'd better add that the list of lifestock we had going earlier this year - talking of which where's Lynne and Erin and mum gone?

That's my lot today - the book is finished (hooray) but all my clients have just realised that it's coming up to the point in the year when I take a month off (to go see all of them in England) and so I'm not exactly getting a rest. Off to vote in the various polls now and then it's time to work. Helen

Hi everyone,

I have a confession to make - it will be a week tomorrow since I have done any training :blush: and tomorrow will be a big fat 0 also because my DS is turning 12 :earseek: (OT - how the heck do they grow up that fast????)

I really need to get my tail back on the road but the time off has helped my poor blistered cut feet heal slightly.

I have to get back on my training plan to have any hopes of registering yet alone competing the 1/2. I wil be back on the road come heck or high water Wednesday!!!!!!!

Jodi said:
Sunny- When you figure out how to get rid of this dang arm jello, let me know. I'm off to the gym to try & do the same! Ugh. :rotfl2:

Actually, Jodi, what I meant was I was going to lift weights until my arms had the strength of jello. At the risk of sounding immodest I will say I have melted every last ounce of jello off of my arms (and believe me I had a few gallons worth :rotfl2: ). I do serious lifting-- to the point of complete muscle fatigue. Its really uncomfortable when you first start lifting, but then it becomes addiction just like running :teeth: By the time I hit the shower I can hardly use my arms, but within an hour they feel great and I never have lingering soreness anymore. Maybe I'll post a picture of those cut babies some day :p (I won't be posting any picture of my legs on the other hand). Anyone know how to lose the saddle bags? I keep thinking they might fall off one of these days on a long run :rotfl:

Mel: As for snakes. I was once fishing at a lake in Colorado with my cuisin and she mentioned something about a snake. I mis-understood her and jumped and screamed and caused my grandfathers tackle box to fall in the lake. A poor man came running from clear across the lake to inform me not to worry that the snakes in that area were'nt poisoness. We didn't have the heart to tell him there wasn't even a snake to speak of. So just reading your stories makes my skin crawl!!!! I wish I had more adventure in my fitness quest though. Your adventures sound so exciting. Any rock climbing I'm likely to do will be on a wall...

Helen, there was a list of livestock? Well I have one. Once when I hit the bikepath at 5AM, being the first human to cross, I came across a deer standing right in the middle of the path. I kept running toward her expecting her to bolt and she didn't. I finally slowed to a walk and then stopped about 60 feet from her, she finally darted off. We ran parallel for a brief moment, but it appears she had been working on her speed work more than I, for she was gone in seconds!

Sunny

Pilates this a.m. Haven't done them in about a week..so it felt good to do it again.

Everyone looks like they are doing great.

Got on the scale this morning--my "squishy" diet worked. I am about 5-7 pounds more squishy. I don't know why I don't care--but I don't.

I will focus on healthy eating now that the last bit of oreos is out of the house. All that's left is ice cream stuff. Got Godiva chocolate ice cream for B1G1 free at Albertson's for that once a month witch attack. It should do just the trick. But other than that, I'm banning cookies from the house. They are my weakness. I cannot resist. What are those chips that say you can't eat just one. Well that, for me, applies to cookies!!!

plutosmyfav said:
Maybe I'll post a picture of those cut babies some day :p
Sunny

Sunny, I would love to see some pictures! I just noticed you hit your lifetime goal with Weight Watchers yesterday. :banana: Congratulations!! :cheer2:

80 lbs. lost, you must feel absolutely wonderful!! Please, please share some pictures with us, I find them so motivating!!

Colleen

Holy Cow Sunny!! You lost 80 lbs? That is unreal, good for you!! Please, tell me how to lose my arm JELLO! It's not really jello, just no definition. I've been lifting for a while, maybe I'm not concentrating on arms enough, as the rest of my body has sorta responded.

Kiena - Are you running any road races in CT anytime soon? I'm running a 5k in Windsor this Sunday. It'd be nice to meet up for a race sometime b-4 Jan.

Minnie- don't worry, you'll get back on the program. Sometimes a week off isn't a bad thing anyway, gives your body time to recoop. Having said that...REGISTER today!

Jodi

Way to go Sunny on reaching your WW lifetime goal! :cheer2: :cheer2:

It was back to the gym today for 2.5 miles on the TM. I was able to continue the run3/walk2 program. Woo hoo! If I run more than I walk, does that officially make me a runner now? :paw:

Screen name Name Location race
Chimera Melissa FL half
kaf7878 Kelly FL full
Lisa Loves Pooh Lisa FL full
sap1227 Christy FL half
welovedis Karen NY half
tracy51 Tracy TX half
wiskband Renee NY half
Kimickey Kim MD half
zagafi Pam MO full
Stepharoonie FL full
little grey donkey Helen NZ full
perfectmatch300 Nancy FL half
TXBelle Heather TX half
LittleMissMickey Ashley MN half
Lani Lani mouseplanet half
TammyNC Tammy NC half
HookdonWDW Lisa AL half
crzy4pooh Lynnda FL full
wfloyd Bill FL full
MelanieC Melanie PA half
ZerasPride Lisa OH half
njcarita NJ half
cra-z-4-dizney half
valentine Kathy NY
Princess VIJA
shari2shop Shari TX half
LAWalz23 Lori NY
sunkissed212 Kimberly MI half
GrangerGirl Suzanne GA half
MickeySP Lisa half
Jroglitz Jennifer MD half
CarolA TN half
lizdotcom99 Liz IN half
my3boys half
momsully Christine CO half
keenercam Cam DE half
KeenHo Howard DE half
wtpclc Carrie MI full
DisneyGirl full
kimble Susan CA full
Tiggeroo Tina NJ
hAM53 Chris NY
goofyshell Michelle KY half
sara Sara IN Goofy
2angelsinheaven FL half
HINative HI half
pixiechic Colleen full
Jynohn full
CaitlinsMommy Betsey PA half
NCRedding NC half
tlkkrados Laura half
hunter0499 NJ half
Cherylbug Cheryl GA half
Alysa Alysa ON full
WDWFAN9 Pat IL half
starnerella Jackie NC half
Chropistopy Christy half
panthergirl Susan NC half
Bea Tammy CA half
hipporina Kristy TX full
secox28 Sharon OH half
DisneeFun Jennifer NC Goofy
mic&min half
xterratri Lynne ME Goofy
Leota NY half
Calcio Craig MA Goofy
cheyita Karen IL half
jennz Jennifer IN half
Mom21 half
boolou Jen full
heart4dis TX full
mshrm Lori half
SetzKitten Cody half
agotta Amanda VA half
DVDguy Kevin VA half
wogger half
Nycpa Kathy NY half
TigerLily03 Lily OH full
Stitch Lover Sith Erin NY half
murcor Angela half
Zela AL half
swandiverpatt IN half
goingthedistance Paul and Beckie NM full
Penny MN half
sunshine girl Laura IL full
lacool Leigh Ann NC full
donac Dona NJ half
pixiedust27 Jessica half
jajuan TX half
disneybelle Darcey NJ half
zoegirl Bree NC Goofy
Alice Sr. IL half
monte Monica CO half
scanmom half
aladdinsgirl Krista OH half
skfulkers Steve OH full
calena CA half
Angie_OH OH half
Minnie half
gatorphipps Christa NC Goofy
Gymbomom Corey TX half
MelRhoads Melissa AR Goofy
plutosmyfav Sunny MA full
Dina Dina PA full
Pollioni Robb ON full
Zoesmama Melissa AZ half
solotraveler MI full
disnutt Kiena CT Goofy
Stephenie FL half
princessmomma Colleen NC full
TiffJ Tiffany AL half
Jodi Jodi CT half

On matters of the list...There's a handful that are 2007 participants, but we are well over 100 people that have signed in and expressed interest in being there in 2006. It would be great to hear from those that we haven't heard from in awhile!

It's been a great journey so far, getting to know everyone and cheering on all the victories we've had in our individual races. I'm getting really excited for the time when we get to meet and do this together! It's starting to seem more real...especially since we're able to do some planning stuff now!

I haven't taken anyone off the list, but I can do so if people let me know they'd like to be removed. Please feel free to PM me if you don't want to post to the thread!

Heather...great race photos! Congrats!

Sunny...congrats on your weight loss! :worship: We'll add Bambi to our livestock collection...so far we have my zebra, Helen's elephant (or was it a camel), Lynne's goat, and Mel's rattler. Anyone else? :teeth:

Sorry to be short today!

If anyone's interested, here's DH and DD12 at their 1 mile fun run last weekend. I didn't compete...stayed at home with the wild todd!

http://www.photos-by-shack.com/step_2.php?id=14788
http://www.photos-by-shack.com/step_2.php?id=14789

Chimera - Can you add my DH to the list? He is Goofy too...well, and he is running Goofy! :rotfl2: Anyway, he knows all about the goings on of the Dis boards, just does not have time to post. He will be with me @ Trails End. How do I sign up for that? I tried the little poll thing, but it won't let me do anything.

Melissa - I too look like a match. I put on for one of my friends b/c she needed a laugh. It worked!

Sunny - You are DA BOMB for loosing that weight! :banana: :banana: :banana: Was it on WW? I do that too, but my last 15 is killing me! It won't come off. It may be the amount of food I have been eating lately! But I run 30+ miles a week and I am HUNGRY! :mickeybar

Lisa Loves Pooh - I LOVE OREOS! :lovestruc

Later!
Christa

Back from long workout and sushi. We did a 20 mile bike ride and 3 mile run. Then the combo lunch box with calif. roll and 4 pc sushi. YUMMY. No critters except lots of deer today.

gatorphipps said:
Chimera - Can you add my DH to the list? He is Goofy too...well, and he is running Goofy! :rotfl2: Anyway, he knows all about the goings on of the Dis boards, just does not have time to post. He will be with me @ Trails End. How do I sign up for that? I tried the little poll thing, but it won't let me do anything.
he is added! I usually keep family, friends or teams in the 'comments' column of the list and just have people who've actually posted as 'official' members.

Trails End will be done as a group reservation. If you just post to that thread and let us know how many people to expect, I'll try to do the rest!

Jodi- How did I miss the one in Windsor? We just moved from there. The only thing I'm signed up for is the Hartford half in Oct. Will you be there?

Sunny- Congrats on the weight loss! How long did it take you to get your arms cut? I'm working on the weights. I sure hope I get hooked on it soon. It really is an accomplishment just dragging my jello arms/legs through the gym door. I procrastinated yesterday and didn't make it until 8:30 pm but I finally got in there.

Chimera-thanks for making me Goofy!

My 9yo DD and I will do a 2 mile jog tonight at her request. She's going to be quite the runner! I hope I'm instilling healthy habits because I'm trying.

Good day

princessmomma said:
Sunny, I would love to see some pictures! I just noticed you hit your lifetime goal with Weight Watchers yesterday. :banana: Congratulations!! :cheer2:

80 lbs. lost, you must feel absolutely wonderful!! Please, please share some pictures with us, I find them so motivating!!

Colleen

Oh you guys are so sweet! Thank you for all the complements. Well, you asked for them...

Here's a "before" picture to get some perspect :)
This was April 2004
april04.jpg

I have to add, I have always struggled with my weight but usually managed to keep it somewhat stable with tons of exericse (surprize, surprize). Then motherhood took a toll on me. My second pregnancy (2000) I developed preg. induced hypertension and was on bed rest for 8 week. That was hard. Then in 2003 I got divorced and my DD (then 13) went through some really hard times and I gained somewhere around 65 pounds that year.

I lost the weight with WW. I started Sept. 13, 2004

OK, here are the arms (most of me managed to get in the pictures, too).

arms2.jpg

arms3.jpg

arms4.jpg

I've been lifting weights for about 4 years (long before the weight loss). I started getting really serious about it when the weight started to come off and I could see my muscles. Yippee :cool1:

I have to say, if you want to see real results you have to get real serious. Never lift more than you can while maintaining good form. But you really gotta feel it! I see a lot of women at the gym just kind of going through the motions. It really helps to concentrate on the muscle being worked and how you want them to respond.

Thanks so much for being interested :blush:

Oh, I did an 8 miler today on the bike path. The weather was beautiful. I averaged a 9:29 pace. What a relief after last weekend's snail run.

Sunny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter